GLL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom150 reviews
Relaxed enough but maintains a certain level of strictness in order to maintain a safe environment for its customers. The managers are fairly lenient and don't discipline unless necessary.
I been working for Gll for 3 years as fitness instructor and covering reception when needed , and it’s been a lovely experience. Management and all other colleagues are friendly.
I loved the people i worked with but we were so underpaid for what we were doing.
We ( two others and myself) opened a new sector of the business for them. We then ran said sector.

We were doing a management position ( rota, cashing up, opening and closing of site. Marketing, complaints, sales management etc ) but our titles were that of supervisor, so we were lucky to get 20p more than minimum wage at the time.

It was a fun job but would have been better in a different company.
Pros
Team i worked with
Cons
Pay and progression
A typical day consisted of being monitored and watched throughout your working week weather you were a Lifeguard or Gym Instructor. That is ok to a degree however most of the time there was no need to have a quite word in your ear when common sense should of been used. A lot is expected of each and every employee. Poor management.
Genuinely really bad company to work for. Pay is awful, they don't give a hoot about any staff below general manager level. All the big wigs that are rolling in it will throw you under the bus at any given opportunity, quite frankly a joke that I spent 8 years of my life working for them.
By far the worst company I have ever worked for, management couldn’t care less about how staff are treated and brush off important complaints by customers. I have watched myself and others been bullied out of this company by management and other staff. Very badly run with lots of family links with managers so hard to say anything. Would not recommend working here if you want a job where you are respected.
I dispute their practice of printing that you arrive ten minutes early in their Normal operating procedure document but don't pay you for it when you are actually working, preparing poolside for lessons, and after teaching putting things away. If you highlight what I see as this injustice my experience is that they tell you you don't have to come in ten minutes early and that things will be put out for you (which they are not) , refer to the Normal Operating Procedure as a "management suggestion" and advise that if you carry on claiming for actual work done you might be "disobeying a management instruction". This puts you in an impossible position because as a professional you still end up coming in to do the work unpaid because if you don't parents would complain that their child's lessons is starting late if you put things out during lesson time.
Personally I think this is disingenuous to say the least and morally reprehensible coupled with the fact that other than a few pennies here an there they have not given us swimming teachers a significant wage rise in line with inflation for at least a decade putting us in the position that in real terms we are more than £100 per week worse off than ten years ago. This company is every example of how not to treat its front line staff in my opinion.
I thought that I had worked at the worst place possible,,,and then I came to GLL at their 'flagship facility' in Manchester. At least the last place had literate 'management' who knew how to spell.
Lied about hours, lied about role and responsibilities, changed shifts and introduced new ones with no consultation.

No concern about welfare of customers or staff, could not even be bothered to turn out after a serious incident and were only concerned with covering their own backs after the event, picking holes in activity of staff who were 'on the ground' at the time and who dealt with it.

A 'senior management' team who make the three stoogies look like MIT graduates - they give new meaning to 'chocolate fireguard', who are borderline illiterate and who turn in for work when they feel like it.

Too young, too inexperienced, and who blame customer dissatisfaction on the junior members of staff and whose vocation it seems is to stab their staff in the back.

A two faced, back stabbing environment, where certain individuals are more concerned with getting staff into trouble or on an ROC rather than doing their job and looking after customers.

Easily the dirtiest leisure facility that I have seen and worked in, with significant health and safety issues both for staff and customers, and, having expressed these concerns, it was evident that I was not popular.

AVOID.

You deserve better and frankly you'll be better off on benefits.
A terrible company to work for, avoid them at all costs.
Higher ups are some of the rudest and laziest people I have ever had the misfortune of working with. The company will literally use and abuse you until the point where you cant take anymore and are forced to leave.

I cannot stress enough how horrible GLL are!
A lovely place to work, customers are regular and friendly. Good pay, great benefits. Working for GLL has a very family and trustworthy environment, you feel free to ask for hep when needed from colleagues and superiors
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at GLL?
The upper management believes they are doing right because middle managers tick all the boxes on reports but they are unaware of what really goes on... middle managers often are more concerned on ticking all these boxes rather than delivering what they ACTUALLY say they believe in...
So Not genuine customer service nor quality check and nor team balancing..

It is extremely sad as the principal
it is a good place to work with nice hours and shift patterns for when your are in college. the pay is good for under 18's and is well above the minimum wage.
Avoid working for this company. It is a sinking ship!!! Having worked in two of their centres, there are numerous managers who don't know the basics of their own job. They delegate their jobs to staff below them and then discipline them for not being able to do a general managers job. There's no progression in this company unless you brown nose higher managers... Even then, you're still not guaranteed progression.
All high managers are close knit with people in human resources, so good luck filing a complaint against anyone, as they will turn it around on you and back the bully and drive you out. I've seen/ experienced that happen to other staff members and me personally.

If the manager doesn't like you, they will cut your shifts and claim it's "budget" but will still expect you to cover long hour shifts. Bearing in mind, if you're unable to do those hours, they'll claim you're unreliable. However, if it's person they like, all the rules go out the window. One rule for one and another rule for the other.

You have people from head office think they are GOD and look down on anyone when they come for centre visits. Picking on minuscule things just because they want to.

The whole company from top to bottom is rotten, they don’t care about the people nor the staff. All they care about is money.

Worst company I’ve worked in.
Very chilled most of the day, but there are certain times that it would start to get really busy. There is definitely a lot of things to know and learn. You also have to be able to communicate on the phone effectively as you could receive up to 80 calls in shift. If you don't know a question being asked, just ask them for their details and let them know you would get back to them as soon as possible with correct information.
Learned many different things around the leisure centre as a sales consultant because everyday was a different day for activities and customers - there were also back of house work to do such as calling prospects about being a potential member.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Lack of support
Not the best place but neither the worst. I started has lifeguarding the pool and trying to do my step up to fitness Instructor and management but none considered me because they need more people who does the dirty work and the lifeguards are all the times risking their life for people and in tbe times off-poolside they must do cleaning task and becoming an overwhelming job.
It was my first job in fitness industry and will probably be my last, as the GLL reputation is well known in any decent gym or leisure centre.management just pass the blame for their errors on to others doesn't matter if they are staff or customer.
Really good work place. Management is really good listeners. The company likes you to move up the hierarchy.
The hardest part of the job was to update technology that needed updating.
Say they are a charity organisation but targets to hit cut staff to skeleton staff and are all about money.also have to do different jobs rather than your job title.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Doing 5 different jobs
This is a Terrible company to work for and you must be desperate for a job to do so. If your not desperate don’t apply. There are better companies out there that don’t exploit the staff
Pros
Cons
The company
Typically I would go in for a 6 hour shift to help with either setting up for an event, helping during the event or to help take down and clear up after an event had finished.