G4S Employee Reviews

Found 1,064 reviews matching the search See all 8,905 reviews
Awful!, management very poor. No communication,
Security gaurd (Former Employee) –  Bwsc, sandwhich in kent11 March 2018
Firstly regret working for G4s in the first place. The site I worked on was ridiculous and there was to many promises made to the client with out my manager being able to back them up. Which meant because he would never answer the phone, the static guards took the brunt off it. My managers were awful and ignored any calls and never backed you up. I had two work place injuries and they were also ignored. So if any one is ever offered a job please say thank you but no. Worst company I have worked for and worst management I have ever dealt with. All lie and and refuse to communicate with there staff.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, no communication, management promising things they can't do and then it's taken out on us by the client.
Poor equipment
Cash in Transit Driver (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 March 2018
The vans are hopeless, if you go a week without breaking down its an achievement, equipment is hopeless. Poor management. The only good thing is the other drivers, most days are between 10-12hrs but it's a dying trade with all the bank closures. Greedy Shareholders won't release money for new vans/equipment only going to get worse.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks
Cons
Dying trade, getting your head kicked in for £11.50 an hour
some times
Security Officer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham6 March 2018
working as a security officer at the hospital was quite rewarding at times because you get to meet all kinds of people patients visitors public sector ie police fire brigade top surgeons n h s management and estates but as a contractor our management was never to be seen when you needed them and had to make decisions but most of the time wasn't the right ones and was punished for your actions
Pros
Cons
some times
workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke2 March 2018
I always try to keep a positive attitude to show how much I enjoy my job. Every day I come to work with a smile on my face. I am constantly congratulating others on their successes. When others need encouragement, I try and motivate them to keep improving. I try to keep an even demeanour through both good times and bad. My constant energy helps others keep their “enthusiasm” – both positive and negative. One of my strengths is that I keep my managers and co-workers informed of my work progress. When working with customers, I clearly communicate with them in order to provide the best customer service possible.
Pros
free tea
Cons
more overtime
Busy,no timre for fun
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Winchester2 March 2018
Didn't really stay long enough to form much of an opinion nothing much more I can say,guarding ,an IT,premises in Winchester,providing a visible presence,around the campus 24 hours a day
Pros
None really
good work experience
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  London26 February 2018
A good place to work, I managed to meet lovely people and some amazing individual with vision and talent. working with the4 company help me a lot in management aspect of it.
Good employer
Manager (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland26 February 2018
Typical day at work is 100mph. The experience gained in customer and employee management was invaluable. Management is, as for any multinational focused on performance and growth. Workplace culture is friendly and customer KPI driven. Hardest part of the job is to balance customer expectations with service delivery practicalities. Most enjoyable part of the job is the people, interacting with both customers and employees.
Pros
Freedom to be out and about
Cons
Driving up to 800 miles per week
n/a
Security guard (Current Employee) –  Crawley24 February 2018
company is very strict but you have a lot of opportunitys within the company for different positions. what I enjoy is dealing with incidents and writing reports. Hardest part can be going to court as a witness to a incident
Pros
can take lunch whenever
Cons
too many days to work
A very busy arena which encourages team work and cross fertilisation of ideas.
SIA Licensed Security/Safety Steward (Current Employee) –  Glasgow22 February 2018
A typical day at work is defined by safety and security briefs, and the assigning of staff members to various tasks, which must be executed in a professional manner. I have learned that I must be vigilant and pay attention to detail as a security officer/steward. The management is desirous of sharpening the skills of the staff members by ensuring they attend relevant courses on safety and security with reputable organisations overseeing the courses. The work culture is excellent as it is collaborative. The hardest part of the job is being assigned to oversee areas that could expose one to the inclement weather, however everyone is encouraged to kit up well to cushion the adverse effect of the weather. The most enjoyable part of the job is ensuring that the job is executed in a professional manner while dealing with clients or spectators trying to access the Hall or event centre. Assisting clients or spectators in a very polite and courteous manner, without compromising fundamental principles is very interesting.
Pros
Provision of buses to staff members who are scheduled to work in distant places outside Glasgow.
Cons
At times you encounter spectators/clients/customers, who are rude and discourteous
Appalling Management
Trainer (Former Employee) –  UK21 February 2018
Seriously badly focused managers. The department I worked for provided Learning and Development to a public sector organisation. The management in the past 18 months has been appalling, so much so that I have left to take a new position that pays less with fewer benefits. My 13 plus years experience amounted to nothing. The management do nothing to inspire, enthuse, motivate or encourage their staff. The majority of the staff are unappreciated and left exhausted. I have viewed many disappointments in leadership with G4S - this is another. A poster I read said “Employees don’t leave jobs, they leave managers”. This is so true as the ones I worked for have driven and are driving many hard working staff away.
Pros
Good examples of bad management to tell people about.
Cons
Poor management.

