Fortnum & Mason Employee Reviews

Fun and Interesting
Christmas Temp Night Replenisher (Former Employee) –  London4 March 2019
I think Fortnum & Mason is a great place to work because its big and has 5 floors. If you are energetic and flexible you will enjoy working their. The managers are lovely.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours.
Overall fun but with lots of disappointments
Stock Assistant (Current Employee) –  London Heathrow Airport23 January 2019
I worked at F&M at Heathrow and I was honestly disappointed overall. Most staff there were miserable and the atmosphere was negative - full of gossip about other members of staff.

One manager always picked on me, constantly accusing me of not doing my job properly, always shouting at me in front of colleagues and customers, making work much harder than everyone else and always wanting me to work her way or no way - if I make one small mistake she will have a right go at me. I complained to the store manager who did nothing and defended her the whole time. This completely ruined my enjoyment on the job.

For my age, the salary is good and the Pret card benefit is great but that’s about it.
Pros
Pret card topped up with £80 per month, good salary
Cons
Long hours on full time shifts and some managers treat you unfairly
Good for your CV but ...
TEAM LEADER AND FOOD MATERIAL CONTROLLER (Former Employee) –  London20 January 2019
No money, no break.
But good for your CV

High quality products
Stress

But I suggest this place to all the people who want to built their curriculum vitae.
Pros
Good for your CV
Cons
No money, no break.
Demanding, but good as jobs go
Customer sales assistant (Former Employee) –  London23 August 2018
Shifts can be odd, and by neccessity, there will be a few late (finishing 10pm or 11pm) shifts, followed immediately by an early shift (starting 7am or 8am). But everyone has to do this sometimes, so you're just doing your part. If you really need certain evenings off, for classes or the like, the managers will usually accommodate this, which is awfully nice of them. Around Christmastime, it will be very difficult to schedule consecutive days off, and holiday is extremely limited. If you work in the warehouse, they can start as early as 2am or 3am, so have a way of getting to Central London in time for that.

Has a way of taking up your entire life. But, the culture is mostly good, the people are quite nice, and sometimes there will be a little perk from the managers, like free samples. At Christmas, every employee gets a present from the CEO (we got bone china mugs).

So, basically a standard retail job, but with slightly better pay (especially if you are a permanent worker, rather than a temp). And you get to wear a tailcoat. But you will have to clean your uniform yourself (dryclean only), and because drycleaning usually takes more than the day you have off, you won't.

