Gloucestershire County Council

Gloucestershire County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom60 reviews
Helpful, fun and supportive personnel
Management lacked coherent policies and lacked direction. Offer little or no support to colleagues. The department was "all at sea", manageing itself. One manager favoured particular people (clicky) and inexperienced. Work colleagues were very helpful and supportive to one another. Bringing a fun work environment to each day. Most colleagues were very experienced in many aspects of the profession. There was always someone who had an answer to any query. raised. It was a great place to work and operate. Every person would learn something from another person.
Pros
Great work colleagues. Free lunches at training conventions.
Cons
Bad management. Often projects had to be started in a hurry; lack of fore thought.
Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students grow in confidence and understanding. The hardest part was dealing with upset children.
Total commitment to the pupils and improving their learning strategies and encouraging them to be independent and more confident. A structured timetable was in place which ensured the pupils received the best and consistent support.
unprofessional
would not apply for the front of house team. As an apprentice, I was treated unfairly by all managers. one week told i was not good enough and was being let go. The next stating that I could stay.
Good
i lived my job working with children and young adults. The service is in a good need of help not for only the children we work with but for ofsted to agree
Pros
Good atmosphere and support
Cons
Over worked with minimum staff
fast pace
very busy environment, staff friendly, pay ok. short staffed, Work environment is good, ability to progress ok, training available and supported by managers.
Work here if you want to feel undervalued and unappreciated
You will be paid peanuts and expected to do the work of 10 men. Everything comes down to money and if you don't fit that culture, you're out. Honestly never felt so disrespected.
Great job
You have to be in care or a child of a career but if you meet those requirements then this is a great. The people are really nice and welcoming. A great group of people
Committed workforce, interesting and varied work
Lots of opportunities to learn and grow and the organisation is doing important and invaluable work for the community.

Growing my professional knowledge and resilience.
Good
Good place to work. Friendly staff. Typical local Gov job though, not enough money to do a proper job and members of the public never happy how ever hard you work.
Poor culture and career advancement
Great colleagues, ok salary and job security. I love my job however I'm tired of the way it is managed.

Management culture is very negative with constant scrutiny and humiliation of staff. People are always picked up on silly little things but never recognised for the great work that they do. Line management blames their managers and so on all to justify why they do what they do.

There's little to no career advancement for unqualified staff and if so it's a face fits attitude. There is very little opportunities in getting further training or qualifications even if there is a distinct lack of social workers.

Management care very little about the people they manage hence a high staff turnover and even then they can't seem to recognise that their actions are the cause of this.

Office and IT equipment is basic and dated, in need of a deep clean.
Great job, highly recommended
I found Gloucestershire County Council to be a good employer. Obviously they are a large organisation with a wide range of roles, so each one needs to be looked at independently.
Productive and interactive with community
Caring, friendly environment. Productive and interactive with community. Professional and understanding of all relevant internal processes, with all activities carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements.
A mixed bag
Colleagues are lovely, benefits are good, pay is getting better.
Excellent training on offer but due to issues around career progression you may not get the opportunity to put your learning into practice.
Pros
Employee Assistance Programme, Decent Pension, Very good policies such as Dignity at Work, HR very helpful if you need them, Occupational Health are very good
Cons
Unsupportive line management, Career Progression, Salary
The worst place I've worked in 45 years
The problem with GCC is the management culture of fear, humiliation and degradation. I worked there for 7 months and received no useful training or line management support. The colleagues I had were lovely, but depressed and felt used and abused, as I did.
GCC need to realise that the reason so many people leave is not low pay, it's being bullied and deskilked by sub standard management . The rot is endemic and comes from the top down.

Treat people with respect, fairness and kindness and they'll be loyal. Abuse, humiliate and degrade them and people will have nothing good to say. Rightly so.
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Bullying management
Interesting place to work
As you're working for the council, there is always an concern that jobs will be cut or changed which can lead to uncertainty throughout the staff. However, I met some lovely individuals and really enjoyed the job I did. The management was poor as we all felt they didn't listen to how we felt about situations, and would often act the opposite, but overall I really enjoyed my roll.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Job uncertainty
nice atmosphere
nice atmosphere, friendly people, not much room for growth within the company.
supportive of qualifications and ideas to improve ways of working. flexi time.
A fun and learning environment
A great place to work, GCC encourages their staff to engage with managers and provide feedback and ideas at all times. They listen to ideas and will do their best to help train staff.
Good and supportive company
I have worked for a few schools who are apart of GCC and I have never had any problems with the council itself. The GCC website is always a good place for any additional information I may need about my NQT year or any upcoming jobs.
Family and fantastic working relationship
Looking for a new challenge and to gain more experience as I have managed and maintained Gloucester for over 16years. Carrying out routine and reactive inspections on the public highway in line with the GCC safety inspection policy
N/a
Did not work for GCC, I only attended courses, which were very good and informative and helped me in my role as Home Manager. Interesting people as well
Pros
Increase in knowledge base
Cons
Busy environment but very rewarding
I work closely with a dedicated staff team who work hard to meet the needs of children in care.

GCC is a great place to work and offers a flexible environment for staff when required.
Pros
Great staff, fantastice place to work
Cons
Progression can be limited
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gloucestershire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.
Gloucestershire County Council Reviews by Location