Flying Tiger Copenhagen Employee Reviews

Decent workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Angel Station30 August 2019
It's a good place to work if you're just looking to earn some money while studying, I have a lot of fun with my other colleagues and everyone respects each other. Having worked there for nearly 9 months I can say that it is a comfortable area to work in.
fun workplace, no social life
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wandsworth, Greater London17 June 2019
this is definitely a fun workplace environment, however lack of social life is the downside. also the company as a whole from when I started in 2016 to 2019 the company has gone down hill.
H.O don't care about you and the managers are useless as they just sit in the office all day doing nothing.
Pros
40% staff discount
Cons
no social life
Unprofessional
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex30 May 2019
Disappointing experience here. Surface level fun/community atmosphere is comfortable and enjoyable at first but this led to very unprofessional working environment where behaviour such as gossiping and unprofessional ‘jokes’ were dismissed and even engaged in by higher roles, such as the supervisors. Major lack of honesty and professionalism where the supervisors chose not to confront you with an issue in person, and just gossip to others about it instead. Ironic considering the family atmosphere they preach. Surprisingly dismissive of health and safety - often working alone in store warehouse with ceiling high piles of heavy boxes without any supervision. No basic fire drill runs or given any proper understanding of staff entry routes back into the building when working after hours. No engagement from HR when approached.
Pros
Friendly co-workers mostly
Cons
Awful management/questionable health & safety
Good workplace if you want to progress
Dual Site Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London30 April 2019
Flying Tiger is for progression of their staff, they have a strong company value and they believe in you as an individual. you are expected to work hard and have a strong team building skills.
Pros
Friends for life
Cons
Long hours, tired after work, back pain
Extremely Poor management and progression
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City26 April 2019
Working in Tiger in Aberdeen I have never received worse treatment from management in the shop. Staff members were not cared for with management forgetting to provide breaks, pushing staff to work extra hours without accepting no for an answer or asking them to work over time just adding them in the rota for overtime. Management were extremely inappropriate making remarks on the shop floor in front of both staff and customers. Management did also no treat staff appropriately having a go at staff for being off sick and even when staff were off due to bereavement. Management are also EXTREMELY unprofessional gossiping about staff members, trying to argue with staff in shop floor and disregarding staffs needs. I have never found so many members of staff crying in the stock room over how they have been treated by their management.
When applying I was hired as a supervisor and was told there was room to progress higher up in the company to be told 3 weeks later I couldn’t be a supervisor anymore because I was a student even though it was known I was a student when I was hired. I was made a key holder from then until my hours were drastically cut and my position was taken of me without being told, I only found out through seeing it change on the rota from key holder to general assistant.
Cons
Woking store was an absolute pleasure to work in
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woking22 April 2019
Store i worked in first was amazing and I miss it so much, caring managers, easy going work and fun company to work for. Southampton store was disorganised and stressful though.
Pros
You get to take home products that are low in stock for free
Productive and fun workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kaunas19 April 2019
The balance between the work and salary was very satisfying, the colleagues were very fun to work with, and the work was always done. The managers were also fun and nice to work with. The hardest part of the job for me was before Christmas time, when there were lots of people, and most of them angry for no reason because of all the stress before the holiday. So this time was stressful for us workers and for clients. But overall, the job experience I had was very nice and I would work there again.
Great for a first job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Putney, Greater London16 April 2019
This is a great first job that could easily turn into a passion and inspire someone to progress further in the company and wish to stay. There is a great work and life balance as the hours are not too long and they allow you to have time for yourself. Music is always lovely in the shop and the teams are always a selection of great people.
