Gloucestershire County Council Employee Reviews

The worst place I've worked in 45 years
Support planner (Former Employee) –  Gloucester8 March 2019
The problem with GCC is the management culture of fear, humiliation and degradation. I worked there for 7 months and received no useful training or line management support. The colleagues I had were lovely, but depressed and felt used and abused, as I did.
GCC need to realise that the reason so many people leave is not low pay, it's being bullied and deskilked by sub standard management . The rot is endemic and comes from the top down.
Treat people with respect, fairness and kindness and they'll be loyal. Abuse, humiliate and degrade them and people will have nothing good to say. Rightly so.
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Bullying management
nice atmosphere
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Gloucester13 February 2019
nice atmosphere, friendly people, not much room for growth within the company.
supportive of qualifications and ideas to improve ways of working. flexi time.
A fun and learning environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Up Hatherley, Gloucestershire27 October 2018
A great place to work, GCC encourages their staff to engage with managers and provide feedback and ideas at all times. They listen to ideas and will do their best to help train staff.
Good and supportive company
Class Teacher (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire27 October 2018
I have worked for a few schools who are apart of GCC and I have never had any problems with the council itself. The GCC website is always a good place for any additional information I may need about my NQT year or any upcoming jobs.
Family and fantastic working relationship
Highway inspector (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire16 September 2018
Looking for a new challenge and to gain more experience as I have managed and maintained Gloucester for over 16years. Carrying out routine and reactive inspections on the public highway in line with the GCC safety inspection policy
N/a
Safeguarding course (Former Employee) –  Lydney, Gloucestershire9 July 2018
Did not work for GCC, I only attended courses, which were very good and informative and helped me in my role as Home Manager. Interesting people as well
Pros
Increase in knowledge base
Cons
Busy environment but very rewarding
Commissioning Officer (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire19 June 2018
I work closely with a dedicated staff team who work hard to meet the needs of children in care.

GCC is a great place to work and offers a flexible environment for staff when required.
Pros
Great staff, fantastice place to work
Cons
Progression can be limited
Depends where you work
Senior Admissions Officer - School admissions (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire18 June 2018
I have worked in many different departments in Gloucestershire County Council. Training is good, office hours, systems and processes are followed. Pay depends on experience and job role. Most people work here for 20 years or more.
Busy and productive environment
Capital works Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Gloucester City Centre, Gloucestershire3 April 2018
As a Capital works Project Manager my working day is a mix of office based and on site work. Working on and off site provides a welcomed variety of work, working with a multitude of end users, consultants and contractors on varied projects.
As a Capital works contractor you have your own autonomy to manage your budgets and workload.
Great boss and colleagues
Desktop Engineer, Sungard Public Sector (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire5r627 March 2018
I always felt supported by my boss and colleagues working for Sungard.

We provided IT support for the Gloucestershire County Council staff who were fully appreciative of our efforts in trying to help and resolve their queries and IT Issues.

My commute to work was sometimes difficult so I eventually found a job closer to home, but the experience I gained from working here enabled me to transfer the skills to another similar role.
Pros
Supported by management
Cons
My commute was sometimes difficult
Good school to work for.
Midday Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire27 March 2018
I would recommend the school to all my friends.because there is always a pleasure to work as part of the team. The children and staff are very polite and it gives me the pleasure to be part of it.
Cons
Poor senior management who dont listen and a bullying culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire16 March 2018
Some good work done but everyone burns out in local authority, people don't ever admit to getting things wrong and the blind enthusiasm required is draining. Cannot take constructive criticism in any form and have bad relationships with other public bodies. You can do it for only so long unless you can ignore the injustices and politics.
Pros
Well meaning people
Cons
Rubbish Senior Managers
Gloucestershire County Coucil was a good place to work.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fab Team15 January 2018
Gloucestershire County Council was a good place to work, there was support from Management, and it was a clean and friendly environment to work in. Holiday leave and pensions were provided.
Pros
Flex time, clean environment
Cons
Wages
Fun
Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire2 January 2018
Very friendly environment to work in. Get involved as a team and really easy to settle in. Was a very productive work place to work in and got bonuses and tips especially around busy periods for example; Christmas.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Poor wage
Pros and Cons
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire28 November 2017
Great colleagues who are supportive and motivating. Atmosphere is positive in office most of the time.
Lots of opportunities in regards to training.
Flexible with toil/lieu.
Little pay for ORS.
Little room for career progression.
Enjoyed my job on a daily basis.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newnham, Gloucestershire22 November 2017
My day was clearly defined with the morning helping teach maths and English.The afternoons either teaching PE or working on the creative curriculum which could of been design and technology, painting, building, papermache or a large art project.I delivered these across all year groups within school.This was the best part of the job.
The hardest part of the job was having enough time to make sure it was done to the best standard.
Pros
Using my creative abilities.
Nice place to work
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnwood, Gloucestershire6 November 2017
Enjoyed my time working in the contact centre, I met lots of nice people, enjoyed talking to the members of the public, also met some very angry customers who didn't agree with the company policies
Pros
Met lots of nice people and learned lots
Cons
angry customers
Lovely
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Great Rissington, Gloucestershire28 July 2017
I love working here! Lovely staff, great children and an overall good team at the Rissington school. The staff are welcoming and we all get along great!
Can be long hours but all worth it in the end!
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Can be long hours
the job started off well but due to funding and budget cuts, the moral soon waned.
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gloucester23 July 2017
Working in a busy school kitchen, the job was great to start with but that soon changed once the government cut funding for the school. Moral soon changed.
Pros
Term time school holidays which are handy for those with children of school age.
Cons
For those who don't have children of school age, you must take your family holidays when school is closed.
Good employers
Supply Teacher (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire23 July 2017
I worked as a supply teacher for Gloucestershire County Council. I had a lot of work through them which was good for my experience as a Newly Qualified Teacher.
Pros
Good experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gloucestershire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Gloucestershire County Council Reviews by Location