GAP Group Employee Reviews

Growing company
PLANT HIRE GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  England7 January 2019
always busy, with various challenges each day to keep the job interesting. Customer focused, moving forward in developing the tool hire side of the business.
Pros
Working with a great team
Cons
email overload.
Employees make this company fun to work for
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom23 January 2019
Worked as a sales rep for GAP. The company has a lots of reps all over the country and they are all really friendly and welcoming. Its a good team. It’s quite a difficult job as there is a lot of competition in the industry. You get a company car in order to fulfill customer visits and they seem to like the GAP branded goodies such as mugs, sweets etc!
It’s a family run company and the owners are lovely, there’s a slightly old fashioned way of life. Massive workforce and famous for staff at higher levels of the company having fun with a lot of the females. no big deal. Staff parties and conferences are fun!
I left for a sales role with better money, but overall GAP is a friendly company to work for.
Pros
Friendly team. Feels like your own family
Cons
Salary
Do not entertain
Hire Desk Controller (Former Employee) –  Head Office21 January 2019
I started just prior to Christmas 2018 and would not recommend this company to anyone. Proof of doctors appointments are required, and you have to make the time back. Sickness is no excuse and you are not paid for it, for at least the 1st year. You are constantly being asked what you are doing so that you are not slacking, very condescending in that respect. If you are not sure of anything you are scuppered as there is no training provided. Staff are lovely but morale is very low and there is a very high turnaround of staff.
Strictest office I have ever worked in
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow30 January 2019
First day I went to the loo twice & got up to get a glass of water to take my meds. I was told we aren’t allowed to roam & to use the 10 min a.m break for loo breaks. I was also told that I can’t take lunch if the phone rings/urgent task required, ok fair enough. But then was told if I don’t take lunch at exactly 12, that I lose my lunch...even if we are in a call! They do not pay well enough to justify keeping such a strict regime, no wonder they have so much turnover!
Not Great
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Inverness16 January 2019
There are better plant hire companies than this that pay better. Are more focused on safety and run better from the top down. Safety is fine if it is an easy fix and doesn't cost. Too much focus on getting the machines out rather than putting out a good product.
Pros
holiday purchase so you don't have to work in there as much
Cons
Poor managment, no accountability, lack of safey focus
Overworked
Driver (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh21 January 2019
Ment to be 7.30 start but was handed keys to unlock and move everything at 7.am without pay don't expect a tea break .Ment to get 1 hour x that by 6 days that's 6 hours week for free plus the extra 30m in the morning I. Don't work for free sorry gap . Was told to do mechanical work and cleaning when I had time eh there was never time unless you want 7 pm finish office staff always treating your job and humiliate you in front of other members of staff no respect . Dodgy trailers not legal at all not loading my licence to please gap everyone is free to make there own mind up enjoy
Pros
Leaveing
Cons
Long hours threating job lose
They fired me for being ill even with sick note
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow26 October 2018
I started working in there, unfortunatley fell really ill, got a sick note of a week, still made effort to just miss 2 days. They fired me, no notie at all because I was stick, despite all the effort I made. If you work with them you cannot get sick, they give thousands to charity but is just to show off because they have 0 humanity.
Unorganised
Hire Controller (Former Employee) –  Waltham Abbey, Essex8 September 2018
Friendly staff day to day but management seem unknowledgeable about industry. Didn't treat all customers equally, they wilfully let some customers down to satisfy others.
Pros
Performance bonuses twice annually
Cons
Unorganised, poor salary.
Horrible place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scotland5 September 2018
No job security. No sick pay. No maternity pay. Minimal holidays. No bank holidays. Gap refuse to train and invest in their employees and there is no trust. The management are terrible.
Pros
Early finish Friday
Bunch of cowboys
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Sighthill, City of Edinburgh2 September 2018
Terrible place to work there not interested in there staff will not invest in you and treat you badly. They try to threaten you with your job and bully you.
Pros
Cons
Terrible job
a progressing company with great employees
LIFTING FITTER (Current Employee) –  Midlands23 August 2018
I am enjoying my time at GAP, although the pay isnt the best compared to what you may seek elsewhere.
i work along side a small team of helpful and charismatic employees.
Pros
Friendly staff
Terrible place to work
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Head office16 August 2018
Worked here for a long time management was terrible at head office there was definitely bullying from management and even though it was raised it was brushed under the carpet I was just a number and my voice when I tried to approach HR about this was dismissed as HR was friends with management my advice is if you want your voice to be heard button it as if you raise any issues you are blackmarjed and your life will be made unbearable that they force you to resign
Cons
Fun and productive work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire4 August 2018
Gained lot of experience . Work with lot of good people and net new people, learned about retail and customer service. Managed my tine between working and studying.
Ex fitter
Plant Fitter (Former Employee) –  Wallasey, Merseyside29 June 2018
I worked @gap wallasey for 10yrs brilliant manager and totally recommend any one who is looking for the career move to look no further. Apart from my current employer Boles rental Liverpool that is ...
Pros
Good workshop
Cons
Pay structure has lagged behind the competion
Fitter bristol
Fitter (Former Employee) –  Bristil12 June 2018
Poor job prospects upper management awful
They think big fish little pond . If only Scotland knew . More worried figure than health and safety . Treat lower staff like dogs ie fitter lowest of the low don’t go
Pros
730 to 1600 and none
Cons
Upper management
New employees perspective
Divisional Account Manager (Current Employee) –  south east11 May 2018
I joined GAP 3 months ago from a competitor, the culture and the vision of the company and the staff is refreshing. I feel very welcomed and I get the impression that the company look after its employees as they have a very high amount of staff that have been with the company for a long time. The investment into the business is clear to see from the IT systems and the equipment. I feel supported by my manager and my supporting depots. I know I have made a good decision joining the GAP Group.
Good Family run company
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire4 May 2018
New to the GM role however very enjoyable and a eye opener. Some staff issues can be challenging.

Have worked now for Gap for 5 years previously as a hire and sales coordinator.

Great communication from and with head office and always reward staff for going that extra mile.
Pros
bonus scheme
Learnt alot
Depot Manager (Former Employee) –  South East1 May 2018
After 11 years I have moved into a different industry, typical day was rewarding and management supportive. I was allowed to manage the depot without to much micro management. I worked with an excellent team. Staffing in South East was a big challenge - every day there was something different which was the most enjoyable - I would recommend GAP as an employer to anyone especially after working in other hire companies in the past
Pros
Let you get on with things and progression
Great team.to work with
Yard operative (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire27 April 2018
Loved working for this company has a great bunch.off guys there to work alongside the company taught me a great deal and give me.good motivation.skills
Pros
Burger van
Cons
Wet weather
One of the better hire companies to work for
General Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London21 April 2018
It really depends on which depot you work in as each one is almost like a separate company.
I've worked for 3 of the major tool and plant hire companies and Gap are definitely the best to work for.
Alot will be expected of you but if your interested you can learn alot and move up within the company.
Pros
Job security, Good benefits
Cons
Hours may be long, Alot may be expected of you.