Go-Ahead London Employee Reviews

try Abellio instead of go ahead.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  New Cross Gate Station12 October 2018
i was at go ahead for 2 years and i can write a whole book detailing my time in the job but instead ill break it down. i hated it so much i quit go ahead without the security of another job lined up. i was out of work for 2 months before i found the job I'm at now. that's how much i couldn't stand it. i only stayed for as long as i did because my fiance works there and we were on the same rota otherwise i would've left within the first year.

any new starters in training and etc: it starts out good for a few months but it will begin to ruin you and change how you view people as a whole. In training they completely discredit Abellio and Arriva as they call it "AA" but i can guarantee its better to work there then here. Management are some of the worse people to deal with and the worst thing about it is that most of them started out as drivers like we are and like you're training to be. i advise you try Abellio before go ahead.

and in case i sound like a bitter individual who got sacked it is not the case in the slightest. I'm just sharing my experience working for go ahead
Pros
Weekly Pay...
Cons
Assistant operating manager, Garage Manager and most importantly i Bus operatives.
easy job horrible industry
Bus Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  london3 August 2018
a trained monkey can drive a bus and the drivers all have the same habits as monkeys.
not here to moan about a job a did for 13 years but just wanted to say its not for everyone. its not a job for life nor do you drive comfortable buses. it will take its toll on your home life and health. it will make you paranoid everyone is judging you. and to be honest they are. public judge every decision you make just waiting for you to go wrong. management are waiting to pounce the moment you forget to tick a box on your paperwork. you feel isolated even though you work with 300 other drivers. the goal posts are constantly changed by all those who bark out the orders. does it seem like im moaning yet? not at all just facts of being a bus driver. the thing that keeps 300 paranoid isolated monkeys together is the £34000 wage paid for sitting on your bum and not doing any overtime to help them out. lifes to short to do things for people that don't deserve your time and effort. I am now looking to find employment as a dog shyte collector.as I feel that vocation would be a step up from the bus industry. thanks for reading
Pros
pays enough to keep the wife at home in the kitchen
Cons
managment, buses are painful to drive, public are nasty little hobbits, no one listens to you, feeling of being alone in a crowd
Dont waste your time for Rail Replacement £17ph
Driver (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London23 May 2018
I started training and all the process for Rail Replacement. 4 days class room training with induction etc which is paid. The downside is, they want at least 6 weeks if you can't attend work. I gave them 3 days notice that something urgent come up and they terminated my agreement. I'm based in East London and they sent me work in Dartford, Kent etc. For route learning they want you to go Bexleyheath at 9am but that is optional and paid. Not much route learning training but they want you to go and learn the routes yourself at your own time and expens. Money is good but 6 weeks notice to cancel a job laugh out loud...
Pros
Wages
Excellent service
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Barking4 May 2018
It is great to work with go ahead. There jobs and routes are good. Pay ok service is excellent. I have learnt a lot working at this company. The hours they give are good.
Bus Diver
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  London11 December 2017
driving a particular route learned to stay calm when under pressure managers door always open friendly work environment checking the bus in all weathers driving a bus was the best part especially filled with happy passengers
Pros
decent wage meet new people
Cons
can be demanding
Night driver
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Kent2 December 2017
Not a nice company to work for, management treat their drivers with no respect at all, working for Go-Ahead you are just a number. I would not recommend anyone to apply for work with this company, please search elsewhere.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Bad management.
Interesting and hopeless
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 October 2017
I am not really kin to make any comment about Go-Ahead atleast for now, thank you. Working as a bus driver with go -ahead is quite unpredictable. The risk of losing your job is very high and you are not appriciated at all by the management.
Pros
Travel pass
Cons
unsecure job
High pressure
Base Manager (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London25 August 2017
I enjoyed working with a good bunch of drivers who were always ready for a chat or laugh. Direct manager very unsupportive which made the job harder than it should have been.
Pros
good workplace culture
Cons
Unsupportive manager
Good work place
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Barking and Dagenham2 November 2016
Driving,checking vehicle & customer service route planning working on my own as well as in a team to run a good and efficient service.
Hours are long sometimes but you get them back with a short week.
Had fun and great times at Go-Ahead
Passenger Assistant (Former Employee) –  London15 August 2016
- Face to face with the public
-Insuring customers board and alight safely
-Providing information/directions to customers
-Assisting customers with updates and traffic
-Ensuring all customers arrive the their desired destination

- I have learnt alot more about my home city, locations, attractions, bus, train and tube links.
-How to deal and assist with every type of customer
-Not speaking the desired customers language but still being able to understand their needs
-Communication and customer service skills improve dramatically

-No problem with management, good relationship

- Get on well with all my co-workers and become very good friends

-Hardest part of my job would be anytime there is a train or tube industrial action

-Most enjoyable part of my job would be everyday is different and every customer is different
-No journey is the same
-Interacting with the public day in, day out
-Happy customer is a satisfied customer
Pros
Everyday is different, travelling across London, Free travel
Cons
No job security
fast pace work environment
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  London6 June 2016
As a driver on a spare rota i would sign on for work and could get any duty that would determine the route i would be driving.
i learned a lot about myself and other people. I also gained experience in driving large vehicle.
managing myself making sure not to run too early or fall behind being late.Sticking to the time cards and orders from the I bus system and controllers.
co workers were helpful and encouraging.
hardest part of job is a rolling rota i.e.... one week of early/mids/late shifts, which can deprive your sleep and social life.
most enjoyable part of job is working with public and meeting and seeing people , also driving different routes can be refreshing.
Pros
Weekly Pay and plenty of overtime with good overtime rate of pay
Cons
rolling rota can deprive you of social life i.e. family, friends, gym etc, when working late queues into the garage can take up to an hour.
Overall not a nice experience
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  London26 April 2016
The shifts were gruelling to say the least - sometimes finishing at 11 p.m with a 7 a.m start the next day - and I had to repeatedly ask for basic staff privileges i.e Access to a locker, full uniform etc.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Shift Patterns, Management
rewarding and challenging
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  London18 April 2016
Dealing with the public and generally assisting them with there day to day traveling needs, depending on what shift was allocated depended on how long the day would be.

I learned and was taught mainly how to be professional with my driving and dealing with my passengers and maintaining being professional thru out my shift.

Management was at most times helpful with certain requests, i.e having days or swapping duties to accommodate

The hardest part was the early starts which depended on the time of the duty, if you had 5am start depending on where you lived you would have to wake up at 3am I feel that was mainly it.

The best part of my job was dealing with customers and driving around London as I love to drive, meeting new people and dealing with the public.
Pros
Free Travel, good oppurtuniy for progressiom within the company
Cons
Cons are very early starts and very late finishes
Requires strong recilience
BUS DRIVER (Current Employee) –  London8 March 2016
Dealing with day to day passengers can be very difficult and at times they can be very abusive towards you. I can honestly say that the staff you work with are very friendly and supportive but management are always on your back. The most difficult thing to get use to is the lack of social life as your work shifts are 7 on 2 off and you could be working either earlies, middles or lates at any one time.
Pros
Pay and work colleagues
Cons
everything else
Very fun training as a trainee bus driver with go ahead london
Trainee Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ENGLAND18 June 2015
unfortunately i failed my PCV practical driving test with go ahead london so could not pursue a career with the company.