GDS Group

GDS Group Employee Reviews

When I joined I had four requirements; I wanted a company where I could grow my career quickly, a role where I would be rewarded financially, an international brand with opportunities abroad and an employer that would continuously development my skills. I have enjoyed all those things here; the sales training is excellent, and the people and ambition of the company are what keeps me here.# You are given a lot of responsibility and with that comes a certain amount of pressure. Nothing anyone used to a sales environment or even a sports background will find surprising.
It's a trap for young naive graduates, allured by the impressive salary and 'brilliant' work culture they portray. The company is run by inexperienced, young individuals who happen to have made a few deals in their time at GDS Group, therefore automatically get put on a pedestal for their ability to lie their way through the company. The company is run on deceit, whether that's to their paying customers, management or bottom of the pile employees. This place deteriorates your mental health and don't accept mental health as a genuine issue. They have mass firings, like you're on the X Factor and they expect you to give your life and soul by working ridiculous hours, in order for senior management to thrive off the monetary success which others put in the graft for. If the salary seems too good to be true, then it is. Opt for a job that cares about their employees, pays less and the long-term progression is better. Don't fall into this trap, as the impact of working here is only negative. Look up a few of their employees and you'll see they've been promoted and demoted a million times, maybe even fired in the process. Have a look at their old CEO for one.
Some managers make the job really good, wheras others limit it. Could be a better working environment overall . Was getting paid less than new starters with less experience than me. Didnt really make much sense, which actually in a way sums up the company direction.
I have very mixed feelings about GDS, the floor and line managers are terrific. A really good atmosphere with nothing but nice things to say about the majority of people in the office. Delegate Acquisition is an easy pitch but success is purely based on luck/harassment. A lot of the work is largely immoral and staff are encouraged to borderline harrass delegates in the attempt to get them on the phone. Unrealistic KPI's are pushed and under performance is publicised in order to put more pressure on staff. Senior management is poor and widely inexperienced with zero focus on retaining staff or employee wellbeing. A clear lack of transparency within the business processes with profit being the only objective of the business. Quite poor facilities and IT systems but good location. No flexibility in working hours or option to work from home.
I wouldn't recommend this company to anybody who wants to stay sane. Not only is it terribly managed, but GDS treats their staff like they are just a number in the system. Don't let them fool you with the fancy job advertisement as this is merely a telesales role. KPIs are incredibly important for any sales role, although this company is incredibly unrealistic with what they expect each person to achieve when all it really takes is LUCK (not talent!). Unfortunately, those in charge don't have the qualities to manage teams - which all in all will ensure the downfall of the departments. Adding to this, the pod leaders make it a hostile environment to work in on a daily basis. All in all, my time at GDS Group taught me that it is the most toxic company to work for in Bristol. Stay well clear! (Little tip: Be sensitive about personal issues or it will only keep pushing people to quit!)
I have been working for GDS for just under three years. I would have no problem recommending GDS to anybody who is looking for an exciting and rewarding career. The management team work tirelessly to hire, induct, train and retain the best talent in the market with the priority being to further develop and upskill all employees. Although you are working towards personal targets you are still very much part of a team, and you support each other to reach the end goal. Targets are clear; strong direction, support and autonomy is given to help everyone achieve those targets. Fantastic earning potential. No flexible hours or work-from-home option (understandable with sales roles). Minimal company benefits.
The company is rapidly growing and for that reason anything is possible you can make your own opportunities. If you are struggling support is readily available. Solid network of clients in the market and the chance to meet clients at events. Fun culture, lots of engagement with different teams.
