GlaxoSmithKline Employee Reviews

Learning
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 March 2018
At GlaxoSmithKline continuous learning is encouraged. Employees are encouraged to take external courses to become accredited with a respected qualification.
Pros
Flexible working
Excellent company with fantastic products
Respiratory Hospital Specialist (Former Employee) –  SE Wales13 March 2018
A very challenging company to work for who hold you totally accountable for your business plan, both individually and within your matrix team. One of the key things I have learned with GSK is that you should never take anything for granted as our customers are constantly evolving, expecting more, wanting great customers service, better value from their interactions with us and lastly fantastic products with great clinical data. I believe that the culture in the short term is set by management and the environment you work in is so important to employees which in turn is reflected in the quality of our customer interactions. The hardest part of the job is developing trust and long lasting relationships with consultants and allowing this to leverage a commercial outcome for you, the HCP and the patient. The best and most enjoyable part of my job is making a difference to patients .
Pros
Competitive salary
Cons
Home/work balance
Production roles: good pay / bad shifts - GSK Ware
Production Technical Operator (Former Employee) –  Ware10 March 2018
The money is excellent considering that you only need numeracy and literacy to get in the door. Most production jobs start as temp roles, and if you happen to join when they have built a new production line you can get a full-time job quite quickly. Or you can stay as a temp and still get a bloody good wage (typically £11 - £15 per hour plus shift allowance, so say £17 per hour averaged over the shift pattern)

I worked there for 17 years, 7 of them as a temp. I think I enjoyed my years as a temp more than the last 10 years, but that might be because I was getting old. However, working shifts for 17 years has really affected my health.

My advice for anyone looking to join GSK in the production or warehouse area: volunteer for every additional role you can (e.g. safety assessor, COSHH assessor, work-place trainer) - this shows good attitude, and gives you an excuse to get off line to go to meetings. And then apply for the next shift coordinator job that comes along. Get to production coordinator and you will never have to work a shift that you don't like ever again.

I didn't do this, which is why I'm no longer working for GSK.

If you can follow straightforward procedures (very very important - you're working with medicine), keep a straight face while listening to pure-grade corporate bollocks on a regular basis, and you can turn up to work on time, the work is very easy and the money is very good.

As with any big corporation, there is an over-abundance of middle management, all of whom have to justify their existence by being busy. And if you progress past Operator,
  more... this will seriously impact your day on a regular basis. .

There is a certain type of person (of which I am one) who will not be able to just keep my questions internalised. and in 30 years of employment in various jobs, I have ALWAYS attracted the attention of this type of manager. And not in a good way. If you are chuckling while reading this THIS MEANS YOU. Seriously, If you have a better poker face than me you will be fine.

This review applies only to production / warehouse roles at GSK Ware; laboratory assistant roles are poorly paid and not protected by union recognition (unlike production and warehouse roles, where Unite is the recognised union). The GSK R&D site, which is across the road from the manufacturing site, is completely organisationally separate from the manufacturing site: I have no idea how they stack up as an employer.

Recommended employer, if you can COMPLY!

