G4S Employee Reviews

Reserved
Event Steward (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow10 July 2018
Didn't really have the best of time here to be honest. I never felt fulfilled plus it wasn't the best place for foreigners because the work environment made you feel unwelcome
Zero hours keep taking on but not enough work cant run a single shift properly
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester7 July 2018
Worked for these they do not give you shifts and when they do they take them off you without any warning yet they still take people on promising work when they cannot deliver

Every shift i worked on they had zero preparation never telling anyone anything of where to go to start the shift and there breaks are a joke if you think your getting one your not because they find it too much effort to see if you need one

These guys are the most unprofessional company I've ever worked for with no communication whatsoever even the pay ranges randomly from 7.80 to 9.50 with no explanation with every shift giving you a different pay each time
Pros
The best pro is never to work for these
Cons
G4S is a con
Nice site to work.
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey4 July 2018
Nice site to work. As a supervisor I was the sole in charge from fixing duties to looking after welfare and managing day to day stuff, it was quite difficult to see the manager. Not much help was available when there was a problem.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Management problem.
used to be a good company to work for
aso (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire and Humberside2 July 2018
when i first started with the company it was a good company to work for had loads of diffrent incentives like extra days off for service etc but now every year gets worse the management r all for themselves and not to be trusted and will rob u of every penny they can if uve got kids and want time off in the six weeks holidays u haven't got a chance unless u give them 2 yrs notice or ur a manager the pay is bad for the amount of abuse u get not a good company for employees after the Olympic games shamble
Pros
good hrs in week 8.45 till 5.15
Cons
bad management/very hard to get holidays u want/poor pay
Flexible,great colleagues..
Meet and Greet (Current Employee) –  Southampton21 June 2018
Sometimes long hours, the flexibility of this Zero hours contract is it's greatest advantage, plus the chance to work only later shifts.uniform supplied.
A typical day could involve an early start, helping Guests to find their luggage, manning esculaters,manning level crossings and directing guests to their transport..
Afternoon duties include, Booking Guests on to their cruises using computers to record passport details etc. Handling queues, directing guests to the appropriate areas.
Often you are working several hours on the computer without a break.
The most enjoyable thing is working as a team, the comaraderie is second to none.
Pros
Uniform and Flexibility.
Cons
Time spent on your feet of sitting at a computer.
Productive and enjoyable
SECURITY CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT/DRIVER (Former Employee) –  nine elms19 June 2018
Working for G4S for 18 years has been good but also stressful
due to security risks I have experienced over the years.
Start of day consists of going into the depot, collecting vehicle keys from the control office. I would spend 10/15 minutes checking vehicle and other necessary requirements.
Reversing into the loading bays and loading up and getting ready for
the start of my working day.
My daily duties would involve collection of money from various stores
including banks and also delivering large sums of money and
jewellery to various stores and banks.
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers, appreciation and recognition established over the
years.
Pros
Pay and customer interaction
Cons
Risks element of job
Senior management are good commuinicators, HR are deplorable
Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Scotland17 June 2018
7am start, sign out keys for vehicle. carry out vehicle inspection as per company requirements. cell area checks for contraband.weapons etc.

Depart base to a police station or an HMP establishment to transfer police custodies or convicted prisoners to court,
Funerals,Home visits, Childrens Hearings,Hospital Appointments.

All custdodies subject to a wand and seach procedure.

An authorotive however understanding approach works best.

Commuinication with senior members of staff is paramount.

Teamwork and commuinication with all concerned,ie,
Police,Prison staff, Lawyers,social work department,Docters,Nursing staff to name a few.

Control and Restraint when required is the hardest part of the job.

During my 13 years in this position I have traveled all over the United Kingdom, I have met many people from all walks of life.
This has been an education to say the least and has made me the person I am today.
Pros
Life Experiance
Cons
Long hours, Hostile Enviroment
Decent job, but not without failings
Events Safety Steward (Former Employee) –  Liverpool15 June 2018
I signed up for G4S in March of 2107, and to their credit, the recruitment process was actually very rapid and convenient.

Work life was as expected and was challenging but mostly fun. Problems lie within the management, standards deviate depending on where you work and you will find that there are times when you are left alone for long periods of time with no further instruction or without breaks. And often many managers treat stewards like second class citizens and will punish the smallest mistakes with sometimes unreasonable severity.

