GAME Employee Reviews

United Kingdom545 reviews
An experience
GAME as an employer is not the best, with sick pay being an ordeal to obtain, HR being absent from most complaints and the higher ups being non present aside from to tell staff off for slipping on their figures slightly. And minimum wage is less than ideal
However, the community of employees are wonderful and some of the nicest people I have ever met and I absolutely adore working here. The customers (for the most part) are great and if you know your games then you'll have a blast working here.
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Bad pay for hard work and few advancement opportunities
Friendly workplace
Very friendly and helpful colleagues because they are welcoming and give you answers to questions you need to be answered on how to do tasks. They are also very approachable for any questions that you need to be answered.
Fun and productive atmosphere.
A typical day consists of answering customer queries, serving, tidying the shop floor and keeping up to date with current developments in the gaming industry.
Don't expect the job they advertise.
Do you love talking about games? Well don't expect that at Game. Expect to be working for a corporation that puts sales targets ahead of customer satisfaction. Expect a boss who keeps making mistakes with customers purchases and somehow isn't in on the days that the annoyed customers come in. Expect to have to push game insurance, accessory insurance and console insurance onto every purchase that your customers make. Expect to be treated like dirt. Expect to never be listened to when you make suggestions to improve efficiency. Expect to see head office price second hand games higher than new games, yet make you as a sales assistant feel responsible for the store not making enough profit (they make more profit on the second hand games). Expect to be working for a company that is clearly going out of business because it can't keep up with modern expectations or do anything sensibly or logically. Expect to be disappointed because you thought this job would be fun.
Challenging
Not for the faint hearted. Fast paced, competitive and stressful environment sometimes esp during peak times.
There ARE daily targets, you will be expected to meet them, you will be judged and "managed"/ "Coached" if you don't. I enjoyed my experience as I thrive in that environment.
Fast paced and varied
There were always last minute tasks coming down from head office as well as the general tasks, so some days were far more reactive than others. There were also a large range of customers so one conversation was never the same as the next.
Fun and laid back
What makes the job enjoyable is the staff members and working with products that genuinely peak your interest. Helping customers find what they're looking for can also be greatly satisfying, however, due to the gaming industry being largely overlooked by a large population of shoppers, disrespect can occur.
Very fun place to work
Every day at work felt very productive, positive and enjoyable! I learnt that you CAN enjoy work, it doesn't have to be something you do for the paycheck! The management was very friendly and helpful and i instantly felt like part of the team even though i was only on a temporary contract. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with difficult customers but that was easily overshadowed by all the positives! I am a very passionate gamer and i felt so at home in the store that working there came very naturally to me. LOVED. IT.
Good Workplace
I enjoyed my time working at game, fast paced and sometimes stressful due to the sales orientated enviroment.
if you know Games and are good with sales you will excell
Cozy place to work
A cozy place to work in, teammates are friendly and helpful, work is quite is easy if you know your area about games. Sometimes it is a challenge to understand customer needs.
Fun Workplace and Chilled Environment
A typical day at work was essentially generic customer service but always with a smile as most of the time if you're working for GAME then you're there for a reason, because if it's a hobby of yours outside of work. Customers are a mixed bunch as in any shop, some know what they want and others need some of your expertise for possible suggestions based on things they've played or currently do play. Management were amazing to me and always approachable with any issues you might have. Workplace was usually chilled and relax and working with like-minded people means you're likely to make a few new friends along the way which is always nice. Most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with and being around the very thing that keeps you sane in the evening, games.
Competitive
Fairly slow paced, but high pressure at times with warranty etc. Learned a lot about customer service. Management was good. Workplace culture was competitive. Hardest part was remembering legal information, most enjoyable was working with games.
Horrific Head Office, Bad/low pay and 4-hour contracts!
You might be thinking... "I like video games, I should apply to work at Game."

Okay. That's 25% of the job.

Do you want to get paid peanuts? Do you want to work with weebs?

If so, this is the company for you!
Fun
A great place to work at, go for it. People there are great and it really is a great place to be, Pay is great too, benefits are amazing too, best place ever.
An experiance
The staff/ Coworkers are amazing, its hard work but pays off, its super fun and engaging and definitely a great job for those who enjoying gaming and likeminded individuals
Awful company who do not care about employees
I worked for GAME over numerous years (10) and i would reccomend staying well away. You do not climb the ladder easy and the company are very stuck in their ways. I have also seen people steal from their own stores and get away with it. Really wish this place was like the good old days again.
Poor Company
Poorly managed company. Not a good company to work for if you're a woman and have children.
Not a good company to work for if you have any mental health issues. The company doesn't understand how to help people that have mental health issues.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Poorly managed, too much favoritism
Fun place to work
Game is a fun and relaxed environment to work in however as management it can get stressful as you approach peak times and big game releases because the company sets targets for you to hit which aren't always realistic.
Warehouse
the work is not constant depending on the area where one is the majority of the work is on the ground floor PB and 2 and temporary people work more than permanent ones.
Productive workplace
I learned a lot of techniques through customer service, including dealing with difficult customers. I have a wider knowledge of tech and gaming equipment now. I got along really well with the staff in my branch.
No care for their staff
Do my value staff, Hours constantly being cut, staff blamed for manager mistakes, no recognition, pay is awful, sales assistants can earn more than deputy managers if they work enough hours.