Fuller's Employee Reviews

-decent service charge
-overall nice management
-teamwork
-staff food not provided, but sometimes we have 50% discount
Pros
flexible
Hardworking family
Waitress/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Waterlooville4 October 2018
I have worked in fullers for years and I absolutely love it. I love the relationships you build with the staff and the customers, the loyalties and the excitement especially on busy evenings. I learn so much while working at the pub I am at now every single shift including dealing with difficult customers, amazing customer service, confidence, money handling and dedication to the job. I work extremely hard even in the later hours. It can be tough being around drunk customers because they like to challenge you and sometimes cause trouble but I have gained so much patience and have learnt to correctly sort any issues and queries from other customers or staff. We are all so close at the pub and it is a warming environment that I love to be in.
Pros
Free lunches, entertainment in the evenings(karaoke and bands)
Cons
Rowdy drunks
6 November 2018

Good afternoon. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed being part of a friendly and warm team. It is the people that make the pubs what they are- wishing you all the best! - Ruth

Great Job, Shame About the Management
Head Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire28 September 2018
I took up the position of Receptionist hoping to bring into play all my Admin skills I had garnered over the years and initially I loved the job, very busy little reception & plenty to do, since we were very short staffed. I had agreed from the outset that I would be willing to help out inother areas but made it clear to my manager that I had little or no waiting or bar work skills nor did I want to do any waiting or bar work but would be happy clearing tables taking payments & making coffees. Since I hadn’t ever worked on a Hotel reception, I was completely new to the Hotel Booking software. The training I was given on this, along with the Restaurant booking software was sporadic to say the least & it was generally a case of being thrown in at the deep end and learning to cope. Any other training was done sat going through a training manual online. Since we were a small establishment and I was the only receptionist, and obviously I only worked 5 days, others members of staff, not so knowledgeable had access to the bookings system in my absence and I would be frustrated to come across many mistakes made with bookings - or have to take the flack for errors made by others. This has since been tightened up with the introduction of separate logins - that said it is still possible for others to make & amend bookings on your login details.

As time went on, I watched many staff come and go due to issues with the manager. Initially, I put this down to some being very young and naive & not prepared to put in the work or just not the right fit. I was also getting very frustrated
  more... with Fullers systems - their Hotel Booking system continually had glitches & had to be restarted. My desktop had it’s issues as well, with problems logging in. Trying to contact their IT department could be frustrating, since there seemed to be days where they were over run & calls would go straight to voicemail and not be returned. Ordering stationery as well was not the easiest procedure.

There didn’t appear to be any support for staff if they were struggling either, the manager himself seemingly overwhelmed & at times difficult to talk to yet along contact when out of the office. Things would get missed with a real ‘blame culture’.

Communication is definitely an issue with so many staff coming and going not helping.

I have worked hard for the company and when required jumped in to help, as much as I could FOH. I have dropped everything to work on days off and seldom took a day off in the short time I was there. My reward - when I started to struggle due to issues at home, my manager started to turn on me and I soon understood why so many others left before me. I also became aware that my job was changing with my admin duties being whittled away with the recruitment of several other managers, and the expectation of me taking up more and more FOH duties, this in spite of the fact that I had made it clear to my manager, I never had nor never want to be waiting or bar staff.

This all culminated in a ‘showdown’ in the kitchen in front of the Chef, and in clear earshot of guests, where my manager started shouting at me. This was all due to a lack of communication where he hadn’t outlined that he had expected me to be on duty FOH that morning, serving guests instead of on Reception.

This was the last straw for me, since I lost all respect for him. At no time whilst I was struggling, & he was aware of my issues did he support me or give any guidance to contact anyone else within the company for support.

I have now left and feel so sad, since I went from working in a job and environment I loved and thought I would be working in for the foreseeable to absolutely loathing it. Even my resignation has not been handled professionally.

