GlaxoSmithKline Employee Reviews

Found 369 reviews matching the search See all 3,620 reviews
Good organisation
Lead Regional Engineer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 April 2019
A good organisation to work and ample opportunities to learn. Like any other organisation there can sometime be some conflicting priorities. Current going through a re-organisation and has been for sometime now.
very good workforce
Supervisor/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Ulverston2 April 2019
friendly people to work with helpful and a good team spirit all around site there is much improvement to carry on the good name of this company and will be our future in years to come
Pros
very clean and tidy site at ulverston
Cons
long hours at times
Politics
Finance (Former Employee) –  London11 March 2019
Seems to be who you know, rather than performance and not everyone gets equal opportunities.

Management not very good at keeping team involved, or informed.
Team work within the shared services
HR/Reward Representative (Former Employee) –  London8 March 2019
Busy workloads

I learned to share information that will be useful within the group.

Management have an open culture including being honest.

Workplace culture approves cultural differences.

The hardest part of doing the calculating part within the Workday systems.

The most enjoyable part is to be able to educate managers on how to use the performance appraisal forms.
Pros
Duplicates
Cons
Shortbreaks
Good development opportunities across a varied business
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Field Based4 March 2019
A good workplace culture allows an honest and open working environment in the office. Isolation predominant in field based roles however. A lot of emphasis on development however means opportunities to gain wider experiences are always prevalent.
Pros
Good culture and a lot of emphasis on development
Cons
Flat hierarchy makes progression difficult
Good place to work if you want a long career in a single company
QA Scientist (Current Employee) –  Worthing28 February 2019
GSK is a good place to work if you want a long career in a single company, but development is difficult to get. Many people have worked here for 10-50 years happily, but staying in more or less the same role. Development must always be done independently of the workplace.

Workplace culture is good, people are friendly, there is a strong push for working ethics, transparency, avoiding "blame culture", and making sure people are comfortable in their jobs.
Pros
Free tea and coffee, flexible working
Cons
Receive very little development
Maria Sinani for GSK
Accounts Payable Executive (Former Employee) –  London25 February 2019
I had the most positive experience in GSK company.

I hired under the project of the transition of the department to a third party and from the first date I could understand a high quality organisation.

I was given time to adapt at the department by having proper hands off time form the predecessor.

I was given the opportunity to learn and grow with in the company and in a short period of time I was leading the knowledge transfer of the team.

The culture of the organisation, by embracing every single individual, made people how loved working for the company.

My manager was a very respectful person with ability to coordinate the team and give the best solution when issues were arising.

The company policies were protecting the people within the organisation and were giving tools to grow.
Institutionalised Management with no real life experience
AO (Current Employee) –  Durham8 February 2019
Disappointing company to work for.

Lots of hot air spouted in regards to Values Courage Integrity etc.
Main values seems to be Hypocrisy & cowardice.
Inability to accept differing opinions, scared of change.
Scary that many people in charge have no knowledge of what they are in charge of so therefore make decisions based only upon expected GSK behaviours. Unable to adapt to what is happening out in the real world.
Cossetted leadership that would genuinely struggle to work anywhere else.
Pros
Good work life balance. No real presssure
Cons
No opportunity to progress. Closed shop. Favouritism
great work life balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 January 2019
people are GSK's most important assets and therefore work life balance is encouraged. management are understanding and easy to talk too. I have always been valued.
Pros
Great Salary
production department
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Crawley23 January 2019
the day to day running and maintaining the very high standards that are required to make pharmaceutical tablets. working within a great team of people and supporting them within their roles
Pros
nice working enviroment
Cons
working shifts
Not for me.
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex22 January 2019
It was a temporary job that ended permanent to bay rents and outstanding bills.

The job itself was relatively straight forward, working days and night shifts.

The management were rude, and very much made you feel like you were a number not a person.