Good luck!
Pros
No experience required, very good money
Cons
Shift work
Work Experience
Finance/ PC Lounge (Former Employee) –  Stockley Park9 March 2018
At GSk it was fantastic experience I ever had I learned lots of things such as how companies works I was based in the finance department.
They all respect each other at gsk the environment is so perfect and staff are very well respected to each other. the hardest part of the job was fidning the countries with alphabetical orders and the most enjoyable part of the work-experience job was to have a coffe with either laura or karen.
Pros
yes £5 free lunch voucher
Cons
No Long hours
Dedicated to providing patients with key medicine across the world
GPS Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Worthing7 March 2018
The company aims to produce key medicine that helps people all over the world recover from a multitude of infections. It is a good place to work but advancements in career are limited more recently due to a reduction in heads.
Pros
Free healthcare, good bonus, good pension schemes, share save schemes
Cons
Tough place to work with publically known closures of certain areas
Fabulous place to work
Team Leader Telecommunications Dept (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire7 March 2018
I started work with the company as a part time telephonist and was promoted over time to full time Telephone room supervisor. I loved the fact that every day was different and varied. From answering switchboard to being part of facilities management and arranging office moves.
Pros
Brilliant people and surroundings
Cons
Fun workplace - opportunities to learn
Management Accounting Analyst (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 March 2018
great company and worklife balance good management , nice enciroment , stict deadlines and profeesionalism is required .
Very good work culture
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 February 2018
Company has a good work/life balance. Delivery of objectives are team driven. Brainstorming, "thinking out side the box" encouraged and built upon.
Most enjoyable part of the day? All day you get to know and meet friendly faces from all areas willing to support you in whatever role they may be in. Guaranteed you will touch base with someone you need to reach out to in future.
Pros
Ability to grow and try new ideas without prejudice
Cons
Occasionally deadlines could be tight and adhoc meetings in other time zones
Fun place to work
Finance Business Partner (Current Employee) –  London10 February 2018
Contribute to project management,
Challenging but rewarding with opportunities to grow and develop personally and professionally. The potential of relocating is appealing within limits.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Working lunch
Treated as a throwaway employee
Microbiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire10 February 2018
Being a recent graduate on a 6 month contract, I was very excited to work for a large company such as GSK in their microbiology lab. I completed all the online training swiftly and was waiting on my practical training. This however never came as I was suddenly told I was going to be moved from the labs to an office role that had nothing to do with the original job I applied for. After trying to give excuses as to why this happened they couldn't even tell me how long I was being moved for. They told me everyone who hasn't received practical training will be being moved to the office position however when I arrived there I found out it was only me. Understandably I was angry that I had been lied to and emailed my manager that I would like to speak to someone about this. A couple of hours later I got a call from my recruitment agency telling me that GSK had terminated my contract. Absolutely disgusting and immoral behaviour from such a large company. Complete waste of my time and effort. Most the people there seemed incompetent too and were just following rules for the sake of it without questioning/understanding things.
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  Stockley Park, Greater London7 February 2018
Overall Good place to work
Lot of opportunities at lower level, great friendly environment with good staff facilities and great support.
only negatives could be the level of change
Good
qa scientist (Current Employee) –  Worthing6 February 2018
Enjoyable.working under pressure. So many politics. Management does not encourage staff opinions. The very conservative mindset of the management. No progression. SO much staff turnover because of the management.
Pros
good company
Cons
Conservative management.
Excellent place to work
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex31 January 2018
The company is very supportive and there are plenty of training opportunities. Great networking between departments on site and frequent internal recruitment.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
Expected to work overtime
Great Place to work
PMO Analyst (Former Employee) –  London29 January 2018
GSK, GlaxoSmithKline has great people and is a great place to work.
Great culture and vision
Excellent building
Excellent parking
Excellent IT services
Great place to gain experiance
Continuous Tableting Line Platform Lead (Current Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire28 January 2018
GSK GMs Ware offers of great opportunity to gain experience however, opportunities for advancement can be limited depending on the route to wish your career to take.
Pros
Opertunities to gain experince
Cons
Based in expensive area of the UK
Great learning experience, poor work/life balance, fast paced
Assistant Financial Controller Northern Europe (Current Employee) –  London23 January 2018
Great learning experience, poor work/life balance, fast paced company full of system implementations, restructuring, outsourcing. Work culture depends on sub-cultures
Interesting & Busy
Apprentice (Current Employee) –  North East22 January 2018
Working at GSK gives you the chance to see state of the art production lines as well as development of world-class pharmaceutical products.

There is a good culture within the organisation and hard work is rewarded.
Gsk
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Stevenage22 January 2018
Daily donor session
Database update
Friendly flexible team
Professional environment
Learned good venepuncture skills
Excellent ongoing e.learning training
Pros
Flexible working environment
Cons
Not enough hours available
Fill Pack Operator (Former Employee) –  Barnard Castle, Durham19 January 2018
Excellent employer that taught me alot about the importance of safety and compliance, the importance of working as a team and the benfits of a safe work place would go back in a heartbeat.
friendly place to work
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Barnard Castle19 January 2018
you work 37.5 hours a week
shft work - encludes
06.00-14.00
14.00-22.00
10.00-06.00
good hourly rate of pay
chance of over time on weekend and after your shift
Pros
friendly work friends amnd great wage
Cons
short contracts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GlaxoSmithKline. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2