G4S Employee Reviews

Shocking management
Welfare Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Midlands13 August 2018
A great job ruined by poor management. Unfortunately that's G4S all over. Dishonest, only interested in their targets, not the clients or staff. If you want to have managers who are only after saving their own skins at the expense of their honesty and integrity and the staff under them then this is the company to work for.

I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.
Pros
A degree of flexibility
Cons
Most of job is micromanaged to the nth degree, there's absolutely no pleasure from working in what should have been a nice environment, below market rate for job
Not a great company to work for
National Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  London12 August 2018
I felt G4S was only concerned about it's profits and shareholders and didn't care too much for the job satisfaction of it's staff.

In the latter stages of my time at G4S, there was a change within the Executive team (CEO, COO and Financial Director), which I believe could change this around or at least improve on what I had experienced, hence my approval of the CEO.
Long hours & No career advancement.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland10 August 2018
I have been working for G4S for nearly a year now, and one thing you are promised is a healthy work and social life balance, that is not true, my slow week is 58 hours and my longest can be 60-70 hours, this is all on minimum wage as well, my contract is the lowest paid, even though other buildings on the same contract are paid more for doing the exact same job as myself and the other guard(s) in my building.

When you go to the interviewer, he or she rants and raves about how quickly you can move up the ranks in G4S, absolute lies, you are stuck where you are until you are no longer required. I have worked with people who have been with G4S for 15-20 years and have never been offered promotions, or even a chance to advance their career within the company. The job is okay for a stop gap, while you figure out what you want to do, but I would not recommend it as a career builder as you will be stuck like the hundreds of other security officers that have been promised career development. Luckly I am young, and eager so for me G4S is only a stop gap until I finish of other security courses to progress my career.

Management is a shambles, I see my manager once a month, if that. There is no real communication within the workforce, it's hard to even get new uniform.

Unless your moving into a supervisory rule or management role, I would not recommend joining the company, especially if you are young. The job is okay for people nearing retirement age.
Pros
Get to meet interesting people, pay is on time
Cons
Long hours, minimum wage, management is awful, no career development.
flexible and unique
Steward (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester9 August 2018
good as a secondary job , very rewarding, allows you to travel and visit different places and events and get paid for it.
Ideal if you are a university student as it lets you work when you want to.
A lasting experience but memorable work place.
FEMALE SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester6 August 2018
Always maintaing a good working relationship enforced security related incidents.
Very busy but one must keep alert, and monitor CCTV, intruder detection and fire alarm system.
Safety regulations on site must be adhered by staff at all times.
Pros
opportunity to learn and grow in job position.
Cons
Challenging but positive interaction
Prison custody officer
Prison custody officer (Former Employee) –  West Midlands5 August 2018
Training good lots of overtime . some helpful staff but not enough staff to keep safe . and due to staff alot leaving because when you start theres no direction or suppoet of the experianced staff i have now left due to safety issues and lack of support
Pros
Teaining good
Cons
Staff
Ok ok
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  London5 August 2018
Great job for keeping active, however; some expectations are too high for operatives.

Planning from Management Team is very last minute and not well thought through.

Trying to run a service with the smallest budget.

Money good, but not worth the agro that goes with it.
really tough working there
Detainee Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  gatwick3 August 2018
really tough working there
management not really good
colleagues are not friendly
i did not learn anything
very isolated place
a stressful environment
Lots of friendly colleagues
Steward (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands2 August 2018
Colleagues are great to work with but management are a little too tense and stressed at times which does bring down the overall mood of the team. This can be very demotivating.
Avoid if at all possible
P&R (Former Employee) –  Belfast, heron view31 July 2018
Money was terrible, culture is woeful, it is always cover your back and not about colleague or customer value, just management avoiding all possible fallout. Never been so happy as to leave that place.
Pros
You have a uniform(even though you aren't customer facing)
Cons
Too many to list. No sick pay, barely minimum wage

Want to know more about G4S?

Ask a question
Interesting and varied
Dog Handler (Former Employee) –  Nationwide27 July 2018
Typical days are long with very short breaks if any. constantly on your feet dealing with the public. Management are aloof, Wages are not good and you have to do many hours to make it worth while but getting those hours is not easy
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
Zero hours contract
Slow, Standing
Steward (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire26 July 2018
Standing a lot and communicating with new people. Very slow work usually. No response from "mentors" when called upon, as "too many complaints to handle".
Pros
N/a
Cons
Low pay
ok
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk25 July 2018
ok not a bad firm, depends if you get a good manager or not, money was ok head office are good to work with, zero hours contracts came out and ruined the company to my opinion
Pros
flexible
Cons
bad managment
Poor support, poor planning, poor work/life balance
Driver (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk22 July 2018

Planning from Management Team is very last minute and not well thought through.

Trying to run a service with the smallest budget.

Money good, but not worth the agro that goes with it.
Pros
Paid for breaks
Cons
Long hours, very poor communication
Working on your own was good but also working as a team was good
CVIT Driver and vault officer (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire21 July 2018
G4s like all big company’s has its good points and it’s bad ones but overall the company was very good to work for it looked after you if you were attacked
Pros
Well paid looked after by company if you were attacked
Cons
Most managers never worked on the road so did not understand the problems of the drivers
Okay if you're management
Senior Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coventry20 July 2018
G4S work you as though you have no life outside of G4S pressure to work over time when you can't, favours those who can.

Pay is OK average nothing outstanding, no bonuses or incentives to want to work more hours than contracted. Saying that hours of work can be flexible including night shifts.

The people who you work with make it, management tend to have NO management skills what so ever and aren't professional in the slightest!
Pros
Hours can be flexible
Cons
Too many to list
productive
Steward/Security (Former Employee) –  Liverpool19 July 2018
G4S was a company that very much fitted around my lifestyle. It was a as of when contract, so I would only work on the days that I myself chose which was extremely helpful for me whilst studying at University.
event security
Security / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Leeds19 July 2018
it was zero hour contract and learned about controlling the crowd and communicating with staff and working has a team, the hardest bit is when it gets busy
Not good
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire18 July 2018
Worked at same place nearly 3 years as a cleaner awful atmosphere with co worker.bad line manager.critisism uncalled for. Job ok but not given enough time to do everything.expected too much for too little.i left after 3 years.had enough.worst company i have ever had the misfortune to work for.
Pros
Cons
Just awful
poor managers
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fife18 July 2018
Don't give any thought for disabled workers. send untrained guards to site when regular guards are sick or on holiday. pure monkey management never see line manager dosent answer phone and sometimes will respond to Email
Pros
finding a new job
Cons
poor management rubbish pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K