Gear4Music

Gear4Music Employee Reviews

United Kingdom32 reviews
Uncomfortable and unfair. Absolutely slogged my guts out for this company with little acknowledgement yet knew about it at the end when i had lost heart and knew i was under performing. Colleagues nice, good to work with. Snr management out for financial gain only. Everything is black and white in their eyes and if your face doesn't fit you have no chance in progressing your career. They should look at what is under their noses.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Everything else
Worked like a dog for them, was told that I was progressing really well by senior staff and then sacked out of the blue for “not working hard enough” and daring to go home at my finish time. Management a joke, all in it for themselves. Staff that are still there are overworked. Massive resource issues, expecting to do 4 people’s work in one role. The sell you the world, don’t fall for any of it, it’s lies.
Pros
Cons
The whole company.
I worked as a packer, for a short time thankfully. The management don’t have a clue how to speak to people, the work isn’t difficult but they make you feel stupid. Then there’s the pervy facilities manager, well that’s how he introduced himself, turns out he is just an I.T assistant who couldn’t even manage to get my printer working. A very strange place, if you don’t fit in then you won’t be there long
Pros
The doorway out
Cons
The doorway in.
The stand out feature of G4M has to be it's people. Having not been there a great length of time I've been made to feel extremely welcome and as one of the family.

G4M is a high growth, fast paced and dynamic place to work. While there is stiff competition for progression, a good number of those in "heads of" roles and up to director level started at the ground floor in entry level positions within our customer services/warehouse teams.

The company despite having 17 years of trading experience feels young and energetic - in other words, feels as though there is enormous potential to grow still, not from just a £££ perspective but as a company, culture and employee offering.

Entitlement won't get you anywhere, hard work on the other hand certainly will and I can attest to that!

Our senior leadership team have been decisive during an extremely challenging global crisis. This in turn has kept hundreds of people in a job with all of the stops pulled to ensure staff safety and financial support throughout.

Feeling extremely grateful and excited for the future!
Pros
Great people, meritocratic, fast paced.
Cons
Could encourage more staff comms & events (post COVID of course)
Don’t waste your time. The training is very basic and after 1 week they expect you to crack on with the job and moan when you start getting things wrong that you’ve not been trained on. Salary isn’t a salary it’s actually a hourly rate it’s okay but not living wage and they offer over time but they take forever to pay you (you have to chase them to correct the wage) I found it a very clique atmosphere, if the face doesn’t fit your out or they’ll treat you like rubbish until you leave.

I would say my advice for the company would be look into mental health training to support your staffs wellbeing, provide actual training and less managers, too many cooks and all that. Everyone that works higher up than the advisors and admin teams are all on power trips.

Wouldn’t recommend, there’s better call centre/office jobs around, would definitely look around first before considering this place!
Pros
Annual leave
Cons
Management, wage and no progression
Ok place to work. Colleagues great. Cheap musical instruments. I really don’t want to say anymore about this local firm as I think it will be wrong for me to do so.
The people who I worked with where very nice and friendly. If you needed help someone was always there to give you that help. There was opportunities to work in other areas of the warehouse as well.
It is a long day.
Work without complaining and it will be ok.

Workplace culture is a little tense.

The other agents are great.

Christmas is the most difficult time.
I have never worked for such a badly run company.
The managers don’t know what they’re doing, the department doesn’t have any direction and if you complain to Hr, they are hardly ever there and when they are, they won’t help you.

The pay is awful and benefits are too.

It is a shame.
Reiterating what most people have written here, the place is a joke.
They do not look after staff one bit. Senior managers are just bothered about their financial gain yet expect 110% from everyone who works there.

The management are on a power trip and if your face don’t fit - your out. The stress of working here is awful. There are plenty of companies with really good reputations so really - don’t bother! AVOID!
Long drive for me but otherwise decent. Management were good. Nothing bad to say about em. Just too far to drive (3 hrs a day return journey). Good luck to em.
Absolute joke of a place to work,
Corrupt management, zero support,

Terrible wages, power drunk line managers,

If your face doesn’t fit you will be dismissed regardless of your ability and knowledge. AVOID!!!
They refused to train me even tho I was told there was going to be 2 weeks of training. The management is terrible. One of the managers was extremely sexist and the rest were just awful. Don’t work here!
I am sad to have to write this, considering I started working for this company with high aspirations and a willingness to make a difference with long career prospects in mind. Unfortunately, this hasn’t been the case for myself, or in fact anyone starting a job here, as many talented staff members have come and gone during my employment.

