Gloucestershire College Employee Reviews in Gloucester

Great atmosphere
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester27 July 2018
Super friendly place to work, engaging staff that are always happy to help and display a deep interest into your life. Help make you feel at home, but you also stay very busy.
not very challenging
Jobsmart Administrator (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire25 March 2018
working at the Hatherley branch of St Pauls Medical Centre i found not very challenging , work was very repetitive, not given the chance to do new administrative tasks
Fun place to work
NA (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire13 January 2018
Strong work culture, though some staff don't follow it - some very rude, mainly academic staff. Enjoyable working in Gloucester campus with benefits of parking.
Awful place to work
Curriculum Leader and Personal Tutor (Former Employee) –  Gloucester7 January 2018
Money focused and not learner centered at all however they would like you to believe they are. The pay is not comparable with other FE colleges around the country. The management are bullying and use disciplinary action to stifle teachers and support staff from putting their points across. There are no consequences for learners behaviour as the college are too concerned about losing learners and therefor their funding.
Most of the teaching staff and support staff however are lovely and a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Teaching and support staff
Cons
Poor management ethics
Satisfactory workplace, but there are opportunities to progress
Curriculum Leader, & Computing Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire15 September 2017
The college has a clear vision as to what it needs to achieve, but it is struggling to fulfil that ambition due to the lack of funding from the Government, and from healthy student numbers.
productive and Fun to work
Media Technician/Student support (Current Employee) –  Gloucester26 June 2017
workplace culture
fun to work and learn
learn a lot
make good friends e
enjoy working with he staff
the most fun with this is that the college have the best equipment of the industry
Pros
multi cultural
Cons
very busy
College of Further and Higher Education
Manager (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire5 June 2017
Modern buildings
Good parking
Great holiday
Great pensions
Leadership is visionary
Target and objective driven
Good college with a good Ofsted results
Pros
Cafes and shop - cheap food, holiday allocation
Cons
holidays are in half terms
Changed over the years.
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire9 May 2017
Teaching hairdressing qualifications for both ladies and gents qualifications form school level to level 3.
creating course resources, mentoring new tutors. lead IV for level 1 and schools moderation. carrying out daily, weekly and month reports.
Hardest part of the job is not having information given in time for events and deadlines.
Enjoyable part of the job; molding learners into budding new hairdressers. that I met my KPI's every year.
Cons
Poor delivery of imforamtion from line managers.
Excellent colleagues and students but limited progression
Assessor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire29 January 2017
Excellent colleagues and students,can be very rewarding.Good on site facilities, parking can be difficult at times. Limited staff development opportunities,career progression and pay scale.
Pros
Working with excellent students and staff
Cons
Limited progression and pay scale
Poor management, but good co-workers.
Digital Coach (Former Employee) –  Gloucester22 January 2017
Was a great job for the first month or so, then I noticed all the cracks. There seems to be a lack of strategy on just about everything. Therefore a lot of departments seem to be almost working against each other at times.

Some departments are clearly over-staffed and some departments are clearly under-staffed. (No one seems to be checking this).

There is a huge amount of tracking and performance management, which puts off a lot of teaching staff. There is also a large amount of student tracking and updating grades onto a system so students can see how they are doing on their course. (Some teachers find this annoying, but it does allow students to view their progress, and I.T training and support is available)

Personally I think there is some good managers and some really bad managers. There was no guidance and I often found myself doing pointless tasks or building projects I didn't really see the point in. A lot of management seem to be in pointless meetings a lot of time. I don't know if this is the culture of big organisations of just the college, but I personally felt that some smaller departments don't actually need a manager. If you do get into a senior management position, its clearly a bit of a gravy train.

A lot of the job description talks about building an honest and open culture and not blaming others. But this is just an escape tool for management. I found it very difficult to question things and I was often left selling projects that no one believed in.

That said there is some really good managers of certain departments, and I also found some
  more... staff really do go the extra mile and it can be a fun place to work at times. Although teams are sometimes set questionable projects, teams and departments do come together, and occasionally I got some really good job satisfaction. I will miss my co-workers and the teaching staff.  less
Pros
Good food. Some really good staff work there. Pay is slighlty above average.
Cons
Poor management (but good co-workers), Pointless meetings. No clear strategy. Pointless tasks. Excessive tracking.
Good work place
Hairdressing Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Gloucester10 January 2017
Staff are all lovely, a very well motivated college.
Great students.
Busy days in all campuses, lots of experience gained.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
No pay in holidays due to being VHC
A lot of red tape and systems
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Gloucester24 September 2016
I am lucky that I work with a great team, but the work load is immense, the pay isn't great and there are sooooo many systems to get used to. Have to do english and maths online despite already having the right quals. Expected to do a lot of hours for my part time role!
Pros
Good advancement if you want it
Cons
Heavy workload, lots of beauracracy
productive and fun workplace
Lecturer in Creative Media Production (Current Employee) –  Gloucester15 June 2016
A relaxing and pleasant working environment for students. Great canteen. Great facilities for Media Production. I have learned more about my subject. The management team is dynamic and young spirited. The hardest part of the job is the marking and the most enjoyable part of the job is my relationship with great students and seeing their progress enjoying the course.
Pros
great selection at the canteen
Cons
far away from home
Negative
Hairdressing Lecture (Former Employee) –  Gloucester15 November 2012
Lack of support from managers, To quick to take information from other team members, rather than clarifying the evidance before acting,
Most co-worker were helpful but a few were trouble makers and dangerous,
The most enjoyable was teaching my learners, and getting positive feedback.
Pros
additional training
Cons
too many chiefs