GLL Employee Reviews

Unfulfilling
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester27 September 2018
Work at the sugden sports centre, been here for almost a year and since GLL took over everything has been falling apart. Month by month the job just becomes worse and worse and you feel less enthusiastic about working here. Shift hours are atrocious, easily the worst hours I’ve ever worked in my life. job role is unfulfilling, leaves no room for growth or gain knowledge, tedious and has no benefits specifically for the job role rather than the actual work place.
Pros
Nice work environment, nice people, sound staff
Cons
Long unsociable hours, tedious job, unfulfilling, no advancement, no opportunity to gain knowledge or learn new things
Good for experience
Leisure Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hackney, Greater London22 August 2018
If you work hard and are focused then you can go up the career ladder quite quickly. But be prepared to sell your soul for it. Its not going to be an enjoyable ride. And the pay cheque wont be great, but if you want to work up the chain then this is a great company to start with.

Front line staff can be good fun with a good team around you and good duty managers. But lazy staff somehow manage to survive in this environment so you may end up doing the job of 2 at times.

Staff are overworked at the moment due to over spending over the last few years, due to a rapid expansion of the company.

Reliable pay and work hours for full time shifts.
Pros
Work with some cool people
Cons
Shifts change weekly including weekends
poor management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Holloway, Greater London6 November 2018
poor management team who were unorganised, unprofessional and did not care for their employees. too many cleaning duties which are given unfairly as some are made to do, say 3 cleaning jobs at the end of the day while others did nothing. very long hours (10-12hrs) shifts with only half an hour lunch break for the entire day, which is also the only time you’re allowed to be sat down or resting. overall very poor
Cons
long hours, poor management.
Staff where under motivated
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Bath18 October 2018
Long hours and low pay meant that staff took pride in the work they undertook, most viewed the centre as a place to work but not the starting point of their career. This is probably due to most managers being hired from outside of the centre as opposed to from the inside.
Pros
Discount at shop
Cons
Long hours and low pay
Worst company I’ve worked for!
Swimming Teacher (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 November 2018
Very bad experience here regarding almost every part of the job!

I joined as a swimming teacher full of enthusiasm and optimism for working at the company this soon turned sour due to poor management, appalling staff issues which were not fixed and payment issues.
This paired with GLLs marking (which is required every lesson during lessons or after but not paid!) soon took all passion out of the job.

Add on the strange working hours and your not allowed to sit down! What the...
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Not a nice place to work
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Mile End, Greater London23 April 2018
When I arrived to work, my colleagues were miserable.
I learned that I wanted to spend the bare minimum length of time at GLL.

The duty managers were handing in their notice constantly. They said that they had non-stop complaints from customers.

The senior management just walk around and never engage with the peasant workers.

No one went to the Christmas party. Does that say anything about the workplace culture?

The hardest part of the job was lasting as long as I did.

There is nothing enjoyable about working at GLL
Pros
A job for life because nobody wants the job
Cons
Misery every day
Would not recommend!
Employee (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire25 March 2018
Worked within the company for numerous years and have never felt more under appreciated or less valued. It's all about who you know,not what you know. Promotions are given in a form of popularity contest.
Full time staff are under appreciative of part time staff and like to favour themselves over others.

They have no hesitation to strip you of your shifts if someone they like better is wanting for work hours.

Staff and full timers are always keeping the better shifts to themselves and are unwilling to help when it comes to cover and annual leave.

I would seriously advise looking elsewhere if you are looking for a job in which you are valued and respected.

I think that the only benefit I could say is that they had good flexibility for shifts.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
- bad communication with management, part time staff are not respected as much as full timers.
Worst company in the world run by vultures
Manager (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim29 April 2018
Everything and I mean everything about this company is rancid. I do not believe any positive reviews come from any other place other than senior management.
A company based on lies and self promotion with no respect for customers staff of even their council paymasters who they laugh at.
Avoid at all costs, standards are so low it is a miracle that there have not been more serious accidents. I would not let my children into any of their pools never mind work for them.
Would give zero stars if possible.
Cons
Company doing major staff cut high risk ! Lost job position offered lower position ..
Catering Manager (Current Employee) –  North London, Greater London11 June 2018
Company doing staff cuting on centre staff level left poor customer service . No where to develope career if you looking to delvlope in this leisure organisation !
Pros
No career progress
Cons
Lots of senior management and support team with no support to local centres
sure it would be a great place to work with this new mangement
Recreational assistant (Former Employee) –  Didcot, Oxfordshire9 May 2018
in my time working there management was pretty bad at handling a theft situation which overall led to me leaving as I could no longer trust anyone In the work place. however other than that it was fine. and apparently there is new management so I'm sure its a fine place to work now
Pros
was local
Cons

Want to know more about GLL?

