Glasgow Caledonian University Employee Reviews

Fun and Productive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow10 October 2018
• Maintain records of contacts, profiles, accounts and progress.
• Use of dedicated system software to input information received from customer encounter.
• Deliver prepared talks, reading from scripts that describe the institution and its services, in order to persuade potential students to apply to the institution.
• Explain the prices, courses taught and other activities within the institution and answer questions from customers.
• Telephone or write emails to respond to correspondence from customers and potential clients.
Research Assistant (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Glasgow Caledonian University Glasgow11 July 2018
• Responsible for carrying out experiments related to the internship laboratory project
• Working on laboratory skills including cell culture, QRTPCR, immunocy to chemistry, Western blotting and microscope techniques, cell-based assays
Great staff culture
Events Intern (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT27 May 2015
The people who work here create a wonderful atmosphere and are dedicated to making life better for students. The management are not as dedicated unfortunately, but overall it's a good place to work, especially if you're a student at the university, as benefits like flexitime are available in some job roles, etc.

Even though my job was extremely challenging within the timeframe given, I had a truly great time and learned a lot about event planning/organising and target marketing. I developed my social media skills further in this role and gained experience in budget management.
Pros
Flexitime
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Glasgow4 February 2018
Staff were very friendly. Work-life balance was very flexible. A very happy place to work. Management was always open to new ideas. Every day in the lab at GCU was different and this was good because you learned new things on a daily basis.
Enjoyed my time working there
Storeman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow14 June 2018
Sorry to be leaving after 28years service held a various of different roles & never faulted on any of them , Very hard working & can be left to my own devices
Cons
35 hr week
Amazing
Post Doc (Former Employee) –  Glasgow29 May 2018
Working here is amazing. The staff and colleagues are very friendly and you very enough support to perform your research.
The environment is comfortable and you feel in home even beeing foreign.
Enriching working environment
Sessional Seminar Tutor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow3 April 2018
Being a tutor can be challenging, yet very rewarding at times. As everyone is different, there is an essences of flexibility in how you translate your teaching style across to your students.
Pros
Intellectually engaging / Good pay / Rewarding to help others learn and grow
Cons
Always things to do and not enough time.
fun and positive place to work
Researcher on (CAAM) project (Current Employee) –  Glasgow9 January 2018
Great place to work which is flexible and pays well. A very diverse client base to deal with where there are various departments to work in. The university is world renowned.
Productive workplace and friendly staff.
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 November 2017
worked here whilst finishing my degree at GCU. They were really flexible with hours, allowing me to fit in work with my studies. A very fun and productive workplace.
Very good woking envirnoment
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow22 October 2017
Amazing workplace culture, offering living wage and with very good communication amognst departments. Gained a lot of experience on office organisation.
Supportive with good skill development
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT6 July 2015
An excellent and friendly work environment that provided on the job training and gave me valuable paid experiences which allowed me to develop many transferable skills. Indeed through my 3 years working as a student mentor I have become a very confident and competent communicator as my work within this role often required me to coach and encourage students to choose a career path and break down the stereotypical barriers they hold towards further education. This was achieved through a variety of workshops with students which involved a mixture of presentations, group work and one to one mentoring.
Pros
Meeting and interacting with a wide range of people
Cons
Not enough hours
An instition with a positive outlook.
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT18 November 2013
My time at GCU has allowed me to gain a broad based knowledge of Marketing. The Business School Marketing team is small so the team undertake a variety of projects simultaneously which discourages stagnation and stimulates my organisational skills.

My duties include:
-Writing and producing copy for prospectus, web and other university literature.
-Liaising with external suppliers to create marketing merchandise.
-Assisitng with the co-ordination of marketing events.
-Providing academics with ad-hoc marketing services.

The management team have been honest, supportive and willing to give/recieve feedback.
The hardest part of working within such an institution has been gaining understanding of an extensive and varied syllabus.
the most enjoyable part of the job for me is the job satisfaction when our marketing matierials go to print and we can take pride in our work.
Fun and Rewarding Place of Employment
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow City Centre16 May 2016
Typically I would deal with legal cases from employment disputes to tenancy issues. This would involve liaising with and managing client relationships, and negotiating with opposition solicitors. I also speak to pupils and schools interested in studying law, delivering tailored 'street law' sessions as a result. I work with a team I am responsible for and answer to the Director of the Clinic and the Management Board as a whole, of which I am also a member. The hardest part of this is negotiating and often debating with opposing counsel, but being able to help clients is undoubtedly rewarding.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Lack of Wages
Helping International Students on arrival for study
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT31 January 2014
20th of October 2012 it was a great opportunity to work as an ambassador of the university of which we are meant to receive international student you arrived at first time to study in the United Kingdom, the management of the university provide us with communication system which help every team member to reach each other and assist in any difficulty. Some of the hardest parts of the job were language barriers like students from China and Hungary. We manage to assist the new students of which they all get integrated in to the school system.
Good
Domestic Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Glasgow21 August 2017
Good work place loads of friendly staff and good working environment enjoy the atmosphere around campus and enjoy each day in work. The buildings are nice and the campus is lovely .
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow1 October 2017
Great for gaining experience as it allows you t work different age groups which develops skills in terms of being able to adjust depending on the audience you are faced with.
Relaxed workplace.
Registration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT10 January 2015
A typical evening shift involved taking a head count of student in the library every half hour for two hours.

Learned to work independently.

Management delegated duties to us through email and meetings.

My co-workers were pleasant to work with.

Due to late work hours it was difficult in getting home after a shift.

Enjoyed being able to help out my fellow students.
Productive and Fun
Student Mentor (Current Employee) –  Glasgow11 December 2012
Working for Glasgow Caledonian University, in the 'Caledonian Club' is very challenging and rewarding.

I have worked on various projects, which include working with pre-school, primary and secondary school children. These project entailed various aspects of University, including; Management, Technology, Science, Engineering, Art, etc.
Ambiente di lavoro internazionale e stimolante.
Ricercatore (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT18 September 2013
Nonostante sia stata la mia prima esperienza lavorativa, i quattro mesi alla GCU hanno rappresentato un eccezionale terreno di prova non solo delle mie conoscenze linguistico-tecniche ma anche delle mie capacità organizzative e di time management. La dinamicità dell'ambiente di lavoro e la sua internazionalità mi hanno inoltre permesso di interfacciarmi con ricercatori provenienti da altre parti del mondo portandomi a conoscere culture anche molto distanti dalla mia.
condusive place to work
Alumni member (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT13 September 2013
very busy, learning more about new area of the profession everyday,
wonderful and helpful supervisor. Carrying analysis on food sample and writting out the reports as required by the clients.
Pros
support on future career
Cons
break could probably be spend in the laboratory