Pros
good working hours, good pay
Cons
Fast paced but toxic atmosphere
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 April 2019
I worked for Flying Tiger Copenhagen for four years. I met some nice folks, but found the different stores I worked in to be rife with gossiping and favouritism. This created a negative and toxic atmosphere where one felt stressed simply going to work. The work itself was okay if you like a fast-paced atmosphere, but as a member of management you were often expected to work overtime with no extra pay. You did not get your time back unless you worked in excess of two hours overtime in one go. This was demotivating and frankly very exhausting. Enough training was never provided for the functions that one was expected to perform: one was just expected to learn on the go. There was no adequate communication within the management team which led to a fractured leadership structure for the rest of the team. There were often unrealistic goals handed down from head office which gave the impression that they did not care how you got the job done as long as you got it done!
Pros
Good staff discount for cool products
Cons
Toxic atmosphere, gossip, fractured and uncommunicative management, overwork without pay
Overall Enjoyable Workplace
temporary Christmas assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff11 April 2019
I worked as a Christmas sales assistant in Tiger.
As a student this was a brilliant place to work, I was hired on an 8 hour contract and the hours generally ranged from 8-10. No push to work, unless they were short staffed, therefore had a Very Good work/life balance.
Salary was poor. Even though the work is simple it could get tiring and repetitive. The benefits involved however (e.g. earning paws gets you gift cards) were good.
The average day involved restocking, organising displays, working tills and upon close tidying the store. Work was simple but tiring (in my store we had a very steep flight of stairs, running up and down them got a bit tiresome). Didn't really learn anything new as far as retail goes, the store could get very busy however! whilst challenging it made the working day go quickly.
The only part I disliked about working in Tiger was the management, most were lovely and really sympathetic/easy to talk to. Others treated you as though you were 'not at their level' and would seem to take advantage of that. The rest of the team I couldn't fault! It was overall an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
enjoyable work (depending upon manager), good benefits
Cons
short breaks, management, low hourly pay.
Good Part-time job
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln10 April 2019
I working for Flying Tiger Lincoln for almost a year. Everyone was generally great to work for, the first couple of weeks were intense from opening as a new shop, but as it was one of the biggest shops of theirs so sales wasn't much of an issue. There was plenty of overtime available over Christmas time but slacked off to 8 hours pw after that which wasn't a great incentive to stay. As friendly as management were, I'd say it was fairly unorganised at times and sometimes unprofessional.However i would say they were very professional and supportive in terms of their employees' well being. As it was my first retail job, safe to say it couldn't have been better, really.
Pros
friendly, often laid back environment, flexible rota
Cons
minimum contract hours
Friendly but stressful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London26 March 2019
All the staff are lovely. Can get crowded but teamwork pays off. Hour break (unpaid) helps get through the day. Lots of bonuses and great staff discount.
Pros
Staff, discount, atmosphere
Cons
Stressful at times
Fun & chilled, not long term.
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea25 March 2019
I was a sales assistant for Tiger last year during the Christmas period, and it was very fun. I made lots of new friends and enjoyed the whole chilled out atmosphere of the store. However, the pay was very low (4.75) and it was a struggle to get more than 4 hours a week, 1 shift a week. As a key holder or manager I can see the job would have more benefits but as a sales assistant we were basically just cleaners.
Pros
Chilled out, quite satisfying to tidy up
Cons
Low pay
Supportive and friendly environment
Stock controller/ Junior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh14 March 2019
This is my first job in the UK after a horrible experience at the university I was in the same city where I experienced bullying and sexual harassment at Flying Tiger I met very good people, supportive environment, very good training and respect. I found that very clever as the old way of references doesn't mean anything that you are the right person for a job.
Horrible place to work
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire7 March 2019
The whole time working at one of the Flying Tiger stores, I was mistreated by other staff and by one of the supervisors. I had no say in anything, I was limited to one task only (operating tills) for every one of my 8 hour shifts. I raised concerns with the manager about being feeling mistreated and discriminated against by a colleague and they disregarded my issue and laughed in my face.
In regards to cleaning up after the day, I swept the staff room floors and the stairs and a supervisor came out to me and he bent down examining my job telling me to “get a dust pan and brush and clean the dirt in the corners. They watched my every move and they criticised every job I ever did.
We didn’t have a manager for a short period of time therefore my complaints were never taken seriously.
