Futures Housing Group Employee Reviews

There's never been a better time to work for Futures...
Business Transformation Manager (Current Employee) –  Ripley, Derbyshire19 May 2019
Several years ago, I made the decision to switch industries, leaving Banking to join Futures and Social Housing.

I accepted at the time that as part of this shift, I may have been giving up the technologically progressive and financially rewarding environment that had come with working for a Bank. And when I first started with Futures in 2015, that was partly true.

Over the last 3 years that I have been with the organisation, I have watched as the technology and culture has transformed the business into one of agile working and an empowered workforce.

In 2019...

Colleagues have the technology to do their job from whichever location they chose to work from, whether that is one of our office spaces, at home or at a local coffee shop.

Colleagues have the opportunity to develop, with access to education programmes and specialist training; as well as a leadership access to a development programme that is open to anyone to participate in.

Colleagues are included in developing the future direction of the organisation through collaborative events that are designed to give everyone a voice and a platform for sharing what matters most to them.

Many of you will read this post and probably think that it's written with the intention of balancing out the other posts on Indeed. And you would be right, that's exactly what this post is.

Transforming an organisation is never easy and it's understandable that for some people, the process will be uncomfortable. I'm not saying Futures is perfect and rightly so, if it was, then there would be nothing to work towards.
  more...

However, if you are looking for an organisation to work for that champions the voice of every individual, that strives to promote a healthy work-life balance and is ambitious about what it's doing to provide affordable housing for our community, then Futures is the place for you.
Pros
Flexible working, access to mobile working technology, employee benefits, free tea and coffee
Cons
Lack of local shops near main office in Ripley
27 June 2019

Thanks for your review of Futures. A few years ago no one even spoke about ‘agile working’. Now it’s helped lots of us work much more productively and in many cases achieve a better work-life balance.

The leadership academy’s really helped a lot of people in their personal and professional development – me included. We see that anyone can be a leader, not just managers and directors.

You’re right, we’re not perfect and we’re always looking for ways to improve. Which is why we think it's so important to have a business transformation team to help us progress and deliver change.

However I’m afraid I disagree with your comment about the lack of local shops. Just a mile up the hill is the bustling Ripley high street with lots of shops and cafes. If you’ve not had a Birds cream cake you’ve not lived! - Louise

Opportunities to learn and progress in your career
Digital Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  Ripley, Derbyshire14 May 2019
I started working at Futures as an apprentice back in 2016 and I'm now in a permanent role.

I cannot fault this company for the way they support people in their career and offer support for personal development.

I've had two secondments since being here, giving me the chance to experience different areas of the business and learn new skills across a variety of subjects.

I'm very fortunate to have had some great management whilst I've been here and been encouraged to attend external training which has helped me progress in my career.

When I first started Futures, I had no idea what I wanted to do in the future but being able to experience different areas of the business has given me a clear idea of what I'd like to continue doing.

The people are nice, friendly and welcome anyone to the family.

There has been difficult times in the past, like with all companies, but I can honestly say I've never been so supported and I know they will do what they can to help you during any uncertain times - even personal issues that can affect work.
Pros
The people, career support and training
5 June 2019

Thank you for your review!

We love seeing our people develop their careers with us. Apprenticeships and secondments are a great way to do this, and as you’ve said they can be a source of inspiration if you don’t have a definite career path in mind.

We hope you enjoy passing on your knowledge and experience to our newest apprentices! - Louise

Forward thinking, innovative housing company
ICT Team Member (Current Employee) –  Ripley, Derbyshire25 January 2019
As a current employee with no ‘axe to burn’ I was disappointed to read some of the reviews on here. It’s pretty clear these are fairly biased after presumably leaving the company (in my opinion).
I feel that Futures has a great culture, is always looking at ways to improve and change itself and it’s services, and without doubt invests heavily in its staff and their development.
I have always felt supported by my manager and the recent changes to support agile working are great and support flexible working patterns and work / life balance.
They may not pay the most compared to commercial organisations etc. but let’s not forget they are a NFP Charity.
An all round good company with many excellent people.
Pros
Flexible/agile working, good culture, L&d
Cons
Salary/pay not as high as others
14 May 2019

What a review to make me smile – that’s for your encouraging feedback. We’re impressed with how so many staff have embraced agile working, and seen the benefits it can provide.

I’m pleased your manager has provided you with support. Whilst we invest in a lot of ‘role-based’ training courses, we’ve also seen great results from our Leadership Academy. This has developed and inspired current and future leaders, and helped us become more forward-thinking.

