GallowGlass

GallowGlass Employee Reviews

United Kingdom21 reviews
Sometimes the days are tough but you get a sense of achievement from being able to see a job through to completion. Additionally there are opportunities to advance up through the company.
Been working for Gallowglass for over 3 years this summer and I love it. Working in events can be challenging and rewarding at the same time. You get see some spectacular sights... Come and join us to understand.
Gallowglass is a very good start for someone who don't have much experience yet want to work in events industry.
You start as a Pbc (probation period), after around 3months (if you have a good feedback about your work) you can be promoted to Gen (general), then after that is Gen2, Elite, Elite2, CC (crew chief).

Company is investing in their crew members by sending them to courses. One of the leading companies within industry.
Some good people there. very macho, more for the younger generation. Most staff are treated with contempt. Expect you to work upto 12 hours a day and because it is zero hour contract you are not guaranteed work every day and sometimes you may have to wait a week.
The positives is that it got more physically and mentally stronger and some of the events i was involved in was a great experience
my only thing is the unstable wage, one moth I made £2000 and the next month id earn £300 your paid by how many hours you do and the work just isn't always there...howver most of the summer is blooming and theres loads of work so if you can have two jobs it works great!
There's no work/life balance and your expected to accept all work even if the hours are illegal, your better off being self employed because if you dare turn down work you'll either be given terrible hours or none for an extended period of time
Has a lot of to offer for people who would like to work as backstage crew. Hard to start and adapt at first, but really depends on what kind of people you start working with.
Privileged to have worked on the Olympic and Paralympic opening ceremonies in London 2012. The job was mundane and often laborious, but it got me fit and gave me an opportunity to see something most people never do.
Love the job can't fault it at all. Would love to keep pushing myself and work up through the ranks in the buisness. I'm always learning new skills everyday because the jobs you turn up to are always different
Pros
Work in all kinds of different places
Cons
Not guaranteed work everyday
Working 12 hour shifts 4-7 days a week sometimes 12+ if you need to stay back because someone cancelled.
They do events and site security

A normal day in site security is to arrive on time, sign in and check the building.

Do patrols and report anything that look suspicious.

A normal day at events. Have a briefing with the team leader, go to allocated position and man the area securely.

Most of the security officers are eastern european so you get to learn a few words.

It gets busy in winter time but its usually quiet early in the year.
Pros
Some sites are easy
Cons
Have to open a limited company
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at GallowGlass?
Working for gallowglass gave me the opportunity to keep physically fit whilst enjoying my work. The staff were great and it felt like a little community.
I have worked for a few different crewing companies before and understand the it's a very demanding job, but never have I ever worked with a group of people where their main priority is to be the MOST 'macho'.

There's no two days the same at GallowGlass and you do get to meet some fairly nice clients but that is only good thing going for it. Most of your days will involve manual handling, getting up ridiculously early and working in all weather.

One thing I did learn from GallowGlass was that to always be prepared for any job when they ask you to work because management never inform you. You'll get sent some details, turn up and expected to work when you don't have the right equipment, and you'll find out the hard way.

In the past I have worked for other crewing companies and I enjoyed my time with them but not with GallowGlass. If you're 6'5, can lift five steel deck on your own and can prove that you're the most "manly" then this is the job for you. The Majority of my colleagues I worked with were very unpleasant people and horrible to work with. "Crew Chiefs" are also the most laziest and the biggest finger pointers going, and as I said before, if you can't lift more than five steel deck they will be unbearable to you.

It's also a zero hour contract so work is very random. Also management will tell you the potential of what you can earn when you first start, but don't listen they always favour certain people.
Cons
Long hours, Unsociable hours, Zero hour contract, No progression.
Hired to set up for a wide range of commercial events resulting in a varied workplace environment. Good level of physical fitness is required. Great for part-time work for students etc.
Many opportunities await at Gallowglass, No day is the same and there is a good camaraderie amongst the crew.

Be willing to put the hours in (especially over summertime) and get the benefit of being behind the scenes of major movies (007 - Star Wars), theatre productions (Royal Albert Hall), global events (Rugby World Cup & Olympics), and many more.... the list goes on.

Be prepared to work tirelessly, the rewards in terms of work experience are fantastic with a great array of industries and work sectors needing Gallowglass help.
Pros
Variety, the crew, job satisfaction
Cons
Not much work / life balance and renumeration rates in industry are low
I enjoyed working at Gallowglass as it was a different scene in events work which just consisted of rigging.

