GAME Employee Reviews

Arena Specialist and Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwich21 October 2018
Great place and great working environment, very easy to make new friends. You don't have to be a hardcore gamer to work there, but knowledge of games and tech helps.
Pros
Flexible, Knowledge learnt
Cons
Pay Rate
Not worth the stress
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom20 October 2018
I loved working for the company despite the low hours and pay because I genuinely enjoyed the environment and communicating with customers. However after a shift one day I was dismissed at the end of it with no prior warning, leaving me suddenly jobless.

The sales targets are the most ridiculous I've ever known. Dismissal was due to low sales targets of disc care, accessory care and console care (which no one ever wants, even the staff admit they don't buy these).

You also get the rota a day before the new work week starts which gives you very little time to plan the week ahead and no time to plan ahead of that.

The low hours, low pay, ridiculous sales targets are not worth the stress. Honestly surprised the company is still up and running.
Pros
Good atmosphere, meeting great people
Cons
Low hours, low pay, unrealistic sales targets
fun work place at times, pay lacks and very target driven
Assistant Manager at Game Bullring 0661 (Current Employee) –  Bullring, West Midlands18 October 2018
I love the people i work with, the company is great at times, others not so much. very target driven company which is fine but staff who deliver are never rewarded for any of the sales. its hard to get the proper motivation when there isnt a reward at the end. when you have to learn as much as you do at game and constantly having to up sell and attach it gets very exhausting, and even when you do manage to hit a target it feels so underwhelming. The company asks a lot of their staff, and its not like the pay is any better either. i feel massively underpaid for what i do. 35 hour week can feel like a 60 hour week as you need to learn lots and do e-learning courses at home too. (you dont get paid for them) so not only do you devote yourself at work you have to at home too. Like i said the people are great i love my manager i love my team, just not the company so much. they need to focus on taking more care of their staff. After all we are the ones making them the money.
Pros
people, gaming industry
Cons
low pay, high demand, overly target driven, no sense of achievement, unsociable work load
Stressful, but Simple
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands14 October 2018
The work is easy to learn, but can be difficult to execute with heavy footfall. The company places great emphasis on add-on sales, so a persuasive personality is advantageous.
Learn a lot of life skills but the enjoyment wears off
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bracknell10 October 2018
After being in the company for two years, I can definitely express my gratitude for teaching me many valuable skills. I am now more knowledgeable when it comes to how phones work and how to repair them (software repairs), I feel this will come in handy in the future.

However, after about 6 months it became apparent that it was going to be very difficult to ever advance in the company, as well as the fact the hours were very very limited.
Pros
Discounts on games
Cons
Slim chance of advancement
Productive and Busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley2 October 2018
The weekends were usually very busy and during the week it was a bit quieter during school time. There would be a lot of talking with customers to help them either find the right game or console deal to suit them. There would often also be a lot of organising the store to keep it neat and tidy but also keeping it up to date with the new deals.
I learned a lot of organisational skills as well as customer service skills and problem solving.

Hardest part of the job would be time management as, during the weekends especially, it would get very busy on tills and you would have a queue but you would also need to be assisting the customer in front of you with their queries.

The team was the most enjoyable part of the job as it was easy to get along with everyone and tried to assist each when help was needed.
Pros
Good teamwork
Cons
Not enough hours
productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Skegness27 September 2018
great bunch to work with easy job, should keep yourself up-to date with all the latest gaming platforms and games being released. good rate of bay and friendly managers
Solid experience for those looking to get into retail
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ballymena, County Antrim5 September 2018
Having joined GAME in the winter of 2017, myself and other 'New-Starts' were forged in the fires of the Christmas season, where we had to learn as we go and always be on our toes for customers.

