GlaxoSmithKline Employee Reviews

Very motivating place to work with incredible support and guidance
Industrial Placement Student (Current Employee) –  Brentford5 May 2018
As an industrial placement student my team really helped to develop me as a professional and an individual. I feel I have been equipped with the skills to succeed in my future.
Work Experience
Shadowing Senior Analyst from the BioCTL team (Former Employee) –  Stevenage4 May 2018
I had the best time shadowing the senior analyst and learned a a lot of new things in the 1 week. It showed me the side of the pharmaceutical industry where everyday is a different day and there are set targets that every individual gets to achieve in a period of time.
Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Barnard Castle, Durham25 April 2018
I enjoy working for GSK, however their decision-making regarding workforce is somewhat frustrating.
Typically I have a scheduled day and proceed through the day completing my tasks to ensure the day's schedule is met.
Pros
salary, holidays, work/life balance
Cons
job security
Sanctions Compliance Director (Current Employee) –  Brentford, London23 April 2018
Challenging, but rewarding environment. Great networks worldwide with ethics and compliance high up the agenda. Business is in place for the patient, ensuring the medicines are readily available to all who require it.
Pros
Working environment
Cons
Not a 9-5 role
Simulating and supportive
Medicinal Chemist (Former Employee) –  London20 April 2018
It's a good company to work for. They're fair and very supportive of all members of staff. The flexible hours in the company is also great for life management.
Pros
Flexi hours
Good good
Assistant Capital Analyst (Former Employee) –  London16 April 2018
Good place to work great people and good ethics. I enjoyed my time there. however, Hierarchal structure was too bootle necked and you had a lot of people with duplicated tasks
good
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire3 April 2018
on thr refurbishment, the work was generally well organised. the odd times we waited for materials. some of the management team could have/needed man management lessons
Pros
free car park
Cons
expensive temporary accomodation locally/nearby
Good Opportunities
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 April 2018
Great place to work with inspirational people who deliver innovative medicines and excellent consumer healthcare products for many people across the globe
Productive Workplace
IT Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Brentford, Greater London2 April 2018
1. It is a process oriented organization having started a journey recently towards Agile ways of working
2. Workplace culture is non-intrusive, and productive
Pros
Development of skills
Cons
Over stringent processes slowing the things
Patient foccused,and Exceptional engineering capacity within Site.
Senior Designer (contract) (Current Employee) –  Montrose26 March 2018
Flexible working day allowed for early starts and late finishes if required, depending on workload. Open office environment allowed for good team participation in engineering events. The management were approachable and transparent and the workload plentiful but not overwhelming. Learned job specific functions and more experience with software such as SAP, Amtech, Hazardous areal classification to name a few. The team and keeping on top of your jobs was the most fulfilling part of my role.
Pros
Good team ethos, Relevant action meetings, transparancy
Cons
Longevity of the role

Want to know more about GlaxoSmithKline?

Ask a question
Best place to work
Senior Secretary/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenford, Greater London22 March 2018
This was one of the best companies I have ever worked for. They provided training and support in all roles. Their staff were their priority.

I learned so much working with them during the nearly 20 years I was there!
Pros
Highly successful company
Learning
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 March 2018
At GlaxoSmithKline continuous learning is encouraged. Employees are encouraged to take external courses to become accredited with a respected qualification.
Pros
Flexible working
Excellent company with fantastic products
Respiratory Hospital Specialist (Former Employee) –  SE Wales13 March 2018
A very challenging company to work for who hold you totally accountable for your business plan, both individually and within your matrix team. One of the key things I have learned with GSK is that you should never take anything for granted as our customers are constantly evolving, expecting more, wanting great customers service, better value from their interactions with us and lastly fantastic products with great clinical data. I believe that the culture in the short term is set by management and the environment you work in is so important to employees which in turn is reflected in the quality of our customer interactions. The hardest part of the job is developing trust and long lasting relationships with consultants and allowing this to leverage a commercial outcome for you, the HCP and the patient. The best and most enjoyable part of my job is making a difference to patients .
Pros
Competitive salary
Cons
Home/work balance
Production roles: good pay / bad shifts - GSK Ware
Production Technical Operator (Former Employee) –  Ware10 March 2018
The money is excellent considering that you only need numeracy and literacy to get in the door. Most production jobs start as temp roles, and if you happen to join when they have built a new production line you can get a full-time job quite quickly. Or you can stay as a temp and still get a bloody good wage (typically £11 - £15 per hour plus shift allowance, so say £17 per hour averaged over the shift pattern)

I worked there for 17 years, 7 of them as a temp. I think I enjoyed my years as a temp more than the last 10 years, but that might be because I was getting old. However, working shifts for 17 years has really affected my health.

