G4S Employee Reviews for Correctional Officer

Found 47 reviews matching the search See all 10,116 reviews
Brilliant job, I enjoyed it.
Prison Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire12 September 2018
Job culture wasn’t that great but overall the job was excellent.
Pay is brilliant at £23,000 rising every year of about £130-£300 a year .whilst for HMP starter is £22,396.
Overtime is always available at £21-£23 an hour and you can have as many as you want. So on average I did 45hrs a week inc a couple of hours overtime.

Shifts I got are quite good with on average 4/7 days worked with a mixture of 4-11hrs a day. You have to do 39hrs.

Made a few great friends in the job and I’d recommend it to a person who wants a mixture of their job.
Pros
Good pay and good friends made.
Cons
Hours are varied l you could do 6-4 one day and 9-3 the next
Prison custody officer
Prison custody officer (Former Employee) –  West Midlands5 August 2018
Training good lots of overtime . some helpful staff but not enough staff to keep safe . and due to staff alot leaving because when you start theres no direction or suppoet of the experianced staff i have now left due to safety issues and lack of support
Pros
Teaining good
Cons
Staff
Prisoner custody officer
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Rugby16 May 2018
Not a great company to work for.
The job was good, but the management culture awful, you would never get a chance of a promotion if you was in the click.

Enjoyed working with other staff members, and helping prisoners rehabilitate.
Pros
Nice food
Cons
Sometimes the hours could be long.
terrible company to work for
Prisoner Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Glasgow20 February 2018
Very high staff turnover due to lack of mmanagement skills, not a manager between any of them. No work life balance, forced overtime and bullying. No care and No justice towards staff. Wages are always wrong, that's if you get paid them. Drivers forced to break the EU driving rules on a daily basis. Runs off the 'pals act', if your face fits.
Cons
forced overtime, bullying, wrong wages, no work life balance
Prisoner custody officer (Former Employee) –  Rugby2 February 2018
Former prison officer in Rugby. I enjoyed my job at the start but then you start seeing “if your face fits” promotions. I worked for them for a lot of years, never had a disciplinary, was never in trouble and worked all the extra hours they asked of me, I put them before my family on occasions, one small mistake and I was suspended and sacked. No loyalty with this company.
Pros
Cons
Management are corrupt
Dynamic work environment
Prison Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  HMP Ryehill15 January 2018
Not a bad company to work for but I do feel that promotion is done purely by the old boy network and friends helping friends! Generally everyone is friendly and supportive but progression is the main problem
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
No progression
Ruined a good contract
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow14 December 2017
From day 1 of contract G4S were going to fail. They underbid and their structure was impossible. From 12 Area Managers with a number of admin support functions to 5 Regional Managers and most admin supports functions made redundant so work passed to Regional Managers. Worst staff retention I have ever seen at all levels. Has had 8 different Directors within a 6 year period. If you do not nod your head and agree with what you are told you are pushed to leave but on a plus side their HR department are as big a joke as their management, proof being the amount of staff that have received pay outs before tribunal. Was a very good with good colleagues. Unfortunately has been ruined, most staff have now left or been pushed and the staff that are still there show no loyalty to each other due to fear of losing their jobs.
Pros
Mon-Fri
Cons
Fear of whos next
Demanding environment
Prison Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire29 November 2017
I have worked for G4S for over 10 years. The company offers a good pension scheme for its employees. Another benefit is the annual leave entitlement.
Unfortunately the hours are unsociable but this is expected working as a prison officer.
It is a challenging environment and can be both physically and mentally damaging.
Pros
Good annual leave entitlement
Cons
Unsociable hours
Not Enough Support
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands19 October 2017
Expected to work through the hour break you have on a 12 hour shift management dont want to help you or listen to concerns often left to work alone as colleagues dont want to help and just sit around in office leaving new people to pick up all the slack then degrade them in staff meetings by blaming new starters for all the things going wrong. you work 60+ hours every week without a choice and no breaks A/L was given to me without even been giving a chance to pick. Over all its a shambles!!!
Pros
Cons
everything !
Avoid like the plague
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow courts.8 October 2017
