FOREIGN AND COMMONWEALTH OFFICE Employee Reviews

good job
Subbing for supervisor printer (Former Employee) –  London26 April 2018
Staff were great and lower management caring. machinery good and well cared for. staff great. lots of benefits. Salary good. good canteen etc. would recommend the job to anyone.
Pros
good reliable job
Cons
poor manager
Fun place to work
Diplomat and Senior Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 November 2017
Fun place to work and gives you great experience. Teaches you many great skills above all building relationships and working in the dynamic arena of international affairs.
Exciting office at the forefront of diplomatic relations globally
Desk Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 June 2017
The website will tell you all you need to know.

A fast changing global environment ensures an exciting career with the FCO. Plenty of opportunities to travel and work overseas. A change in role every two or three years keeps things interesting.
condition is quite poor
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London8 February 2017
Management is not organise, however, training is giving each six months. We have good teamwork. Meeting high foreign diplomas
The hardest part of the job is having people trespass a loud and angry person and avoiding complacency
Pros
Cons
12 hours
Good place to start a career
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 December 2016
Excellent for young people seeking to work overseas
busy role but you will not bored
Good team working

Negative resources been cut means increasing workload
Pros
Annual Leave
Cons
N/a
Nice people to work for
Decorator (Former Employee) –  London16 September 2016
I went to Moscow and Oslo to hang wallpaper. I had a great time and was very well looked after. The whole experience was great.
Pros
Nice places to work
Cons
away from home
Banking and Projects Officer (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes27 July 2016
I received a lot of in-house training, used a lot of new applications. Met lovely people from all backgrounds, assisted management with various internet banking projects and implemented it. It was a big success. We worked real hard and did take time to celebrate the completion too...
Pros
good team to work with
interesting job
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes13 June 2016
interesting culture and job roles within company ,nice co workers .
good holiday entitlement .good advancement opportunity's
Friendly & Multicultural environment
Language Tutor (Former Employee) –  London25 February 2016
I taught Lithuanian to British diplomats at the Diplomatic Service Language Centre of the FCO. The job was interesting and rewarding.
I was providing language training to ambassadors, political secretaries and other diplomats. I had to introduce Lithuanian culture, relevant political issues, e.g. integration into EU, NATO, economics, social aspects. I was also involved with cultural seminars and linguistic training sessions.
The management was great, we had to regularly be upraised and had to write reports ourselves. The line managers were always very helpful and friendly. My work colleagues were tutors from different countries of the world, it was a pleasure to work and socialise with them. The hardest part of the job was saying good-bye to my students. The most enjoyable and rewarding part was seeing the results.
Great place to work if you wish to travel and enjoy liaising with people from different countries
L&D/HR Manager (Former Employee) –  London21 June 2015
My diplomatic service experience enables me to demonstrate confidentiality, sensitivity, initiative and sound judgement. My ability to be resilient, flexible and adaptable was largely developed whilst working at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London intertwined with 9 years overseas postings to embassies overseas. In addition, the rich experience and knowledge I gained through interaction with a diverse range of people and cultures both at home and overseas makes me a credible candidate.

I have good organisational, communication and interpersonal skills. I am a reliable team player, able to work under pressure, with minimum supervision and discretion. I also have fast/accurate IT skills thus able to deliver a rapid turnover of tasks. For example my work at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office would often involve preparation of urgent briefing for No10 or the Palace which would mean re-prioritising other tasks in order to produce work to a high quality at short notice and within tight deadlines.

My Masters degree and CIPD courses covered a diverse range of modules, for example, employee relations, employment law, performance and reward, effective management and leadership, learning and development, people resourcing and strategic HRM. In addition, I also undertook dissertations on managing workplace diversity and occupational stress. I am therefore aware of the importance of achieving employee engagement/commitment and its effect on recruitment/retention, motivation, organisational culture, employer branding and thus competitive advantage. However, I am willing
  more... to learn new skills to keep abreast with rapid changes in innovation and technology.  less
Pros
Travel. Flexible/Remote working.
interesting
CLERK (Former Employee) –  hanslope park6 May 2015
i found this position, very interesting. i would type letters, use the teleprinter, file, photo copy, run errands and alot more. This position was at hanslope park
Vast amounts of resources and possibilities. Unfortunately, reactive instead of being proactive.
Freelance Mass Media Operator (Former Employee) –  London, ENG18 February 2015
Vast amounts of squandered resources both in terms of material and human resources. The organisation is more reactive than pro-active and priorities can change suddenly for no justifiable reasons. The interaction between branches of the organisation was often difficult or non-existing. Plenty of wasted opportunities in terms of taking advantage of offshore possibilities. Extremely bureaucratic and inefficient.
Challenging but rewarding
Desk Officer and Manager (Former Employee) –  London18 January 2015
Working on the Queen's visit to Ireland was fun. Working with the Irish Embassy in London was also a good laugh.
Professional ITIL environment
IT Service Desk/Major Incident &Transition Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes4 May 2014
Highly professional ITIL environment - Global Company

High pressure, fast paced, multi disciplined requiring self motivation and excellent time management.
Pros
Learned many things that I can use in the future
Cons
Travelling from Birmingham to MK everyday
Challenging Environment
Security Cleared IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hanslope Park, ENG1 February 2014
Exposure to a large cross section of people from all walks of life across the world.
Very Busy Government Building
Front House Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London12 January 2014
Very busy building with lots of different people, dfferent types of people and some confidential information
Fast Paced and Ever Changing
Member of Her Majesty's Diplomatic Service (Current Employee) –  London, ENG30 December 2013
I have been a member of Her Majesty's Diplomatic Service since 1999. My current position is Diary Manager to the Head of the Diplomatic Service. The work is fast paced and ever changing due to the nature of the job - natural disasters, conflict and threats. On a daily basis I have to prioritise requests for time in the diary, juggle the many demands whilst making sure the best use of time is made. I have to make judgements on what to move and what to postpone should urgent requests come through. I have to balance time for meeting with time for preparing and also ensure work/life balance.

The most enjoyable part is the frustration of managing a complex diary...I love it and thrive on it.
Work at FCO
Reception Manager (Former Employee) –  London19 November 2013
Any service provider management job at Foreign and Commonwealth Office is a mental torture specially if you are a coloured person.
Enjoyable work experience.
Electronics engineer (Former Employee) –  London19 April 2013
A good employer to work for. Training always available when required.
The FCO is a high profile site and comes with lots of opportunties
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whitehall London30 November 2012
Take over from day or night Supervisor. Read and sign Daily occurrence book. Log on Computer to read hand over information. Prepare attendace sheet,Manning compliance sheet, radio and duty log sheets. Assign Guard duties. Start post checks and external patrols. Start internal patrols. Start breaks on various post.Read emails.You always learn something new each day. Each day is deferent.I log and report each incident to management. We had a good team work when I am busy I delegate some of the work to my co-workers and they are always willing. When called upon to deal with unreasonable visitors by the receptionist. On remembrance Day when you get to see all the royal family.
Pros
free parking