GlaxoSmithKline Employee Reviews in Stevenage

Friendly flexible team
Professional environment
Learned good venepuncture skills
Excellent ongoing e.learning training
Pros
Flexible working environment
Cons
Not enough hours available
Nice place to work, but overall frustrating
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire25 October 2017
It’s not all bad, job security is good, you can work as hard as you like (or not at all), and the pay is ok if you get bonuses and awards. If you’re looking to do great science in a dynamic fast moving industry environment, this is probably not the place for you. Many frustrating barriers to doing simple tasks. Career development - you’re on your own.
Pros
Nice people, interesting and varied work
Cons
Doing science sometimes seems like an afterthought, chaotic processes, little career development
only weeks work experience
laboratory staff (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Herts, UK22 June 2017
the week i spent a GlaxoSmithKline was very enjoyable shadowing different experiments and learning many new things and getting to interact with all the lastest technology they had.
work experince
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire26 May 2017
Was an inspirational experience which i loved and inspired me in my chemistry career and to do a chemistry degree. I hope to go back one day to work again for the company.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Industrial Cadet (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire24 May 2017
As this was just a work experience esque placement, I did not have too much of a daily task. However, it allowed me to gain an insight into the work that I wish to go into after my degree has ended. It also allowed me to understand the greater runnings in a large corporation such as GSK.
Pros
Free lunches and drinks, Great staff
work is good but management needs revision
Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire19 April 2017
enjoyed work although it was intense at times
company culture was good but dept needed work
enjoyed learning about how medicines are progressed and how that translated into helping people
Good company
Senior Scientist (Current Employee) –  Stevenage5 April 2017
I work as a contractor. As a contractor you don't get much development opportunities, there is certain degree of segregation with permanent staff. On going short job contract does't give much job security or benefits.
In overall happy about the company.
Pros
Good work and life balance
Cons
Less development opportunities
Productive and Inspiring
CASE Studentship PhD Student (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire20 February 2017
Excellent worksite with amazing equipment and facilities. All staff were professional yet personable and excellent scientists. Great sense of cameraderie. Provides very good work life balance.
Pros
Excellent culture and people, very good work-life balance
Collaborative work place
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire16 January 2017
Collaborative workplace with autonomy to manage own workload day to day and good work life balance. Friendly professional working environment with receptiveness to discuss and run with new ideas and approaches.
Innovative and purpose bulit
SENIOR ANALYTICAL SCIENTIST (Current Employee) –  Stevenage5 November 2016
Log on to the main server.
Retrieve emails and meeting invites.
Refer to task briefing of the work package.
Carryout required analysis.
Write up report on the experiment.
Record worked hours on weekly time sheet.
Pre-plan the next task.
Pros
Flexible hours and independent working
Cons
May not find the time to bond with other workers
safe envoironment
Fire alarm engineer (Current Employee) –  Stevenage19 March 2016
I was engineering for a company that is in charge of the fire alarms , so I am not directly working for GSK. The managers made sure we all worked safe and and to a very high standard, I also made a lot of friends but I cant see me furthering my career there unfortunately.
Rewarding and Productive Work Environment
Senior Data Network Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire14 June 2015
A typical day at work would include resolving LAN and WAN related Incidents that are impacting the GSK Network Infrastructure.

There are many different technologies deployed and I have learned how to Identify problems using basic trouble shooting techniques or with the use of various management tools to assist with Proactive management of the network.

I have a good working relationship with my manager,who provides guidance and support when ever it is required
My Manager is always available if required.

My Co workers are an integral part of the way the team functions and dependable,we support each other in order to meet the goals of our service group.

Meeting deadlines are sometimes an issue,but I have learned to discuss and set deadlines with my team that they find reasonable.