Pros
Training
confused messages from senior management, questionable business plan, worst 8 weeks of my life, prospect ownership debates, would rather kill puppies 9-5 than work their again
Pros
decent basic
Cons
Lead gen was paper, then computer, then paper, then computer, prospecting rules lacking clarity, lack of honesty in sell, recruiter lied completely about sales process and lead gen (probably from not knowing)
Official response from GDS Group
24 June 2019
Dear Smokescreen On behalf of the organisation, we are sorry you feel this way. As we parted ways due to your sudden un-communicated absence from work, it’s a shame to see a negative review. It's disappointing that we didn’t have the opportunity to discuss things with you one to one as we would normally bring to the surface any issues around underperformance and the support required thereafter to get on the right track (as we do for all employees). As you know the entire senior team here at GDS is committed to a simple straightforward sales process.This was the core message of your training week and we feel not only is there is no dishonesty in this process, it is in fact the most transparent and straightforward way in which to communicate the value we deliver – both internally and externally. From your training group we have 4 BDE's who are building great careers for themselves and getting the support from management each and everyday. We do wish you genuinely good luck with you future endeavours, and lament that GDS wasn’t the right fit for you. Tanya Thomas
-Healthy respect for employees -Smart, dedicated people -Good bonus schemes if you perform well -Some good travel opportunities -Most co-workers are friendly -No real politics and most career advancement is based on merit -Many senior managers have been there a long time -Not flexible towards working hours
Official response from GDS Group
24 June 2019
Thank you for this balanced review. Hope you're enjoying new role. Tanya
The purpose of the role was to provide sponsors with a seamless client journey from onboarding through to post-event reviews. GDs provides a great opportunity to learn about disruptive technologies, how to communicate with C-level executives and sales training.
Pros
plenty of staff nights out and international travel
Cons
high staff turnover and ever changing processes
I started with GDS in the delegate acquisition team and now have almost been here for 2 years. Managers and Directors at GDS Group have always encouraged me to progress to higher level roles within the business. Fantastic team support and overall great working environment.I don't currently have any constructive criticism to offer, and genuinely feel that "you get out what you put in". I feel that GDS is an environment where highly motivated self-starters are given the best opportunity to flourish, and am hopeful that I am at the start of a long and successful career!
- Friendly co-workers. - Central location. - Industry-leading products. - Potential to make a lot of money. - Quick career advancement. - High stress, lots of politics.
Great office environments with organic growth, good working hours and superb people with a wealth of expertise. Bonuses in recognition for exceeding job expectations. Performance reviews need to be more frequent. Although day to day guidance and support is given by leaders and the VP these conversations focus on immediate tasks not long-term goals and objectives.
Salary not enough to keep high performers - unless you have been there 8 years plus etc I had opportunity to move up the ladder but on the other hand GDS did want to improve salary etc Salary is the main reason i am looking elsewhere.
Pros
good people
Cons
commission has now changed and given top performers a pay cut not increase
I have worked for GDS for +8 years, it has provided me some amazing opportunities, I have travelled the globe and made some friends for life in my time here. Standards are high and you are expected to work hard, which is the same in any organisation. The company is constantly investing in its product and always looking to improve ROI for their clients, FACT, no company gets everything right all the time, GDS learns, improves and moves forward, it wants happy clients that re-book with us, our re-book figures are a testament to that. The office is in a fantastic location, there is a great atmosphere and a great bunch of people all working hard to the achieve the same goal.
True organically grown company, all employees are encouraged to develop, do well, progress and rise through the ranks. The training is truly excellent and continues throughout your career. It’s widely recognised as the best sales training in the industry. You're stretched to perform to the best of your ability and the reward and the recognition is in keeping with this.
Cons
The company does not offer flextime or work from home
- Promotions are internal with lots of room to succeed. - Everyone is very approachable for advice - Good working hours 8.30-5 with no pressure to stay later - World-class training - Excellent products - Strong leadership with long-tern vision.
Cons
There are big expectations, this company is not for everyone
-Diverse responsibilities -Gained a wide range of skills -Support professional development -High workload -Can be quite intense and busy in peak times
GDS was my first job out of university and they were only interested in my ability, not my lack of experience. It is a supportive culture but you are pushed to ensure you maximise your potential and they reward you for keeping up with the pace. You can't coast in this company, you have to work hard so for those of you looking to twiddle your thumbs, this is not a good fit! No other cons I can think of - I would certainly work for the company again in the future.
Great people and great commission scheme. The training and support given to new starters is great, co-workers are happy to help you out and answer your questions. Recently I have noticed a big increase in the volume of sessions for more senior sales staff being run, keep it up!
Cons
none - play better music
It feels like you are running your own company at some points which is great if you're entrepreneurial, however you still feel supported and able to ask for help.Rewards only gained through hard graft but that is the recipe needed to prosper. More regular 1-1 training on market progression and different techniques would be extremely helpful. It's how I learn best. Especially by people who have billed hundreds of thousands in the market I am working.
Pros
own business
Cons
non