Giraffe World Kitchen

Giraffe World Kitchen Management reviews

United Kingdom86 reviews
fun work place
Good place to work. Friendly management. Busy restaurant in city centre. I have learned how to prepare food from different parts of world. Good staff
Stay away!
Stay away from this company. I've never in my life experienced such a horrible company to work for, never got any training and then when you would mess up the management would bully you. They don't care. The management are bullies, one particular guy Supervisor was the biggest bully I've ever met in my life. I had money stolen from the staff room, they never did anything AT ALL and laughed it off. Shouting at you, swearing, and the management did nothing. The day I left this company was the best day, away from these bullies and didn't feel no stress from constantly being targeted .
Good company to work
Had great experience working with Giraffe. Good wages, experienced management, which is always there to help. Just sad that they closed some restaurants.
good place to work
Good team work , on the floor , kitchen and management as well.
But , too manny people from the same nationality makes you feel like holidays!, that's mean that ere times that i could heard only polish! sorry guys! :)
Very dead
It is a boring place to work in, honestly no fun in there at all and the management team is terrible. Food is ok, but everything else is horrible, never wanted to come into work, always made me moody.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Boring
Supportive and Fun Work Environment
The team and management were so supportive with me as I was still a Full-Time student and really made working there a fun and productive work environment. Of course, some shifts can get busy and there would not be enough people on, however we all would help each other get through the shift. Loved working here and there was great work incentives to win which made shifts more fun and competitive.
Pros
Staff Meals, Paid incentives, pay benefits during busy periods
Cons
hours are not stable for full-time positions
Not what used to be
When I started it was all about the guest, the food being fresh & making sure the staff where trained to be the best. Now it is about the profit, so the food is not fresh, the guest gets less for there money & there is no time to train new starters. I was expected to deliver better numbers then the previous year with half the amount of staff so i ended up working over 55 hours each week when I was contracted for 48. When I did have a day off I would still be contacted by my area manager. No consideration for when I had child care issues.
Pros
People, staff food, pay
Cons
Hours, upper management
fun workplace
very busy the management is lovely and friendly workplace culture everyone is hardworking and relaxed as well the most enjoyable part of the job is to always se customer smile when the leave the restaurant.
Pros
free drink
Cons
always busy
When sold to tesco the company ethos was lost
Giraffe was a fantastic place to work, motivational and fun when the original owners were running the company. When sold to Tesco the food went from fresh to microwave and the ethos fell apart. My career progression was never clear. Management were okay but didn't listen to AMs. Company is more focused on controlling spends by cutting rather than pushing sales. Everyone is on the National living wage and the rest of the salary is made up through Tronc/Service charge
Pros
managers paid by the hour
Cons
work life balance, communication
fun workplace
you get all the training you need, the food very different but amazing, the hours are very long, management was always positive when i was there, the hardest part of my job was the long hours
Pros
free lunch
Not what it used to be
Stay away the company has gone from being one of the best places to work to the worst, hours cut left right and Center then expect the staff left to do triple the work .... 15 table sections, poor tips and head office are a joke there is no surpport what’s so ever from any one
Cons
Long hours poor wages bad management
Be aware!!!! Stay away!!!
Giraffe in Lakeside is such a joke. The management don't really know what is going on in this place. They're short of staff and without proper trening they will try to give you as much work as you can handle on your shoulders- wrong. They laugh and makes a big deal every time you make a mistake. They talk behind everyone's back and stealing tips one from another- crazy. There is more things to say about them, but I won't waste my time- just stay away from this place if you don't want to be well disappointed.
Pros
No tips
Cons
Fun place to work. But you have no social time.
Management expect you to plan social life ( including education ) around work. Food on breaks is not provided by the company as advertised.

Must be able to work in fast pace environment and need to be able to pick up the work in less then a week if not you will moaned at.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Short silly hours. Long breaks with no food
Changed a lot since I left!
The company has changed hands since I have left, as it was owned by Tesco. Friendly, busy working environment. The service charged worked odd how it would be used to top up management pay, but this probably doesn't happen anymore.
Fun, good pay but a sad ending...
A typical day at work was greeting customers, serving tables and assisting with the bar. I learnt many different skills, including organisation, communication and customer service. Management was good, however, there were no permanent managers (apart from one). The hardest part of the job was having so many tabs open in your brain - getting home and going to sleep and still thinking about work... It was also very stressful at times.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the team (bubbly front of house and hilarious kitchen staff) and the regular smiley customers.

Sadly, the restaurant I worked at closed down. I was given redundancy pay, however, we were not told in advance (I got a text on the day they actually shut the restaurant telling me)

Overall, shifts went fast and the team was fun!
Pros
Free food on shift, good team, good pay
Cons
late nights, stressful days
Fun, productive and love the challenges
First thing in the morning, i meet very lovely customers who have come for the breakfast menu. its not too busy in the morning, however it does start to pick up by midday. Things run very smoothly during the day, even when challenges come my way, there is always a way to fix it. The management are very helpful, they give full support on day to day tasks, making sure i am happy through out my shifts.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with miscellaneous mistakes, where there is no direct fault and it could have not been avoided for example, kitchen oven breaking down or not enough seating for new customers. it can make the service provided look poor overall, however i always make sure the customers are aware of the situation, give my apologies and do my best to help minimize the problem.
Pros
Meet great people and free lunches
It's not a productive place to work.
Working here is very depressing . Lazy management that wants waiteress/waiter to do their management work while they go for smoke and hardly do their jobs.While they and head chef "DO"racially discriminate their workers.On many occasions people will start to work and quit before the month is up. Tip are being stolen between workers.
Pros
Terrible
A fantastic work place
I have been working in Giraffe, Lakeside for 4 months and it has been a very good experience.

The management is absolutely brilliant and there are many opportunities to progress. They are all very friendly and have helped me with many work and non work related issues that I may of had.

The co-workers were the best team I have worked with to date. Everyone is very in sync and there is a veery strong support bond that is formed when you are a part of the team.
Great place to work. Min Wage. Service charge does top up your hourly rate by around +£1.50 an hour, but cash tips suffer.
Typical day is quite busy, sporadic, never bored, always something to do. Was a small restaurant so filled up quickly.
Learned time management skills.
Management was amazing while I was there, the best manager I've ever had.

Co workers were great and fun to work with.

Hardest part of the job is time management and constant engagement with customers.

Most enjoyable part: my colleagues, the GM who has now moved on, and the reasonable money.
Pros
Staff food and pay is okay.
Cons
Very hectic and disorganised at times. Doing all those sauces. Tesco upper management out of touch.
fun,good team
learn alot new style of food from around the world..team members friendly..fun time..flexible working hours..good management..friendly customers always happy
not bad for job
every thing is ok nothing is hard nothing is easy. every one is hard working in that company. but not good for future.fun work place with supportive management. sometimes we need to do job for more than
16 hours.