G4S Employee Reviews

Found 1,093 reviews matching the search See all 10,122 reviews
Lots of friendly colleagues
Steward (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands2 August 2018
Colleagues are great to work with but management are a little too tense and stressed at times which does bring down the overall mood of the team. This can be very demotivating.
So-so
Area Relief Court Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester23 April 2018
Used to work for them as an Area Relief Security Officer. As long as I worked in local courts it was alright however once asked to travel to the complete opposite site of my area (sometimes 30+miles journey one way) it was nightmare. Mostly because of traffic as well as costs of petrol. At one point I was asked to work like that for 2 weeks and what is the best: some idiots in the office who were planning that put another relief officer from the other area to work in mine instead of keeping us close to our sites! So I was travelling 60 miles a day and the other guy was doing the same from the other side! Wouldn't do that job again purely because of incompetence of staff from the main office!
Pros
Good lads to work with
Cons
Brainless main office staff
it was good company.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester.7 November 2018
IT was good that i worked with G4S company.and also have good workers.

The company pays on time,and also keep to there rules.

The G4S company booked my shifts on time.
Cons
It is certainly not a fun place to work, having to deal on a regular basis of many people who suffer mental breakdowns
Customer care officer (Current Employee) –  Bromley jobcentre8 June 2018
Overall there is a lack of understanding of the security officers needs, working and personal life. Working in jobcentres, is very tiring, even so, the breaks are paid, but very limited time off for lunch breaks, embarrassing having to finish off eating on floor , place of work, on many occasions.
Pros
Job Monday to Friday
Cons
Very poor pay
Workplace and Company culture.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Reading Station, Berkshire23 September 2017
Although while working at G4S it had its perks and a steady paycheck, it was not a career based role. There were no opportunities to grow and develop. Also hard to maintain a good work life balance.
Pros
Travel Benefits
Cons
No social life
Great team
Officer (Current Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset28 August 2018
4 days on 4 days off gives you family life but if you want overtime its easy to get.

Good job prospect.

Very large team; you work within a shift.

30 days holiday.
Cons
Longs hours
Fun
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  East Sussex6 June 2018
This role was extremely challenging at times, dealing with all types of different people in various places including lewes prison and Brighton job centre.
Pros
Good colleagues
Awful
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tewkesbury27 September 2018
Shoddy work ethic and awful staff who just ruin the company with their awful standards and no fuel allowance and really strict with everything. Really hated it
Great colleagues
Recruitment Officer (Former Employee) –  Gloucester28 August 2018
Great people to work with across a number of contracts and locations. Variety of positions available though this does depend on where you are living.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Little opportunity to advance
Great Job
Safety Steward (Current Employee) –  Scotland12 July 2018
They are very friendly and welcoming to new members of staff and are understanding of any problems or worries that you may have. I have learned how to be more confident when talking to larger groups. the most enjoyable part about the job is seeing the crowds enjoyment that you have managed to help them throughout the day.
Good employer
Manager (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland26 February 2018
Typical day at work is 100mph. The experience gained in customer and employee management was invaluable. Management is, as for any multinational focused on performance and growth. Workplace culture is friendly and customer KPI driven. Hardest part of the job is to balance customer expectations with service delivery practicalities. Most enjoyable part of the job is the people, interacting with both customers and employees.
Pros
Freedom to be out and about
Cons
Driving up to 800 miles per week
Prison custody officer
Prison custody officer (Former Employee) –  West Midlands5 August 2018
Training good lots of overtime . some helpful staff but not enough staff to keep safe . and due to staff alot leaving because when you start theres no direction or suppoet of the experianced staff i have now left due to safety issues and lack of support
Pros
Teaining good
Cons
Staff
Least capable company ever worked for.
MANAGER - Corporate banking contract (Former Employee) –  London28 August 2018
Company strategy has no obvious flexibility and therefore doesn't work well in environments not fully controlled by the company. Support is weak for employees.
Secure driver (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent1 November 2018
Been working here for 3 years, starting with the managment going to collegues, everyone is very polite and professional.
Really good job and awsome conditions.
Good part time job for students
Event Steward (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh5 April 2017
To work here full time however is impossible. Constantly made to stand on feet for hours upon end without break, being shouted at by management if you sit, even if it is not in the view of the public. There are development opportunities but they also force a mandatory college course that takes 3 months to complete (FOR A ZERO HOUR CONTRACT) that offers no pay benefits, other than the fact that they can refuse you work if you don't complete it.
Pros
can select when to work
Cons
long hours, low pay, management issues, work rights abused
Long hours and under paid - dont be fooled
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend13 December 2016
•Never know when your shift ends
•Really under staffed
•No support once your trained
•for the responsibilities you have the salary is poor

I left my job of 5 years for this company thinking i could make a career for myself- how wrong was i.
When you work over your hours (lock downs) you dont get them back in lieu or paid to you!
This is a really stressful job and its made worse by the poor management/leadership and how unsupported you are.

The staff retension is awful so that should say enough in itself
Pros
Training provided was enjoyable
Cons
Long hours underpaid and poor leadership
Not good
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire18 July 2018
Worked at same place nearly 3 years as a cleaner awful atmosphere with co worker.bad line manager.critisism uncalled for. Job ok but not given enough time to do everything.expected too much for too little.i left after 3 years.had enough.worst company i have ever had the misfortune to work for.
Pros
Cons
Just awful
Aro west of scotland
ARO (Current Employee) –  GLasgow, Stirling, Edinburgh everywhere2 December 2016
As someone who works as an ARO on the DWP contract, I find it hard to believe people who say this is a good company. I have never heard anyone praise it and everyone moans about the managers and working conditions and pay.... It is low pay standing for 8hours a day like a robot... Never ask for a holiday cos you have little chance of getting it or wait until the day before. You are sent all over the west of Scotland with no travel money and sometimes promised a days pay to get a couple of hours..... If I could get better I would leave... But I need the poor money..... If it was about 10pounds an hour job satisfaction may be better.. But when you have lazy officers who won't travel and others moving everywhere it's no fun.. AVOID
Pros
15th of month... Pay day
Cons
Staying around, travel, poor pay and holidays if you get them!
Not for me
North Tyneside Customer Service and Admin (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear2 February 2018
I can see some people really loving working here but I found the fact that it was very target driven to be quite difficult. I was put on a team that had an insane amount of work to be done on a daily basis and found it really hard to keep up with things, there was so much information handed to me and although I was given a day of training it really wasn't enough and I felt very much like I was drowning in the work. The staff were overall nice but it seemed to me to be a fairly cliquey type environment, and so that along with how busy you were meant it was difficult to form any kind of work relationship unless you already knew people there, which I didnt. I found that the management was not very supportive or understanding, but that they were very favourable to the members of staff that the liked.
Fun
Steward/Security (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire17 July 2018
This job allowed me to show my responsibility skills as the employer sometimes put me as a leader of certain places in stadium to keep everything running smoothly. I've stopped fight and stopped individuals from causing problems which shows that if I'm given a job I shall complete it to a high standard.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.

52.6K