The salaries are benchmarked against market rates, but as you’ve identified we are not-for-profit, so can’t ever pay top-whack. For many people the culture, investment in staff and the work-life balance are the reason they stay with us for so long. - Louise

An organisation where your face needs to fit.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ripley, Derbshire13 January 2019
If you don’t have the right image or feel comfortable kissing peoples backsides this organisation isn’t for you as this is the only way you will progress.
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
Everything else
14 May 2019

Thank you for leaving feedback. It’s very clear you didn’t leave with fond memories, which is always disheartening to see.

One of the things I enjoy about Futures is the mix of different personalities, and the people who will absolutely challenge business decisions if they feel it’s right. It’s a shame this wasn’t your perception. I hope you’ve found a new role and organisation which is right for you. - Louise

All jobs advertised should come with a public health warning.
Housing Officer (Former Employee) –  Ripley, Derbyshire18 October 2018
Managers are bullies, they like to intimidate and they do not provide any support. They make things up as they go along, they do not follow their own policies and procedures. They have favourites, if your face fits you might be ok. The company is all about image and how wonderful it thinks it is, but really it just cares about making money and expanding. There is too much work to cope with and not enough staff. Very stressful and in a mess.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no flexi, no support, very stressful
Terrible place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ripley, Derbyshire25 May 2018
Terrible place to work. Management do not support the staff. Work load is awful. It’s a don’t like it lump it attitude. Management are all out for themselves without a care for staff. This company really needs to start looking at how they are treating staff as they will end up losing all of the good staff.
Pros
Cons
Management are awful
Not great
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ripley, Derbyshire10 May 2018
Seems there is no stability in the organisation anymore. Unsupportive management and favouritism in some areas , purely target drive. Seem to be constantly shedding experienced staff. Used to be great place to work but a generally unpleasant working culture now.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
High work load, unsupportive management.
Run by management with totally hidden agenda
Admin (Former Employee) –  Ripley9 March 2018
Most of the people I worked with were professional and friendly but the work culture is one of mistrust as management constantly make decisions behind the scenes without any consultation with staff.

The whole organisation is driven by money and profit hiding behind a facade of pretending to care about staff and customers.

For permanent staff some of the benefits are good and the pay is probably higher than a lot of places.
Pros
Free tea and coffee, staff discount scheme, pension
Cons
Management Culture creating dissatisfied employees
Hidden Agenda Organisation
Officer (Current Employee) –  Ripley, Derbyshire24 January 2018
All talk, hidden behind new branding.

New packaging doesn't make the product any better. Don't listen to new ideas for REAL improvement. Negative working environment since the new restructure.
Good organisation to work for
Neighbourhood Officer (Former Employee) –  Ripley, Derbyshire10 January 2018
I worked for Futures on a temporary contract in 2017, and found it to be a very enjoyable place to work. There is a good atmosphere within the HQ although they do seem to be carrying some negativity along with them after a recent restructure unsettled some of the teams.

They are very operationally aware, and focussed on the future. Pay is within what is expected of the industry, if not slightly better, and they offer good opportunities for further education.
Pros
Good office space, forward thinking, very aware of the business
Cons
Some negative vibes within teams
27 June 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review us, and thanks for your support to the Neighbourhoods team during your temporary contract. I’m glad you enjoyed it here. We had a group-wide restructure which was implemented in early 2017. This brought all the housing teams under the one brand of ‘Futures Housing Group’ and changed the structure of the company. It was hard to say goodbye to some great people, and as you saw there was some negativity afterwards.

Since then we’ve made great progress, with last month’s staff survey showing vastly improved staff engagement scores, with nearly 19 out of 20 staff saying they’d recommend someone to work here.

I hope you’re enjoying your current role as much as you enjoyed it at Futures. - Louise

Good work place
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Brixworth, Northamptonshire2 October 2017
Happy in my job need more hours like cleaning I work 8 am till 12 in a shelted housing for elderly people .can be a lonly job but like being left to work on own most of time
Pros
Left to work on own
Cons
Not enough hours
Work culture changed recently
Housing Advisor (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire5 September 2017
Change in focus, not as good as it used to be to work for. No longer considering the customers needs. Not listening to staff as well as they used to, which is a big shame.
Fantastic place to work
Housing Resettlement Worker (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire4 July 2017
I loved every minute working here the staff managers were really supportive, good pay all in all great place to work. would recommend them highly and hope one day to go back.
Forward thinking local housing association
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Ripley, Derbyshire10 April 2017
Futures is a progressive and forward thinking company with a strong focus on doing the right thing. The people are great and they are willing to invest in changing for the future.
Great
Business Admin Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Daventry, Northamptonshire25 January 2017
Great working here had lots of help volunteering and working with different departments. Would recommend to volunteer at this company if you are a FHG customer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Futures Housing Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Futures Housing Group Reviews by Location