The crew members were very polite which made my job a lot better.
I worked here for almost 5 months over one summer. While training is fairly good and well organised with good run through of company policy, health and safety procedures etc it soon goes out the window. You are warned its not for everyone with a high percentage of new starts dropping out ( I think this is to cover their backside) and I’m not surprised as it does not prepare you for chaotic work conditions ahead. Expect to having to embrace a brutal zero hours contact. You’re on call 24/7 either being worked like a donkey or being left in the lurch for weeks at a time if you turn any shifts down. You receive little notice on shifts sometimes less than 24 hours. It’s also quite cliquey being popular with rugby “LADS” those close or friendly with managers through their own former rugby playing days or friend network getting priority for work. I eventually had an injury on the job and asking if I could swap to one of the many less physically demanding roles that didn’t involve heavy awkward lifting for the remainder of the day. Thinking this was a fairly logical straight forward ask, ( I had the same skills etc as those not doing the heavy lifting) my manager took the hump, told me to leave the site, and that was it I never heard from them until 2 weeks later to say id been let go…
Pros
outdoorsy
Cons
zero hours contract
They do a really good job selling you the job in the interview and induction stage but once you're out working you soon realise you have been sold a lie.

To get work you have to phone the office to see if they have any hours for you so you never know when you will be working one day from the next. Throughout September we were told we were not allowed to book a single day off, not even on the weekend, because they needed you, even if you were only part-time. If you attempt to take a day off they will hound you on the phone and persistently keep ringing you with the threat of you losing your job if you don't reply. The people in the office giving you the hours couldn't care less about your health and safety, they will send you to work with no sleep and tell you "we've all done it, you've just got to suck it up and get on with it".

While they admit that the working hours are unsocial, prepare to live on night buses, they don't explain just how many they will have you working and they have unattainable ideas of the hours you should be doing. On one occasion I was working in Maidstone from 8am to 9pm and received a phone call asking if I wanted to work in London from 10pm-3am, I was already set to work 8am-9pm the next day, but when I told them there would be no way for me to get home and get a sufficient amount of sleep to prepare for the next day, I was told I had to be more committed to the company and find a way next time.

While some of the crew chiefs were professional and nice guys to work with, some really are sound blokes and make the day a lot easier, most were
 - more...
Pros
You get to visit some cool places
Cons
Everything said in the interview/induction is a lie.
No two days were the same, pretty much every shift was entirely different; even if we had been working with a particular company more than once, the work was never the same.

Even though the hours were sometimes really long, my workmates made it all the more pleasant. There was never a dull moment.

The hardest part of the job was waking up sometimes with 4 hours sleep and having to endure at least a 12 hour shift until you could recharge your batterries - sometimes it was 16+.
Pros
Meeting some really nice people and working with some good guys.
Cons
Long Hours
Get up early to get to the meeting point. Travel to where we will be working as a group. Start work, normally consists of moving equipment, setting up the equipment or taking equipment down and packing it up.
Pros
Paid for call no matter how early the work is finished.
Cons
Unsociable hours.
was okay to work for at times but majority it was not the best company they expect u to have no life and as it was casual work u was expected to take every job they gave no matter the time but when u needed work and had to ring them for work it was hard to get given jobs
Pros
alot of diffeant work learnt new things everday
Cons
long hours no social life and pay wasnt that great
Gallowglass is a great company to work for with great benefits, such as, meeting new people each time you go to work, as we are put into crews for particular jobs. Meeting new clients, which allowed me to work with diverse work groups, giving me the opportunity to work on my interpersonal skills.

Many personal targets to achieve, such as moving up the hierachy, also, team targets, such as tight deadlines.

I was based at the Olympic Park, and other Olympic sites, such as Greenwich Park, and the O2. Working for various clients, such as Icon, or GL. I learnt the value of hard work and perseverance in light of deadlines and unpredictable occurences, such as the weather, or late deliveries.

The hardest part of the job was the physical work, but i began to thrive upon it, using it as a challenge.

This role was exciting as i had an insight into the Olympic games, and some of my personal work was visible to millions of people spectating at the games, or at home watching on television, which makes me proud. I also bonded and built relationships with both co-workers and clients.
Pros
olympic games, relationships built, personal growth
Cons
not so many jobs available since olympic work finished