A good option. It could be a lot worse, really.
Pros
Nice uniform, decent pay, mostly good staff and customers
Cons
Long hours, dry-clean your own uniform, odd shifts
Very supportive place
BARTENDER (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 April 2018
I've learned a lot of english culture there, met very nice people who have reached many things in life and are quite popular. Normal day at work in Fortnum & Mason is smile every morning, breakfast tea with milk, many families eating breakfast and you supporting them with refreshing drinks. It used to be lovely place, I really loved it.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Too many managers
Great place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London11 February 2018
Great place to work. Good discounts good staff. Friendly people. Good facilitys for staff. Good rates if pay. Good holiday scheme avaliable. Enjoyed working here
Productive workplace
Line worker (Former Employee) –  Sutton, Cambridgeshire1 February 2018
I started my shift either at 4.30am or 6pm. Undertake a brief, then placed into appropriate line. I then proceeded to make hampers for most of the shift. I also sorted stock, returns, labeled hampers, printed labels, priced items, put items into lorries and brought them out (by hand) etc. This made me feel slightly underappreciated, as this was not stated in my contract.
Pros
Good wage and free refreshments
Cons
Cold, lots of confusion during shifts from lack of management
Good job
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 January 2018
Easy going and relaxed job. Salary is ok for the job. Good people to work with, very friendly and nice. Easy to learn tings and all in all really fun. Customers are great too!
Supply Chain Assistant
Supply Chain Assistant (Former Employee) –  Piccadilly, Greater London20 January 2018
Horrible environment, everyone is miserable working at the office.
I was completely miss-sold the role and my manager;s childish, lack of professionalism and rudeness were uncanny.
Pros
beautiful store and interesting products
Cons
Toxic office environment
Dreadful company
Customer Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  London26 November 2017
-The worst places I have ever worked in.
-Assistant managers were rude and fake. she didnt even know my name after three weeks!
-Supervisors walked around treating us very badly and talking behind staff backs
-When I left the company didnt pay me what they were suppose to.
- The company is not all what it seems on the outisde
Pros
Food discount, staff discount
Cons
poor management, rude supervisors
A terrible place to work in
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London30 October 2017
This store is a terrible place to work in, the managers are terrible and not friendly at all and all the staff are unhappy. They do not pay well and people are always leaving. It was not a good place to work in.
Cons
Long hours bad pay unfriendly managers
Worst ever place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Piccadilly, Greater London27 October 2017
The building it is very beautiful. Long hours and low pay.
Managers are very SNUB and they think are better of everybody’s. Some staff are very unfriendly and high opinion about themselves too.
Managers are two faces, back stabbing ......etc. Shift work long hours, low pay and treat staff likes SLAVE
Pros
Free launches and coffee to canteen
Cons
Long hours, low pay
Bad management so avoid!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Piccadilly, Greater London25 July 2017
The store relies on its reputation which you become aware of when you join, so it's a shame that it isn't reflected on working there. Long hours and not good pay for a store of that calibre. Very busy and tiring but worst of all it is run by terrible management. Maybe for a Christmas job but otherwise avoid there are plenty of other retail jobs in London who pay better.
Cons
When there's staff its great fun
Sales Assistant- Charcuterie (Current Employee) –  London27 June 2017
Lets take Christmas for example, despite it being busy and the store being open longer hours for trade there was a good work effect we were a team everyone got along and the managers seemed to have everything under control. But since then team has been dropping like leaves in the Autumn. The managers are genuinely nice but the problem lies with the communication with them and the directors because managers don't seem to have much say who they bring into an interview. But Fortnums is a great company to work for and hopefully by the time you start it will get back into full swing, just be prepared to move around until were fully staffed.
Pros
Samplying food and interacting with customers
Cons
Lack of staff
Ssles Assistant (Former Employee) –  Piccadilly2 May 2017
Worked there for a year. Its great on your CV but hours are long, pay is very low and management is not good. My colleagues make it fun. Christmas bonus is a christmas pudding (not joking), no company christmas party. Staff are not valued. Company are stingy considering the amount of money they make.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours low pay
Great brand
Retail Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Stpancras5 April 2017
Good place to work. Grea time pass last three years with the team. Currently i am looking for a different & new challange where i can progress for a better future.
Valuable experience
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  London20 April 2016
I worked within the Customer Relations department. The role involved directly dealing with customer queries and complaints via telephone, email and letters as well as processing clients Christmas orders. This was a temporary Christmas contract that was due to end in December, but I was asked to return for two more months. This job taught me many important administrative skills, including, how to develop a professional telephone manner and how to compose letters to customers.
Interesting and Diverse
Supply Planner (Current Employee) –  London11 April 2016
I have had an interesting career at Fortnums. Developed new skills and knowledge and seen significant change.

There are some very busy periods, and it can get very intense.
Bullying culture illegal working hours
Replenishment Staff (Current Employee) –  Piccadilly19 February 2016
Too many bullying managers. Illegal working hours in breach of 11 hour rule, you finish at 22.30 hrs, then start at 08.00 hrs. They give you breaks when the canteen is closed. Managers will bully you and no one actually gives you any mentorship as promised. Managers shout at you in front of customers and staff very unprofessional and disorganised. They treat their replenishment staff like donkeys. Not allowed to sit down during shift even if you are heavily pregnant. Racist culture. Managers never do anything just inspect and put down your work all day, worst place ever to work.
Pros
Cons
Illegal working hours, racist and bullying managers.
bar and service to the customers
barista (Current Employee) –  London20 January 2016
I start at 9:00 in the morning , I take care of the preparation of my bar sector , orders and preparation of equipment for the day work.I take care of the cafeteria and spirits and not only.My work ends at 19:00.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fortnum & Mason. Our community is ready to answer.

Fortnum & Mason Reviews by Location