Gloucestershire County Council

Gloucestershire County Council Employee Reviews in Gloucester

Gloucester26 reviews
Nice place to work nice people and great location, free staff car park 10 min walk away behind Tesco. Also runs a shuttle bus service to and from the car park.
very busy environment, staff friendly, pay ok. short staffed, Work environment is good, ability to progress ok, training available and supported by managers.
You will be paid peanuts and expected to do the work of 10 men. Everything comes down to money and if you don't fit that culture, you're out. Honestly never felt so disrespected.
You have to be in care or a child of a career but if you meet those requirements then this is a great. The people are really nice and welcoming. A great group of people
Good place to work. Friendly staff. Typical local Gov job though, not enough money to do a proper job and members of the public never happy how ever hard you work.
I found Gloucestershire County Council to be a good employer. Obviously they are a large organisation with a wide range of roles, so each one needs to be looked at independently.
The problem with GCC is the management culture of fear, humiliation and degradation. I worked there for 7 months and received no useful training or line management support. The colleagues I had were lovely, but depressed and felt used and abused, as I did.
GCC need to realise that the reason so many people leave is not low pay, it's being bullied and deskilked by sub standard management . The rot is endemic and comes from the top down.

Treat people with respect, fairness and kindness and they'll be loyal. Abuse, humiliate and degrade them and people will have nothing good to say. Rightly so.
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Bullying management
I have worked for a few schools who are apart of GCC and I have never had any problems with the council itself. The GCC website is always a good place for any additional information I may need about my NQT year or any upcoming jobs.
Looking for a new challenge and to gain more experience as I have managed and maintained Gloucester for over 16years. Carrying out routine and reactive inspections on the public highway in line with the GCC safety inspection policy
I work closely with a dedicated staff team who work hard to meet the needs of children in care.

GCC is a great place to work and offers a flexible environment for staff when required.
Pros
Great staff, fantastice place to work
Cons
Progression can be limited
I have worked in many different departments in Gloucestershire County Council. Training is good, office hours, systems and processes are followed. Pay depends on experience and job role. Most people work here for 20 years or more.
As a Capital works Project Manager my working day is a mix of office based and on site work. Working on and off site provides a welcomed variety of work, working with a multitude of end users, consultants and contractors on varied projects.
As a Capital works contractor you have your own autonomy to manage your budgets and workload.
Some good work done but everyone burns out in local authority, people don't ever admit to getting things wrong and the blind enthusiasm required is draining. Cannot take constructive criticism in any form and have bad relationships with other public bodies. You can do it for only so long unless you can ignore the injustices and politics.
Pros
Well meaning people
Cons
Rubbish Senior Managers
Very friendly environment to work in. Get involved as a team and really easy to settle in. Was a very productive work place to work in and got bonuses and tips especially around busy periods for example; Christmas.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Poor wage
Working in a busy school kitchen, the job was great to start with but that soon changed once the government cut funding for the school. Moral soon changed.
Pros
Term time school holidays which are handy for those with children of school age.
Cons
For those who don't have children of school age, you must take your family holidays when school is closed.
I worked as a supply teacher for Gloucestershire County Council. I had a lot of work through them which was good for my experience as a Newly Qualified Teacher.
Pros
Good experience
Good and fun to work for. Good work life balance.
Learned how to work with the disabled and handicapped both children and adults. Driving the mini buses and cars transporting them to and from the school to home
Cons
A changing environment which offers interesting work to people who can commission, run projects, deliver services or have commercial experience. Offers flexible approach to working.
Pros
flexible working
GCC is a place to gain experience for those newly qualified social workers, social care assessors in the care sector. Interesting front line work supporting the vulnerable.
Good place to work friends staff great working environment. Good work life balance well structured teams friendly and warming environsment to be in.
accepted under nhs2gether/iapt safeguarding guidelines therefore i cannot review or talk about this job under these guidelines i cannot actually comment any further except to say it shaped the next 20+ years of my life when i got married and went to live in the wider community
Pros
promoting sociability
Cons
some work was bank not garanteed
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gloucestershire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.
Gloucestershire County Council Reviews by Location