G4S Employee Reviews

Fun
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  East Sussex6 June 2018
This role was extremely challenging at times, dealing with all types of different people in various places including lewes prison and Brighton job centre.
Pros
Good colleagues
Great Company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Rotherham26 May 2018
A very fast paced company but is very focused on giving opportunities to move forward, the company will give the opportunities but it is incumbent on you to drive your own career path.

There has been a period of change due to evolving customer demands within a changing shopping habits, these changes make some challenging times but overall is future proofing the business to ensure that we can keep up.
Pros
Great Career Progression
Great fun enviroment to work in, many opportunities to work at exciting events.
Safety Steward (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh22 May 2018
What a class place to work.

You pick your own shifts and have the chance to work at some excellent events.

The opportunity is given to become a registered SIA security however just being a steward is fun enough.

The work is enjoyable and fulfilling.
Pros
good pay, flexible
Security Officer
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  London21 May 2018
The events they handle are amazing. You get to travel to a new location every week so you're exposed to so much more and get a real job satisfaction from that.
Prisoner custody officer
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Rugby16 May 2018
Not a great company to work for.
The job was good, but the management culture awful, you would never get a chance of a promotion if you was in the click.

Enjoyed working with other staff members, and helping prisoners rehabilitate.
Pros
Nice food
Cons
Sometimes the hours could be long.
Not produtive
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London13 May 2018
No future and dead end job. Unsocial hours and nothing new to learn . Weak management. No work evaluation and no work skill training. Have been working so many yrs but I haven't learn anything new or valuable.
Pros
Flexi hours . Breaks paid and shift work.
Cons
Too early and too late
Productive Workplace
Safety Steward (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow11 May 2018
Friendly and helpful managers/supervisors. Always kept busy and are given regular and suitable shifts.
Most enjoyable part is the various locations I find myself at and the new experiences I have endured
Great work colleagues, Everything else much to be desired
Event Steward (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester11 May 2018
One of the if not the only positive thing about working for G4S was to meet and chat with colleagues from different backgrounds, cultures and ethnicities. One of the things that stayed with me in my time at G4S was being on the receiving end of a racist comment from a 'colleague' while working a shift at Burnley FC. Offender was wearing a orange hi-vis and was a fire steward if i recall correctly. Female.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Pay, Long Hours, Zero Hour Contracts
Good job great staff
Customer Care Officer (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire11 May 2018
Good experience but could do with giving staff a fair chance of career progression. I was there for nearly 3 years and not got anywhere did the same job for the same pay the whole time.
dont bother
Healthcare professional (Current Employee) –  Mansfield11 May 2018
you are treated as a disposable commodity and there is no loyalty to staff or room for progression. I wouldn't apply to them if I were you. the actual role that I do is brilliant and the staff that I work with are brilliant and this is the sole reason that I have stayed as lone as I have.
Cons
weak managemnet
Avoid
DCO (Former Employee) –  Brook House5 May 2018
I worked there for 3.5 years, in control room, reception and on the residential units. I loved it and hated it. The senior management are total scum, if you do something wrong or they don’t like you, they throw you under the bus. The company and what they are doing is totally immoral, making money of detaining people, fair enough a lot of them are criminals but deport or release, simple. 13.5hr shifts, 3 or 4 in a row usually then 2 days off, drains you mentally. 77hrs in one week of night then a week off, is probably the only good thing about the job, apart from the other staff, who are great and when the going gets tough everyone pitches in. When I first started I was put on a Res unit with 1 other staff member, we were managing 120 detainees. When we asked for more staff, we were told you must unlock. Disgusting.
Pros
Your colleagues
Cons
Long hours, senior management and pay doesn’t reflect what you put in.
Fun place to start off your security experience
Steward (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh3 May 2018
I was excited when I was working with g4s as it helped me succeed my goals in knowing how to be a security steward n experience a variety off skills. It was also good to experience different stadiums n different kind off skills to take on to a future job.
intresting place to work at
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  London1 May 2018
I was there only for short time but during this time i noticed this company is very well structured and well orgenised. good money however i worked long hours.
Pros
good money
Cons
long shifts
Meter Operative (Former Employee) –  Colchester23 April 2018
Worked for G4S for 8 years, and had a generally good experience. Management was good, and there was a good level of HR support. I would certainly consider working for the company again.
So-so
Area Relief Court Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester23 April 2018
Used to work for them as an Area Relief Security Officer. As long as I worked in local courts it was alright however once asked to travel to the complete opposite site of my area (sometimes 30+miles journey one way) it was nightmare. Mostly because of traffic as well as costs of petrol. At one point I was asked to work like that for 2 weeks and what is the best: some idiots in the office who were planning that put another relief officer from the other area to work in mine instead of keeping us close to our sites! So I was travelling 60 miles a day and the other guy was doing the same from the other side! Wouldn't do that job again purely because of incompetence of staff from the main office!
Pros
Good lads to work with
Cons
Brainless main office staff
good starting company
security (Former Employee) –  Leicester20 April 2018
found my first security job working for g4s.
a great place to learn your role especially when working on various sites as a cover officer..
i found the problems lay with management and time off.
i was always payed correct and on time
i enjoyed my time their and learned a lot about the security industry but used their reference to move to a better position in a local company.
i found the most enjoyable part of being a relief guard was working on different sites
learning what security needs were on each site and the freedom to move around sites
Pros
they payed for my sia license
Cons
long hours and always calling to work on your rest days
wasn't for me
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire16 April 2018
didn't enjoy it long hours and didn't talk to anyone all day my advice would be not to work for the and the targets are too high. for a rural area they expect too many hits in a day.
Good experience
Passport and visa team (Former Employee) –  Heathrow T4 andT511 April 2018
I really enjoyed working for G4s as passport and visa team. I checked all documents on BA flights for possible fraudulent documents. It was satisfying job where I stopped lots of passengers traveling on forged documents and also not carrying right visa.
Pros
Satisfying job with lots of indendance
Cons
BA deciders to do themselves
Security Officer
Security Officer/Door Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands11 April 2018
Was lied to on my job offer even though I have a licence have not got a vehicle and decided to treat me as a area relief officer and sent me to ridiculous far out of reach shifts in job centres.
The Manager was rude and totally disrespectful, would'nt reply to my phone calls and left me high and dry not knowing where i was to work the next day.
Needless to say RESIGNED.
Total waste of space treat you like something they want to kick off the end of their shoes.
Do yourself a favour and steer well clear and RUN!!!!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Just about everything.
Very nice and equal company, fair and lovely company
Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  London, England10 April 2018
Its an awesome company and awesome job would never want to leave all staff memebers very polite and the company has never given me a hassle always kept me happy and enjoying i frankily love my job.