Gloucestershire College

Gloucestershire College Employee Reviews

United Kingdom42 reviews
Good place to train to be an electrician lots of good lectures to teach you. Good canteen. Really good place to lean would recommend to anyone. If your looking for an apprenticeship
Possibly the nicest bunch of people to work with, great environment. Love it. Supportive staff and management. Lovely surroundings. Job can be stressful but always good humoured.
Pros
Work life balance.
Cons
Can be stressful and demanding.
Great colleagues and a very supportive work environment with everyone working for the common aim of supporting and helping students during their college experience.

Only left as I was moving out of the area.
This is a good college which has the potential to be excellent but it needs to look at its provision and move towards being more academic rather than vocational to attract more able learners and enhance its reputation.
My role is very varied and can be anything from dealing with strategic planning to ensure we are achieving our reach into our feeder schools in the county. We involve ourselves in developing schools engagemen activities, such as developing tasters and open evening events for schools to packing up my car to go to a careers event in the evening in the many schools throughout Gloucestershire. Some jobs are admin based such as recording all the events I am involved in and reporting on the applications we have achieved but it's always interesting to see how we well we are achieving against targets and the reach we have.

The management culture at GC is fantastic! we don't have a hierarchy, I can pop my head into my VP's office anytime and ask for him to support an event I am doing in schools - he is always very supportive of the work I do and often includes me in the many initiatives we run including all the new Apprenticeship opportunities we have coming up in Cyber Security. My line manager is also really supportive of the issues I face and always happy to make time to talk through any concerns I have and offer any advice to help me achieve the very best outcomes. Equally, I would be very comfortable talking to any member of the senior management team, including our principal who is always very open to new ideas. We have a principal update and forum whereby we can offer our ideas and ask questions. We are always kept up to date on the organisational aims and our role within them.

The mosts enjoyable part of my job is the working with my customers and their pupils. People who
 - more...
Every day is different dealing with young people, you have respect them and create a relationship and accept them for who they are.
To blend in the background slowly interacting, then respect grows.

Management, you need to have good interaction for the relationship to run well.

Culture, what you put in you get out, create a good one, and get a good one back, and vice versa.

Hardest part, when we are short staffed.

Most enjoyable, left to do what you can to make your staff happy in their work and keep them well informed, appreciated and always open to any problems they may have.
a great place overall. I worked as a professional development coach and found colleagues and the department in general to be a great bunch.

Work was interesting and varied
this was a college course ad not work experience. selection of different course completed including hairdressing and photography which is one of my passions
Dreadful wage for this post. Even worse this year as they are cutting hours and weeks worked. Avoid. The only bonus is the holidays off you could not survive on this wage. Ok if you just need pin money.
Excellent Place to work, people are all very friendly and very Nice. Been working in the IT Department for quite a while now, Challenging yet Fun work as you get to interact with everyone and always on your feet doing things and solving problems and dealing with issues. Excellent exposure to many IT Systems, something that would not get at other companies, which enables you to learn new technologies and get more involved in systems and projects!

Excellent Holiday allowance provided during the year and excellent pension scheme, although Salary is lower here than working elsewhere, the generous holiday allowances and the working environment makes up for this!

Best Job of my career!
Pros
Holiday Allowance, Working Environment, Lovely People and easy to get on with, Parking, Location
Cons
Below Average Salary, Expensive food items in the canteen, being a college one would think the prices would be reasonable but quite high.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Gloucestershire College?
Super friendly place to work, engaging staff that are always happy to help and display a deep interest into your life. Help make you feel at home, but you also stay very busy.
My typical day at Gloucester College is supporting students with their work and in Exams.

I love working with all different students in their preferred subjects.

The Staff here are amazing and really supportive but I am needing a job with a fixed contract.

The hardest part of the job is working with behavior. On some occasions behavior can be very challenging.
Pros
Student Discount
Cons
No contract
working at the Hatherley branch of St Pauls Medical Centre i found not very challenging , work was very repetitive, not given the chance to do new administrative tasks
I thoroughly enjoyed being a part of Gloucestershire College, it was an enriching experience that helped me to develop many new skills as a part of a fantastic team.
i learn a lot everyday at college. And the teachers are very good at their jobs and take time out of their busy schedules to help you. the canteens have really nice food and the whole atmosphere at college is amazing.
Strong work culture, though some staff don't follow it - some very rude, mainly academic staff. Enjoyable working in Gloucester campus with benefits of parking.
Money focused and not learner centered at all however they would like you to believe they are. The pay is not comparable with other FE colleges around the country. The management are bullying and use disciplinary action to stifle teachers and support staff from putting their points across. There are no consequences for learners behaviour as the college are too concerned about losing learners and therefor their funding.
Most of the teaching staff and support staff however are lovely and a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Teaching and support staff
Cons
Poor management ethics
setting up kitchens ready for use in training kitchen workplace training , helping and students and staff in there daily duties ,
Pros
free parking
Cons
It is a pleasure to be associated with such an institution.
Despite facing many challenges as with the rest of the sector, GC remains a dynamic and focused place.
In a class room with 16 yr olds helping with equipment & tools. I work in the store room handing out tools. Place orders for materials when needed. I drive the mini bus when asked to take the kids on field trips. I can drive the fork lift when delivers need unloading from the lorries.
Pros
Enjoyed working in the college
Cons
The size of the groups where sometime too large for teaching
The college has a clear vision as to what it needs to achieve, but it is struggling to fulfil that ambition due to the lack of funding from the Government, and from healthy student numbers.