GAIL's Employee Reviews

I would avoide
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 March 2019
Worked at GAIL’s for a year now. Very demanding. Awful management. Stressful at all times, no one seems to know what there doing. The management are rude and don’t listen. Our shop is very busy and we run out of bags! basic things that if managed properly could be easily avoided. Some colleges are rude and aggressive- when speaking to my manager they did nothing. Everything is a lie - never any team nights out and no work life balance as the shifts start as early as 5am and as late as 8pm in 9 hour shifts no one has a life after thoughts hours. They also put you on 8pm shifts and then the next day 5am shifts. You cant do anything right. They say you can grow in the business I have been there for a year and nothing- other staff have been there longer and nothing. No pay rises.
Limited staff lunch
Pros
Other staff members
Cons
Most things
Extremely inept management.
Shift manager (Former Employee) –  London17 March 2019
Had the worst experience. The food is amazing and the company could do really well, but it is completely spoilt buy teams formed of spoiled kids who are beyond unprofessional andextremely careless management.
bien
Barista (Former Employee) –  londres15 March 2019
Durante mi tiempo en esta empresa todo estuvo muy bien.
Pros
horas flexibles
Cons
los clientes
Fun workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bankside, Greater London23 February 2019
Great benefits. Co workers are great but depends on which branch you work at. Long hours and gets really hectic during rush hours. Overall a great and fun place to work at for a first job.
Pros
Free lunches
Ok
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Balham, Greater London8 February 2019
not the greatest, free food is a plus. However you're either over worked or under-worked. A lot expected of people working for this company. fast paced .
Pros
free food
Cons
poor management
Not bad, nice food
Baker/Stuff member (Former Employee) –  London30 January 2019
Generally work conditions are not poor, but quality of managment in my chain was poor maybe is better in other shops. It is very hard job from monday to sunday.
Avoid this company
TM (Former Employee) –  Tottenham Court Road22 January 2019
Nothing else just lots of promises!!! Managers don’t know what they are actually doing. 1 man doing the job of 3 people. They are saying you’ll get 20 min breaks but most likely you won’t get anything wheter you working 12h in row!!! They keep lying and promising it’s disgusting!!! And at the end they’ll answer is this:

But they still don’t care!! SLAVERS!!
Workplace environment
Team member (breadhead) (Current Employee) –  Wanstead9 January 2019
Working at Gail's brings a new challenge every shift, however the atmosphere in which I work in is a very fun one. It allows you to have fun whilst you get the desired work done. The hardest part of the job was learning the right customer service skills and how to handle someone not being completely satisfied, but the team are very good at building your confidence and helping you handle situations you did not feel comfortable in at first. The most enjoyable part is working with all the lovely staff.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Worst workplace in over 15 years hospitality experience
Leader (Former Employee) –  North London, Greater London28 November 2018
This company is a complete mess. It is growing faster than it can keep up with itself, and all standards are being lost. The few good employees are doing the job for 3 people, working to the point of exhaustion. Therefore customer service standards are slipping, food quality is slipping, the whole company is slipping.

Greed of expansion overtaking what they claim are their values “community, baking, each other, a job well done.”.None are being upheld. The wages are minimum wage, whilst the job is above and beyond that. Staff are running for the hills and so are customers. Quite rightly. It takes a long time to build a reputation and only seconds to lose it.

Zero support from management, and staff left flailing. Yet blame placed on the staff and not the organisation if something is to ever go wrong. Money being invested into the rouse, so that’s gails can tick all the right boxes, so that to the outside world all appears to be good. It’s all a smoke screen.

Hospitality is a tough industry, but there is usually a sense of being in a team and working together, warts and all. Not at Gail’s. Gail’s is a world of lies - lying to its customers, lying to its staff, lying about support and benefits when none is ever given. When you ask for help you are just told to “find a way,” and abandoned.

A selfish, ungrateful, disgrace of a company.
10 December 2018

We're sorry to read that this is your perception of your time at GAIL's Bakery. We do pride ourselves on living by our values which in most cases we are very pleased to say we do; we're sorry we fell short in your experience.
We pay higher than minimum wage and we have a great variety of benefits for our teams to enjoy.
If you have anything you'd like to discuss please do feel free to contact us on gailspeople@gailsbread.co.uk. Otherwise we wish you all the best for the future.

Avoid this company for 100%
Team Member (Former Employee) –  North London, Greater London12 November 2018
Don't work there!
They work you as a donkey for unbelievable low wages!
they said you the first face customers see in the morning and expecting you to be cheerful for unbelievable low money and waking up at 4 am to you can be there at 6 am!
As a team member you spend most of your day washing dishes and picking up dirty dishes, plus at the end you clean all store by yourself.
And on the top, you have to go all these Health and Safety training like you train for FBI!
Worst company ever!
No wonder they always looking for a people to work there!
There is better places to work for minimum wage than Gails!
10 December 2018

We're sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations. We are very proud to pay higher rates than the minimum wage to our Breadheads (all displayed on our job adverts) and offer a wide range of benefits for our teams to enjoy.

We do ask all potential employees to do an experience shift with us during the recruitment process to give people a taste of what life at GAIL's is like - we are often very busy as we are a local favourite in the neighbourhoods we reside in!
If there is anything else you'd like to discuss please get in touch with gailspeople@gailsbread.co.uk

fun workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Chiswick, Greater London8 November 2018
perfect job for people that love multitasking, fast-paced team and they are all about team working. You get to know many people of around the world. You can easily communicate with the managers in case you need something or something happened. They can easily sort out them out for you. They are pretty flexible with the working hours and happy that you chose their company to work.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
a bit stressful some times
10 December 2018

Thanks so much for your feedback - wonderful to read! We agree that if you love working as part of a team then GAIL's is a great place to work.
We're also really pleased that we can offer a variety of shift patterns which our teams love.

