G4S Employee Reviews

Found 1,108 reviews matching the search See all 10,291 reviews
Interesting Job.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Leeds21 January 2019
It was a good company to work for, with a variety of jobs to do, and here I was taught the importance of teamwork. The normal day consisted of checking passes of regular staff and daily visitor passes, which was classed as front of the house. Reception duties for people without passes. Control Room duties, which consisted of a variety of duties. Underground Car Park duties, making sure that only people with the needed documentation gained access. Delivery Lodge, which was also underground. Night work consisted of a series of patrols.
Pros
Good workplace with a chsnce of advancement for those who wished it.
Cons
None to speak of, but rather claustrophobic.
Out door work
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  London17 January 2019
Each day you will be reading gas and electric meters at residential and comercial properties and doing appointments. You get to meet new people everyday.
Never work for oakwood
Officer (Former Employee) –  Oakwood14 January 2019
Staff mainly management are nothing short of bullies , Horrible place to work , I would advice to try it yourself I will estimate you will do training a month of working their you will want to leave , you are treated like a criminal singled out and bullied
Pros
Wage
Cons
Non
great place to earn good money
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire14 January 2019
Great company to work for with lots of overtime with potential to earn OTE £28,000+
Management very poor with no people skills, very self centred. Always expect a lot from staff never prepared to give. Always put under pressure to do more and more. You will fit in nicely if you are a yes man. Very biased in promoting people very much if face fits you go far, not what you know but who attitude.
Pros
good rate of pay, own boss in vehicles, plenty of OT
Cons
bad managers who are clueless
Zero Work Life Balance
CIT Driver (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh13 January 2019
The job it’s self is straight forward, drive to different customer locations and deliver/collect cash whilst wearing body armour and helmet. Either on a 1 man trip doing CIT work or a 2 man crew replenishing ATMs.

This would be a straight forward job if it wasn’t for incompetent management however. Drivers constantly over worked and vans overloaded with coin weight. Extra work being added to your already busy day and you’re just meant to accept it, as if you don’t have family or arrangements already made after your work.

Once you’ve gotten round to accepting the farce of a day that lies ahead, you’re then presented with absolute heaps of a vans that constantly breakdown before you’ve even left the branch. The negatives are endless, but it all stems from the penny pinching from the top of the hierarchy where essentially it’s the drivers who are punished most. You’re just a number at the end of the day to management who just want to make sure their back is covered.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Very flexible work hours ideal for students
Events Safety Steward (Former Employee) –  London8 January 2019
Flexible work hours, however, shifts where long and cold. Management was not good at explaining where to go and what to do if you are not familiar with attending football/rugby matches or gigs.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
most shifts where at weekends
A nightmare company.
Area Security Relief Officer (Former Employee) –  Wellingborough, Northamptonshire6 January 2019
The HR and Vetting Department is the most inefficient and unethical Department I have come across in my entire employment. Utter lack of communication, professionalism and respect. They are ‘above the law’ and they don’t like being challenged. As per se, my application ‘failed’ due to their own immigration rules, even having the insolence to disapprove my immigration status from the Home Office.

If you are prepared to wait for months to start the job- which never materialised in my case-that is entirely up to you. Personally, I was left exacerbated, distraught with no self-confidence, self-esteem.

Thank you G4S for being ‘kind’ to me.
Was good in the beginning.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Ford motor company, Dagenham6 January 2019
Was lied to from day one from managers regarding pay and benefits. Supervisors tried to bully and intimidate staff into working more hours. Management structure is none existent.
Pros
Cons
No breaks in a 12 hr shift
hard work
coin operative, cvit driver (Current Employee) –  Hampshire6 January 2019
work is hard and sometimes rewarding
most of the time i have nothing to do with management
as i an by myself without help
am in charge of whole of work area which includes unloading vans and lorries using forklift.
incharge of dispatching goods to other branches and distiburtion centers
i work with two computers.
Pros
nil
Cons
nil
good work culture
Technical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kuwait5 January 2019
work culture was cool as we all were free to work as we like but on time, good management and team. every day was like we get new things to learn and experience.

Want to know more about G4S?

Ask a question
Nice place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 January 2019
Very busy but relaxed place have a laugh.

