Gloucestershire College

Gloucestershire College Employee Reviews in Gloucester

Gloucester21 reviews
Good place to train to be an electrician lots of good lectures to teach you. Good canteen. Really good place to lean would recommend to anyone. If your looking for an apprenticeship
Possibly the nicest bunch of people to work with, great environment. Love it. Supportive staff and management. Lovely surroundings. Job can be stressful but always good humoured.
Pros
Work life balance.
Cons
Can be stressful and demanding.
This is a good college which has the potential to be excellent but it needs to look at its provision and move towards being more academic rather than vocational to attract more able learners and enhance its reputation.
Every day is different dealing with young people, you have respect them and create a relationship and accept them for who they are.
To blend in the background slowly interacting, then respect grows.

Management, you need to have good interaction for the relationship to run well.

Culture, what you put in you get out, create a good one, and get a good one back, and vice versa.

Hardest part, when we are short staffed.

Most enjoyable, left to do what you can to make your staff happy in their work and keep them well informed, appreciated and always open to any problems they may have.
a great place overall. I worked as a professional development coach and found colleagues and the department in general to be a great bunch.

Work was interesting and varied
this was a college course ad not work experience. selection of different course completed including hairdressing and photography which is one of my passions
Super friendly place to work, engaging staff that are always happy to help and display a deep interest into your life. Help make you feel at home, but you also stay very busy.
working at the Hatherley branch of St Pauls Medical Centre i found not very challenging , work was very repetitive, not given the chance to do new administrative tasks
i learn a lot everyday at college. And the teachers are very good at their jobs and take time out of their busy schedules to help you. the canteens have really nice food and the whole atmosphere at college is amazing.
Strong work culture, though some staff don't follow it - some very rude, mainly academic staff. Enjoyable working in Gloucester campus with benefits of parking.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Gloucestershire College?
Money focused and not learner centered at all however they would like you to believe they are. The pay is not comparable with other FE colleges around the country. The management are bullying and use disciplinary action to stifle teachers and support staff from putting their points across. There are no consequences for learners behaviour as the college are too concerned about losing learners and therefor their funding.
Most of the teaching staff and support staff however are lovely and a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Teaching and support staff
Cons
Poor management ethics
The college has a clear vision as to what it needs to achieve, but it is struggling to fulfil that ambition due to the lack of funding from the Government, and from healthy student numbers.
workplace culture
fun to work and learn

learn a lot

make good friends e

enjoy working with he staff

the most fun with this is that the college have the best equipment of the industry
Pros
multi cultural
Cons
very busy
Modern buildings
Good parking

Great holiday

Great pensions

Leadership is visionary

Target and objective driven

Good college with a good Ofsted results
Pros
Cafes and shop - cheap food, holiday allocation
Cons
holidays are in half terms
Teaching hairdressing qualifications for both ladies and gents qualifications form school level to level 3.
creating course resources, mentoring new tutors. lead IV for level 1 and schools moderation. carrying out daily, weekly and month reports.

Hardest part of the job is not having information given in time for events and deadlines.

Enjoyable part of the job; molding learners into budding new hairdressers. that I met my KPI's every year.
Cons
Poor delivery of imforamtion from line managers.
Excellent colleagues and students,can be very rewarding.Good on site facilities, parking can be difficult at times. Limited staff development opportunities,career progression and pay scale.
Pros
Working with excellent students and staff
Cons
Limited progression and pay scale
Was a great job for the first month or so, then I noticed all the cracks. There seems to be a lack of strategy on just about everything. Therefore a lot of departments seem to be almost working against each other at times.

Some departments are clearly over-staffed and some departments are clearly under-staffed. (No one seems to be checking this).

There is a huge amount of tracking and performance management, which puts off a lot of teaching staff. There is also a large amount of student tracking and updating grades onto a system so students can see how they are doing on their course. (Some teachers find this annoying, but it does allow students to view their progress, and I.T training and support is available)

Personally I think there is some good managers and some really bad managers. There was no guidance and I often found myself doing pointless tasks or building projects I didn't really see the point in. A lot of management seem to be in pointless meetings a lot of time. I don't know if this is the culture of big organisations of just the college, but I personally felt that some smaller departments don't actually need a manager. If you do get into a senior management position, its clearly a bit of a gravy train.

A lot of the job description talks about building an honest and open culture and not blaming others. But this is just an escape tool for management. I found it very difficult to question things and I was often left selling projects that no one believed in.

That said there is some really good managers of certain departments, and I also found some
 - more...
Pros
Good food. Some really good staff work there. Pay is slighlty above average.
Cons
Poor management (but good co-workers), Pointless meetings. No clear strategy. Pointless tasks. Excessive tracking.
Staff are all lovely, a very well motivated college.
Great students.

Busy days in all campuses, lots of experience gained.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
No pay in holidays due to being VHC
I am lucky that I work with a great team, but the work load is immense, the pay isn't great and there are sooooo many systems to get used to. Have to do english and maths online despite already having the right quals. Expected to do a lot of hours for my part time role!
Pros
Good advancement if you want it
Cons
Heavy workload, lots of beauracracy
A relaxing and pleasant working environment for students. Great canteen. Great facilities for Media Production. I have learned more about my subject. The management team is dynamic and young spirited. The hardest part of the job is the marking and the most enjoyable part of the job is my relationship with great students and seeing their progress enjoying the course.
Pros
great selection at the canteen
Cons
far away from home
Lack of support from managers, To quick to take information from other team members, rather than clarifying the evidance before acting,
Most co-worker were helpful but a few were trouble makers and dangerous,

The most enjoyable was teaching my learners, and getting positive feedback.
Pros
additional training
Cons
too many chiefs