Go Outdoors

Go Outdoors Employee Reviews

United Kingdom256 reviews
Great if you love the outdoors. Enjoyed my time there, but there was not enough hours with almost no progression oppertunities for what I needed. If your a student or looking for part time work, this would be great for you. If your looking for a long term career, this might not be the place for you.
Pros
Staff and management were great. Variety of jobs to keep you busy.
Cons
Minimum wage. Lack of hours and progression.
Worked there for 5 years and in that time every manager that they had was poor. Couldn't delegate jobs equally, one was a bully, one disappeared from the store and started cutting trees down in the car park when it got busy, and the other use to stay in his office in the dark. The more you did for them, the more they expected. Apart from the management team, the staff i worked with were great. Made some good friends, but definitely won't miss working there.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
No air conditioning, so it's unbearable in summer. And absolutely freezing in the winter. Also terrible managers.
The job was ok I enjoyed working there. Management is fair and nice. No problems working there at all I would recommend . Pay was fair. We got to go to product launch wish is good. Get free stuff and lunch
Pros
Good vibe. Nice management
Cons
Early mornings
days off would be changed with no notice.
ie you could be leaving at the end of your shift with next day as off, to be told "You are required in tomorrow" and were expected to cancel everything you had arranged including things like dentist appointments.

if not you were marked down as absent.
Pros
good discount
Cons
you were expected to live there evry thing outside life not important to them
Worst company ever to work for. If you even think about working for this company, then you seriously need your head looked at. Terrible mangement, terrible pay (£7.67 ph), no training at all, no holidays, no breaks (if you need a toilet break, you have to go in a bottle), terrible hours (6 if you're lucky), empty shelves everywhere. Which makes it a terrible company to shop at as well as work for. Please do not work for this company. I am not putting in my real store because I don't want to be found out.
Pros
Not one
Cons
Poor pay, poor mangement, poor hours, poor pay, no breaks
i did my work experience for two weeks in total. The staff for lovely and helped me with every enquiry i had. The position i was in was not hard at all i helped the staff and customers with everything i have been asked to do for them.
Low wage that is way under NMW at just £7.67ph, little to no training on the items the store sells, no breaks, no holiday time, poor contracted hours, mangement treating their staff like dirt. These are just some of the reasons why working for this company will be the biggest mistake you will ever do. I urge you to never ever work for Go Outdoors
Form the very first day that I met the team they made me feel very welcome, it's a relaxed atmosphere in the office they work hard and play hard. Dogs were welcome in the office which I found to be very therapeutic. No two days were ever the same, it's such a shame that my contract with the Company came to an end. I miss working with everyone whom I met during my short tenure with the business.
nobody has no idea whats going on and staff are left to make decisions that they aren't paid for. management are a joke and the people above are no help whatsoever.… disgusting treatment to the point I had to leave my job
Fun place to work if you love the outdoors, lost its identity when sold to jd sports, staff spread thin recently and extra pressures. Management are fair
Fantastic place to work as every day is different.
It wouldn't be the same without the great team that's there that I've had the pleasure of working with.
Don’t even consider working here ever! Managers are lazy and so rude, poor pay and tedious jobs to do, and extremely long hours unless you don’t want a social life. Avoid at all cost!
I worked here just before JD took over, so I don't know how this has changed. While working at the branch outside of Chester I quickly found my feet and found that I got along extremely well with the management and my fellow coworkers. I received adequate training and enjoyed the calmer work 'vibe'. Definitely recommend
My time at Go Outdoors is one of the worst times of my life.
The wage for this company was way down on what NMW should be at on £7.67ph, morale is at rockbottom in every single store, there are only 2 weeks holiday and you're lucky to get those, the training you're promised just doesn't happen, you're looked down at and made to look foolish by mangement and when you enter the building, you mind feels with dread. The store I'm putting down is not my real store, because as I'm still employed here I want to remain amonyous.

But I beg all of you. Please if you wish to find work, don't come to this place as it will be the worst mistake you have ever made.
the company has changed ownership and is changing from a customer focused, sales adviser roles to a task only company were customers are only important when they are paying. For people who like a challenge, enjoy spending time with customers or are target driven then stay away.
Absolutely appalling place to work, whatever you do apply elsewhere as you will be treated loads better. The closest you get to training is fixing up a plastic loo which is absolutely pointless! The management is so bad and employees are treated not well at all. Support for employees is non existent when it comes to issues. Management even are nasty about customers over the radios which is completely disgusting, unprofessional and disrespectful! Whatever you do DO NOT work here! The worst company I have ever worked for!
So i worked in the southampton branch and i loved it while i was there (for the first few months). then management decided to start being harder on the staff that were already stretched as it was. towards the end it started getting worse and worse. i don’t know many people still left there.
At go outdoors it can be fast paced at weekends but in the week it can be relaxed just working the stock with not much else to do, the pay for the work you do does Not comprehend !!
Products sold here are very specialised, and require a lot of product knowledge, but the company pays you minimum wage on terrible contracted hours for your skill and knowledge.
I enjoyed my time there, the staff worked well together but I felt that the training offered should have made managed more effectively to provide easy access for colleagues
If the advancement opportunity had been there I wouldn't have left. Whilst I was there I achieved a lot and developed skills I couldn't have dreamt of.
I felt part of the company.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Go Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6