GLASGOW CITY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

It an ok company to work for
Clerical Administrator (Current Employee) –  Glasgow29 March 2019
Although GCC is a secure company overall you're not valued as an individual. It seems everyone is stretched in their daily duties and internal valuations should be addressed more to the employees before major working changes are introduced, then found not to be compliable across the board.
Pros
Good pension dividends
Cons
Not enough consultation with workers when new changes are to be implemented
Bad management
Janitor/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Glasgow18 March 2019
Very poorly managed, too much "who you know" rather than "what you know" atmosphere. Lack of communication from management and you have to figure most things out for yourself.
Excellent Employer
Labourer/Driver (Former Employee) –  Glasgow3 March 2019
Busy days with lots of duties and various roles.
Paid holidays and sick leave .
Childcare vouchers .
Various opportunities and wide range of job roles.
Lots of training and courses available.
Employee Assistance package.
Work life balance packages available.
good place to learn new recipes,and meet new staff members
Cook (Former Employee) –  Glasgow20 February 2019
would start by looking at the task sheet that had to be excuted that day ,and prep some food items for the nxt day,i would also do stock taking and order my delivers for that week
Pros
good working enviroment
Cons
making sure everybody, meeting there targets
job satisfaction
HOUSING ALARM OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Glasgow11 February 2019
No day was the same, dealing with elderly customers and spending time with them. Visiting tenants who contacted you through the alarm system, Dealing with their needs and making sure that they are in a safe and comfortable environment. I learned that you had to have patience and was a good at listening, as some on the customers never saw anyone from one day to the next, Management were very hands on and gave you a lot of support. Everyone looked at everyone else at work and you always did a handover at the end of the shift. Hardest part was when you tried to contact someone over the alarm system as there had been no movement, and sometimes we had to force entry to find they had died in their sleep. The most enjoyable part was seeing their faces light up when you called and were able to spend time with them.
Pros
work satisfaction
Cons
Not being able to expand to other parts of the city.
productive fun and challenging work place
Support for Learning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow10 February 2019
An amazing place to work. I constantly learn new things on an a daily basis and feel rewarded helping other who have difficulty carrying out their tasks.
Pros
Cons
n/a
Rewarding job
Home Carer (Current Employee) –  Glasgow31 January 2019
I work 7on/7 off as a Homecarer. I started almost 4 years ago when it was Cordia. GCC have since taken back the reigns at the end of Sept last year, it’s still a slow progress but I’m sure it will be for the best (I hope) the service users vary in age and needs requirements but all are lovely and enjoy a wee natter, although unfortunately we only have a 20 minute time slot for most which isn’t a lot of time to fit in all chores (ie-personal care, dressing, skin care, meal prep, meds etc) there are some service users who receive a 45-60min call but not many are blessed with those time slots. We do our best to keep to those time scales and chat while we do our chores. I love spending time with my service users, you get the privilege of meeting all walks of life. I love hearing their stories of “back in the day” I find them very fascinating and interesting.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Long hours/low pay
Good Experience
Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow29 January 2019
This is a good place to work with some great people across the departments but particularly in the Corporate Procurement Unit. Always opportunities to learn on the job and get to grip with complex, high value and high profile tenders and contracts.

Flexibility in work is good with full flexi-time in operation and the chance to apply for compressed hours. Salary and benefits in line with counterpart organisations and higher than other public sector entities.

Issues are as you might expect with limited budgets for training, outdated IT and procurement not being viewed as a strategic part of the organisation. That said, it’s a great place to get a handle on the public sector and work somewhere that looks great on your CV.
Pros
Flexi-time; 35 hr full time contract; good pension and benefits
Cons
Poor IT; tricky client teams and end users; admin, admin, admin
great carreer prospects
Environmental consultant (Current Employee) –  kings park29 October 2018
i enjoyed ny time at kings park depot so much so me and a couple of squads who where on a 6 month contract all got an extension although jobs came up everyone was succesful except from myself even though i was the only one getting 2 buses to work every morning. i am kean to get back into glasgow city council
Pros
get to meet people on a daily basis
Cons
not enough positions for people coming from jobs and business glasgow
day to day teaching of primary children.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow2 October 2018
Every day there are different challenges not only with children's behaviour but also with parents who can be aggressive, senior leadership team concerning communication..
Pros
holidays.
Cons
although it is meant to be a approx 37 hour day, you could double this easily with other work expected.
Data scientist(internship/MSc project) (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow22 September 2018
I was there for my internship only so I couldn't stay for too long. It is a great place to work if given the opportunity. Not well-diversified environment to work
Pros
Flexible work pattern
Cons
Good place to work, very much enjoyed the job.
Charge hand driver (Former Employee) –  Glasgow Charles Street16 September 2018
Glasgow City Council is a very good company to work with for. I am on a six month contract. Also I'm a charge hand, driver for Glasgow City Council although paid by jobs and business Glasgow. My squad of 3 do the assisted gardening services all over the West end. Working hours are good. Start at 8 Finnish for 3.30pm
Cons
Hours were 8am till 3.30pm
Long-term uncertainty
Clerical Officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow6 September 2018
Towards the end of my tenure, there was a lot of uncertainty about whether I would be retained as an agency worker. I was then told, not through my management at Glasgow City Council, but through my employment agency that my services were no longer required at ONE days notice!
Pros
Lots of overtime.
Cons
Lack of communication from management
Ok employer
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow5 September 2018
Staff are under valued by management and no significant wage increase for several years. Some jobs are underpaid for what is expected.
Very little prospects of promotion.
Job security and pension are real attributes.
Pros
Pension
abilty to help others and discover your skills and talents
Primary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow5 September 2018
Job security, career advancement opportunities, CPD opportunities, pension and holiday benefits. opportunities to move into slightly different job roles.
Good company
Chemistry Teacher (Former Employee) –  Glasgow23 August 2018
Good council to work for within the UK. Schools are typically average performing but good students throughout. Staff are always very supportive of each other.
Fun experience
Public Host (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 August 2018
I would get ready and changed into whatever costume I was given to wear and would create a character for myself to entertain the children, whether that was taking a picture with them or asking them how their day has been so far. I learnt that I have a lot of time and patience for small children and like to make them laugh and help them have a good experience overall. The hardest part was probably having to carry a backpack on our backs for an amount of time as they could sometimes be heavy. The most enjoyable part as I mentioned before was definitely putting a smile of children's faces.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Semi-Long hours
A friendly work place
Road Asset Management Plan Officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow16 July 2018
I have enjoyed the three month internship I spent at the Road Asset Team. It is a friendly and attractive work environment. I learned a lot from this assignment. I was also given the autonomy to work by my own.
productive and fun workplace and easy going co workers
Street Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Glasgow12 July 2018
i worked here as part of a team and carried out numerous tasks and made sure we done all the tasks that wasa giving to us by our supervisor and go along well working part of a team
Secure job
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Glasgow5 July 2018
Secure job but not a good environment nor managed well, no incentives apart from the security of a permanent job. No prospects or progression opportunities.