Worst company I have worked for
Barista (Former Employee) –  Notting Hill17 October 2018
I have previously worked for large chains such as McDonald’s and Pret A Manger and can safely say this job has been the most difficult and unrewarding.

Our shifts either start at 5am and end at 4pm or 10am until 8:30pm. That’s an 11 hour shift with a 20 minute break. To add, there is no staff room to escape the busy atmosphere so most of the time we a scrambling for a seat with the customers. The store is 2 floors big and there is only 2 customer toilets available to customers AND staff. So usually on a break you choose whether to queue for the toilet or eat.

We would usually get our rota for the next week the day before the week actually starts. Which to me, is the most unprofessional aspect. Everyone would be waiting until Sunday to know whether they should be coming into work the next day!!

Also when I was harassed at work multiple times I went to the Manager and nothing changed.

So I left. I’m a hard worker who is loyal to whatever company I work for and this is the first company that I felt didn’t value any of their staff.
Pros
Free lunch, free coffee, no uniform
Cons
Long hours, 20 minutes break, no staff room or toilet, late rota
10 December 2018

We're sorry to read that this was your experience during your time at GAIL's Bakery. If you wanted to get in touch and provide us more information on your feedback the best way to contact us is gailspeople@gailsbread.co.uk

Rip off
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 October 2018
Restricted staff food policy. Underpaid staff. Lots of food waste (despite that say that they give food surplus to charity).

All team members and managers are frustrated due to the working conditions. No tips distributed to staff in the 6 months I have been working for them.

Pretty much all the perks advertised turned out to be fake. The easy feeling vibe they are trying to offer the customer is at the expense of everyone else involved: frustrated drivers, frustrated front of house, overworked bakers.

Position: team leader
Pros
Offer health and safety certificates level 2 and 1
Cons
Food waste, restricted staff food, bad working conditions, understaffed, rude managers, rude customers
Growing company, hospitality but no late evening work!
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 August 2018
I love working for GAIL's as the people are really friendly and approachable. There has been lots of change over the last 12 months, loads of new things which has been busy(!) but cool! Lots of training options in now and I think we're getting new tills as there is a trial happening at the moment which will be great - we are on iPads now which aren't that bad tbh but something better is always good. GAIL's is growing and lots of my colleagues have been progressing up which is nice to see - I love my team, it's so true that people work for people! I love that GAIL's quality won't drop like some of my friends in other companies moan about as they lose pride in their job a bit which I'm really passionate about so not worrying that the quality of the product decreasing is a big plus.
Pros
Free food, people, quality of the product, paid breaks, no late evenings, most GAIL's don't serve alcohol
Career development, fun workplace, life balanced
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 August 2018
I am being working for more than 4 years and this company is giving everything I always wanted! Great career opportunities, life balanced and great teams! Also premium freshly baked food everyday to die for. I don’t see myself elsewhere than Gails
Pros
Career development
30 August 2018

Thanks so much for your feedback - it's great to read and we're so happy you're part of our team!

Fastpaced
Customer Service and Hospitality (Former Employee) –  Balham18 August 2018
This is a fast paced environment to work in, great to start off but you only get one 20 minute break on your shift, which isn't really enough time to eat or anything.
Pros
free food
30 August 2018

Thanks so much for your feedback! It is correct that for a 6 hour shift you get a 20 min break to eat. Don't forget unlike a lot of other companies, we pay our teams for this break rather than it being unpaid as this is something we choose to do - also the food is on us too! There is such a thing as a free lunch after all! :) from GAIL's.

Good company but managers and tips are a major issue
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London8 August 2018
I have worked at gails for two summers. I never received any of my tips. The company is great and it was a pleasure to work for them. But they're management needs to be looked into. I watched fellow workers walk home with my tips and was made to feel less worthy of them because I only worked there in the summer months. For that reason I would not recommend working there or would never return.
Pros
Food and information provided by the company
Cons
Understaffed and tips taken away from me
30 August 2018

Thanks so much for your feedback. I believe that what you experienced is far from typical and we're sorry to read that this was your experience. If you're able to provide details we'd really appreciate it by emailing gailspeople@gailsbread.co.uk thanks!

great opportunites for development
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London28 July 2018
its busy environment but you always have time to talk to customers and they are lovely :-)

very fast growing - lots of opportunities to learn and grow

open 7-7 - never finish late at night and they pay decent money
Pros
pay, food, fun, local customers, very flexible
30 August 2018

Thanks for your feedback - you're right - we believe that our customers day can be made amazing but the experience they receive in their local bakery! We are also really proud to say that we are in hospitality but can offer our teams much more sociable hours due to our closing times not being late evening

The best workplace
Leader (Current Employee) –  Putney, Greater London16 July 2018
Gail’s is a perfect place to start career at hospitality.
Beautiful food,lovely people, wonderful benefits.
We could have a little bit more time to rest on our break.
Nothing more!
Pros
perbox, free lunch, 40%discount
Cons
short break
Amazing people and workplace !
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chelsea, Greater London13 July 2018
I used to work in Gails, unfortunately I had to go back to my country. I will always remember this place as my second family , thanks to team and manager I didnt feel homesickness, what was really important for me!
Pros
Amazing people, good work environment
24 August 2018

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback! Look us up next time you're back!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GAIL's. Our community is ready to answer.

GAIL's Reviews by Location