GlaxoSmithKline Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 66 reviews matching the search See all 3,440 reviews
Good at some things, bad at others
Data Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 December 2018
Overall what GSK stands for and it's values are an encouraging sign for the future of patient healthcare but working there isn't the most invigorating experience. GSK wants the best employees working for them and with competitive salaries and benefits, they manage to keep hold of these people for long periods of time. There are a lot of people working there passing milestones of 10, 15, 20+ years of service at GSK and with that comes the "set way" of working which can be problematic when you are new to the workplace environment and wanting to push forward new ideas. One other thing noticeable is the age gap between the university graduates and the long-standing employees which doesn't bode well for good work-social lives.
Pros
can make very good business contacts for the future
Cons
expensive lunches for what is on offer, narrow focus on job roles that come with large companies
GSK: A company with high values, that aren't adhered to
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  England29 November 2018
As with most rep jobs, the contracted hours of work are 9-5. However, there is a clear expectation that you work outside of these hours - i.e. start at 7 am, and sometimes finish at 6/7pm in order to access the right number of HCPs a day. In short, there is no work-life balance. Unless you already have contacts within your territory that you can use to achieve your face to face targets, this is probably not the company to work for.

GSK have a lot to offer as a company to its customers and employees alike. However, managers are so obsessed with making a good impression for themselves, GSK has become exactly what it has tried to steer away from - a company that is all about the numbers and not about the people. I have watched colleagues 'let go' for the smallest reasons such as not completing a module on time. Given the expected working hours, a dismissal for such minor points is outrageous.

Unsurprisingly, the best part of this role had nothing to do with GSK at all - and that is having meaningful conversations with my customers.
Pros
A competitive salary
Cons
High expectations of employees with no gratitude for their hard work
Fun place to work
Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Stockley Park, Greater London21 November 2018
Good place to work. Easy to move around and try to expand skill set. Sometimes difficult to get flexible working hours when you have kids. All good until new manager came on board who demoralised
Pros
Nice people and culture, intention seems to always be good
Cons
No flexible hours when you have kids
Well paid for roles offered with attractive benefits. Poorly managed at the ground level
QA Scientist (Current Employee) –  South East10 November 2018
GSK are an a barely adequate employer if you are looking for a 'basic' role in the GMS buisness. There is much talk of employee empowerment, living their values, engendering a culture of respect and trust and employee recognition.

The truth is at as a lower-level employee this is false. The staff turnover is almost unbelievable, especially considering the level of training and expertise that should be required to work in such and environment. The focus is solely on short-term money saving, to the extent that long term risk is disregarded in order to meet immediate targets. There is no clear direction from any level in the organisation.

In all respects, especially with safety, there is a growing culture that the craks are papered over with poorly developed CAPA with no thought to longevity or solving systemic issues.