I am sure that maybe in bigger establishments and more long running establishments (Fullers had only taken over the Hotel/restaurant a year ago) that things might have been different. However, with a relatively new manager, who was clearly struggling with not the best people skills, this place is struggling & will continue to unless this manager learns how to manage, encourage & support the staff he has.
Pros
Staff discount card, good paid holiday allowance.
Cons
Poor management, Fullers internal systems poor, lack of good training, precious little support if you find yourself struggling
8 November 2018

Good afternoon- I am really sorry to hear about your experience working at a Fuller's hotel. Fuller's prides itself in the training and development offered to staff as well as the friendly atmosphere amongst teams, so your feedback has been taken seriously. Regarding the pub in question, there has recently been a change in General Manager which has made the environment more settled. If you would be willing to provide further details, please email recruitment@fullers.co.uk. Thank you for your honest feedback, and best of luck with your future career- Ruth

A friendly and enjoyable place to work
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  London25 September 2018
I learned a lot in the two years I was with fullers, and they certainly gave me the opportunity to progress, which I did. However I did have some frustrations regarding the management. This is because at my site the head chef and managers where constantly changing, this lead to a lack of stability in the pub.
Pros
good tronc!
Cons
Bad managers!
6 November 2018

Good afternoon. It is great to hear that you made the most of the opportunities Fuller's gives in terms of career progression. I am sorry to hear about the lack of stability you experienced; your feedback will be shared. Wishing you all the best with your future. - Ruth

Lovely pubs to work in
Senior Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Reigate24 September 2018
Management style is good, higher ups within the company take active roles in smaller branches, getting to know employees of all types. Family atmosphere encouraged.
Pros
friendly
Cons
Bad company. Place even worst one
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London30 July 2018
Really poor place. Worst GM I ever worked for. No support from executive chef and ops manager for a normal employees .long hours. Not even thank you for good work.
Cons
Under pay, long hours
6 November 2018

Good afternoon, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We take pride on the support and friendliness within our teams. We would appreciate any further feedback to recruitment@fullers.co.uk. Thank you for your honesty and wishing you the best. - Ruth

Good development and learning program, fun place to work
Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tower Hill Station24 July 2018
Offer good courses and learning programs for employees to develop in the company and it’s for free. So if you really want to go higher and develop, then Fuller’s is place to be. Only salary is not great in some of the pubs/hotels, can feel the struggle with finding employees. But people and management are all nice people , I have no problems with anyone.
Pros
Free lunch (not in all sites)
6 November 2018

Good afternoon. It is wonderful to hear that you feel that our development programmes are worthwhile, it is something that here at Fuller's we pride ourselves in. Good luck in your role! - Ruth

Friendly staff
Kitchen Porter/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Burley17 July 2018
Very friendly staff who tailor towards employees needs and offer detailed training. Flexible hours and always something to do especially during peak hours.
Pros
Free food and flexible hours
Cons
Long hard work during peak times
8 November 2018

Good afternoon- thank you so much for your feedback, it's great to hear positive reviews on the detailed training that Fuller's offer! All the best- Ruth

Could be better
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Hampshire30 June 2018
The job is fine if you're looking for part-time work as a student or some extra cash. It's suitable if you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment but the training was awful. If you're going for full-time, the job/life balance is almost non-existent and you're not really valued as a person.
Pros
Free Lunches
8 November 2018

Good afternoon- thank you for your honest feedback, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with training, as it is something Fuller's works hard at making exceptional. Furthermore, Fuller's sees every member of our teams as valued individuals, so your feedback has definitely been taken on board. Wishing you all the best with your future- Ruth

Someone is allways a target
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  London, UK6 June 2018
Highly demanding environment, expectation of day starting before 7am and 60 plus hours expected to deliver to company expectations. Follow through on promises for additional compensation for project work outside scope of job description not delivered. A silo business with a blame culture and self preservation of senior management.
Pros
Brewery allowance, the people trying to make a difference
Cons
Health care changes, compensation, bonus payments not made in years board members recieved large bonuses
Reliable company
Bartender (Current Employee) –  London28 May 2018
Enjoyable working environment and options to progress into a career. 28 holiday days each year and the option to work overtime if you need the money. Experienced managers.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
60 to 70 hour weeks
Not the best place to work.
Waiter/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Oxford28 May 2018
Working for the Fuller's company at the 'Head of the River' pub in Oxford was not a very enjoyable time. The management was poor in dealing with a high flow of customers and treating the staff with respect. I do not look back on my time here very fondly.
8 November 2018

