G4S Employee Reviews for Correctional Officer

Found 53 reviews matching the search See all 12,419 reviews
Do not work here
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton3 November 2019
I was assaulted on duty in 2017 and have received no after care or compensation for my injuries. I suffered a brain haemorrhage from the assault and have received NOTHING for it.
Avoid at all costs
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands1 October 2019
If you want to be a prison officer join HMP not G4S . Left alone on the wings on your own and still expected to get the daily jobs completed.
Management were appalling .safety was low . Just basically keep your head down and get through the day and don’t expect time off because they are that short staffed you have got no chance
long hours, mental abuse and no support
Detention Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  gatwick brook house17 July 2019
never backed up by management in a custodial environment, even though they say they will always back the detainee first. quick to investigate you and suspend you to protect company.
long hours and high expectations with no incentives or support. management are inexperienced and run by senior management who just care about balance sheets!!!!
avoid avoid avoid.
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours, management treat you like a figure and are utterly aweful
Very worrying!
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Parc Bridgend15 May 2019
I enjoyed the training to become a Prison Custody Officer at Parc Prison, Bridgend and the instructors were excellent, however, the training does not reflect the reality of the job. The shifts are horrendous, I regularly worked from 0700 - 2030hrs and you won’t get a tea break and you will be very lucky to ever get a full hour for lunch and believe me you are on your feet and non-stop all day. You can be left alone on a wing with up to 75 prisoners, not sure how legally they can get away with it but they do. There is no support for the staff who are generally pretty conscientious but if you make a slight mistake you will get investigated, suspended, or sacked, you are just a number and believe me the prisoners are treated better than the staff. It is a shocking and very unsafe place to work with up to 20 people leaving every month. The core problem is understaffing and G4S pandering to every prisoners whim under the guise of rehabilitation...the prisoners call the shots on some of the wings because the staff don’t have the back up of senior management to address the problem.
Pros
Cons
Understaffing, unsafe, long hours, no support, poor mgt
Prison officer
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside9 May 2019
Promotes bullying. Lack of staff support. Does not believe following the legislation with pregnant women. When I reported a member of staff for bullying, they said they would sort it - instead they promoted them! If you want to destroy your life - apply for G4S. Biggest regret I've ever made. The company should be ashamed with themselves.
Cons
Absolute joke of a company
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton14 February 2019
Ex prison Officer of 1 year, never entitled to a lunch break, prisoners were treated with more respect than staff. Managers are on high horses and have zero respect for hard working staff. Prisoners words are taken as gospel. Senior managers cover up staff assaults in order to make the stats look good. Completely based around stats and no regard for staff care or input. Would never work for this company again!
Pros
Cons
Long Hours, No Breaks, Zero Respect
Brilliant job, I enjoyed it.
Prison Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire12 September 2018
Job culture wasn’t that great but overall the job was excellent.
Pay is brilliant at £23,000 rising every year of about £130-£300 a year .whilst for HMP starter is £22,396.
Overtime is always available at £21-£23 an hour and you can have as many as you want. So on average I did 45hrs a week inc a couple of hours overtime.

Shifts I got are quite good with on average 4/7 days worked with a mixture of 4-11hrs a day. You have to do 39hrs.

Made a few great friends in the job and I’d recommend it to a person who wants a mixture of their job.
Pros
Good pay and good friends made.
Cons
Hours are varied l you could do 6-4 one day and 9-3 the next
Ok to work for.
Prisoner custodial officer (Current Employee) –  Livingston19 August 2018
Okay to work for. However, communication from high management to officers at the front line can be slow. Wages could be better for job you are doing. Need to be fit and healthy.
Pros
Good regional managers
Cons
Can be long hours
Prison custody officer
Prison custody officer (Former Employee) –  West Midlands5 August 2018
Training good lots of overtime . some helpful staff but not enough staff to keep safe . and due to staff alot leaving because when you start theres no direction or suppoet of the experianced staff i have now left due to safety issues and lack of support
Pros
Teaining good
Cons
Staff
Prisoner custody officer
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Rugby16 May 2018
Not a great company to work for.
The job was good, but the management culture awful, you would never get a chance of a promotion if you was in the click.

