GDS Group Employee Reviews

Great start but went downhill.
Delegate Acquisition Executive (Current Employee) –  Bristol10 November 2019
I have very mixed feelings about GDS, the floor and line managers are terrific. A really good atmosphere with nothing but nice things to say about the majority of people in the office.

Delegate Acquisition is an easy pitch but success is purely based on luck/harassment. A lot of the work is largely immoral and staff are encouraged to borderline harrass delegates in the attempt to get them on the phone. Unrealistic KPI's are pushed and under performance is publicised in order to put more pressure on staff.

Senior management is poor and widely inexperienced with zero focus on retaining staff or employee wellbeing. A clear lack of transparency within the business processes with profit being the only objective of the business. Quite poor facilities and IT systems but good location. No flexibility in working hours or option to work from home.
Terribly managed + negative work environment
Delegate Acquisition Executive (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol29 September 2019
I wouldn't recommend this company to anybody who wants to stay sane.

Not only is it terribly managed, but GDS treats their staff like they are just a number in the system. Don't let them fool you with the fancy job advertisement as this is merely a telesales role.

KPIs are incredibly important for any sales role, although this company is incredibly unrealistic with what they expect each person to achieve when all it really takes is LUCK (not talent!).

Unfortunately, those in charge don't have the qualities to manage teams - which all in all will ensure the downfall of the departments. Adding to this, the pod leaders make it a hostile environment to work in on a daily basis.

All in all, my time at GDS Group taught me that it is the most toxic company to work for in Bristol. Stay well clear!
(Little tip: Be sensitive about personal issues or it will only keep pushing people to quit!)
Best job ever!
Business Development Executive (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 July 2019
By far the best job I've ever had.
From day one I've received an incredible amount of support, understanding and care from the managers.
There's plenty of space to grow in the company and you're always being encouraged to perform to the best of your abilities. There is pressure, like at any job, but if your mindset is right then the pressure will only push you to do better and better.
The earning potential is enormous and if you have a clear path of how far you want to go and how fast you want there, you'll be incredibly successful because no achievement goes unnoticed.
Pros
High earnings, positive reinforcement, understanding, constant training
Best job so far
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol9 July 2019
The company is rapidly growing and for that reason anything is possible you can make your own opportunities.
If you are struggling support is readily available.
Solid network of clients in the market and the chance to meet clients at events.
Fun culture, lots of engagement with different teams.
Pros
Training
Smokescreen
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 June 2019
confused messages from senior management, questionable business plan, worst 8 weeks of my life, prospect ownership debates, would rather kill puppies 9-5 than work their again
Pros
decent basic
Cons
Lead gen was paper, then computer, then paper, then computer, prospecting rules lacking clarity, lack of honesty in sell, recruiter lied completely about sales process and lead gen (probably from not knowing)
Official response from GDS Group
24 June 2019

Dear Smokescreen

On behalf of the organisation, we are sorry you feel this way. As we parted ways due to your sudden un-communicated absence from work, it’s a shame to see a negative review. It's disappointing that we didn’t have the opportunity to discuss things with you one to one as we would normally bring to the surface any issues around underperformance and the support required thereafter to get on the right track (as we do for all employees).

As you know the entire senior team here at GDS is committed to a simple straightforward sales process.This was the core message of your training week and we feel not only is there is no dishonesty in this process, it is in fact the most transparent and straightforward way in which to communicate the value we deliver – both internally and externally.

From your training group we have 4 BDE's who are building great careers for themselves and getting the support from management each and everyday.

We do wish you genuinely good luck with you future endeavours, and lament that GDS wasn’t the right fit for you.

Tanya Thomas

Fast paced with some really talented people"
Business Development Executive (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol8 March 2019
-Healthy respect for employees
-Smart, dedicated people
-Good bonus schemes if you perform well
-Some good travel opportunities
-Most co-workers are friendly
-No real politics and most career advancement is based on merit
-Many senior managers have been there a long time
-Not flexible towards working hours
Official response from GDS Group
24 June 2019

Thank you for this balanced review. Hope you're enjoying new role. Tanya

opportunities for travel - fun place to work
Customer Success Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol11 October 2018
The purpose of the role was to provide sponsors with a seamless client journey from onboarding through to post-event reviews.

