GlaxoSmithKline Employee Reviews in Ware

Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ware19 October 2018
Fast paced workplace culture and enjoyable dynamic. Gain valuable skills and knowledge which will make you stand out to a potential employer. Possible to use skills across other departments.
Wrok Experience

great atmosphere

help meet objectives

personnal development

reward hard work
good
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire3 April 2018
on thr refurbishment, the work was generally well organised. the odd times we waited for materials. some of the management team could have/needed man management lessons
Pros
free car park
Cons
expensive temporary accomodation locally/nearby
Production roles: good pay / bad shifts - GSK Ware
Production Technical Operator (Former Employee) –  Ware10 March 2018
The money is excellent considering that you only need numeracy and literacy to get in the door. Most production jobs start as temp roles, and if you happen to join when they have built a new production line you can get a full-time job quite quickly. Or you can stay as a temp and still get a bloody good wage (typically £11 - £15 per hour plus shift allowance, so say £17 per hour averaged over the shift pattern)

I worked there for 17 years, 7 of them as a temp. I think I enjoyed my years as a temp more than the last 10 years, but that might be because I was getting old. However, working shifts for 17 years has really affected my health.

My advice for anyone looking to join GSK in the production or warehouse area: volunteer for every additional role you can (e.g. safety assessor, COSHH assessor, work-place trainer) - this shows good attitude, and gives you an excuse to get off line to go to meetings. And then apply for the next shift coordinator job that comes along. Get to production coordinator and you will never have to work a shift that you don't like ever again.

I didn't do this, which is why I'm no longer working for GSK.

If you can follow straightforward procedures (very very important - you're working with medicine), keep a straight face while listening to pure-grade corporate bollocks on a regular basis, and you can turn up to work on time, the work is very easy and the money is very good.

As with any big corporation, there is an over-abundance of middle management, all of whom have to justify their existence by being busy. And if you progress past Operator,
  more... this will seriously impact your day on a regular basis. .

There is a certain type of person (of which I am one) who will not be able to just keep my questions internalised. and in 30 years of employment in various jobs, I have ALWAYS attracted the attention of this type of manager. And not in a good way. If you are chuckling while reading this THIS MEANS YOU. Seriously, If you have a better poker face than me you will be fine.

This review applies only to production / warehouse roles at GSK Ware; laboratory assistant roles are poorly paid and not protected by union recognition (unlike production and warehouse roles, where Unite is the recognised union). The GSK R&D site, which is across the road from the manufacturing site, is completely organisationally separate from the manufacturing site: I have no idea how they stack up as an employer.

Recommended employer, if you can COMPLY!

