Gear4Music Employee Reviews in York

Terrible company
Warehouse Operative/Picker (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire9 December 2019
I have never worked for such a badly run company.
The managers don’t know what they’re doing, the department doesn’t have any direction and if you complain to Hr, they are hardly ever there and when they are, they won’t help you.
The pay is awful and benefits are too.
It is a shame.
Please please avoid working here!
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire5 December 2019
Reiterating what most people have written here, the place is a joke.
They do not look after staff one bit. Senior managers are just bothered about their financial gain yet expect 110% from everyone who works there.
The management are on a power trip and if your face don’t fit - your out. The stress of working here is awful. There are plenty of companies with really good reputations so really - don’t bother! AVOID!
Was what it was
Returns Operative (Former Employee) –  York26 November 2019
Long drive for me but otherwise decent. Management were good. Nothing bad to say about em. Just too far to drive (3 hrs a day return journey). Good luck to em.
Shambles
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  York25 November 2019
Absolute joke of a place to work,
Corrupt management, zero support,
Terrible wages, power drunk line managers,
If your face doesn’t fit you will be dismissed regardless of your ability and knowledge. AVOID!!!
Please Avoid
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  York21 September 2019
I am sad to have to write this, considering I started working for this company with high aspirations and a willingness to make a difference with long career prospects in mind. Unfortunately, this hasn’t been the case for myself, or in fact anyone starting a job here, as many talented staff members have come and gone during my employment.

The pay is not even close to being reflective of the workload or expected effort, with no hope of improvement if not negotiated at interview stage, a position stated plainly to me in a review meeting on the subject.

There is little to no respect for staff from the majority of management who are either inept, or disinterested without exception, as they are woefully unqualified for their positions.

There is virtually no hope of upward progression, regardless of how well you perform.

The entire company functions based on a model which has not been altered since its inception, despite its exponential growth. Any attempts to vocalise concerns, change the status quo, and point out serious issues are shot down, ignored, and more often than not, dismissed as a symptom of deliberate disobedience with the intent to cause trouble, regardless of consensus or merit.

Working in the customer service department consists of long hours, stressful but monotonous tasks, limited rewards, and the prospect of rarely being allowed time off unless you are fortunate enough to be a personal favourite of those in charge.

The one positive aspect is the wonderful colleagues who share a love of music and work hard to keep positive in such a horrible environment.
  more...

