Gloucestershire County Council Employee Reviews

Busy environment but very rewarding
Commissioning Officer (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire19 June 2018
I work closely with a dedicated staff team who work hard to meet the needs of children in care.

GCC is a great place to work and offers a flexible environment for staff when required.
Pros
Great staff, fantastice place to work
Cons
Progression can be limited
Depends where you work
Senior Admissions Officer - School admissions (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire18 June 2018
I have worked in many different departments in Gloucestershire County Council. Training is good, office hours, systems and processes are followed. Pay depends on experience and job role. Most people work here for 20 years or more.
Busy and productive environment
Capital works Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Gloucester City Centre, Gloucestershire3 April 2018
As a Capital works Project Manager my working day is a mix of office based and on site work. Working on and off site provides a welcomed variety of work, working with a multitude of end users, consultants and contractors on varied projects.
As a Capital works contractor you have your own autonomy to manage your budgets and workload.
Great boss and colleagues
Desktop Engineer, Sungard Public Sector (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire5r627 March 2018
I always felt supported by my boss and colleagues working for Sungard.

We provided IT support for the Gloucestershire County Council staff who were fully appreciative of our efforts in trying to help and resolve their queries and IT Issues.

My commute to work was sometimes difficult so I eventually found a job closer to home, but the experience I gained from working here enabled me to transfer the skills to another similar role.
Pros
Supported by management
Cons
My commute was sometimes difficult
Good school to work for.
Midday Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire27 March 2018
I would recommend the school to all my friends.because there is always a pleasure to work as part of the team. The children and staff are very polite and it gives me the pleasure to be part of it.
Cons
Poor senior management who dont listen and a bullying culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire16 March 2018
Some good work done but everyone burns out in local authority, people don't ever admit to getting things wrong and the blind enthusiasm required is draining. Cannot take constructive criticism in any form and have bad relationships with other public bodies. You can do it for only so long unless you can ignore the injustices and politics.
Pros
Well meaning people
Cons
Rubbish Senior Managers
Gloucestershire County Coucil was a good place to work.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fab Team15 January 2018
Gloucestershire County Council was a good place to work, there was support from Management, and it was a clean and friendly environment to work in. Holiday leave and pensions were provided.
Pros
Flex time, clean environment
Cons
Wages
Fun
Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire2 January 2018
Very friendly environment to work in. Get involved as a team and really easy to settle in. Was a very productive work place to work in and got bonuses and tips especially around busy periods for example; Christmas.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Poor wage
Pros and Cons
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire28 November 2017
Great colleagues who are supportive and motivating. Atmosphere is positive in office most of the time.
Lots of opportunities in regards to training.
Flexible with toil/lieu.
Little pay for ORS.
Little room for career progression.
Enjoyed my job on a daily basis.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newnham, Gloucestershire22 November 2017
My day was clearly defined with the morning helping teach maths and English.The afternoons either teaching PE or working on the creative curriculum which could of been design and technology, painting, building, papermache or a large art project.I delivered these across all year groups within school.This was the best part of the job.
The hardest part of the job was having enough time to make sure it was done to the best standard.
Pros
Using my creative abilities.

Want to know more about Gloucestershire County Council?

Ask a question
Nice place to work
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnwood, Gloucestershire6 November 2017
Enjoyed my time working in the contact centre, I met lots of nice people, enjoyed talking to the members of the public, also met some very angry customers who didn't agree with the company policies
Pros
Met lots of nice people and learned lots
Cons
angry customers
Lovely
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Great Rissington, Gloucestershire28 July 2017
I love working here! Lovely staff, great children and an overall good team at the Rissington school. The staff are welcoming and we all get along great!
Can be long hours but all worth it in the end!
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Can be long hours
the job started off well but due to funding and budget cuts, the moral soon waned.
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gloucester23 July 2017
Working in a busy school kitchen, the job was great to start with but that soon changed once the government cut funding for the school. Moral soon changed.
Pros
Term time school holidays which are handy for those with children of school age.
Cons
For those who don't have children of school age, you must take your family holidays when school is closed.
Good employers
Supply Teacher (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire23 July 2017
I worked as a supply teacher for Gloucestershire County Council. I had a lot of work through them which was good for my experience as a Newly Qualified Teacher.
Pros
Good experience
Community Library
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bishops Cleeve10 July 2017
Lovely place to work. Really part of the community and enjoyed seeing the diversity of the public who used the local library.

Relaxed atmosphere with lovely staff members.
Good
Coach Driver Cathedral Coaches Gloucester (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, UK17 May 2017
Good and fun to work for. Good work life balance.
Learned how to work with the disabled and handicapped both children and adults. Driving the mini buses and cars transporting them to and from the school to home
Cons
Quiet office but very busy with more work being required from fewer people
Highways Development Technician (Current Employee) –  Glolucester28 March 2017
GCC is a good place to work but since I joined in 2012 there has been a cutting back of staff numbers without any corresponding reduction in the level of the work load. Of course o one complains as no one wants to be seen tor 'rock the boat' and our elected representatives think everything is cosy from their eerie.
Pros
Its good to help others.
Cons
Lots of work and brick bats without any priase.
Dreadful culture in SEND dept
Ex employee (Current Employee) –  Shire Hall28 January 2017
Culture of putting people down, over work and under value. Awful management. Your face had to fit.
Some colleagues are very supportive but managers are not. A real clique.
High pressure to meet deadlines.
Pros
Flexible working.
Cons
Long hours with no thanks
Challenging but interesting place to work
Commercial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire22 January 2017
A changing environment which offers interesting work to people who can commission, run projects, deliver services or have commercial experience. Offers flexible approach to working.
Pros
flexible working
Very unpredictable
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Gloucester shire hall13 January 2017
During my time working there I found it was very unorganised. I didn't know what I was working week to week and I was required to do multiple big tasks all at once. the job was only part time but very strenuous.
Pros
Cons
long hours, unfit work conditions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gloucestershire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Gloucestershire County Council Reviews by Location