In brief, in my experience, GSK values and culture work well on paper. However, the reality is that operations will do everything in their power to seem like the brief is being met with little regard to quality or safety with a specific disregard for employee wellbeing or development.
Pros
Best overall salary/benefit package availabe for entry-level employees
Cons
Terrible workplace and culture where politics come before quality or safety
Machine operator
Senior machine operator (Former Employee) –  Slough7 November 2018
Great company worked for 43 years
Provided great Benifits
Great hr team
Supportive company in terms of having a family
Made some good friends , life long friends
Pros
Pension
aaa
OJT Learning Advisor (Current Employee) –  GMS7 November 2018
Typical large multinational company. Good company good environment and working conditions benefits and expectations are acceptable. Working hours are variable depending on workload and tasks required
Pros
aa
Cons
aa
Productive and fun workplace. Work hard play hard.
VP of the R2R Transformation (Former Employee) –  Brentford, Greater London29 October 2018
Go through manager's diary
flag up any issues.
set up complex meetings with manager, heads of department
raise purchase orders
update databases
compile powerpoint presentations
Booking Europe and International travel always looking for the best deals.
Booking hotels as approved by the company.
Pros
flexible working, working from home
Cons
hot desks
Good Culture,Brilliant people to work with
Production Process Cell Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Slough22 October 2018
One day would never be the same, there would always be a challenging moment.I made a serious effort to make my team the best they could be I treated them as individuals with there own personal qualities.I got rewarded with good results when things were really challenging they stepped up a gear when needed without to much prompting.The management team were difficult at times but also rewarding .The hardest part of my job was to see a group of dedicated hard working people all leave a organisation.The most enjoyable part is that we all supported each other when things got really tough there was definitely a family feel we built over the years
Pros
Solid organisation to work for good with benefits
Cons
Pay more attention to junior staff
A monster
Production Artwork / Repro Operator (Current Employee) –  Barnard Castle21 October 2018
The money and benefits are good. The people you will work alongside are great, but the organisation is a monster. It will eat you up and chew you up and then spit you out when done.
Well run company, with good benefits.
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex22 August 2018
Productive work place. Well rewarded job. Very secure job. A job for ambitious people, looking for a long term job.
Making medicines to help people is a rewarding experience.
Pros
Good time off.
Cons
Fixed rota working, could be more flexible.
a very good company to work in
REGIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR EUROPE (Current Employee) –  Brentford20 July 2018
GSK is a very nice company to live in and to work in. The work environment is just amazingly wonderful, and it is very enjoyable to benefit such good conditions in a very nice and friendly atmosphere.
The role of RSA Europe includes many various tasks and this makes the job really enjoyable as every days are not exactly the same.
You can work either from the office in Brentford, from home or from the various sites you are visiting all around Europe.
I have learned how to live in a Corporate of a major multinational firm, in a matrix-style organisation.
I have developed my skills in the security of the Supply Chain, including Transportation and Storage of sensitive goods.
I have created, developed and animated a network of Security Champions all over Europe and I organized monthly conf calls to enhance the share of good practices and security awareness.
I really liked to visit the sites and conduct security surveys/audits as well as Business Continuity Training to the LOCs managers.
Pros
Excellent work environment, nice and friendly company culture, very good benefits programme
Best Pharmaceutical Company in my view
Sales Executive/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  East Anglia13 May 2018
Loved working here within all of the disease areas I represented.
Really good life changing drugs
Really good people and opportunities
Good salary and benefits
Pros
Loads
Cons
few
Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Barnard Castle, Durham25 April 2018
I enjoy working for GSK, however their decision-making regarding workforce is somewhat frustrating.
Typically I have a scheduled day and proceed through the day completing my tasks to ensure the day's schedule is met.
Pros
salary, holidays, work/life balance
Cons
job security
good
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire3 April 2018
on thr refurbishment, the work was generally well organised. the odd times we waited for materials. some of the management team could have/needed man management lessons
Pros
free car park
Cons
expensive temporary accomodation locally/nearby
Excellent company with fantastic products
Respiratory Hospital Specialist (Former Employee) –  SE Wales13 March 2018
A very challenging company to work for who hold you totally accountable for your business plan, both individually and within your matrix team. One of the key things I have learned with GSK is that you should never take anything for granted as our customers are constantly evolving, expecting more, wanting great customers service, better value from their interactions with us and lastly fantastic products with great clinical data. I believe that the culture in the short term is set by management and the environment you work in is so important to employees which in turn is reflected in the quality of our customer interactions. The hardest part of the job is developing trust and long lasting relationships with consultants and allowing this to leverage a commercial outcome for you, the HCP and the patient. The best and most enjoyable part of my job is making a difference to patients .
Pros
Competitive salary
Cons
Home/work balance
Excellent first manager, second terrible.
Auxiliary Sales Manager - Feb 2002 (Former Employee) –  Brentford, Greater London13 February 2018
On joining SmithKline Beecham it was a wonderful business, excellent managers. On merging with Glaxo the business changed, they became terribly ruthless. When my father passed away I was sign off for depression and the HR manager along with my manager visited me at home - checked my medication all of which is illegal.
Pros
Salary good, SmithKline Beecham wonderful but GSK terrible
Cons
Illegal practise when off sick
friendly place to work
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Barnard Castle19 January 2018
you work 37.5 hours a week
shft work - encludes
06.00-14.00
14.00-22.00
10.00-06.00
good hourly rate of pay
chance of over time on weekend and after your shift
Pros
friendly work friends amnd great wage
Cons
short contracts
Great pay for menial work
Technical Technician (Former Employee) –  Worthing17 January 2018
Glaxo will treat you very well in terms of wages / pension / bonus etc - the majority of the work ( shop floor ) is very menial and boring but if you can put up with it then the money is there to be had.
Pros
monies
Cons
very clicky management structure
Fun team
Document Controller/Administrator/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montrose, Angus15 January 2018
working within the design/engineering team and construction team as part of a project team to deliver a brand new design and build of chemical plant
Pros
close to home & good team
Cons
no longevity or security with job & low salary
Great Workplace
Accounts Receivable Executive (Former Employee) –  Stockley Park, Greater London15 January 2018
I really enjoyed to work in GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare. I was based in Stockley Park (Finance Department) and I was part of a excellent team.
Pros
Free lunches and celebrations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GlaxoSmithKline. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2