Systems quite old learned a a lot working here would recommend, they are flexible with family commitments and with appointments
Pros
always nice food
Cons
expected too much some times
long hours of driving
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Nationwide27 December 2018
worked there as a meter reader for a few years,
good pay but a lot of walking and fuel costs,
and strict targets to be stuck to and the management are always on your case
Pros
pay
Cons
targets
Get messed around alot
Cargo Screener, Screener (Current Employee) –  East Midlands Airport, Leicestershire20 December 2018
Pros
Good people to work with at your level
Decent food on site
Lots of parking
Always overtime
Early finishes (sometimes)
Good variety of items you see on x-ray

Cons
Day shift get paid same as night shift but do less than night shift
Told when your having holidays and when u try to request they are always rejected
Break times are shocking (5.5 hours before 1st break)
Cold warehouse
Uniform is inadequate for winter so have to get your own stuff.
When it's bank holiday night shift only get half of their shift at double time unlike days who get a full shift at double time.
Told your doing weekends if your a relief.
Not allowed a life outside of work.
Pros
As above
Cons
As above
Plenty of hours rubbish management
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire15 December 2018
I got tupee over from VSG to G4S and from there it went down hill,tupee paperwork was lost and was given ill fitting uniforms. Still have no contract or term of title and grievances you raise through the G4S portal (ESS) fall on deaf ears and go months un-answered. No support of management & the only thing propping up the team is one top bloke but it’s a loosing battle from there!
We was given a pay rise beginning of the year but took over 7 months to actually receive it as useless finance department couldn’t work out basic maths clearly but as long as their pays ok then that’s ok!
management never responded to questions of when it’s going to be received and we the work force were left out of the loop.
We had another uniform change beginning of this year by the client but still we are awaiting jackets,proper fitting shirts and if it’s not good enough then take it at your own expense to get it altered.
Pros
You get paid at the end of the month
Cons
Bad management, next to little support
Avoid this company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 December 2018
Work long hours on your feet all day.supervisors need to learn to be supervisor ‘s .very bad management. When you go to them will problems they sweep everything under the carpet do not take anything seriously.avoid this company if you want your sanity.bullying goes on .staff who have been with company for a long time get easier day than new staff get told to work faster and harder
Pros
Meet some good colleagues
Cons
bad management and supervisor’s
One of thee most annoying and frustrating jobs I ever had
Relief Support Security Officer (Former Employee) –  durham, sunderland , newcastle, middleborough,30 November 2018
If you apply for the support officer role, make sure you have a guaranteed site for H/PW. Some weeks I found that I was working 60+hours and other weeks less than 20. And I would find that I was working more 20 hour weeks than 60 hour weeks in the long run. This will happen more so if they lose a contract, which is what happened to me.
Also depending on which department you go to you will either have a really good manager who cares or one that sucks and couldn't care less if you feezed to death. I needed top cover for my uniform in winter just to keep the chill off me and then the manager didn't supply me with the epically thin jacket until spring, you can only wear clothing with the logo on it.
And don't expect to have a social life either as you could be called on your day off to go in, and if you refuse to go in because you're too exhausted or you have a doctors appointment, or something along those lines, they will give you less shifts.
The rate of pay is good, depending on the site you are working and you will get your mileage back as well as certain expenses.
its a mixed bag this company, I did like working for G4S but lack of hours, supply of clothing and poor management was becoming too much for me to handle, especially when the line manager didn't want to communicate with the client,so you would get it in the neck from the client.
but like I said it all depends on which department you go to.
Customer Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Wallsend, Tyne and Wear21 November 2018
A typical day is dealing with Dwp staff as well as the public
no two days are the same you learn something new each day
i find that the management are easy to approach
its an office based culture warm and friendly atmosphere
the hardest part of the job is dealing with addicts as they can be unpredictable
the most enjoyable part of the job is customer satisfaction
Great temporary job
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  London19 November 2018
I was working during the olympics which was a very fun and interesting Experience also once in a life time within your own country you get to work for the olympics 2012
Pros
£20 off Waitrose or Caribbean scene for lunch. Zones 1-6 free public transport
good to work for
G4S Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Glasgow17 November 2018
I work here and I think it as grate staff are amazing and so are mangment I love the events we go to and work at and the fun we have but I also enjoy how fast the job can go from 0 to 100 in a second
Pros
its fun
Cons
not proppere hours
enjoyable
Customer care stewards (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon14 November 2018
Everyone would motivated and ready to work. the group would all get along making the work easier as everyone would be keeping each other going. customers would be the biggest challenge while at work but everyone would be able to neutralise any situation and stay positive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.

52.7K