G4S Employee Reviews

work place staff
Security Officer (SIA Licence (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 December 2017
staff that arent management are great and friendly, learning alot of face to face with public and clients, hardest part of the job would be to be sitting and doing nothing for hours at a time but also partly enjoyable if you work on your own as it has a relaxed vibe with no tension.
Pros
constant shifts and sometimes a great atmosphere
Cons
pay is too low and job advancment or site exchange not possible witout replacement
It was a good job.
Steward (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands4 December 2017
It was a good job. The staff were friendly. I was able to chose my own working hours. I had the opportunity to experience a wide range of events in the UK.
Ok as a job but not full of employee benefits
Manager (Former Employee) –  England29 November 2017
Ok company but as a service provider, costs are kept at minimum which means employee benefits are low. Large company so opportunity for movement but not guaranteed.
Pros
Large company
Cons
Low staff benefits
Demanding environment
Prison Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire29 November 2017
I have worked for G4S for over 10 years. The company offers a good pension scheme for its employees. Another benefit is the annual leave entitlement.
Unfortunately the hours are unsociable but this is expected working as a prison officer.
It is a challenging environment and can be both physically and mentally damaging.
Pros
Good annual leave entitlement
Cons
Unsociable hours
Potentially Dangerous working enviroment
Area Court Officer (Northamptonshire) (Current Employee) –  Northampton23 November 2017
The Security at a Court are on the sharp end,anyone can walk in through the front door and the potential for violence is always present.You witness people having their Homes or Children or Freedom taken away on a daily basis.
Pros
Dayshifts
Cons
Potentially Dangerous
Good job, poor management
Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Glasgow22 November 2017
A typical day in the courts is a 7:40 start, however do not be fooled into thinking there is a finish time. The management (who a lot of the time don't have custodial experience) are so focussed on reducing hours and wages than actually managing people. If you're looking for a workplace with high morale then this isnt the company for you. if however you're looking for no set finish, overtime at a basic rate and to be treated as a number, then apply today!
Pros
Decent Job, good people, interesting job.
Cons
Bad management
Made to feel worthless ,poor manangement
CIT DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London22 November 2017
A poorly managed business by individuals who are not trained or qualified to be in the positions they are in.
Staff are treated like cattle at a slaughter house ,your sole value is a big fat zero.
poorly maintained vehicles and equipment,talked down to and be littled, stressed out and pressured to perform above whats expected ..long hours ,very little job satisfaction and no home life.
Pros
Cons
Loads
Long hard hours : but so many enjoyable experiences
Events Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow21 November 2017
Had so many enjoyable years and events with g4s that have given me a wealth of experience, and I now feel that I need a new challenge. So willing to exert my energies in a new direction
Pros
Shift or day wirk
Cons
Travel
G4s
Senior Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Lancashire20 November 2017
G4S as a company are very good your paid on time with no mistakes on your salary but management leave alot to be desired. Management seem to think that you do not have any kind of home life and it appears that you work for them all the time.
Pros
Paid on time and correctly
Cons
Bad management
Think Hard before joining this Company! (Has many divisions).
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stockton on Tees20 November 2017
Many years in the same job Became G4S and things went down hill fast will make you redundant at the drop of a hat - Profits & Share holders come 1st.
Pros
Free uniform - Above national pay rate.
Cons
Long Hours, Very Poor management structure. No Respect for Staff.
Excellent employer
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire19 November 2017
Good,busy job. Regular training,job rotation,friendly staff.
Able to use previous work experience and still have time to do two online courses over the past couple of years to further my business knowledge.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Not enough opportunities to move around the company
a great company ruined by poor management at senior level.
MOBILE SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Manchester18 November 2017
Used to love working here,
however i was treated unfairly during a disciplinary.
Management are not prepared to kisten to anybody and are rude and arrogant.
Pros
ability to earna decent wage from "normal" shifts
Cons
Management are aresholes.
Good, solid, diverse company to work for.
Receptionist/General Guarding (Current Employee) –  Essex15 November 2017
General work ethics are excellent, conditions depend on the client site where working, on the site where I worked they were fair. Additional hours are on offer for those who want them, however they are could be on different sites, in different locations.

Problems arise due to the size of the company and the different locations of their various departments - there seems to be a lack of communication between those departments, they are well meaning but that does not help in the execution.

I was trained in door supervision and first aid at work whilst working in a temp position with the company, this was paid for by the company.

At the beginning of my time with the company I found the position rather tedious as I was not used to working in this sector but I got used to it over time.
Pros
Full training received
Cons
some positions are monotonous, tedious.
as disclosed in my cv
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 November 2017
Working with G4S has given me a good experience as a security officer to perform excellently well in the security role job. I have also had my SIA Licence by working with G4S
Pros
free lunches
Cons
excellent
God awful company to work for
Healthcare (Former Employee) –  England13 November 2017
All I can say is watch your back in this company. It's the worse company I've ever worked for. Uncaring, lack compassion and certainly lacks the human touch of understanding and caring. They finger point extremely quickly and make scapegoats out of employees. Whatever you do don't lower your standards and work for this company in England.
Pros
I've left
Cons
I've left
Demanding Utilitiy meter reader
G4S utilities (Former Employee) –  London9 November 2017
When you have not been with a company or business long enough to comment good or bad I find it is best not to do or say anything that could be deemed as predjust.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Competion high targets
Poorly paid,
Ambulance Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kent5 November 2017
If your looking to earn a living then this job is not for you. Just over minimum wage and yet you deal directly with patients. We are front line but get a pitence. To much form filling, no appreciation, control haven't a clue on area. There is NO extra money. Flat rate of pay and if you don't like it then leave. Company would rather train new staff than invest in current staff to keep them. Seen so many people leave. It's madness. This is G4S where the top bods earn loads and the actual workers earn nothing. Steer clear, it's not as glamourous as it sounds.
Pros
Free cups of tea
Cons
Poor pay
Zero hours contract
Security Guard/Door Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh1 November 2017
It's a good company to work for if you want a zero hours contract , you can pick and choose what hours suit you. There is quite a large turnover of staff.
There are lots of opportunities to work full or part-time.
Work the hours that suit you .
Pros
Zero hours contract
Cons
Most hours required are at night
Industry leader? Don't make me laugh
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester31 October 2017
I only did this job for so long because I'm not skilled enough to do anything else. The pay was appalling, conditions, at times, were hazardous to life & limb, management a joke, avoid at all costs.
Multinational Company
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ilfov30 October 2017
One of the best experience in my professional activity.
I was able to develop a multinational security knowledge and to apply international practice and standards.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.