GAME Employee Reviews

Attach Attach Attach
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cumbria9 June 2018
Used to love this place, but now its all about the attach rather than the customer.

Buy the games cheaper online folks from elsewhere.

Attach Warranty, Season pass, Disc care (blu rays don't scratch folks.). Pre orders. Etc etc etc.
We have 15 questions to ask every customer.
Pros
The staff
Cons
The attaches
fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London4 June 2018
It was very fun to work for game. I acted as a sales assistant, which basically entailed going around the store to help people find certain games and recommending games. All the other employees and managers were really fun to work with.
Amazing organisation
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol1 June 2018
Really friendly employees and it is a very welcoming and comfortable environment. The overall atmosphere is lovely and was amazing having the experience to work there.
Great first job
Sales Assistant (Seasonal Team Member) (Former Employee) –  Worcester30 May 2018
I worked at GAME as a Christmas temp and loved it so much I worked there the following year. The staff are amazing and relaxed, which is just what you need when you’re working at a video game store during peak times. I enjoyed working sales floor and getting displays ready for new releases. I couldn’t recommend it enough.

The only downfall was lack of job advancement. Never had the opportunity to stay as a permanent member of staff.
Pros
Great staff, nice working environment
Cons
Lack of advancement
Great fun
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MS29 May 2018
9/10am start help open up, check stock, update deals and promos
till work most of the day
customer care on products in store and ones they want to sell
Pros
great team
Cons
short contracted hours
not a lot to do
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey22 May 2018
some days like game release days would often be busy but in a smaller store majority of days were spent doing not very much. I learned that customers don't know what they want and wont take advice and to be patient. the management is good and they look after their staff but are not always the most approachable. the hardest part of the job was keeping busy when no customers were around and the best part was getting to speak to someone about a game I enjoyed.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
night shift for midnight release
Amazing co-worker, terrible management.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire18 May 2018
From what I remember working working at GAME is the amazing co-worker and the terrible management. The co-workers that you work with end up becoming like a second family and where the best thing about the job. You could be having a bad day due to management, customers or out of work things and your co-workers would be there to support you and help you out. The management was the worst part of the job. Terrible hours with no consistency, favouritism on staff members who management got along with, made to feel terrible for selling a ton of items from the store making the company profit but not selling any of the cares that customers just don't want or have hardly any use for, being punished for not doing work outside of work hours despite the fact you're not getting paid to do it (Filling in figures at the end of the day where management are supposed to give you time before your shift ends to do it but never did). Pay was average so nothing to complain about there.
Pros
Co-Workers
fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Colchester17 May 2018
Even though I only spent a short time here due to it being work experience I do feel I gained a lot of insight and knowledge on what I need when it comes to future careers.
Fun but very quiet
Former Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammersmith, Greater London14 May 2018
I worked briefly at this store and the team were great to work with ever since I started. I learnt how to use the till system and I didn't have a lot of knowledge about games at first but I learnt as I worked. The upper management is not the best but the manager at the store was very professional and always helped us.
Pros
discount on games and small discount on consoles
Cons
Not much pay and hours sometimes fluctuated so wasn't steady.
Work Experience
Supporting staff (Former Employee) –  Nottingham City Centre, Nottinghamshire9 May 2018
This was Easy and boring at all times but because i knew about gaming and stuff it made my life way more easier to be completely honest. good job to get into just was not for me
Good learning experience
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire8 May 2018
Just overall good work team and work ethic from everyone. Also was always set clear tasks to do with good time targets as well which didnt pressure you to go fast but also makes it so you cant really slack which was good for the entire team
Pros
Learning
Cons
No money
The good comes with lots of stress
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Various Locations29 April 2018
A great group of people work here however it's often without a thought for the staff turned into a stressful and exhausting environment. Make a plan but don't expect to be able to follow it through and analyse the results.
Pros
Discount on games and consoles
Cons
No direction or structure
Fab people, generally fun workplace
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare23 April 2018
Worked here as a Christmas Temp and the people were brilliant! Everyone had a great sense of humour and the manager was both knowledgeable and extremely approachable.

Day to day work involved reorganising the shelves on the shop floor, approaching customers to offer assistance, serving at the tills, checking pre-owned games / consoles before resale, repricing merchandise etc.

Approaching people could get tedious at times, but the vast majority of people were friendly. It was really rewarding when you helped or had a really good laugh with a customer.

All in all, a pretty decent job.
Pros
Lovely people, some great customers, 20% discount
Cons
Occasional dull shift or horrible customer, but otherwise pretty good
Good work experience
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Leeds15 April 2018
I had to take a 2 week work placement here during college, i enjoyed my stay and was made to feel welcome by the employees. every day i would arrive and assist with deliveries or cleaning, organising etc.
Fast paced but relaxed
Seasonal Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway5 April 2018
Worked at game over Christmas and new year 2015/2016. The hours weren't long and in most cases very many. the team was good fun to work with and if you are looking for a seasonal position GAME would be worth looking at. But as a seasonal member you might not get many hours i found. this may also be due to my distance from the store.
Pros
good staff to work with, great if you love games, good salary.
Cons
low hours
Best retail workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Banbury3 April 2018
Assuming you have some interest in video games this is the best place to work in retail. You'll work with like minded people who share your passions whilst being given the opportunity to be rewarded for your hard work.
Good Place to get a step on the job ladder
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, Lincolnshire26 March 2018
The working day at GAME can be anything, one day it could be a Game launch the next day you could be doing a massive tech trade in. You learn something new every day working within the company and you need to have a good team to support you as if you do not like your team members it can be a lonely place to work.
Pros
Staff Discount, People Orientated Job
Cons
Hours, Job Security, Stress
Great benefits, Tough life
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Orpington26 March 2018
Game offer employees great benefits, however the Regional management structure needs a drastic overhaul to bring it inline with other retail businesses that are succeeding in the market space at the moment. The senior management team seem to be slightly detached from the reality of the market and this causes mass confusion and extra work for the already stretched retail teams.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Long working hours
Fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Braehead23 March 2018
Good hours that fit around college, worked with fun people, work on the floor was easy, easy to pick up the skills needed.
Management was nice, helped me pick up everything easily.
Pros
Get to talk about games, worked with good people
Cons
Temporary position
Lived a dream
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochdale16 March 2018
Always wanted to work there as a kid. Loved it, worked with good people, liked the benefits and was surrounded by my passion. I still cant believe its over.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GAME. Our community is ready to answer.