At GAME, you live, breathe and die by sales targets. Every week your store has a quota of 'Pre-Owned' games/consoles, Mobiles/Tech and Pre-Orders (Although these three sometimes alternate with other targets such as GAME Loyalty sign-ups etc.) and your hours in week also live and die by your commitment to achieve these targets.
Pros
Great for Gamers who have a passion | Good discounts on Games/Console
Cons
Rotas are rare and unstable | GAME Franchise management could be improved
Nice staff
Sales Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield24 August 2018
Management was nice and hours were fair, they fitted my hours around my education. Customers can be rough to deal with but thats just the essence of the job
UP UP no Down Down
Xmas Sales Assistant Temp (Former Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil14 August 2018
There was so many up up's compared to down downs of the role i had in game. I wish my time with this fantastic friendly helpful company could have lasted longer than as a xmas temp but oh well fate has a funny way of working out.

Typical day was never the same. Duties included helping customers on the shop floor with enquiries, stock checking, stock loading, Working in a team and own initiative to complete tasks and to help ramp up sales, promoting offers and events in store and online, keep the shop tidy, welcoming customers with a smile, helping customers to cars with their shopping, key handling, handling deliveries, organisation of files and stock aswell as shop floor, alpha alpha ordering of stocked shelves.

Friendly fun staff and good times. Most enjoyable part of the role was helping people. Hardest part stock rotating and upselling.

Overall i have nothing but a positive experience.
Pros
Discount and the fun and enjoyment shared having mutual interests of games.
Cons
I only worked as Xmas temp
worklife
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire10 August 2018
Well I've done a number of things at work from customer service to merchandising answers queries, so I have good balance during my shift.

The workload varies on the month and what games are coming out but it gets busier during the season holidays but quieter during the summer.
Pros
discounts
Cons
not good on pay some of the months
Good experience and a fun time
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Clacton-on-Sea31 July 2018
over the four weeks i spent at game for work experience i thoroughly enjoyed my time and learned a lot of helpful skills that i will continue to use throughout my career.
Great Team, Too target oriented
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim31 July 2018
I really enjoyed my time being at game, my fellow employees made me feel right at home very quickly, great people to work with but very target driven and management is very strict with targets.
Pros
Good money, Great workmates
Cons
It is a great working place
Sales Assistant and Helper (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway26 July 2018
Management can be slow at points at the registers as they have other things to do but they do there work and they finally get there on time each time. As working there as part of my Work Experience I did what they do mostly on a daily basis. It can be quite challenging but you get used to it. They are always great with the customers and they are always polite with the people they work along side with.
fun, interesting, engaging
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells, Kent25 July 2018
it was a very entertaining job. never a day I woke up dreading the work as you are constanltly around like minded people who want nothing but to have a genuinely good conversation. everyone you work with, you end up building a genuine and long lasting friendship with.

management was good, and there was always an atmosphere of healthy competition to meet targets.
Fun and lively.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Widnes, Cheshire15 July 2018
I enjoyed working at Game because the atmosphere was always cheery, and it felt like working with family. It was a fun environment, and there was never a dull moment.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead, Merseyside13 July 2018
Great place to work, not particularly challenging. It can be very slow at times during off hours when people are in school or work. When it's peak time though it can be a blast especially towards the Christmas. Honestly not a lot in the way of progression though, I know a guy who working for game for close 8 years and never progressed passed sales assistant.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
A lot of down time
Wolf ward
Shop Worker (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire6 July 2018
Not really anything good to say about this business as I almost took them to a tribunal court the management didn’t know what they were doing and weren’t very to customers.
Pros
Non
Cons
A lot
Good if you're young or management
SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset3 July 2018
GAME since selling shares has lost a lot of its appeal. I love my job because of my team, but the pay is not worth it for the work you put in, passion for gaming and for the new shifts patterns. Only good if you were to get to management.
Pros
Great if you're passionate about games, fit around uni or college.
Cons
No breaks, bad pay, poor head office team.
Amazing
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London3 July 2018
I really loved working at Game it is such a happy environment all my colleagues was so supportive. Even if you’re not a gamer like myself there is so much tools to help you understand and sell products.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GAME. Our community is ready to answer.