Please don’t waste your time or your lives on getting a job here, it will lead inevitably to boredom, distress, and eventual poverty.
Great team & great boost for my ppc career
PPC Executive (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire11 September 2019
The best thing for me was that I have learnt a lot with their ppc training. Management put a lot of focus on development, so there is always something new to work on.
Because of the scale of the accounts, you get to try all the new beta features and its quite easy to get involved in new projects if you want more responsibilities, which is always good.
The people are fab and there is always a tonne of chocolate in the office to keep you going
Lovely place
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  York4 August 2019
Incredibly friendly. Management is very understanding and flexible with individual needs and couldn’t be happier working for such a great, fast moving and rapidly growing company,
Not well run
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire12 June 2019
The way the staff are treat is quite easily the worst I've ever experienced in my working life. Spoken down to like children by managers is a normal occurrence in the warehouse. They don't care about other commitments in your life or if you have a young family aslong as you put work first, if you don't you often get called in for a 'stern word' which is basically a threat against your job. They will promise you that you can progress in the company and are very much valued but that couldn't be further from the truth. If you're not 'in' with certain managers (ie friends outside of work, live close by, family friend or just suck up alot) then you won't get nowhere in the company, this isn't just by my personal experience but 1 I witnessed while there aswell. The fact there is a man who has been there for 10+ years, knows the ins and outs of near enough everything, helps everyone all day INCLUDING managers on how to do their jobs they have been assigned and still manages to do his own. Yet is overlooked at every turn for a promotion even though he should be atleast a team leader if not manager by now. All because he isn't a 'yes' man and this isn't the only case (just the worst in my opinion) there are several good workers who have left this company over the past year and half to 2 years for the very same reason, including myself, for not being appreciated and spoken down to like something they've just stepped in! Unless things change alot more will leave like we have. The lads in the warehouse are all great but management really bring the mood down and ruin moral with the moody  more... faces, snarky comments and as mentioned before the way they talk to staff is appalling. But they genuinely do not care because they can just get another monkey to come in and do your job. The pay isn't all that great either and there are better paid warehouse jobs out there too. Me and a few other lads have actually left for part time jobs just to get out of there it is that bad. I think the CEO really needs to step in and look at these situations by speaking to the lads in the warehouse and not just the managers......  less
Pros
Lads in the warehouse
Cons
Management's attitude and how they speak to you, no progression unless you suck up or are managers friends, pay isn't great, working conditions - can't have a laugh at work without been told to 'get on with it'
You will get nowhere working at Gear4music
Web Content Writer (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire3 June 2019
Unfortunately, the main issues stem from a severe lack of people skills from upper management. The bosses do not understand how to retain people who are genuinely talented at their jobs and make a large impact on the business. They'd much rather carry on paying you minimum wage while also piling up your workload without any added benefits. It's also disheartening to see that the Manchester office gets more benefits than the York office, especially considering York is the head office. It would be nice to see everyone being treated the same considering we all work for the same company... In all seriousness, I cannot recommend this company to anyone. They will happily promote you to a new role, then wonder why you're not happy with your incremental pay rise.
Pros
Staff discount, good coffee
Fun place to work and friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire28 April 2019
Whilst working with gear4music I made many of new friends. I started of shy and they soon gained my trust through helping me out with everything. They showed me the basics around the shop and once they trusted me fully they started offering me bigger jobs to do. Overall it was good fun working with the team.
Pros
Friendly Staff, Enough free time
Not worth it
Customer Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  York City Centre, North Yorkshire14 February 2019
Very similar to another review on here, I wish I could write an excellent review about Gear4music, but I just can't.

The coworkers are absolutely brilliant & the environment is extremely laid back but the management is an absolute shambles. All they seem to care about is the stats & quantity over quality.
Pros
Laid back environment
Cons
Having to label your lunch each day with your name, like you're at school!
Lack of man management.
CLEANER (part-time) (Former Employee) –  York10 January 2019
Having worked at both sites, I can honestly say I've never worked with a nicer bunch of people,both employees and management alike a wonderful cross section of people.
Unfortunately due to personal circumstances I found myself having to travel 50 mins both ways for a 3 hour per day contract.
I was knocked back when I asked for more hours to make the journey worth my while despite them being short staffed in my department, eventually I had to leave because of the expense of travelling for so few hours and found another job.
Having tried to explain my situation to my manager l found not one sympathetic bone in his body, what rankled more was the fact they advertised for a full time cleaner as soon as I left.( which I would have been more than happy to do if they had offered me it when I said I wanted more hours.
It is a shame the only person I didn't get along with out of 150 plus people is my immediate boss he has nil management skills and it is no surprise the job hasn't been filled.The job is still being advertised today 2 months later.I have applied for it but have heard nothing back and I assume they are continuing to use agency workers.Would recommend the job but not the boss,he is ignorant obnoxious and is full of his own self importance.
Pros
Great People
Cons
One exception.
Worked there just b4 Christmas, Enjoyed it 😀
Packer (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire10 January 2019
Started at the busy period but still u never felt pressured, was always a case of do what u can do, try Ur best, worry about the target's later.......Any problems just ask a team member, all very helpful and friendly....The warehouse management, from the very top down were Brilliant, more then happy 2 help u out, even though they were the one's who looked pressured and rushed..... Plenty of break's, TV, free tea and coffee, what more do u want. 👍
Pros
Break's and the staff
Cons
Parkings a bit tight during peak periods.
Simply not worth your time and efforts.
Customer Service & Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  York, UK12 December 2018
I wish that I was able to write a wonderful review of my time working for Gear4Music, but unfortunately I can only add to the sheer disappointment and discovery of lack of professionalism described in all but one of the other reviews.
The job itself is fine and the coworkers are lovely but the managements lack of professionalism and abuse of power and control meant that I could no longer see myself working at Gear4Music. This place is all stats and quantity over quality. Here you are nothing but a monkey on a rock.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management
An unpleasant work environment
Operative (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire9 December 2018
I really can't recommend this place to anyone, everything from the management to the lack of appreciation is just abysmal.
The managers make the job and any personal problems that may occur in your life extremely difficult, if you have a young family or any other responsibilities in your life i would avoid this job at all costs.
Overtime is practically forced onto you, if you say no or try to negotiate this you will likely be threatened with your job or called into the office for a bullyish word.
The environment is also incredibly dusty, spending longs hours in the warehouse possibly has a pretty negative effect on your health.
The only pro to the job is the other guys that work here, most of the workers are friendly and always willing to help the newer guys out.
Pros
Colleague's.
Cons
No regard to you as a person, bad management.
A job that'll make you yearn for the sweet release of death
Packer (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire2 December 2018
The guys you're working with are great, but the management are clueless. There's one who has a serious case of small-man syndrome, the rest just don't care about what you have going on in life and of course they don't because they know that they can just get another monkey to do your job for you.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Bad hours, bad management, you've really hit rock bottom if you work here
Low pay, no rewards, dreadful management no hopes of improvement
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  York2 December 2018
I left this company and a lot of friends behind because I just felt like it was going no where. The managers are the worst. They expect the earth and don’t even allow you time off because they didn’t hire enough people. The amount of people who leave this company is beyond a joke and they still haven’t attempted to change what they need to, to prevent this from happening!