The result came first, how we felt as employees seemed to not matter so much.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Unsociable hours, no team feel.
Excellent
Supply Co-Ordinator (Former Employee) –  Ware16 January 2019
What a great company to work for with great benefits. I really did enjoy working for Glaxo. The staff were all fab and any help required for understanding was always on hand.
I am ashamed to work for this company.
Rather not say (Current Employee) –  Definitely rather not say7 January 2019
Incompetence is rife!
I have been employed by gsk for some 14 years as a lowly scum of the earth production technician in sterile manufacturing.
During this time I have endured bullying, discrimination, intimidation and something akin to torture! (Was left on a line for months that caused severe agony to a known pre-existing spinal injury and when I asked for transfer was called a liar and ignored).
During my employment my work load tripled beyond my contracted role yet my job description was never updated to reflect this and my salary was NEVER increased to compliment the additional skill set or work load.
A history of depression was treated as an inconvenience and disregarded thus causing me to spiral further downhill rather than heal until eventually I became unable to function in a normal life.
Payroll made consecutive errors for five straight years claiming that my contract was wrong yet to this day that contract still hasn't been updated. gsk however claim I now owe them thousands of pounds which I have no chance of ever settling.
Middle management with no clue of business management or production methods bully teams into achieving the impossible and then penalise hardworking, dedicated teams for not meeting targets while those same managers enjoy all of the trappings of success.
Morale is catastrophic across the site but by their own admission the managers don't know how to resolve the issue so they instead choose to ignore it.
My mental health became so severe that inactivity ultimately lead to further spinal trouble and eventually disability
  more... leaving me unable to work since mid 2016. This has resulted in me ending up homeless and broke. Unable to leave gsk and seek new employment elsewhere due to payrolls' mistakes and a binding contract meaning I can't resign while indebted. The company meanwhile has made no effort to redeploy me. Throughout 2017 I had only two instances of contact with gsk who otherwise seem to have forgotten I exist.
In a nutshell; gsk, a company that exists above the law for the sole benefit of it's managers and it's shareholders.
Appalling company to work for at the CRITICAL production level.
Good workplace
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Irvine2 January 2019
Summer student.
Work was not difficult, could have been better prepared for a summer student coming in.
Great team, good people to work with. All compact so you know everyone.
Stress free and fun to work here
Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Stevenage1 January 2019
As I have a few minor disabilities I am not suited to work behind a till with the pressures of busy times. I loved being a contract worker at GSK as the people were accepting of me despite my disabilities and I got to work with rats, mice and mini-pigs which gave me more knowledge of the individual species.
Pros
Working with Animals
Cons
Not enough work for all the staff which is why my contract got terminated
Incoming Packaging Inspection Technician (Former Employee) –  Barnard Castle, UK9 December 2018
Was on a temporary contract no security but staff are very friendly and lovely place to work.
Training very good management very supportive and friendly
Pros
People
Good at some things, bad at others
Data Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 December 2018
Overall what GSK stands for and it's values are an encouraging sign for the future of patient healthcare but working there isn't the most invigorating experience. GSK wants the best employees working for them and with competitive salaries and benefits, they manage to keep hold of these people for long periods of time. There are a lot of people working there passing milestones of 10, 15, 20+ years of service at GSK and with that comes the "set way" of working which can be problematic when you are new to the workplace environment and wanting to push forward new ideas. One other thing noticeable is the age gap between the university graduates and the long-standing employees which doesn't bode well for good work-social lives.
Pros
can make very good business contacts for the future
Cons
expensive lunches for what is on offer, narrow focus on job roles that come with large companies
fantastic
Learning and Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire29 November 2018
fun and fantastic lovely conditions
learnt everything at glaxos
management very professional and yet remain real
fabulous second to none work culture
hardest part of the job - there really wasn't one
Every thing about this job was enjoyable
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
GSK: A company with high values, that aren't adhered to
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  England29 November 2018
As with most rep jobs, the contracted hours of work are 9-5. However, there is a clear expectation that you work outside of these hours - i.e. start at 7 am, and sometimes finish at 6/7pm in order to access the right number of HCPs a day. In short, there is no work-life balance. Unless you already have contacts within your territory that you can use to achieve your face to face targets, this is probably not the company to work for.

GSK have a lot to offer as a company to its customers and employees alike. However, managers are so obsessed with making a good impression for themselves, GSK has become exactly what it has tried to steer away from - a company that is all about the numbers and not about the people. I have watched colleagues 'let go' for the smallest reasons such as not completing a module on time. Given the expected working hours, a dismissal for such minor points is outrageous.

Unsurprisingly, the best part of this role had nothing to do with GSK at all - and that is having meaningful conversations with my customers.
Pros
A competitive salary
Cons
High expectations of employees with no gratitude for their hard work
Temp
Temporary Contract (Former Employee) –  Worthing, UK29 November 2018
To guarantee all products are correctly weighed within a sterile environment.
To ensure all paper work is correct before the manufacturing stage.
To uphold the company’s high level performance rate by regularly hitting targets set.
Reason for leaving: This was only a temporary position and the contract ended.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GlaxoSmithKline. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2