Frankie and Benny's Employee Reviews for Chef

Awful
Chef (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon13 December 2017
Never enough staff, constantly take advantage of good natured staff, management team don't know what they're doing, staff issues get ignored, broken equipment never gets fixed, was enjoyable but the last year completely imploded. Avoid.
Productive at times slow and dragging due to sometimes hours without customers or any delivery’s or cleaning to do.
Chef (Former Employee) –  Derby24 September 2017
When it’s time to cook on a weekend be prepared even in the smallest of towns/city’s this restaurant is very well known and fairly busy at weekends. During the week at my old place we had 3 delivery days a week ours was Monday Wednesday and Fridays all at afternoon times around 12-1. At our place it was downstairs so took a good amount of time to put the food in the lift take it down take it form the lift then take it out of boxes and rotate the stock to make sure you use the things closer to go out of dates first etc so it could be challenging but at most other restaurants they could just carry it to the fridge and freezer. You usually have to learn from sections so usually it’s pot wash to desert to starter to pizza and pasta and lastly grill then your known as a full frontline chef a black hat chef if like me you could just do for example before I left I could do everything apart from grill and I was learning to do pizza pasta so I knew everything up to starter off by heart so was learning pizzza and pasta section so I was a red hat but it’s not to say when I had to I didn’t do a few steaks and chicken breast meals from the grill sometimes when it’s just you and another red hat chef you have to get on with it the ‘ spec ‘ which is what the paper with the instructions on meals and how to make them is called is what is was there for sometimes the black hat chef or head chef is on break and you don’t really want them coming to help you. At big occasion seasons like Christmas they bring out a special menu and usually party’s have to pre book and order so we already have everything  more... ready but it’s still difficult due to just normal customers coming and obviously not making them have to wait just because of the party’s. Of course the party’s were important because they paid beforehand etc but we like to please every customer cause in the end they all pay. Good if you get to know the other chefs and managers I made a lot of friends in my chef job in Derby.  less
Pros
In a normal 12-Close (usually 11pm) you had either 1 or 2 hours break to eat from the staff menu.
Cons
Busy nights could seem longer and a lot challenging.
great place to start
Chef (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 August 2017
was a great place to start, very time consuming, very stresfull but well payed, and i learned to deal with a busy work enviorment witch is a good training for my future carreir as a HGV driver
Pros
free lunches
hard work but fun
chef (Former Employee) –  Aintree, Merseyside14 July 2017
it has been really plesure to work for them but everything what is good finally comes to end. good food good management friends from work lovely. everything was good but you need to look for new chalenges
productive and fun workplace
Chef (Former Employee) –  Norwich24 June 2017
loved work in a team , fun at work, loved learning new cooking skills, learned temperature control ,stock rotation. cooking steaks ,pastas, pizzas and saladas
Pros
free meals, free uniform
Awful place to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Cramlington, Northumberland4 June 2017
Awful attitude would not recommend working here. The managers treat you like rubbish, make you work a 12 hour shift with no break if you don't smoke, it's just not a nice place to work at.
a good place to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear17 April 2017
this is a good place to work but not very good if your wanting to climb the latter or are looking for a promotion the benefits are not that good either.
bad place to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear2 April 2017
bad organisation,
lack of communication,
management except too much and they don't even appreciate the hard job,
always short of staff,
long hours,
low wage,
no team work
Pros
free food
Cons
unsociable shifts
Nice place to work for new chefs or people who have a basic kithcen skills
Chef (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough22 March 2017
They are open from 8am serviced traditional English/American Breakfast then at 12 is started lunch menu till end of day which is normally at 11pm. Its american/italian kitchen so we based on grill and pizza/pasta meals. It's not really hard if you know specifications and follow recipes. Most things are frozen so really don't need to be cook just re-heat. If you are a chef with an experiance at kitchen job is easy but you will not lern a lot of new skills etc.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
contract for 8 hours...from January till May you not do even 30hr.
Productive and fun workplace
Chef (Current Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham13 March 2017
My most enjoyable part of the job is everything. I don't have worse or better sections to work. Work in kitchen is my passion not just work. I like what I doing!
Pros
Free lunch
Good place
CHEF (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster17 January 2017
Good place to work but my collegues doesn't like me so they make me cry sometimes and that was the reason of my leaving from there.
only strong people
Chef (Former Employee) –  Wigan11 January 2017
In Wigan was my best years at work fun,easy, so much love here to work.Meet amazing people here when company was at the best years for me so much care about employee.
Avoid if possible
Chef (Former Employee) –  Braehead3 January 2017
This place is a nightmare. Work which should do six or seven persons has to be completed by three. In mean time guys has to organise they break.
I get on great with the Managers
Chef (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough6 October 2016
The management in Frankie and Bennys are good to work with, i like the job as im always on the go and thrive on a fast paced environment, id consider the hardest part of the job is understanding some of the other Chefs as they are Polish but i've learnt to be patient with them.
Pros
Free meals and good employees discount
typical day at work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Harrow on the Hill22 September 2016
a typical day at work will consist of cooking food , preparing for next day and cleaning the equipment through out the day aswell as at the end of the day.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
poor managment
Produtive and funny place
Chef (Former Employee) –  Liverpool Airport23 August 2016
I enjoyed the experience but not rushed things very well
I like work in frankie beacause I need know more recipe and culture,Im portuguêse I want proguess my career
Pros
Good time work
productive and fun workplace
Chef (Former Employee) –  Barnsley9 July 2016
I worked for the company on a contrackt for 7 months with no typical day and hours at work. I have got experience at work under the pressure, organizing time and teamwork.
Hard place to work
Giltbrook - Chef (Former Employee) –  nottinghamshire5 November 2015
No support from Co-workers either management. Really hard to work environment and people and not social hours of working.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long/Flexible hours
work and fun
Chef (Former Employee) –  London, ENG17 September 2015
It employs a variety of personalities, mainly Polish.
It is very busy and managers do promote every now and then.
There is so much pressure put onto workers which can upset them sometimes. At busy times, unfriendly time may be a concern. Everyone is busy trying to provide service and this leads to swearing in the environment sometimes.
Pros
Free meal per shift
Cons
lack of adequate timetable for students
terrible
chef (Former Employee) –  Lancashire2 June 2015
-management have no idea how to run a business
-you are paid minimum wage and expected to do a ridiculous work load
-under staffed all the time
-shifts change all the time never have a good work - social life ratio
no job security
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Frankie and Benny's. Our community is ready to answer.

Frankie and Benny's Reviews by Location