I understand the working conditions in the warehouse are terrible and the same can be said about the offices. The management have no clue about the hard work that is put in and only look out for themselves. The wage is horrendous the work is hard and the hours long.

I only write this to warn other people to not join this company. It seems nice on the outside but it’s full of lies and is run terribly! It would be better to search elsewhere.
Pros
Staff (Shame they all leave)
Cons
Managers, pay, progression.
High demanding, but good and inspiring place to work
Administration Support Officer (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire30 November 2018
I am working for Gear4music for a couple of years now and saw it grow from a small Yorkshire retailer into a multi-million pounds business. The business culture changed but music is still in the heart of it. I like my job and my role and I learned a lot in the last years. Working in the warehouse or call centre is probably not too much different from other companies, but from my time in the call centre I valued the collogues who are enthusiastic about music, selling the first instrument to a customer or advising on the pros & cons of different equipment is still better than what you get in other call centres. There is also a great deal of understanding if you go on tour or have a gig on a day. Generally, if you work hard you will be rewarded if you are not pulling your weight you won't last long.
It is also exciting to work now with international colleagues in Germany and Sweden. Last but not least, legendary Christmas parties...
Pros
Good discounts on instruments, nice colleagues, opportunities to learn and develop, free tea & coffee
Cons
High demanding environment, ongoing changes that come when a business turns from start-up to million pound business, profit drive
Horrible
Picker (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire28 November 2018
I have been working for Gear4Music only 2 weeks. The Company is horrible.
Heat and safety don't mean nothing for the main managers.
also, their management is so horrible they are struggling all the time. Last week the company hired too many people or work because of Black Friday and Cyber money after that they just fired all the new stuff because they didn't need them anymore.

This job is not as good as a temporary position or permanent
Pros
Non
Cons
Management, Heath and safety, Supervisors, Managers
Avoid
Former employee (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire20 October 2018
This company does not value its employees.

Colleagues are great and it's fun to be working with like-minded musicians BUT the company piles on the pressure for minimum rewards. Loyalty and achievement are not rewarded so morale is low and staff turnover is high.

Managers not trained in management.
Pros
Brilliant colleagues
Cons
Employees not valued, bad management, poor wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gear4Music. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5