GLL Employee Reviews

Review
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Walthamstow, Greater London6 July 2018
GLL can have good paths for progression. and are willing to help. However it is very under staffed and are not willing to help. GLL do guide and provide courses for development. Management could be better. Good Management get pushed out of the company whereas bad management are kept and promoted. The most enjoyable part of the job is the customer, all different walks of life with new stories to tell everyday.
Arrogant and demeaning
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  South West5 July 2018
Major staff cuts of very experienced employees, to put inexperienced ones in their place earning less and without proper training. Management is arrogant and conceited, turned what was once a family friendly place into an upper class restricted one. Employees treated like dirt. Keep a close eye on your hours, they steal from your paycheck and then will make up excuses not to pay you.
Pros
Cons
Arrogance, disrespect, no career prospects
Awful
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hillingdon, Greater London15 June 2018
The whole company from top to bottom is rotten, they don’t care about the people nor the staff it’s all money orientated.
Worst place I’ve worked in..
Pros
Cons
Hours, low pay, unpaid lunch break, arrogant management
Company doing major staff cut high risk ! Lost job position offered lower position ..
Catering Manager (Current Employee) –  North London, Greater London11 June 2018
Company doing staff cuting on centre staff level left poor customer service . No where to develope career if you looking to delvlope in this leisure organisation !
Pros
No career progress
Cons
Lots of senior management and support team with no support to local centres
The worst company I have worked for
Centre Staff (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 May 2018
I worked in Manchester when GLL took over the leisure contract there.I left after 10 months as I realised what an awful employer they actually are.Whilst they state they are all about their communities and their people,this could not be further from the truth.All they care about is making money and they don’t care how they do it.Staffing levels were reduced,yet staff were still expected to provide the same level of service,if not more. Senior managers and HR staff are arrogant and do not care about staff wellbeing in the workplace and yet they complain and wonder why there is such a high staff turnover and a high level of staff sickness.I have recently visited the centre I worked and loved until GLL took over.Its a shadow of its former self;it’s lost it’s identity and staff look utterly miserable.Leaving was the best thing I ever did.If you value your health and happiness then do not work for this company!
Pros
Cons
Unpaid breaks, long hours, no incentives and inadequate senior managers
Alright
Lifeguard/Leisure Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire10 May 2018
Dont treat employees properly, always making you stay extra hours and sometimes when you say no you might get on the bad side of the management and they will literally take advantage
Pros
good start
Cons
long hours, chasing you to come work extra, poor management
sure it would be a great place to work with this new mangement
Recreational assistant (Former Employee) –  Didcot, Oxfordshire9 May 2018
in my time working there management was pretty bad at handling a theft situation which overall led to me leaving as I could no longer trust anyone In the work place. however other than that it was fine. and apparently there is new management so I'm sure its a fine place to work now
Pros
was local
nothing good to say
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  no comment3 May 2018
I see nothing good to say about this company, they treat us all like slaves, no incentives, understaffed, under paid, and definitely taken advantage of.
Worst company in the world run by vultures
Manager (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim29 April 2018
Everything and I mean everything about this company is rancid. I do not believe any positive reviews come from any other place other than senior management.
A company based on lies and self promotion with no respect for customers staff of even their council paymasters who they laugh at.
Avoid at all costs, standards are so low it is a miracle that there have not been more serious accidents. I would not let my children into any of their pools never mind work for them.
Would give zero stars if possible.
Cons
Not a nice place to work
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Mile End, Greater London23 April 2018
When I arrived to work, my colleagues were miserable.
I learned that I wanted to spend the bare minimum length of time at GLL.

The duty managers were handing in their notice constantly. They said that they had non-stop complaints from customers.

The senior management just walk around and never engage with the peasant workers.

No one went to the Christmas party. Does that say anything about the workplace culture?

The hardest part of the job was lasting as long as I did.

There is nothing enjoyable about working at GLL
Pros
A job for life because nobody wants the job
Cons
Misery every day
productive and fun workplace
Lead Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 April 2018
Good to start new career in leisure
Most enjoyable part of work are the customer interactions
Most difficult part of work are the management
Workplace cutlure is good depending upon management
I have learnt good knowledge of leisure and sports
Pros
customers
Cons
progression
Fun Place to work
Payroll Administrator Part Time (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne30 March 2018
Relaxed atmosphere work gets done
More contact with the public
Management seem fair but I was only temporary
workplace culture fun and new ideas all the time good mix of staff and ages.
hardest part was made redundant
the most enjoyable part of my job was going to work
Pros
Very Flexable
Cons
Sometimes too much noise
Bad bad bad
Employee (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire26 March 2018
Do not work for this company! After working for this company for numerous years I found that management did not care about their employees unless they are your friend.
It’s all about who your know as a posed to what you know.
Full timers are rude and disrespectful to part time staff, they think they are better and untouchable.

They have no sense of loyalty. In all my years there, my opinion was worth nothing and they had no problem in always reminding You that they were ‘above’ you.

Do not work in this company. Go elsewhere to somewhere where you will be respected and looked out for.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Everything else!!!
Would not recommend!
Employee (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire25 March 2018
Worked within the company for numerous years and have never felt more under appreciated or less valued. It's all about who you know,not what you know. Promotions are given in a form of popularity contest.
Full time staff are under appreciative of part time staff and like to favour themselves over others.

They have no hesitation to strip you of your shifts if someone they like better is wanting for work hours.

Staff and full timers are always keeping the better shifts to themselves and are unwilling to help when it comes to cover and annual leave.

I would seriously advise looking elsewhere if you are looking for a job in which you are valued and respected.

I think that the only benefit I could say is that they had good flexibility for shifts.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
- bad communication with management, part time staff are not respected as much as full timers.
Learning every day
Swimming Teacher (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 February 2018
Is something a bit strange, because It could seem like I am doing the same job every day, doing the same things but I am actually learning a lot from the kids, their needs and improvements.
I use to work 5 hours per day, some days I am working more, so i get to my work and I am trying to be ready for all the lessons, knowing what I want to do with each group and each kid.
I have different stages to teach, from 3 years old to 15 and adults.
The most enjoyable part of the work is when I see that the pupils are having fun and they are learning at the same time, that makes me really happy.
Pros
having a better knowledge about kids in the water
quite a receptive
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Bexley, Greater London19 February 2018
Main duties included:

*welcoming and greeting customers in a professional and polite manner.
*showing customers in and around the gym
*showing clients how to properly use the facilities in a safe and effective way.
*taking bookings and using the telephone to keep records of memberships and inductions as well as classes.
Enjoyable workplace
Aquatics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 January 2018
Enjoyable workplace. Different things to deal woth each day. All staff work to help each other. Flexable work shift patterns if needes. Good teamwork and communication.
Customers sales advisor
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester16 January 2018
Overall a good company to work for. The company forces on sale on a high standard.
No paid breaks are a negative, but it is a relaxed atmosphere.
Management are supportive.
Pros
Building raptor with. Customers
Cons
Unpaid breaks.
busy and demanding
Senior customer service advisor (Former Employee) –  London15 January 2018
Beginning of every shift take 10 minutes to plan your day, set up appointments to convert to sales. Lead tours of the health clubs, free day trials and set up out reach which consists of going to the local community to generate interest to convert to sales.
Pros
Get to speak with lots of different people helping them achieve their goals
Cons
sales targets and income target with no comission
busy
Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bath14 January 2018
Gym programme design.
class instruction on gym floor and studio based.
inductions for variety of clients.
refocus sessions.
class cover when required.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GLL. Our community is ready to answer.