GMS
GMS Group of Companies

GMS Employee Reviews

United Kingdom30 reviews
when I first started the boss was alright but when u started to work there more that’s when he was starting to get a bit rude to I just left and found another job what was so much better!
Gms is a great company to work for the managers listen to you HR are there when you require them. By far best security firm out there and only getting stronger as a unit
Pros
Great pay, pension scheme, great management, payed on time
always busy
good pay

good hours

management friendly and cooperative

have chance to drive big names while on duty patrol

plenty of work

some sites are very busy
Pros
good pay
Cons
Ops manager is an outright bully. Private information breached and shared amongst the office with poor and inaccurate rails that are damaging! Total and utter dross!!
I worked for GMS as a security officer within the Birmingham area for a total of 5 years. The only reason i left was due to personal reasons.
Throughout the 5 years, GMS supported me in obtaining additional qualification and at hand whenever i needed them. The support i received from management was excellent and always on the phone if i needed them. One of the best security companies i have worked for (3 in total)

Pay was on time and was reviewed periodically, uniform was paid for and holiday entitlements were generous in order for me to spend time with the family.

Fair roster pattern and the gatehouse was clean and tidy.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Excellent company to work for, GMS know how to look after and support their employees. Everyone across all levels is friendly and supportive - a real team environment.
Pros
I started with GMS in a frontline role and over time developed into a management role. They expect hard work, but look after their staff. Always paid on time, holiday paid without quibble, no charge for uniform etc. Unlike some security companies, they can be strict, but as long as you do as you're meant to and don't mess about they are a great company to work for.
After the redundant from Ministry of Defence job I applied job with GMS and company offer me job easily because of I was working in that area long time since I was in the army. Also they cut off MOD guards and employed civil security to cover the phew Barracks. our main part of the job is secure housing construction area and empty building like old Hospital called Cambridge Military Hospital which was opened 1879. Trespassers and ghost hunter at the night time mainly at winter time was a hardest part of the job. but I enjoyed doing vehicle patrol all the night along the Garrison area.
Pros
nothing
Cons
we worked 60 hrs peer week
Very comfortable and friendly work team and the support from management is refreshing in the work place.
Almost feels like a small community within the workplace.
Pros
Support
Cons
As a current employee of around 2 months since the day I started I’ve been pushed with my career from my site manager and other supervisors who are very helpful I enjoy coming to work every single day.
I will never work for this company again.. they dont care about their staff wage is terrable i would deffo not recomened working here and at all supervisers are not helpfull at all
Gms - good to consider staffs that being there for a long time 4 to 7 years on . There are not consider not even to given a responsibility with all there Experience. Gms is very very weak on that site .
I have been in security for the past 10years i hands down believe that GMS have helped with all my needs since joining them in 2017 i will go as far as saying the best run company that i have been with.
I work in a position to help a very good company with its day to day issues. I assist with a lot of the day to day problems on site and have a huge amount of responsibility to make sure thing run well on the site. It feels good that the client trust you to do a good job for them.

The Management are very supportive and are always there when needed.

The environment I work in is excellent -(Warm in the Winter nice and cool in the summer) can not ask for more than that, and there is always somebody to talk to.

There are challenges each day but the job isn't difficult, as there are always people to support you.

My most enjoyable part of the job is seeing new models of cars that are coming out. Very privileged to see the new products before the customers.
Pros
Seeing the company you work for progress leading up to better opotunities for your self.
No health and safety
No organisation

Dangerous at times

You are just a number

Rubbish pay, not paid for travelling even over 50 miles away from site
If you like to be treated as a human in your job then avoid even thinking about joining this company. Management is a complete joke, very incompetent and never should be allowed to manage people, contract manager is a bully who thinks he's God's gift and treats everyone like something he just stepped in. Working there is the most boring time of your life, every other security company I've worked for have no problems with you being on your phone/laptop/tablet or watching a movie or TV on night shift but this company won't even allow you to listen to the radio. Just look for another company to work for because you will regret every joining this one
I lasted 1 1/2 years in the job but couldn't last any longer. Not being allowed to use your phone or anything in a boring one man gate for 12 hours especially on night shifts and weekend work. Hard to stay awake. Very boring.
Pros
Nice staff that actually treat u like a human
Cons
Basic pay
I worked for GMS for 4 and half years and the only reason for leaving was because of family reasons. My manager was really helpful and even offered to put me on an NVQ to work towards a team leader qualification/ role.
I was always paid on time and my holiday OK's when i put it in.

Overall great company to work for and i recomend to others.
I use to work GMs they are the worst security going please avoid them.bad management no help even in the interview they talk to you like dirt please don't join them.
Pros
Going home
Cons
Going to work for them
Just the worst unprofessional security company I've ever worked for with the most incompetent management of any company I've even known, if your new you will be bullied and treated badly by everyone in the company, this is probably why no one last longer than a week and staff overturn is the highest of any company that I've ever worked for, just don't waste your time here there are lots more much better security companies out there to work for
Pros
you might get paid if you last longer than one shift
Cons
Bullying very high, joke of an excuse for management
I worked here for a short period and you get no support from management or even your own team! when u do stop someone from driving an arctic lorry whilst heavily intoxicated you get moaned at for making the other officers "look bad". 12 hour sifts in a gate house with office jockies from planning treating you like rubbish all day. and if u was late or was ill then your wages drop to minimum wage for the whole month steer well clear

p.s I took the job thinking was 8.70 its 8.25 ph
Pros
major down time up to 10 hours a day
Cons
the contracted site and management of the company