Enjoyed working with other staff members, and helping prisoners rehabilitate.
Pros
Nice food
Cons
Sometimes the hours could be long.
terrible company to work for
Prisoner Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Glasgow20 February 2018
Very high staff turnover due to lack of mmanagement skills, not a manager between any of them. No work life balance, forced overtime and bullying. No care and No justice towards staff. Wages are always wrong, that's if you get paid them. Drivers forced to break the EU driving rules on a daily basis. Runs off the 'pals act', if your face fits.
Cons
forced overtime, bullying, wrong wages, no work life balance
Prisoner custody officer (Former Employee) –  Rugby2 February 2018
Former prison officer in Rugby. I enjoyed my job at the start but then you start seeing “if your face fits” promotions. I worked for them for a lot of years, never had a disciplinary, was never in trouble and worked all the extra hours they asked of me, I put them before my family on occasions, one small mistake and I was suspended and sacked. No loyalty with this company.
Pros
Cons
Management are corrupt
Ruined a good contract
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow14 December 2017
From day 1 of contract G4S were going to fail. They underbid and their structure was impossible. From 12 Area Managers with a number of admin support functions to 5 Regional Managers and most admin supports functions made redundant so work passed to Regional Managers. Worst staff retention I have ever seen at all levels. Has had 8 different Directors within a 6 year period. If you do not nod your head and agree with what you are told you are pushed to leave but on a plus side their HR department are as big a joke as their management, proof being the amount of staff that have received pay outs before tribunal. Was a very good with good colleagues. Unfortunately has been ruined, most staff have now left or been pushed and the staff that are still there show no loyalty to each other due to fear of losing their jobs.
Pros
Mon-Fri
Cons
Fear of whos next
Demanding environment
Prison Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire29 November 2017
I have worked for G4S for over 10 years. The company offers a good pension scheme for its employees. Another benefit is the annual leave entitlement.
Unfortunately the hours are unsociable but this is expected working as a prison officer.
It is a challenging environment and can be both physically and mentally damaging.
Pros
Good annual leave entitlement
Cons
Unsociable hours
Not Enough Support
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands19 October 2017
Expected to work through the hour break you have on a 12 hour shift management dont want to help you or listen to concerns often left to work alone as colleagues dont want to help and just sit around in office leaving new people to pick up all the slack then degrade them in staff meetings by blaming new starters for all the things going wrong. you work 60+ hours every week without a choice and no breaks A/L was given to me without even been giving a chance to pick. Over all its a shambles!!!
Pros
Cons
everything !
Avoid like the plague
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow courts.8 October 2017
Man management skills are in short supply in this company. They have promoted from within and the people they have chosen are just not up to the job.Bullying and victimisation are common place and staff are left wondering where to turn.Only a matter of time till one of the Area managers gets taken to a tribunal . Rubbish company . Avoid if you can.
Pros
Too few to mention.
Cons
Wages and conditions.
Poor
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow20 August 2017
Not a good employer
Poor communication
Poor management
If your face doesnt fit then you have no chance
Dont expect any flexibility
I am an adult and treated like a child
Pros
There are none
Cons
Poor management
unorganised, unsafe
prison officer (Former Employee) –  birm16 May 2017
company organisation was terrible, was working in my job yet was later told my vetting wasnt complete but i had access to all kinds of information. unsafe environment as they under staff the establishment but also lower the wage, expecting more work for less money. never actually met my manager or mentor. staff moral was extremely low most people feel like they only work there because they have to.
Worst place to be
Detention Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport Station, West Sussex30 April 2017
Never never never work there.they dont know how to value staff if u respekt yourself then just find something else.honestly. all you will get is white hair .unlimited hour work day sometimes 18 h .overtime never paid.never.
Pros
Cons
Long hours.attitude
Good job terrible management
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow10 April 2017
Understaffed, underpayed and undervalued by so called bosses. People are promoted above there abilities and do not know how to speak to people. Supposedly professional instructors graduating new employees that couldn't pass the course because they have no staff. Constantly asked to break the law regarding driving rules and only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt. Most of the custodies are ok the biggest problem is the staff half of them aren't capable of doing the job and the rest only look after number one. This was actually a good job that I enjoyed until g4s took over....cowboys.
Pros
Cons
To many to mention.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.

53.2K