GAME Employee Reviews

UP UP no Down Down
Xmas Sales Assistant Temp (Former Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil14 August 2018
There was so many up up's compared to down downs of the role i had in game. I wish my time with this fantastic friendly helpful company could have lasted longer than as a xmas temp but oh well fate has a funny way of working out.

Typical day was never the same. Duties included helping customers on the shop floor with enquiries, stock checking, stock loading, Working in a team and own initiative to complete tasks and to help ramp up sales, promoting offers and events in store and online, keep the shop tidy, welcoming customers with a smile, helping customers to cars with their shopping, key handling, handling deliveries, organisation of files and stock aswell as shop floor, alpha alpha ordering of stocked shelves.

Friendly fun staff and good times. Most enjoyable part of the role was helping people. Hardest part stock rotating and upselling.

Overall i have nothing but a positive experience.
Pros
Discount and the fun and enjoyment shared having mutual interests of games.
Cons
I only worked as Xmas temp
Good experience and a fun time
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Clacton-on-Sea31 July 2018
over the four weeks i spent at game for work experience i thoroughly enjoyed my time and learned a lot of helpful skills that i will continue to use throughout my career.
Great Team, Too target oriented
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim31 July 2018
I really enjoyed my time being at game, my fellow employees made me feel right at home very quickly, great people to work with but very target driven and management is very strict with targets.
Pros
Good money, Great workmates
Cons
It is a great working place
Sales Assistant and Helper (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway26 July 2018
Management can be slow at points at the registers as they have other things to do but they do there work and they finally get there on time each time. As working there as part of my Work Experience I did what they do mostly on a daily basis. It can be quite challenging but you get used to it. They are always great with the customers and they are always polite with the people they work along side with.
fun, interesting, engaging
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells, Kent25 July 2018
it was a very entertaining job. never a day I woke up dreading the work as you are constanltly around like minded people who want nothing but to have a genuinely good conversation. everyone you work with, you end up building a genuine and long lasting friendship with.

management was good, and there was always an atmosphere of healthy competition to meet targets.
Fun and lively.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Widnes, Cheshire15 July 2018
I enjoyed working at Game because the atmosphere was always cheery, and it felt like working with family. It was a fun environment, and there was never a dull moment.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead, Merseyside13 July 2018
Great place to work, not particularly challenging. It can be very slow at times during off hours when people are in school or work. When it's peak time though it can be a blast especially towards the Christmas. Honestly not a lot in the way of progression though, I know a guy who working for game for close 8 years and never progressed passed sales assistant.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
A lot of down time
Wolf ward
Shop Worker (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire6 July 2018
Not really anything good to say about this business as I almost took them to a tribunal court the management didn’t know what they were doing and weren’t very to customers.
Pros
Non
Cons
A lot
Good if you're young or management
SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset3 July 2018
GAME since selling shares has lost a lot of its appeal. I love my job because of my team, but the pay is not worth it for the work you put in, passion for gaming and for the new shifts patterns. Only good if you were to get to management.
Pros
Great if you're passionate about games, fit around uni or college.
Cons
No breaks, bad pay, poor head office team.
Amazing
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London3 July 2018
I really loved working at Game it is such a happy environment all my colleagues was so supportive. Even if you’re not a gamer like myself there is so much tools to help you understand and sell products.
Fun and friendly
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Braehead12 June 2018
A busy shop with friendly and diverse staff. The management team were great and always there for support. There was always something needing done in the store and it was fun to learn about any new changes to the company or learn about new game releases. I enjoyed building relationships with the staff and customers and helping them find what they needed.
Pros
Mangers are supportive and overall enjoyable position
Cons
little progression opportunities
Attach Attach Attach
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cumbria9 June 2018
Used to love this place, but now its all about the attach rather than the customer.

Buy the games cheaper online folks from elsewhere.

Attach Warranty, Season pass, Disc care (blu rays don't scratch folks.). Pre orders. Etc etc etc.
We have 15 questions to ask every customer.
Pros
The staff
Cons
The attaches
fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London4 June 2018
It was very fun to work for game. I acted as a sales assistant, which basically entailed going around the store to help people find certain games and recommending games. All the other employees and managers were really fun to work with.
Amazing organisation
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol1 June 2018
Really friendly employees and it is a very welcoming and comfortable environment. The overall atmosphere is lovely and was amazing having the experience to work there.
Great first job
Sales Assistant (Seasonal Team Member) (Former Employee) –  Worcester30 May 2018
I worked at GAME as a Christmas temp and loved it so much I worked there the following year. The staff are amazing and relaxed, which is just what you need when you’re working at a video game store during peak times. I enjoyed working sales floor and getting displays ready for new releases. I couldn’t recommend it enough.

The only downfall was lack of job advancement. Never had the opportunity to stay as a permanent member of staff.
Pros
Great staff, nice working environment
Cons
Lack of advancement
Great fun
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MS29 May 2018
9/10am start help open up, check stock, update deals and promos
till work most of the day
customer care on products in store and ones they want to sell
Pros
great team
Cons
short contracted hours
not a lot to do
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey22 May 2018
some days like game release days would often be busy but in a smaller store majority of days were spent doing not very much. I learned that customers don't know what they want and wont take advice and to be patient. the management is good and they look after their staff but are not always the most approachable. the hardest part of the job was keeping busy when no customers were around and the best part was getting to speak to someone about a game I enjoyed.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
night shift for midnight release
Amazing co-worker, terrible management.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire18 May 2018
From what I remember working working at GAME is the amazing co-worker and the terrible management. The co-workers that you work with end up becoming like a second family and where the best thing about the job. You could be having a bad day due to management, customers or out of work things and your co-workers would be there to support you and help you out. The management was the worst part of the job. Terrible hours with no consistency, favouritism on staff members who management got along with, made to feel terrible for selling a ton of items from the store making the company profit but not selling any of the cares that customers just don't want or have hardly any use for, being punished for not doing work outside of work hours despite the fact you're not getting paid to do it (Filling in figures at the end of the day where management are supposed to give you time before your shift ends to do it but never did). Pay was average so nothing to complain about there.
Pros
Co-Workers
fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Colchester17 May 2018
Even though I only spent a short time here due to it being work experience I do feel I gained a lot of insight and knowledge on what I need when it comes to future careers.
Fun but very quiet
Former Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammersmith, Greater London14 May 2018
I worked briefly at this store and the team were great to work with ever since I started. I learnt how to use the till system and I didn't have a lot of knowledge about games at first but I learnt as I worked. The upper management is not the best but the manager at the store was very professional and always helped us.
Pros
discount on games and small discount on consoles
Cons
Not much pay and hours sometimes fluctuated so wasn't steady.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GAME. Our community is ready to answer.