Gladstones Solicitors

Gladstones Solicitors Employee Reviews

On the day of my interview I travelled to stoke. I had to call the office as I didn’t know where to park. And they had forgotten about my interview which had been scheduled. So I had to have my interview over the phone in a car park! [RED FLAG] After my ‘interview’ I had to then chase for an update and eventually I was offered a position, and I accepted. There is a ‘car park’ facility but essentially it is just a empty space near the office. You only get a space if you are on the rota. The hours are long 8am-6pm, and you only get 30 minutes break. You will never see the CEO if you are based on the Stoke office. The management relies heavily upon head of department, HR manager, and the practise manager. The head of department is always so busy, she is hard to get hold of. The HR manager acts as though she is sympathies towards you but really she is just nosy and wants to know personal matters. So she can then use these matters against you, if you respond back with a ‘no’ and stand up for yourself. The HR manager is very controlling, hates if you have a strong head on your shoulders. She always uses the term ‘business needs’ to worm her way out of situations she has created, and lies and is very manipulative. A lot of members of staff did run in to her- frequently! The practise manager however, is lovely, but limited to what she can do and delegates matters to the Head or HR manager. There are no loyalties in this place other than within senior management chain. The business is very money orientated. They do not sympathise with any mental health illness’ you may - more...
Pros
Non.
Cons
Horrible senior management, HR manager will use bullying tactics for you to become a ‘yes person’, no incentives
Terrible place to work. It is more like a call center than a law firm. If you want to work in a legal setting and gain legal experience then this place is definitely not for you. Senior management is cutthroat. They will do whatever they can to cover their backs and shift blame elsewhere, usually on employees further down the chain. They also have their favorites so some people can get away with considerably more than others. Everything at the firm is reactive rather than proactive so you will find constant changes as to how you're expected to work. Clients will not be made aware of these changes by management so there is always confusion leading to a lack of trust from clients. HR's sole purpose is to keep everyone in line. It is a manipulative mouthpiece for senior management. Some really terrible experiences with a number of employees. The CEO is never around so there is no leadership from the top. You will be lucky to see him once a year. The Practice Manager, who is essentially a personal assistant, is limited in what she can do. The Head of Litigation is a very difficult person to deal with. She is the head of a department overseeing about 20 people (split into different teams) but is impossible to speak to. Places no value on any staff and is more concerned about how many phone calls are answered rather than employee welfare or client issues. The client liaison will take any positive feedback from clients and take the credit and shift negative feedback onto employees down the chain. Again a very arrogant and difficult person to communicate with.  - more...
Pros
Cons
Stupid hours, cutthroat management, minimum salary, do not value staff
The firm has little money and so everything is on a very tight budget. There are many things the don't work and many things are old and worn (including the office and the decor). There is very little support in place for any of the solicitors to work effectively. This makes the work place very "basic". It also effects morale. However, the people are very nice.