GAME Employee Reviews

Fast paced but relaxed
Seasonal Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway5 April 2018
Worked at game over Christmas and new year 2015/2016. The hours weren't long and in most cases very many. the team was good fun to work with and if you are looking for a seasonal position GAME would be worth looking at. But as a seasonal member you might not get many hours i found. this may also be due to my distance from the store.
Pros
good staff to work with, great if you love games, good salary.
Cons
low hours
Best retail workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Banbury3 April 2018
Assuming you have some interest in video games this is the best place to work in retail. You'll work with like minded people who share your passions whilst being given the opportunity to be rewarded for your hard work.
Good Place to get a step on the job ladder
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, Lincolnshire26 March 2018
The working day at GAME can be anything, one day it could be a Game launch the next day you could be doing a massive tech trade in. You learn something new every day working within the company and you need to have a good team to support you as if you do not like your team members it can be a lonely place to work.
Pros
Staff Discount, People Orientated Job
Cons
Hours, Job Security, Stress
Great benefits, Tough life
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Orpington26 March 2018
Game offer employees great benefits, however the Regional management structure needs a drastic overhaul to bring it inline with other retail businesses that are succeeding in the market space at the moment. The senior management team seem to be slightly detached from the reality of the market and this causes mass confusion and extra work for the already stretched retail teams.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Long working hours
Fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Braehead23 March 2018
Good hours that fit around college, worked with fun people, work on the floor was easy, easy to pick up the skills needed.
Management was nice, helped me pick up everything easily.
Pros
Get to talk about games, worked with good people
Cons
Temporary position
Lived a dream
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochdale16 March 2018
Always wanted to work there as a kid. Loved it, worked with good people, liked the benefits and was surrounded by my passion. I still cant believe its over.
Isolated
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran Town15 March 2018
While i worked there I felt very isolated and as if I was not wanted to be there. I also felt like when i was there the other workers didn't particularly want to interact with me
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Last minute shift timings
Very good place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire7 March 2018
Loved the people and the environment, I only left because they didn’t have a place for me when I moved back from university, room for advancement if you are willing to work for it
Evolving business
Senior Sales (Former Employee) –  Cardiff7 March 2018
My time with Game was enjoyable and with the team of people I was lucky to work with made it all the better. The company is constantly changing and anyone who is looking to be in a vast business with a very fast pace Game would suit you.
Great fun
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend4 March 2018
I did have great fun working there. I was a happy little gamer nerd surrounded by the latest and greatest games, I did spend a good deal of my wages there too.

Want to know more about GAME?

Ask a question
great place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire3 March 2018
Even though it was a christmas temp position my experience working at game was nothing but enjoyable. The work environment was always fun and the staff felt very much like a family.
Pros
able to borrow pre-owned titles, great discounts
Cons
very outdated tills very difficult to work with
Cheerful and fun
Customer Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire1 March 2018
I've worked at game twice now and enjoy interacting with like-minded individuals. I've a lot of relevant knowledge so have used this resource to make more sales in a friendly manner. The job isn't difficult although the computer systems used are a bit antiquated however instruction is given on how to use the computers upon starting at the company.
Its alright
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham28 February 2018
Pay wasn't so good met some friends there but overall if you want to pay bills dont go there, unless you are a student and want a quick buck, but dont be looking at it as a long term job
Very Good Workplace, Friendly and Helpful.
Retail Assistant (Temporary Contract) (Former Employee) –  Paisley27 February 2018
Supportive coworkers and team, and a very supportive manager. Pay, hours and days for work are worked out around demand and also takes into consideration any set in stone arrangements.
Good job as long as you work with the right people
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield20 February 2018
Great working environment as long as you're working with friends or people you like. But you could say that about any job to be honest. However, upper management is terrible and the care for staff and customers alike is passed aside for profit and making money. Which, again is like most working environments but this is from a person view.
Also the constant talk of losing your job due to not being able to fit figures and then losing out on hours because the store isn't meeting targets makes for a stressful place to work.
Pay could always be better and full time jobs for someone who isn't management doesn't exist.
Pros
good working with friends
Cons
upper management and no full time jobs
Warehouse Operative
Warehouse Operative (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke18 February 2018
Once you become used to the routine, the job is very easy. Although when I was hired I was provided with very poor packing procedures, however I learned from the minor mistakes and it became easier and easier.
Pros
Some times will provide free lunch/product, if the company is doing really well.
Cons
Travel
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weymouth16 February 2018
fully enjoyed my christmas at game, colleagues were really nice and was great being able to talk about common gaming topics while waiting for customers, manager was great and easy going just couldnt keep me on as they didnt have any hours for me after christmas which was a shame. benefits could of been better though
Pros
common interests with all colleagues, management was good
Cons
lackluster benefits
it was fun
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Leigh, Lancashire13 February 2018
it was fun at game i enjoyed my time there everyone was friendly and kind i learned now to stock the games up and how to price the games to the right cost
seems like a dream job at first....
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Belfast11 February 2018
When on the outside looking in, GAME looks an amazing place to work, however the management treat the staff like dirt, and are deliberately pitted against each other by management through "pot stirring" and the use of other members of staff as "spies"

Hours are meant to be giving out based of KPI's, so theoretically if you are good at sales your hours should be good.
Breaks are a joke, if you even get one, you will be called off them more often than not, or told to only take 20-30 minutes of your hour break (not getting paid for the extra half hour of work)

however favouritism is a massive thing within the store and hours are always giving to 2-3 specific staff.
you are expected to work past your Rota'd hours with no pay and can stay up to an hour after hours tidying and not paid for it.

You can be promoted from within the company towards Senior sales and above, however, this again is looked to towards favouritism and not based on knowledge within the store or KPI's

It is quite difficult to plan your social life around your rota witihin GAME, as you are lucky to get the weekly rota the day before the new week starts, sometimes giving you less than 12 hours notice before your next shift.

The only good thing about working here, is the people you work with, and the 20% discount on products
Pros
discount off of products
Cons
poor management, favourtism, poor pay
I wish I could stay longer, Best job I've ever had.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex8 February 2018
Management were always on top, all staff were friendly and they helped teach well. There were so many benefits too, discount and ensuring a copy for yourself.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GAME. Our community is ready to answer.