The pay is not even close to being reflective of the workload or expected effort, with no hope of improvement if not negotiated at interview stage, a position stated plainly to me in a review meeting on the subject.

There is little to no respect for staff from the majority of management who are either inept, or disinterested without exception, as they are woefully unqualified for their positions.

There is virtually no hope of upward progression, regardless of how well you perform.

The entire company functions based on a model which has not been altered since its inception, despite its exponential growth. Any attempts to vocalise concerns, change the status quo, and point out serious issues are shot down, ignored, and more often than not, dismissed as a symptom of deliberate disobedience with the intent to cause trouble, regardless of consensus or merit.

Working in the customer service department consists of long hours, stressful but monotonous tasks, limited rewards, and the prospect of rarely being allowed time off unless you are fortunate enough to be a personal favourite of those in charge.

The one positive aspect is the wonderful colleagues who share a love of music and work hard to keep positive in such a horrible environment.
 - more...
The best thing for me was that I have learnt a lot with their ppc training. Management put a lot of focus on development, so there is always something new to work on.
Because of the scale of the accounts, you get to try all the new beta features and its quite easy to get involved in new projects if you want more responsibilities, which is always good.

The people are fab and there is always a tonne of chocolate in the office to keep you going
Many talented people who are underpaid and under-utilised in their roles. Senior management on the other hand make Trump's presidency look competent and well planned. There's no sense of direction, no motivation behind decision making. It's like watching someone trying to turn the wheel after the car heads off a bridge. Zero company culture despite the best efforts of some people (not in management positions). The whole office feels like the big brother house. You're constantly being watched and checked up on. Lot's of employee mental health issues due to the stress of the job and working environment, but absolutely no support offered. HR might as well not exist, as they only defer to the decisions of senior management who have no management or people skills.
Pros
Free parking, the people (not management)
Cons
Everything else
Incredibly friendly. Management is very understanding and flexible with individual needs and couldn’t be happier working for such a great, fast moving and rapidly growing company,
The way the staff are treat is quite easily the worst I've ever experienced in my working life. Spoken down to like children by managers is a normal occurrence in the warehouse. They don't care about other commitments in your life or if you have a young family aslong as you put work first, if you don't you often get called in for a 'stern word' which is basically a threat against your job. They will promise you that you can progress in the company and are very much valued but that couldn't be further from the truth. If you're not 'in' with certain managers (ie friends outside of work, live close by, family friend or just suck up alot) then you won't get nowhere in the company, this isn't just by my personal experience but 1 I witnessed while there aswell. The fact there is a man who has been there for 10+ years, knows the ins and outs of near enough everything, helps everyone all day INCLUDING managers on how to do their jobs they have been assigned and still manages to do his own. Yet is overlooked at every turn for a promotion even though he should be atleast a team leader if not manager by now. All because he isn't a 'yes' man and this isn't the only case (just the worst in my opinion) there are several good workers who have left this company over the past year and half to 2 years for the very same reason, including myself, for not being appreciated and spoken down to like something they've just stepped in! Unless things change alot more will leave like we have. The lads in the warehouse are all great but management really bring the mood down and ruin moral with the moody - more...
Pros
Lads in the warehouse
Cons
Management's attitude and how they speak to you, no progression unless you suck up or are managers friends, pay isn't great, working conditions - can't have a laugh at work without been told to 'get on with it'
Unfortunately, the main issues stem from a severe lack of people skills from upper management. The bosses do not understand how to retain people who are genuinely talented at their jobs and make a large impact on the business. They'd much rather carry on paying you minimum wage while also piling up your workload without any added benefits. It's also disheartening to see that the Manchester office gets more benefits than the York office, especially considering York is the head office. It would be nice to see everyone being treated the same considering we all work for the same company... In all seriousness, I cannot recommend this company to anyone. They will happily promote you to a new role, then wonder why you're not happy with your incremental pay rise.
Pros
Staff discount, good coffee
Whilst working with gear4music I made many of new friends. I started of shy and they soon gained my trust through helping me out with everything. They showed me the basics around the shop and once they trusted me fully they started offering me bigger jobs to do. Overall it was good fun working with the team.
Pros
Friendly Staff, Enough free time
Very similar to another review on here, I wish I could write an excellent review about Gear4music, but I just can't.

The coworkers are absolutely brilliant & the environment is extremely laid back but the management is an absolute shambles. All they seem to care about is the stats & quantity over quality.
Pros
Laid back environment
Cons
Having to label your lunch each day with your name, like you're at school!