Games Workshop

Games Workshop Employee Reviews

United Kingdom47 reviews
If you're good at talking you can do this. You dont even need vast knowledge of the company as you will learn quickly. Regular customers. Sense of community. Support from colleagues and higher ups.
From me it was a unique experience and I regret that I'm not working anymore... They were a fantastic team and management and I used to love the place... If I would have the chance I would go back to work in that cool company! Respect Games Workshop!
Good place to work, mosty departaments have one shift , they giving a lot of trainings for the work with specyfics machines , all breaks are paid, nice atmosphere at work
Great company to work for good opportunities and great pay and good rewards and overtime availability best place someone could work at with busy work but rewarding work
Flexible hours, good ethos, caring overall. However, some of the veterans go to seconded roles and really do not have to interview if they decide to stay in that role.
It's either 10000mph or zero. A lot of stopping and starting and they create shift patterns that last several months then expect you to change to fit them when the shift pattern doesn't work out as they've not prepared for it correctly as a business before hiring people. Use vast amounts of agency staff but never take any of them on whole externally advertising for the jobs the agency staff are doing.
Advancement here does not depend on how well you do your job as much as how pally you are with senior managers. Department managers often have literally no previous experience in their area, and rely on the teams to make improvements, then take the credit. If your face doesnt fit you wont go far here. You'll do ok if you can talk a good job In endless meetings about meetings
Games Workshop has been an amazing place to work for many years. Unfortunately now it's growth is beginning to stifle the culture and atmosphere that made it a great workplace. Staff are being pushed too hard and the turnover of staff in key areas is beginning to reflect this.
Pros
some good benefits
Cons
over worked
Was great place to work but pay is low. If poorly managed can mean you end up working silly hours and often alone. My experience wasn't great with the management. had that been different I would probably still be there
Pros
fun job, good bennfits
Cons
poor managment, low pay
Retail sales role in a busy environment.

Dealing with customers on a daily basis showing and explaining how products work.

Really fun and energetic job t be in.
It has been a while since I have worked for the company but I must say that the benefits were superb especially if you were a fan of the products tht they produced.
good place to work ,lots of positions available , very happy with my time there just needed more sociable hours for family life . would definitely recomend
This place was and still is the best place i have worked the staff was amazing my manager was awesome the only reason i left was because i couldn't live on the salary that i was on.
Pros
good people
Cons
money or lack of
A typical day at Games Workshop requires you to be alert to every opportunity to interact with customers and to make use of conversations to show them what the Warhammer hobby is. Recruitment is the focus and you are followed based on how much recruitment you are doing (Selling core starter sets for example).

It is a very educational work placement to have and I learnt a great deal during the three years I have worked for the company. I have learnt about customer interactions, the skills required to run a store smoothly, the skills to promote and run in store events to name just a few. Help and support is always available to those who need it from higher up and store managers will usual be happy to help.
this was a great please to work ,
your hobby was your job and the people all wanted it to do well and invested in making the business a fun place to work.

staff and customers all enjoying the hobby and a great environment to work with like minded people
A typical day involves working with customer who actively seek the store and have an active interest. Something helped by having your own interest in the product as well.

I've learned a lot about maintaining a store and building a sustainable community.

From my role as a relief worker I didn't engage often with the company's management above my own manager. Same goes for the wider culture of the company beyond my store.
The typical day was a alot of talking about a hobby i love.

I learned sales techniques and management skills, as well as self motivation due to it's one man store setup
Kept applying for managers jobs only to be told I wasn't experience enough, only to see the job go to clowns with equal lack of experience but ability to follow orders like a trained dog.
Typical Day:
Cleaning, Stocking, Banking, Till Work, Greeting Customers, Establishing Customer Rapport, Running Introduction Activities, Fostering Positive Store Atmosphere, Managing Store Facebook Page, Planning Events, Running Events, Creating Promotional Material, Self Promotion of Store.

Learning Opportunities:

Customer Service, Customer Relations, Miniature Painting Skills, Role-playing.

Management:

Manger Meetings (One / 3 Months), Management are generally people who have been with the company for a very long time.

Workplace Culture:

In Store - You are your store, your actions are the sole reason as to why you will succeed or fail.

Company - Large majority of other managers are boasters about what they are doing, and are only interested in themselves, though there are some good managers who you can get some great store advice from.

Hardest Part of the Job:

Lone Working, you are responsible for everything. Its like being responsible for a franchise, but earning a salary, with no pay rise, and no chance of a promotion unless you have been with the company 10+ years, and that's not even enough.

Targets, you have to be meeting them, and only by really smashing them hard can you earn any extra money, and its tough to do that.

Enjoyable Part of the Job:

Community, the store is a community that you can build, and be the life blood of, its great to chat with your regulars, and getting new people interested in the product.

Creative, you have the opportunity to learn and master miniature painting, and with access to all the resources needed, you can really
 - more...
Pros
Discount on Stock, Franchise-esk
Cons
Lone Working, Self Promotion, Lack of Support, No Progression
I worked with a great Team in Bristol as a part time blue shirt. The job was fun and the pay was ok for a part time job. The discount is amazing if you want it. You don't need to know everything about the systems just have some passion. Salary of managers in bigger stores is good considering the little responsibility you have compared to other retail management jobs.
Pros
Fun, fun, fun
Cons
You do end up dealing with a few odd people. But we're all a little odd I guess.
Truth be told, for the right fit the company is great to work for - and Games Workshop recruit on "fit" in the corporate culture above strict ability or qualification (although those never go amiss - one needs to be able to actually do the job in the end). This can be great and can give passionate creatives a real leg up, but can also give the feeling that it's not what you know, but who you know, that dictates your advancement through the company. However, it doesn't detract that ability is still needed.
Overall, management is patchy - overall well-meaning and tries hard to work for your benefit, but not perfect. A few appear too weak to really control the more problematic elements of their respective departments, which can create unpleasant working conditions.

The best way to view the company is one of creative eccentrics - many parts are quite laid back and pleasant, and overall there is a lack of backbiting and spite that you find in many office environments.

If you're the right "fit" and can shoulder the weight of a role, it's a great place to work.
Pros
Staff discount, great work environment, subsidised public travel, on-site gym
Cons
Poor cross-company communication, pay isn't exactly stellar but is getting better