GallowGlass Employee Reviews

Gallowglass
Crew Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Bristol7 November 2018
Love the job can't fault it at all. Would love to keep pushing myself and work up through the ranks in the buisness. I'm always learning new skills everyday because the jobs you turn up to are always different
Pros
Work in all kinds of different places
Cons
Not guaranteed work everyday
Physical but enjoyable
Rigger (Former Employee) –  Leeds23 March 2018
Working for gallowglass gave me the opportunity to keep physically fit whilst enjoying my work. The staff were great and it felt like a little community.
Worst crewing company
Live Events and Crew Personnel (Former Employee) –  Leeds26 February 2018
I have worked for a few different crewing companies before and understand the it's a very demanding job, but never have I ever worked with a group of people where their main priority is to be the MOST 'macho'.

There's no two days the same at GallowGlass and you do get to meet some fairly nice clients but that is only good thing going for it. Most of your days will involve manual handling, getting up ridiculously early and working in all weather.

One thing I did learn from GallowGlass was that to always be prepared for any job when they ask you to work because management never inform you. You'll get sent some details, turn up and expected to work when you don't have the right equipment, and you'll find out the hard way.

In the past I have worked for other crewing companies and I enjoyed my time with them but not with GallowGlass. If you're 6'5, can lift five steel deck on your own and can prove that you're the most "manly" then this is the job for you. The Majority of my colleagues I worked with were very unpleasant people and horrible to work with. "Crew Chiefs" are also the most laziest and the biggest finger pointers going, and as I said before, if you can't lift more than five steel deck they will be unbearable to you.

It's also a zero hour contract so work is very random. Also management will tell you the potential of what you can earn when you first start, but don't listen they always favour certain people.
Cons
Long hours, Unsociable hours, Zero hour contract, No progression.
Quality Events Company
General Crew (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 February 2018
Hired to set up for a wide range of commercial events resulting in a varied workplace environment. Good level of physical fitness is required. Great for part-time work for students etc.
Hard work and lots of fun
Duty Manager/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 January 2017
Many opportunities await at Gallowglass, No day is the same and there is a good camaraderie amongst the crew.

Be willing to put the hours in (especially over summertime) and get the benefit of being behind the scenes of major movies (007 - Star Wars), theatre productions (Royal Albert Hall), global events (Rugby World Cup & Olympics), and many more.... the list goes on.

Be prepared to work tirelessly, the rewards in terms of work experience are fantastic with a great array of industries and work sectors needing Gallowglass help.
Pros
Variety, the crew, job satisfaction
Cons
Not much work / life balance and renumeration rates in industry are low
Different expereience
Events Crew (Former Employee) –  London1 November 2016
I enjoyed working at Gallowglass as it was a different scene in events work which just consisted of rigging.

The crew members were very polite which made my job a lot better.
Lifting and moving heavy STUFF with mostly nice guys,all weather, poor managers, long hours if any
event service crew member (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh20 June 2016
I worked here for almost 5 months over one summer. While training is fairly good and well organised with good run through of company policy, health and safety procedures etc it soon goes out the window. You are warned its not for everyone with a high percentage of new starts dropping out ( I think this is to cover their backside) and I’m not surprised as it does not prepare you for chaotic work conditions ahead. Expect to having to embrace a brutal zero hours contact. You’re on call 24/7 either being worked like a donkey or being left in the lurch for weeks at a time if you turn any shifts down. You receive little notice on shifts sometimes less than 24 hours. It’s also quite cliquey being popular with rugby “LADS” those close or friendly with managers through their own former rugby playing days or friend network getting priority for work. I eventually had an injury on the job and asking if I could swap to one of the many less physically demanding roles that didn’t involve heavy awkward lifting for the remainder of the day. Thinking this was a fairly logical straight forward ask, ( I had the same skills etc as those not doing the heavy lifting) my manager took the hump, told me to leave the site, and that was it I never heard from them until 2 weeks later to say id been let go…
Pros
outdoorsy
Cons
zero hours contract
Worst job I've ever had
Event Crew (Former Employee) –  London3 May 2016
They do a really good job selling you the job in the interview and induction stage but once you're out working you soon realise you have been sold a lie.

To get work you have to phone the office to see if they have any hours for you so you never know when you will be working one day from the next. Throughout September we were told we were not allowed to book a single day off, not even on the weekend, because they needed you, even if you were only part-time. If you attempt to take a day off they will hound you on the phone and persistently keep ringing you with the threat of you losing your job if you don't reply. The people in the office giving you the hours couldn't care less about your health and safety, they will send you to work with no sleep and tell you "we've all done it, you've just got to suck it up and get on with it".