Want to know more about G4S?

Ask a question
g4s as a company do not look after their staff very well
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Sheffield21 February 2018
g4s as a whole are a company that does not value the staff they have. they do not offer feedback to how well they are doing nor do they take duty of care towards their staff
Pros
the pros are working at events that you may never get to otherwise
Cons
long hours, being contacted short notice, being expected to drop everything at a moments notice
Good helpful management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Hayes, Greater London21 February 2018
I enjoyed working with them they helped me me learn new things but also helped me on a personal level wen I had a tough time im my personal life very supportive.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Some management issues
terrible company to work for
Prisoner Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Glasgow20 February 2018
Very high staff turnover due to lack of mmanagement skills, not a manager between any of them. No work life balance, forced overtime and bullying. No care and No justice towards staff. Wages are always wrong, that's if you get paid them. Drivers forced to break the EU driving rules on a daily basis. Runs off the 'pals act', if your face fits.
Cons
forced overtime, bullying, wrong wages, no work life balance
Fun Workplace
Contract Accountant (Current Employee) –  Sutton, Greater London17 February 2018
I started at G4S with very little knowledge of accounting but in time developed a wide understanding of accounting and the process that are involved. I had a very helpful and understanding managers who not only made me feel like part of a family. The job was very flexible in that you can work from home. However I felt there is no real progression and they tend to hire from outside rather than promote from within.
Pros
Working From Home and Fantastic and very understanding managers
Cons
No real progression
not great working enviroment
Second Line Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire17 February 2018
Full installation and maintenance of ATM machines for Tesco, NatWest, RBS, Lloyds Bank and Halifax. ATM models supported were Wincor 1500, 2000 range and NCR 5000, 6000 range. Completed full Wincor and NCR courses and gained hands training. Also upgrades from old to new platforms mainly XP and support for engineers when required. Meet break/fix deadlines on a continuous day to day basis, covering agreed customer SLA’s.
Unacceptable and illegal working practices.
Secure Care Officer (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes16 February 2018
Unacceptable and illegal working practices. Officer safety is minimal with risk of assault very high.
Officers expected to work 15 hour shifts with no break.
Management very poor and unprofessional towards staff.
On occasion staff are refused permission to leave after shift basically held against their will.
Staff treatment poor and often suspended without justification.
Food inedible and unhygienic.
Recent Ofsted report stated centre was WHOLLY INADEQUATE and deteriorating.
Nothing more to be said then that!
Pros
Time off and salary.
Cons
15hr+ shifts, no proper break, no personal safety, assaults on staff.
Good comradeship
Driver (Current Employee) –  Midlands10 February 2018
Hours are aweful, start 3 4 or 5 am. Work to many weekends. Disciplinaries given out out like penny lollies. Workload too heavy & unrealistic. Vehicles and equipment unreliable.
Pros
Paid breaks.
Cons
Early starts, heavy workload, inefficient poor management.
Very good company to work for.
Security Manager (Current Employee) –  East Sussex7 February 2018
G4S is a very good company to work for, they look after their employees, their careers and their welfare.
ok to work for
Care Officer (Current Employee) –  Suffolk4 February 2018
its an ok company to work for I am mainly left alone by management and they are contactable. However they are not very flexible to your needs leave needs to be booked a year in advance if you want it
Pros
left alone by management
Cons
no flexibility
Not for me
North Tyneside Customer Service and Admin (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear2 February 2018
I can see some people really loving working here but I found the fact that it was very target driven to be quite difficult. I was put on a team that had an insane amount of work to be done on a daily basis and found it really hard to keep up with things, there was so much information handed to me and although I was given a day of training it really wasn't enough and I felt very much like I was drowning in the work. The staff were overall nice but it seemed to me to be a fairly cliquey type environment, and so that along with how busy you were meant it was difficult to form any kind of work relationship unless you already knew people there, which I didnt. I found that the management was not very supportive or understanding, but that they were very favourable to the members of staff that the liked.