Gloucestershire College Employee Review

View all Gloucestershire College reviews

Poor management, but good co-workers.
Digital Coach (Former Employee) –  Gloucester22 January 2017
Was a great job for the first month or so, then I noticed all the cracks. There seems to be a lack of strategy on just about everything. Therefore a lot of departments seem to be almost working against each other at times.

Some departments are clearly over-staffed and some departments are clearly under-staffed. (No one seems to be checking this).

There is a huge amount of tracking and performance management, which puts off a lot of teaching staff. There is also a large amount of student tracking and updating grades onto a system so students can see how they are doing on their course. (Some teachers find this annoying, but it does allow students to view their progress, and I.T training and support is available)

Personally I think there is some good managers and some really bad managers. There was no guidance and I often found myself doing pointless tasks or building projects I didn't really see the point in. A lot of management seem to be in pointless meetings a lot of time. I don't know if this is the culture of big organisations of just the college, but I personally felt that some smaller departments don't actually need a manager. If you do get into a senior management position, its clearly a bit of a gravy train.

A lot of the job description talks about building an honest and open culture and not blaming others. But this is just an escape tool for management. I found it very difficult to question things and I was often left selling projects that no one believed in.

That said there is some really good managers of certain departments, and I also found some
  more... staff really do go the extra mile and it can be a fun place to work at times. Although teams are sometimes set questionable projects, teams and departments do come together, and occasionally I got some really good job satisfaction. I will miss my co-workers and the teaching staff.  less
Pros
Good food. Some really good staff work there. Pay is slighlty above average.
Cons
Poor management (but good co-workers), Pointless meetings. No clear strategy. Pointless tasks. Excessive tracking.

Other Gloucestershire College Employee Reviews

Excellent Place to work!
IT Department (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire7 September 2018
Excellent Place to work, people are all very friendly and very Nice. Been working in the IT Department for quite a while now, Challenging yet Fun work as you get to interact with everyone and always on your feet doing things and solving problems and dealing with issues. Excellent exposure to many IT Systems, something that would not get at other companies, which enables you to learn new technologies and get more involved in systems and projects!

Excellent Holiday allowance provided during the year and excellent pension scheme, although Salary is lower here than working elsewhere, the generous holiday allowances and the working environment makes up for this!

Best Job of my career!
Pros
Holiday Allowance, Working Environment, Lovely People and easy to get on with, Parking, Location
Cons
Below Average Salary, Expensive food items in the canteen, being a college one would think the prices would be reasonable but quite high.
Great atmosphere
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester27 July 2018
Super friendly place to work, engaging staff that are always happy to help and display a deep interest into your life. Help make you feel at home, but you also stay very busy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gloucestershire College. Our community is ready to answer.

Gloucestershire College Reviews by Location