Man management skills are in short supply in this company. They have promoted from within and the people they have chosen are just not up to the job.Bullying and victimisation are common place and staff are left wondering where to turn.Only a matter of time till one of the Area managers gets taken to a tribunal . Rubbish company . Avoid if you can.
Pros
Too few to mention.
Cons
Wages and conditions.
Poor
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow20 August 2017
Not a good employer
Poor communication
Poor management
If your face doesnt fit then you have no chance
Dont expect any flexibility
I am an adult and treated like a child
Pros
There are none
Cons
Poor management
unorganised, unsafe
prison officer (Former Employee) –  birm16 May 2017
company organisation was terrible, was working in my job yet was later told my vetting wasnt complete but i had access to all kinds of information. unsafe environment as they under staff the establishment but also lower the wage, expecting more work for less money. never actually met my manager or mentor. staff moral was extremely low most people feel like they only work there because they have to.
Worst place to be
Detention Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport Station, West Sussex30 April 2017
Never never never work there.they dont know how to value staff if u respekt yourself then just find something else.honestly. all you will get is white hair .unlimited hour work day sometimes 18 h .overtime never paid.never.
Pros
Cons
Long hours.attitude
Good job terrible management
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow10 April 2017
Understaffed, underpayed and undervalued by so called bosses. People are promoted above there abilities and do not know how to speak to people. Supposedly professional instructors graduating new employees that couldn't pass the course because they have no staff. Constantly asked to break the law regarding driving rules and only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt. Most of the custodies are ok the biggest problem is the staff half of them aren't capable of doing the job and the rest only look after number one. This was actually a good job that I enjoyed until g4s took over....cowboys.
Pros
Cons
To many to mention.
Absolute joke of a company
Prisoner Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Current employee Glasgow SC22 January 2017
The company don't bother about the safety of their employees , telling you lies when training that you are never left alone with a prisoner , that is lies , you take prisoners along long isolated corridors, up lifts and down isolated stairs on your own. The management are very disrespectful towards staff preferring to make fun of you rather than help you , they strut about thinking they are something else. Far too many managers are having affairs with employees causing a lot of favouritism , if your not in one of their little cleeks you get all the late starts and finishes. The company are a joke as is the wages for what you have to do .
Pros
Cons
List is endless
fun and challenge
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Rugby29 December 2016
As a teaching assistant you are able to oversee teaching techniques, help with constructive development. Organising holiday scheme is very refreshing and to see a smile on the children's faces.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
wage
Long hours and under paid - dont be fooled
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend13 December 2016
•Never know when your shift ends
•Really under staffed
•No support once your trained
•for the responsibilities you have the salary is poor

I left my job of 5 years for this company thinking i could make a career for myself- how wrong was i.
When you work over your hours (lock downs) you dont get them back in lieu or paid to you!
This is a really stressful job and its made worse by the poor management/leadership and how unsupported you are.

The staff retension is awful so that should say enough in itself
Pros
Training provided was enjoyable
Cons
Long hours underpaid and poor leadership
biggest mistake of my life
prison custodial officer (Current Employee) –  Liverpool2 December 2016
anxiety,sleepless nights due to the pressue, rage induced stomach ulcers some, some of what you can expect working for this god awful corperation. if they can do you over and blame you they will find a way
Pros
non
Cons
everthing
A very difficult place to be working at the moment.
Prison Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Bridgend30 November 2016
A typical day at work could involve me searching prisoner cells for unauthorised articles,helping the dog unit searching any visitors coming into the prison, or arranging the tranfer of prisoners to other jails in the UK.
I work in a small team of 5 that is responsible for all aspects of the security in the working of a modern prison.
Low moral no staff
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton17 October 2016
Worst company to work for
Low staff moral
Short staffed
Terrible management
No support
Not secure job
No progression

No days are the same they are always busy and no staff to support you
Rarely get lunch
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Long hours terrible pay no support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.

52.6K