GDs provides a great opportunity to learn about disruptive technologies, how to communicate with C-level executives and sales training.
Pros
plenty of staff nights out and international travel
Cons
high staff turnover and ever changing processes
Great Internal opportunities for progression
Delegate Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol20 September 2018
I started with GDS in the delegate acquisition team and now have almost been here for 2 years. Managers and Directors at GDS Group have always encouraged me to progress to higher level roles within the business. Fantastic team support and overall great working environment.I don't currently have any constructive criticism to offer, and genuinely feel that "you get out what you put in". I feel that GDS is an environment where highly motivated self-starters are given the best opportunity to flourish, and am hopeful that I am at the start of a long and successful career!
Overall good place to work
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Bristol5 September 2018
- Friendly co-workers.
- Central location.
- Industry-leading products.
- Potential to make a lot of money.
- Quick career advancement.
- High stress, lots of politics.
Senior Sales Consultant
Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York10 August 2018
Great office environments with organic growth, good working hours and superb people with a wealth of expertise. Bonuses in recognition for exceeding job expectations. Performance reviews need to be more frequent. Although day to day guidance and support is given by leaders and the VP these conversations focus on immediate tasks not long-term goals and objectives.
Standard
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol18 July 2018
Salary not enough to keep high performers - unless you have been there 8 years plus etc

I had opportunity to move up the ladder but on the other hand GDS did want to improve salary etc

Salary is the main reason i am looking elsewhere.
Pros
good people
Cons
commission has now changed and given top performers a pay cut not increase
Great people, High Standards
Back Office (Current Employee) –  Bristol15 May 2018
I have worked for GDS for +8 years, it has provided me some amazing opportunities, I have travelled the globe and made some friends for life in my time here. Standards are high and you are expected to work hard, which is the same in any organisation. The company is constantly investing in its product and always looking to improve ROI for their clients, FACT, no company gets everything right all the time, GDS learns, improves and moves forward, it wants happy clients that re-book with us, our re-book figures are a testament to that. The office is in a fantastic location, there is a great atmosphere and a great bunch of people all working hard to the achieve the same goal.
Rewards and recognition
Sales (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol8 May 2018
True organically grown company, all employees are encouraged to develop, do well, progress and rise through the ranks.

The training is truly excellent and continues throughout your career. It’s widely recognised as the best sales training in the industry.

You're stretched to perform to the best of your ability and the reward and the recognition is in keeping with this.
Cons
The company does not offer flextime or work from home
Good company, always improving
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol26 April 2018
- Promotions are internal with lots of room to succeed.
- Everyone is very approachable for advice
- Good working hours 8.30-5 with no pressure to stay later
- World-class training
- Excellent products
- Strong leadership with long-tern vision.
Cons
There are big expectations, this company is not for everyone
Finance
Finance (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol25 April 2018
-Diverse responsibilities
-Gained a wide range of skills
-Support professional development
-High workload
-Can be quite intense and busy in peak times
Sales (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol6 April 2018
GDS was my first job out of university and they were only interested in my ability, not my lack of experience. It is a supportive culture but you are pushed to ensure you maximise your potential and they reward you for keeping up with the pace.

You can't coast in this company, you have to work hard so for those of you looking to twiddle your thumbs, this is not a good fit!
No other cons I can think of - I would certainly work for the company again in the future.
Great training
Delegate Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol16 February 2018
Great people and great commission scheme. The training and support given to new starters is great, co-workers are happy to help you out and answer your questions.

Recently I have noticed a big increase in the volume of sessions for more senior sales staff being run, keep it up!
Cons
none - play better music
2 Years in!
Business Development Executive (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol6 February 2018
It feels like you are running your own company at some points which is great if you're entrepreneurial, however you still feel supported and able to ask for help.Rewards only gained through hard graft but that is the recipe needed to prosper. More regular 1-1 training on market progression and different techniques would be extremely helpful. It's how I learn best. Especially by people who have billed hundreds of thousands in the market I am working.
Pros
own business
Cons
non
Great people!
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  bristol6 February 2018
Having been with GDS for over 5 years I can genuinely say it's the best opportunity I've taken career wise. Talented staff, good products and great earning potential. It's hard work some weeks, regardless of effort you will have some days where things haven't gone the way you hoped, but that's sales.
Pros
earnings
Cons
non
Great if you are prepared to put in the hard yards
Delegate Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol15 January 2018
GDS Group is a good place to work for those who want to work hard, great office locations, earning potential and events held at luxurious locations.

They need to focus more on communication to their staff as sometimes people feel left in the dark until last moment.

The people make GDS what is it is today some incredible personalities and truly inspiring talent there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GDS Group. Our community is ready to answer.

GDS Group Reviews by Location