Despite this however, it remains a decent paying job, however, actually finding shifts becomes a challenge, especially in the latter months of the year when little is going on.
Pros
Decent pay, challenging enough that every shift is unique, there is a chance to meet many different types of people
Cons
management is not ideal, not a job for people who don't like lots of standing
It is certainly not a fun place to work, having to deal on a regular basis of many people who suffer mental breakdowns
Customer care officer (Current Employee) –  Bromley jobcentre8 June 2018
Overall there is a lack of understanding of the security officers needs, working and personal life. Working in jobcentres, is very tiring, even so, the breaks are paid, but very limited time off for lunch breaks, embarrassing having to finish off eating on floor , place of work, on many occasions.
Pros
Job Monday to Friday
Cons
Very poor pay
Fun
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  East Sussex6 June 2018
This role was extremely challenging at times, dealing with all types of different people in various places including lewes prison and Brighton job centre.
Pros
Good colleagues
Great Company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Rotherham26 May 2018
A very fast paced company but is very focused on giving opportunities to move forward, the company will give the opportunities but it is incumbent on you to drive your own career path.

There has been a period of change due to evolving customer demands within a changing shopping habits, these changes make some challenging times but overall is future proofing the business to ensure that we can keep up.
Pros
Great Career Progression
Great fun enviroment to work in, many opportunities to work at exciting events.
Safety Steward (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh22 May 2018
What a class place to work.

You pick your own shifts and have the chance to work at some excellent events.

The opportunity is given to become a registered SIA security however just being a steward is fun enough.

The work is enjoyable and fulfilling.
Pros
good pay, flexible
Security Officer
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  London21 May 2018
The events they handle are amazing. You get to travel to a new location every week so you're exposed to so much more and get a real job satisfaction from that.
Prisoner custody officer
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Rugby16 May 2018
Not a great company to work for.
The job was good, but the management culture awful, you would never get a chance of a promotion if you was in the click.

Enjoyed working with other staff members, and helping prisoners rehabilitate.
Pros
Nice food
Cons
Sometimes the hours could be long.
Not produtive
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London13 May 2018
No future and dead end job. Unsocial hours and nothing new to learn . Weak management. No work evaluation and no work skill training. Have been working so many yrs but I haven't learn anything new or valuable.
Pros
Flexi hours . Breaks paid and shift work.
Cons
Too early and too late
Productive Workplace
Safety Steward (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow11 May 2018
Friendly and helpful managers/supervisors. Always kept busy and are given regular and suitable shifts.
Most enjoyable part is the various locations I find myself at and the new experiences I have endured
Great work colleagues, Everything else much to be desired
Event Steward (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester11 May 2018
One of the if not the only positive thing about working for G4S was to meet and chat with colleagues from different backgrounds, cultures and ethnicities. One of the things that stayed with me in my time at G4S was being on the receiving end of a racist comment from a 'colleague' while working a shift at Burnley FC. Offender was wearing a orange hi-vis and was a fire steward if i recall correctly. Female.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Pay, Long Hours, Zero Hour Contracts
Good job great staff
Customer Care Officer (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire11 May 2018
Good experience but could do with giving staff a fair chance of career progression. I was there for nearly 3 years and not got anywhere did the same job for the same pay the whole time.
dont bother
Healthcare professional (Current Employee) –  Mansfield11 May 2018
you are treated as a disposable commodity and there is no loyalty to staff or room for progression. I wouldn't apply to them if I were you. the actual role that I do is brilliant and the staff that I work with are brilliant and this is the sole reason that I have stayed as lone as I have.
Cons
weak managemnet
Avoid
DCO (Former Employee) –  Brook House5 May 2018
I worked there for 3.5 years, in control room, reception and on the residential units. I loved it and hated it. The senior management are total scum, if you do something wrong or they don’t like you, they throw you under the bus. The company and what they are doing is totally immoral, making money of detaining people, fair enough a lot of them are criminals but deport or release, simple. 13.5hr shifts, 3 or 4 in a row usually then 2 days off, drains you mentally. 77hrs in one week of night then a week off, is probably the only good thing about the job, apart from the other staff, who are great and when the going gets tough everyone pitches in. When I first started I was put on a Res unit with 1 other staff member, we were managing 120 detainees. When we asked for more staff, we were told you must unlock. Disgusting.
Pros
Your colleagues
Cons
Long hours, senior management and pay doesn’t reflect what you put in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K