And to top this I was given a horrible reference and they had said i am not fit to work with children which is extremely upsetting as they have no knowledge of how I am with children. Now I am jobless and my passion to work with children has been put on a hold. I will be taking this up with HR, and I will not let this go.
Pros
30% Staff discount
Cons
Poor management
Nice place to work
Christmas temp (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford5 March 2019
Flying tiger Copenhagen was a nice place to experience my first job, the staff were all very friendly and welcoming. The environment was fast pace and extremely busy (especially during the Christmas period) and it got very stressful. My hours were particularly long (for a school student) but they give you lots of choice when you first start there on what your hours can be and they stick to them, so there's no surprise shifts to worry about. The money is very good too!
Pros
money and colleagues
Cons
little flexibility in hours.
Very creative and unique!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Wales14 February 2019
Tiger is a very creative, open minded, relaxed and fun company to work for. BUT...that is dependant on what region/store you work for. In the UK Tiger is a franchise and will have different directors for each region. From sales assistant to store manager you are all in the same boat when it comes to training, merchandising and customer service.
the most perfect place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire10 February 2019
I loved every second working there, the people were fantastic as were the managers. Everyone was very caring. The merchandising was fun and the training was pretty simple.
Pros
the people are amazing, the hours are perfect
Triggered depression & anxiety
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa, Warwickshire18 January 2019
I gained so much experience working at Tiger.
I learnt that this is one of the worst retailers to work for in the Midlands Region for so many reasons.
Health and safety is constantly compromised as part of the ‘tiger way’. In the 2 and a half years I worked there, we never had a fire drill as we were not shown how to work the fire alarm. The fire extinguishers around the shop/back of house were unlabelled, out of date and blocked by stock every single day and fire exits were regularly inaccessible. The stockrooms are a constant obstacle course but again, that’s just the ‘tiger way’. First aid kits are left empty for months on end.
Tiger certainly doesn’t encourage you to express your own opinion and there is a huge lack of compassion, although there are ‘favourites’ within the business who can get away with anything (including bullying) and experience no back lash. The external HR company are appalling, communication skills are extremely poor, although they seem to actively enjoy using the ‘law’ in every situation possible to make Tiger employees working experience a miserable one. The focus is on punishment rather than encouragement. Head office has a ridiculously low payroll target, meaning the lack of staff translates into a workload that is too large and extremely stressful. Head office managers were told ‘if you don’t cut your hours, we’ll cut them for you’. Rather than encouraging individual development and spreading positivity, managers will happily wait for you to screw up, and enjoy ‘gathering evidence’ before threatening your job security.
Store managers (and
  more... head office’s favourites) are taken on several ‘secret’ holidays every year, leaving the rest of the staff and management team within the stores behind to run the shop, with no thanks what’s so ever.
The products are cheaply made and poor quality. Products are regularly withdrawn from sale for quality/copyright issues.
This is not a company that is actively responding to the global plastic crisis, as every product is wrapped in plastic and there is a lot of waste. This company also is happy to send all electrical waste to landfill, regardless of the fact it is now a legal requirement to dispose correctly and the store even advertises to customers in store that they dispose correctly.
The staff turnaround is very high, due to the extreme pressures, and are not being replaced putting yet even more strain upon the remaining staff - and yet the regional managers are still pushing for sales and ignoring the impact this will have on the mental health of the remaining staff.
All in all, a non sustainable way to run a business, I guarantee this company cease trading in the next few years if they carry on the way they are. If you value your mental health, avoid this place like the plague!!
Pros
Free stuff
Cons
Unpaid overtime is expected from managers, Workload is too high & you end taking work home with you, Not allowed your own opinion, Lots of unfair treatment of staff, Unrealistic expectations.
Great Job
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewisham18 January 2019
Managers are great, customers are lovely in general. The store is fun to work in. Pay is pretty good when you consider your responsibilities. Colleagues are all easy to get on with and overall lovely people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flying Tiger Copenhagen. Our community is ready to answer.