I find the resolution of issues or being able to direct people to where they are able to get the information they are seeking is most satisfying including closing off potential gaps in a service chain.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Long Hours
Large ever changing Corporate Company
Sn Voice Analyst (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, ENG4 February 2015
This company has many different internal business group and this is reflected in the different service levels and budgets, allowing some sites/Business groups to progress with changes/technologies and others to maintain old technology and processes. Therefore when working in an Operational position supporting these groups, you would need to be extremely adaptable to the approach of each group. Building a knowledge of these differences will take many months positively years to gain and therefore hinders any new starter to join the company hitting the ground running.
The IT sector within this company goes through a re-organisation every 18 months and this has led to many groups either being outsourced or removed, with a high number staff being made redundant during the past 10yrs and therefore no longer recruit permanent external staff.
This company does have a very good approach on work balance and is extremely flexible and fair to members of staff and practices a very open policy.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Extremely hard to get Promotion within this company
Une belle experience
TRT Data Analyst, Supply Chain Accounting (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, ENG12 January 2015
En charge de très gros fournisseurs tels que le leadeur mondiale de la distribution de vaccin, ce poste fut un excellent tremplin pour moi,cette entreprise et ce domaine me passionnent. Du traitement des données jusque la facturation en passant par le suivis des commandes, cela fus très agréable.
Pros
Equipe, travail a l'echelle internationnale
On the up?
Director (Current Employee) –  Stevenage13 December 2014
Not sure GSK is the darling of investors that it used to be. Some high profile knocks to reputation and under-achievement in margins and sales (especially in US) have hit us hard. Nevertheless a great place to work. If you get one of the good managers and work hard - you're in a satisfying career
Great work atmosphere for science
Placement Student - IPS (Former Employee) –  Stevenage7 October 2014
A wealth of experience working in various endeavours to produce new drugs. A great place for a student to learn about the pharmaceutical industry and how large companies work. Lots of support and encouragement.
Pros
Large company on dedicated site
Cons
Stimulating and productive place to work. There is constant change so job never stays the same.
Manager biopharm translational medicine (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, ENG22 September 2014
Stimulating and challenging place to work. Nice environment to work with pleasant colleagues. The hardest part of the job is understanding the science but also set up does involve working in matrix teams to potentially several people can be doing a similar role so this can be a challenge.
Pros
Good share options, long term reward packages, pleasant environment, nice people
Cons
can be difficult to progress, difficulties with working across areas
Working for GSK as a placement student
Industrial Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, ENG11 February 2014
GSK is an integral part of our society as they provide many key consumer healthcare products and medicines. Having completed an industrial placement with Biopharm R&D my interest in the company grew. I was struck by how dedicated GSK scientists are in developing the next generation of drugs. I am passionate about drug discovery and believe the science carried out at GSK is world leading. I learnt many important laboratory skills and techniques whilst on placement and I also made significant personal gains including a real improvement in my ability to communicate with people, team working skills and confidence. On a daily basis my work involved culturing cells and preparing them for experimentation, including cell lines and primary cells. I would run immunological assays, carry out confocal microscopy and flow cytometry to gather relevant data. Knowing how to use these techniques meant I was able to generate high quality results and decide on the next experimental steps to take. At GSK I was particularly well managed, and was always able to get in contact with my supervisor should I need any assistance. I met with my supervisor and group on a weekly basis to present my findings and discuss what the next steps should be. Teamwork is an essential tool in any discovery project. The ability to listen to, exchange and debate ideas with a group of scientists is a valuable skill and allows a collective thought process to emerge. Being part of a team enabled me to consolidate these skills. The culmination of my year was a presentation to the Biopharm R&D Department entailing the purpose  more... of my research, the processes I used and results obtained. This was probably the most challenging aspect of my work placement but the confidence and communication skills I acquired over the year allowed me to deliver my presentation in a professional and succinct manner and then answer questions. For me the most enjoyable part of the job was working as part of a team to generate data to characterise the molecule we were working on and demonstrate that it would be effective should it be taken into the clinic. I enjoyed the satisfaction of generating results that were meaningful to the group and my time at GSK made mademe realise the possible future career I could have.  less
Great Place to work
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, ENG26 January 2014
This was a Great Place to work, sadly only for the 18 month Contract they could allow. Gave me a basis to work within a large team and on my own. It greatly advanced my organisational skills as I had several areas and key responsibilities that I had to maintain.
Pros
Very Good working ethos
Cons
Fixed term contract
Has good facilities
Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  Stevenage8 November 2013
Dependable company in the eyes of the public, in reality expect to be at risk of redundancy and see massive staff cuts on a yearly basis
Pros
good share scheme
Cons
no real pay rises and always redundancies and cuts being made

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GlaxoSmithKline. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2