My advice for anyone looking to join GSK in the production or warehouse area: volunteer for every additional role you can (e.g. safety assessor, COSHH assessor, work-place trainer) - this shows good attitude, and gives you an excuse to get off line to go to meetings. And then apply for the next shift coordinator job that comes along. Get to production coordinator and you will never have to work a shift that you don't like ever again.

I didn't do this, which is why I'm no longer working for GSK.

If you can follow straightforward procedures (very very important - you're working with medicine), keep a straight face while listening to pure-grade corporate bollocks on a regular basis, and you can turn up to work on time, the work is very easy and the money is very good.

As with any big corporation, there is an over-abundance of middle management, all of whom have to justify their existence by being busy. And if you progress past Operator,
  more... this will seriously impact your day on a regular basis. .

There is a certain type of person (of which I am one) who will not be able to just keep my questions internalised. and in 30 years of employment in various jobs, I have ALWAYS attracted the attention of this type of manager. And not in a good way. If you are chuckling while reading this THIS MEANS YOU. Seriously, If you have a better poker face than me you will be fine.

This review applies only to production / warehouse roles at GSK Ware; laboratory assistant roles are poorly paid and not protected by union recognition (unlike production and warehouse roles, where Unite is the recognised union). The GSK R&D site, which is across the road from the manufacturing site, is completely organisationally separate from the manufacturing site: I have no idea how they stack up as an employer.

Recommended employer, if you can COMPLY!

Good luck!
Pros
No experience required, very good money
Cons
Shift work
Work Experience
Finance/ PC Lounge (Former Employee) –  Stockley Park9 March 2018
At GSk it was fantastic experience I ever had I learned lots of things such as how companies works I was based in the finance department.
They all respect each other at gsk the environment is so perfect and staff are very well respected to each other. the hardest part of the job was fidning the countries with alphabetical orders and the most enjoyable part of the work-experience job was to have a coffe with either laura or karen.
Pros
yes £5 free lunch voucher
Cons
No Long hours
Dedicated to providing patients with key medicine across the world
GPS Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Worthing7 March 2018
The company aims to produce key medicine that helps people all over the world recover from a multitude of infections. It is a good place to work but advancements in career are limited more recently due to a reduction in heads.
Pros
Free healthcare, good bonus, good pension schemes, share save schemes
Cons
Tough place to work with publically known closures of certain areas
Fabulous place to work
Team Leader Telecommunications Dept (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire7 March 2018
I started work with the company as a part time telephonist and was promoted over time to full time Telephone room supervisor. I loved the fact that every day was different and varied. From answering switchboard to being part of facilities management and arranging office moves.
Pros
Brilliant people and surroundings
Cons
Fun workplace - opportunities to learn
Management Accounting Analyst (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 March 2018
great company and worklife balance good management , nice enciroment , stict deadlines and profeesionalism is required .
Very good work culture
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 February 2018
Company has a good work/life balance. Delivery of objectives are team driven. Brainstorming, "thinking out side the box" encouraged and built upon.
Most enjoyable part of the day? All day you get to know and meet friendly faces from all areas willing to support you in whatever role they may be in. Guaranteed you will touch base with someone you need to reach out to in future.
Pros
Ability to grow and try new ideas without prejudice
Cons
Occasionally deadlines could be tight and adhoc meetings in other time zones
Fun place to work
Finance Business Partner (Current Employee) –  London10 February 2018
Contribute to project management,
Challenging but rewarding with opportunities to grow and develop personally and professionally. The potential of relocating is appealing within limits.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Working lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GlaxoSmithKline. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2