Good luck!
Pros
No experience required, very good money
Cons
Shift work
Treated as a throwaway employee
Microbiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire10 February 2018
Being a recent graduate on a 6 month contract, I was very excited to work for a large company such as GSK in their microbiology lab. I completed all the online training swiftly and was waiting on my practical training. This however never came as I was suddenly told I was going to be moved from the labs to an office role that had nothing to do with the original job I applied for. After trying to give excuses as to why this happened they couldn't even tell me how long I was being moved for. They told me everyone who hasn't received practical training will be being moved to the office position however when I arrived there I found out it was only me. Understandably I was angry that I had been lied to and emailed my manager that I would like to speak to someone about this. A couple of hours later I got a call from my recruitment agency telling me that GSK had terminated my contract. Absolutely disgusting and immoral behaviour from such a large company. Complete waste of my time and effort. Most the people there seemed incompetent too and were just following rules for the sake of it without questioning/understanding things.
Great place to gain experiance
Continuous Tableting Line Platform Lead (Current Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire28 January 2018
GSK GMs Ware offers of great opportunity to gain experience however, opportunities for advancement can be limited depending on the route to wish your career to take.
Pros
Opertunities to gain experince
Cons
Based in expensive area of the UK
best place to work for,standardised and career fulfilling
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Ware1 January 2018
I joined GSK as temp via Randstad, ware. its been absolute amazing experience, only regret is that why I didn't work here as my first job. if you follow rules and do your job following SOP's and HSE at heart,you go long way. I would definitely recommend working here for graduate trainee or new starter. complete job satisfaction and feeling of happy coming to work and leaving work.
Pros
breakfast vouchers of going extra mile
Cons
absolutely nothing
Great company
Service Operator (Dispensary) (Former Employee) –  Ware27 December 2017
Great place to work, great people. Very interesting work that no-one who doesn't work there would never get to see. Only worked there for a short time but would certainly go back.
Good place learn
Associate Scientist (Former Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire8 November 2017
Day is busy
New techniques to learn everyday.
Management is good
Work culture balanced.
Long hours in lab, career progression is slow.
Good social events, team members are helpful.
Excellent experience
Quality Oversight Officer (Former Employee) –  Ware8 November 2017
I have developed my career in GSK , I have enjoyed all my roles.
Management is excellent , great work life balance.
I would highly recommend to work here and would like to go back.
Technical Operator (Former Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire17 August 2017
Very long and unsociable hours. 12 hour rotating days and nights when I was there. Good bunch of people. Management ok. No better or worse than anywhere else.
Pros
Time off
Non Demanding `computer Work
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire, UK22 June 2017
This was the ideal job, as you got to work from home but still be able to communicate with the team. the pay was very good for my age. however the change in staff and management meant my job was constantly under review and tactics were used to make sure people worked harder even though the progress we made was a lot better than it had ever been. too much demand and not enough respect from new management.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
Management Issues
Busy well regulated environment
Work Placed Trainer & Inbound/Sampling Operator (Former Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire15 June 2017
Learnt plenty of new skills, involved in all aspects of Warehousing, Health and Safety, Quality control and auditing.
Appreciated the prioritising of Quality over Quantity within the site
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Constant restructuring and work pattern changes
Tablet manufacturing / SOP author (complementary) (Former Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire11 June 2017
For someone with a professional work ethic and a desire to progress as an individual, Glaxo is a very good place to work. I would recommend this company as a place to work.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Shift work
Exciting but stable working environment
Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire4 June 2017
A typical day within the laboratory would be in a routine testing lane, performing one of the many quality assurance tests. This may consist of using automated equipment or more manual based test methods. From working in quality assurance I have a very keen eye for detail and following protocols and procedures has become second nature to me. The workplace environment is extremely positive and development is widely encouraged within the company. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is learning new methods and procedures within the lab and also helping out with investigation work where needed. The job can be challenging when business demands are high, for example a high workload in the lab at the same time as equipment issues could mean working in a high pressure environment for a few weeks which is sometimes hard to deal with after a prolonged period of time.
Pros
Huge sense of 'one team'
Cons
Occasionally working under pressure for prolonged periods of time
Very good company to work for.
Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ware17 October 2016
The daily work is very routine, but the management do attempt to vary things with project work coupled with numerous development opportunities. There is a strong team ethic within all aspects of the company which is a fantastic source of motivation.
Pros
Benefits, strong team mentality.
Cons
Lack of appraisals and regular feedback.
Productive and supportive
Product Performance Technologist/Statistician (Former Employee) –  Ware23 August 2016
I believe GlaxoSmithKline was by far the most beneficial and intellectual places to work for my placement year. I received such a warm welcome and training was easily understood and well taught. The people were very friendly and the company on a whole had so much to offer, allowing me to gain experience in OSD and Respiratory Manufacturing, Product Performace and Statistics, Microbiology, IMQC labs and R&D.
Pros
People
Cons
Stairs!
Good Work Place
Data Entry Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ware18 August 2016
Job Is Good and the company makes the best effort to keep you happy. But the way they work out your holiday (which is through an outside company) is very complicated and hard to understand.

Office is very well kept and they do give you every comfort possible to make sure you are happy at happy at work.

My team is a great one to work with and we all get along very well.
Pros
1 hour lunch, discount on company products
Cons
Temp jobs get very little vacation
Interesting Project
Senior Regulatory Executive (Former Employee) –  Ware15 July 2016
Project Edge Global license review project, Gap analysis, Risk evaluation, Regulatory strategy and remediation, I was responsible for closing over 1000 gaps.
Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  Ware, ENG25 August 2015
In general GSK is a great place to work. Its respectful and the culture good.
I have found career advancement difficult in early years, but now I am working in an area I enjoy I believe this will be easier.
Cons
Hard to progress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GlaxoSmithKline. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2