While they admit that the working hours are unsocial, prepare to live on night buses, they don't explain just how many they will have you working and they have unattainable ideas of the hours you should be doing. On one occasion I was working in Maidstone from 8am to 9pm and received a phone call asking if I wanted to work in London from 10pm-3am, I was already set to work 8am-9pm the next day, but when I told them there would be no way for me to get home and get a sufficient amount of sleep to prepare for the next day, I was told I had to be more committed to the company and find a way next time.

While some of the crew chiefs were professional and nice guys to work with, some really are sound blokes and make the day a lot easier, most were
  more... lazy and couldn't lead the crew properly. On one occasion the crew chief left me and two other new crew members on a big job with no extra help just so he could go to the cinema promising us we'd get extra pay, we never did. On another occasion a crew chief left me, on my third day, constructing a massive set at Olympia so he could have an "extra long lunch" and when I phoned him to get him to sort out a major issue another crew had with his work, he ignored my calls.

I had a very serious family tragedy while working at Gallow and told them I wouldn't be working for a bit to help my family get through it, initially they were caring but after a week they kept emailing me and phoning me despite me making them aware of my situation. This led me to throwing in the job and getting away from the vile company. I know people who work for other event crew companies and while they may pay slightly less, they have had far better experiences than I had with Gallow.

One of my fellow event crew summed up working at Gallow perfectly, "people just work here to find out what they want to actually do with their lives and the rest are thick".
Pros
You get to visit some cool places
Cons
Everything said in the interview/induction is a lie.
Hardworking environment
Equipment Technician/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Scotland (No particular places; all over)29 July 2015
No two days were the same, pretty much every shift was entirely different; even if we had been working with a particular company more than once, the work was never the same.

Even though the hours were sometimes really long, my workmates made it all the more pleasant. There was never a dull moment.

The hardest part of the job was waking up sometimes with 4 hours sleep and having to endure at least a 12 hour shift until you could recharge your batterries - sometimes it was 16+.
Pros
Meeting some really nice people and working with some good guys.
Cons
Long Hours
Flexible hours, hard physical labour
Crew member (Current Employee) –  Manchester/Birmingham23 July 2013
Get up early to get to the meeting point. Travel to where we will be working as a group. Start work, normally consists of moving equipment, setting up the equipment or taking equipment down and packing it up.
Pros
Paid for call no matter how early the work is finished.
Cons
Unsociable hours.
ok to work for
crew member (Former Employee) –  london13 February 2013
was okay to work for at times but majority it was not the best company they expect u to have no life and as it was casual work u was expected to take every job they gave no matter the time but when u needed work and had to ring them for work it was hard to get given jobs
Pros
alot of diffeant work learnt new things everday
Cons
long hours no social life and pay wasnt that great
A typical day on the Olympics
Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Olympic sites12 January 2013
When i was working for my last job at gallowglass we was mostly working on the the Olympic sites. Early start in the morning mainly 10 hour shifts with a lunch break and a 6 man crew. Our job was to prepare the site for the Olympic horse shows, we had to lay permovoid (type of plastic box) and layed about 3 inches of sand over them purpose being so the horses can walk to and from the main arena, we dido this throughout the the whole of Greenwich Park and that was mainly wat i was doing till the Olympics were finished.

There was alot of shoveling, digging and moving heavy objects around the site as well as setting the icon displays for the Olympics everywhere, pretty heavy and tough work but we worked together in pairs daily to get the job done quicker and more efficient.

Other duties included driving the site buggy's to and from the compound with tools and equipment in the back, banksman the diggers and other site vehicles, assisting site tradesmen

To be honest the best part of the job other then seeing Bolt was the lunch break because after 5 hours of what we was doing we need e to refuel.
Pros
free ppe
Cons
unstable hours
Rewarding
Event Crew (Current Employee) –  All over London11 October 2012
Gallowglass is a great company to work for with great benefits, such as, meeting new people each time you go to work, as we are put into crews for particular jobs. Meeting new clients, which allowed me to work with diverse work groups, giving me the opportunity to work on my interpersonal skills.

Many personal targets to achieve, such as moving up the hierachy, also, team targets, such as tight deadlines.

I was based at the Olympic Park, and other Olympic sites, such as Greenwich Park, and the O2. Working for various clients, such as Icon, or GL. I learnt the value of hard work and perseverance in light of deadlines and unpredictable occurences, such as the weather, or late deliveries.

The hardest part of the job was the physical work, but i began to thrive upon it, using it as a challenge.

This role was exciting as i had an insight into the Olympic games, and some of my personal work was visible to millions of people spectating at the games, or at home watching on television, which makes me proud. I also bonded and built relationships with both co-workers and clients.
Pros
olympic games, relationships built, personal growth
Cons
not so many jobs available since olympic work finished