Gates Garden Centre

Gates Garden Centre Employee Reviews

United Kingdom15 reviews
Busy, bustling workplace
This job was more one department based. My primary role was the continued running of the Sundries Department. This predominantly involved keeping the Department faced up and tidy. It also involved me checking off, pricing and merchandising of stock.
Nice place to work.
Great family run business. Staff are very friendly and easy to get along with .
Over busy periods each department will help one another , this is a great opportunity to gain more knowledge and confidence . Management are very approachable and will give support where necessary.

Hours can be flexible when needed .

All in all a very nice place to work with good opportunities along the way
Horrible!!! (Farm shop)
I honestly would not recommend applying here!! 0 job security over 20 people must have been laid off in the 6 months I was there!! The 'main supervisor' is quite possibly one of the nastiest person I have ever met! You dont see her that often though as she is always out the back smoking. The stock room is an absolute mess with out of date produce and dont even get me started on the loose fill!!
Good Place To Work
I worked here for a few years, and very much enjoyed the job. Worked across a few different departments, so there was good variety within the role. I was part-time and I was able to work hours that fit around my other commitments. Most staff were very friendly and got some lovely customers, which made the work environment good and enjoyable. Family run business and at the busiest times the family all pitch in to help things run smoothly.
Amazing family ran business
Working in the restaurant , it was a fast paced friendly atmosphere.
Whenever it busy i have never seen people be so multi functional, helping to chip in when needed, from restaurant and even being able to turn there hand to helping in the Farm Shop.

The Gates Family are very much a hands on Family from helping in all areas of the Garden Centre and Farm Shop. I would highly recommend working here.
garden centre
staff very easy to get along with
tend to get moved around from department to department a lot

Slow days are painful but great place to work at

management keep to themselves
Think again
If your thinking about working here think again ,unless you enjoy being looked down on belittled and put on edge at all times by the owner who Is honestly the worst person I’ve ever worked for.you never know your hours from one week to the next and you can be sacked at any moment. Heath and safety is a joke and how they get away with there opening hours on a Sunday is a mystery
Awful
Awful place to work. The staff are so cruel behind each other’s backs. The management is terrible. No actual rota, pay wrong each month and made to feel bad if we try and have it corrected. Contracts promised but not given. Literally obsessed with sacking people. For literally no reason. The farm shop “supervisor” does nothing but eat and smoke and then comes in “delegating” ridiculous jobs whilst she just walks around pretending to look busy.
Terrible, terrible pace to work! AVOID
Well where to start, I worked in the shop for only a short time, around 5 months and the things and saw and heard in my time where truly awful. I have also had friends that worked here in the past and they mirror my views. Gates is getting a reputation locally to be a bad place to work and I fully agree with that.

The owners are not nice people at all, they are rude, ignorant, and actually quite nasty people and think they own there staff. The truly believe that as they pay your wages they are doing you a favour. Well, news flash, treating staff like rubbish and offering minimum wage is not doing anybody a favour.

The owners and management are obsessed with sacking staff. If you put one foot wrong then your out the door. If your face doesn't fit then also out the door. Make a genuine mistake, your gone. Speak out of line, gone! How they have got away with this for long in this day and age is disgraceful.

The working conditions are also horrific. The break room is disgusting, zero benefits, staff discount is minimal and you are made to feel guilty if you try to use it. Don't consider buying a gift for your family using staff discount, that's another excuse to give you the sack!

I could go on and on but I feel I've made my point. I cannot stress enough what a horrible place Gates is to work and I would avoid applying here at all costs.

One positive, if you make it Christmas and your on the nice list, you may get some cash in an envelope.
Poor Management
Sacked because i refused to park in a area i felt was unsafe sacked in a way off verbal abuse the management lie and are very two faced they advertise positions that people already hold and break The trading laws constantly
Really
Old staff think there in charge nasty and bullies get rid of most of them dont make you welcome as they are scared of there jobs, owners grow a pair and take control of horrible old staff
Disappointed
I work there only for 3 days and realised it wasn’t for me I think the staff room decided it for me it’s disgusting not even suitable for farm animals but why there’s no need for it management shouldn’t allow it you should look after your staff and holidays are so restricted I’m not sure when your allowed to go 🤣
Pros
There aren’t any
Cons
Cons where do I start !
Lovely Family Run Business
Worked there for 2 years as holiday cover over Xmas/Easter/Summer during university. Great place to work, is busy but interesting as always something different to do. Lovely staff and customers.
Pros
Family business
Great team
I work in the kitchen work with a good team it was at time very busy but everyone pulled together only left due to a chance to become a head cheff ..
Pros
Family run
Cons
Long hours sometime
not a fantastic place to work
a typical day at work was very busy around the christmas period i worked, there was plenty of staff working however the work ethics were not great. management in the restaurant of the garden centre could have been greatly improved, i was actually unfairly dismissed due to not being able to work at the pace of some of the others, even though i always gave 100%, the dismissal was also very casually done and a letter then came after. the workplace culture was a bit of a hierarchy, with the girls at the top being ones who sucked up to management which meant they could get away with hardly working, leaving us who worked really hard left to pick up all the pieces. the hardest part of the job was having to work ridiculously hard because others wouldn't and not being given any sort of praise for it. there was no real enjoyable part of this job, apart from making a few friends as you work with a lot of people, one of the friends i did make actually had a fall there and after almost 2 years has still not recieved any compension even though she has hd to have operations because of it i definitely wouldn't recommend this job to anybody.