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about your experience working at this pub. Recently there has been a recent change of management at the pub, which has created a more positive working environment. Thank you for your honest feedback, and good luck with your future career- Ruth

Pathetic Management
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 May 2018
I gave 2 star for the work/life balance is because I wasn’t provided guaranteed hours .
How do i start well here it goes,
No breaks
No proper staff food (only once a day if having to work for whole split shift day) what is this ? Being in a restaurant hospitality field there is no proper management. Supervisors esp females get away with everything. they try to not work but instead hide taking smoking breaks for 20 times in 5hrs shift, imagine they getting breaks while the other staffs are not getting breaks at all.
No break Even for to eat staff food.
Talks behind saying not progressing but never trains. Its not magic to learn by birth .
Pros
Cons
Uncountable
Hard work.
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Wykeham Arms9 May 2018
This is a tough place to work; long hours and lots to do. Although the Head Chef and most of the chefs are good people to work with Fullers do not properly staff the kitchen. Chefs sign up to work a 40 hour contract and then find themselves working 70 hours for no extra pay which can lead to them getting stressed and taking their frustrations out on you. As well as dish washing there is often prep to do and however hard you try you'll find that it's not possible to be in two places at one time. This job is very high output for very little return; not a moment's rest and a strong culture of having to prove yourself by constant hard work. If you're looking for a K.P. job you'll find plenty of far easier work elsewhere for the same rate of pay.
Pros
Good Head Chef and co workers
Cons
Very hard, underpaid work.
The Oak inn, is unique, and functional
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Lyndhurst, Hampshire9 May 2018
I started working at the Oak inn, in Lyndhurst, wanted only to stay 2 months, that was last year, i still work there, and i must say, its a unique place, coming from a background of good quality service, above decent, in here i've learned so much more, runned by a multicultural team, i must say, its one of the best places im glad to work with
Pros
Meal everyday, even days off, pretty decent hours
Cons
Sometimes its requested to stay a bit longer, but hey its hospitality
Bad management and poor pay
Chef (Former Employee) –  Richmond, Greater London5 April 2018
Every day they made me peel potatoes wash and cut a lot of vegetables, I had to Brush and mop the floor !!! more than once!!! they even let me do the dishwasher because according to them it is right so when the dishwasher is certainly not lacking! I worked too little hours and I couldn’t even pay my rent and in short I did not have a specific task I was treated like a porter of the kitchen!! I think the head chef has to be fired!
Pros
Cons
bad staff turnover and bad management
Best company I’ve worked for
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  City of London, Greater London5 April 2018
Great opportunities ir you put the work in, good salary, great training, loads of fun days out to breweries and distilleries, really good company to work for
Pros
opportunities to progress
Cons
Salary
Terrible company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire28 March 2018
Still and West, terrible place to work
Take hours off for breaks you don’t get
Gm no where to be seen or just stood around drinking
Unprofessional
Do not care about the customers at all
Pros
Cons
Too many hours, wages mess ups
Fun place to work
Bar staff (Current Employee) –  Silchester12 March 2018
Great atmosphere with great people. Very flexible hours so perfect for summer work. I couldn't ask for better from a part time job and enjoy myself a lot. Would recommend bar work to anyone 18+ wanting some extra cash.
Poor management and job security
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Winchester9 March 2018
Fullers is definitely not where you want to be! The work environment is by all means not a bad one, but i was given false hope that i had got a job as a housekeeper following my trial shift. Management staff informed me that i could start working the following weekend, yet after a number of phone calls they revealed that the position had been given to someone else. Bear in mind they did not contact me in advance! Do not recommend rather be unemployed!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fuller's. Our community is ready to answer.