Go Outdoors Employee Reviews

Boring, poor management and long hours.
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester6 March 2019
This job was so boring long days with little breaks only time it got busy was in the summer thats if it was hot of course. When I first started it was the busiest time of year they put me on tills and DID NOT give me the right training and just expected me to know what to do when I made mistakes they did not reassure me that it was ok and instead they would pull faces. Management never sorted anything and did not make me feel comfortable. I would advise people not to work here if its your first job as it can possibly be overwhelming for you I had previous retail experience and it was the most stressful job I've ever had.
Pros
Cons
long hours, management, boring, no correct training.
Fun and joyful workplace.
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlow27 February 2019
I spent 18 months or so at Go Outdoors and I still haven’t found a job like it, everyone was a blast to work with and made coming to work a lot of fun.
Pros
Child workplace
Cons
Hourly rate
Shockingly bad place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth11 February 2019
Some of the worst institutional bullying I’ve ever seen in the workplace. Complaints about bullying got swept under the carpet and the management perpetrating the bullying just seemed to be rewarded. A select few favorites get away with doing very little whilst those doing their job get no appreciation. I read the reviews on working for Go Outdoors and did wonder if I was making a mistake taking the job. I can now categorically state that taking the job was a really bad mistake. If you have any concern for your mental wellbeing, I implore you to avoid working for Go like the plague.
Pros
Discount isn’t bad.
Cons
Everything else about the job.
Awful and unsupportive place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham6 February 2019
My second job I had whilst studying at university, they were very unsupportive company and wouldn't work around university that often.

Likewise my wage was never right, it was only receiving £20 a month, from working 16 hours a week.
Only got the rest of my wage when I left the company.

I personally wouldn't go back, I don't think normal members of staff are treated right, or given the correct support and training.
Pros
You'll get to meet different people, and on certain items staff discount is great
Cons
Short hours, unsupportive team and lack of training
First ever job!
Till Assistant. (Former Employee) –  Southampton4 February 2019
They took a chance on me when I had very little experience. I got paid just over minimum wage, there was proper training in place especially product knowledge training.

Managers deligated but barely worked!
Not bad as a first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire13 January 2019
If you’re wanting to work in retail as you’re first job, or if you’re looking for something relatively relaxed, then I’d say this job fits that description. Granted certain aspects of working here can be annoying but I guess every workplace is like that.
Okay discounts
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Uk22 December 2018
Understaffed, underpaid and no career prospects. Some bad managers that spoil the environment for everyone. Poor training and unrealistic goals and bonus scheme.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No consistency to hours.
Benefits
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, UK17 December 2018
They are a good company to work for and the benefits of the job are excellent.The short hours are not the best and can be inconvenient most of the time.
Good first job.
Senior Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes13 December 2018
It’s a good first job or a good job for people intrested in the outdoors environment, other than that there aren’t too many pros to shout about. Some staff are far too lazy and management done often know how to manage them, people get away with murder.
Pros
Good Staff discount
Fun place to work
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lincoln26 November 2018
the workplace has a fun and vibrant atmosphere, which is mainly thanks to the people you work with rather than the customers.
Managers will always have their favorite employees and hours are never set in stone. they can increase and decrease at any given time which doesn't allow for much security regarding hours worked per week
Great workplace with a great customer audience
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire22 November 2018
Working in selected departments, brings in good customers which are interested in the products which you sell and probably use in your spare time as a hobby.
Happy place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds8 November 2018
The management is lovely and always take personal problems and needs into consideration. They are always there to help whenever you need it. The shop floor is a fun happy place to be
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Minimum Wage
Worst company I have ever worked for.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Wales30 October 2018
Undervalued, under paid, with extremely high expectations the GO Outdoors chain is a horrendous place to work. The head office is extremely unorganised with regional managers expecting miricles whilst still making cuts to customer facing staff, leaving staff working the shop floor under extreme pressure and not giving the customer the service they require because they physically can’t! If you have the ability to be in six places at once then you will fit right in to a GO store. Colleague hours are cut, then senior managers will wonder why customer satisfaction scores take a heavy drop so use bonus schemes to try and enthuse staff but end up having the opposite due to the lack of staff on the floor.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Minimum wage, senior staff under paid
Great place to start a sales assistant career
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole21 October 2018
Everyone there was so welcoming and helpful towards me especially when I was in training. It was an absolute joy to work with the people there and the hours were very fair for a part time job
Pros
Long Lunch Break
Cons
Can run out of things to do quite quickly
good first job
Till Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester9 October 2018
was a good place to be introduced to the working world nothing was overly complicated and all the staff were friendly and welcoming and it set me up for a working life
Pros
good discount
Cons
odd shifts
Poor management
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire18 September 2018
the working conditions areshocking the store is unbelievbly hot. i have never been givern the training that was mentioned in the job interview. It has sucha wide range of products so its very difficult to know what to say when a customer has an issue as you havelittle knowledge of the store. the hardest part of the job is the endless amount of customer service issues we have to overcome which could be solved wit better organization and better systems in place. This is due to management not being good enough. There is only two managers that are good enough. The endless complaints i hear from staff about managers being disorganized causng issues with peoples holiday. However staff discount is very good but it takes a while for you to actually recieve your discount card.
Pros
good discount card
Cons
Shocking management, poor wage
Fun workplace for anyone
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Pudsey12 September 2018
Working for Go outdoors is a good experience specially for someone who is looking for a first job or a job that would give them more experience and a higher undrestarting of a working environment. Although pay wise is nothing special the workforce is a pleasure to work with and management are approachable and polite and most of the time can treat you as a equal and not a workhorse, I say most of the time because this is something that isn't always the case. Ultimately go outdoors is a fun experience if you love working in teams and serving customers as this is something you will do alot!
Pros
Polite and friendly workplace, decent breaks, brillant staff discount
Cons
Low amount of hours per week
Worst place i have ever worked
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire10 September 2018
Management were poor
Struggle to cover breaks sometimes
Would always stay over
Very little staff put on a shift
Pay was poor for under 25's
Didn't feel like i was advancing within the company
Not a nice place to work once i handed in my notice
Pros
Good job if you need a weekend job
Cons
pay, management, Hours
Outstanding
retails sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Kidderminster, Worcestershire4 September 2018
Staff are like family, no awkwardness, everyone is so helpful and supportive and you love going to work here. Its a comfortable environment with amazing management
Mixed feelings
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  West Midlands3 September 2018
The job itself is quite simple but can be made difficult by increasing pressure and hours/staff being shortened.
Very little training and too much responsibility for the pay you're given. You seem to be expected to know the intricacies from day 1.
Not a bad job for students or casual workers but not advised for someone looking for full-time work.
Staff discount is excellent however (sometimes well over 50% off) and can make up for some of the cons if you're very much into outdoor activities.
Pros
Staff discount, helpful colleagues
Cons
Poor feedback and communication, little training