Ask a question
The worst company I have worked for
Centre Staff (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 May 2018
I worked in Manchester when GLL took over the leisure contract there.I left after 10 months as I realised what an awful employer they actually are.Whilst they state they are all about their communities and their people,this could not be further from the truth.All they care about is making money and they don’t care how they do it.Staffing levels were reduced,yet staff were still expected to provide the same level of service,if not more. Senior managers and HR staff are arrogant and do not care about staff wellbeing in the workplace and yet they complain and wonder why there is such a high staff turnover and a high level of staff sickness.I have recently visited the centre I worked and loved until GLL took over.Its a shadow of its former self;it’s lost it’s identity and staff look utterly miserable.Leaving was the best thing I ever did.If you value your health and happiness then do not work for this company!
Pros
Cons
Unpaid breaks, long hours, no incentives and inadequate senior managers
Alright
Lifeguard/Leisure Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire10 May 2018
Dont treat employees properly, always making you stay extra hours and sometimes when you say no you might get on the bad side of the management and they will literally take advantage
Pros
good start
Cons
long hours, chasing you to come work extra, poor management
Review
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Walthamstow, Greater London6 July 2018
GLL can have good paths for progression. and are willing to help. However it is very under staffed and are not willing to help. GLL do guide and provide courses for development. Management could be better. Good Management get pushed out of the company whereas bad management are kept and promoted. The most enjoyable part of the job is the customer, all different walks of life with new stories to tell everyday.
Okay, no real encouragement or room to progress
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walthamstow, Greater London15 August 2018
The role was tedious and the management team often were not at all appreciative of the work that you did. Had one training instructor that passed people re qualifying for their NPLQ even though they failed essential skills due to the boroughs being short staffed.
productive and fun workplace
Lead Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 April 2018
Good to start new career in leisure
Most enjoyable part of work are the customer interactions
Most difficult part of work are the management
Workplace cutlure is good depending upon management
I have learnt good knowledge of leisure and sports
Pros
customers
Cons
progression
Fun Place to work
Payroll Administrator Part Time (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne30 March 2018
Relaxed atmosphere work gets done
More contact with the public
Management seem fair but I was only temporary
workplace culture fun and new ideas all the time good mix of staff and ages.
hardest part was made redundant
the most enjoyable part of my job was going to work
Pros
Very Flexable
Cons
Sometimes too much noise
Work hard and you can go far
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 December 2017
Worked with company nearly 9 years. Good rate of pay for the leisure industry and always work available for hardworking reliable staff.
My only issue is that the company is trying too hard to expand and is not putting money into Centres it already owns and taking care of staff that have worked there for years. Becoming too obsessed with meeting sales and performance targets and not concentrating of improving the experience for customers that are already there.
Higher management could also be more supportive and not take staff for granted.
Pros
Discounted Gym and facilities use
Cons
Long hours, unrealistic targets
Bad bad bad
Employee (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire26 March 2018
Do not work for this company! After working for this company for numerous years I found that management did not care about their employees unless they are your friend.
It’s all about who your know as a posed to what you know.
Full timers are rude and disrespectful to part time staff, they think they are better and untouchable.

They have no sense of loyalty. In all my years there, my opinion was worth nothing and they had no problem in always reminding You that they were ‘above’ you.

Do not work in this company. Go elsewhere to somewhere where you will be respected and looked out for.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Everything else!!!
Very un-organised, multiple issues with payment
Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Penrith, Cumbria12 November 2018
Not a stressful jobs by any means, easy work, but constant problems with payment, very un-clear with part time staff, barely felt like I even worked there with total un-acknowledgement the majority of the time. Very un-usual atmosphere and working environment.
Pros
Half price gym
Not the best place to work
Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge13 November 2018
According to the role, you risk to work unsocial hours or perform a variety of tasks all at the same time (lifeguarding, cleaning, covering reception, inducting new members). Each different task should be completed by one employee.