FirstGroup

FirstGroup Employee Reviews

United Kingdom149 reviews
It's of the best work place
Wonderful management team. My role is unsocial hours but I enjoy my work and company look after us. Salary is good. No single is the same.
FirstGroup in the leading transport operator in the United Kingdom and North America. Job was very exciting, a lot of stake holder management and presentations at C level.
This job would be perfect without the passengers! People report false allegations against the drivers and the drivers get in trouble despite evidence clearing them. The managers don't care about the drivers. It is good money though and paid weekly.
Transportation has its challenges and First Group provides solutions for an ever congested world,

If you are a pro active and forward thinking individual then First Group is the place for you.

I found success in being inclusive and proactive with my work life, taking on new responsibilities and always saying yes to new opportunities.

They are very good at nurturing talent and giving you opportunities to shine, but you have to be in a positive mindset and see past historic culture and negativity.

If you are a strong influential character looking for a new challenge and an opportunity to make a difference then this is the business for you.
Probably the worst company I have ever worked for, you are just a number and could be replaced in a heartbeat, management are all for themselves. Avoid at all cost.
Pros
Cons
Too long to list
Good work ethic. Collaborative team work and ensuring that everyone can have their say in running the company. Good communications to all areas of the business to ensure everyone is on the same path
After 30yrs I have enjoyed working with all my colleagues both road staff and management. It has been diverse and challenging experience but enjoyable
Every job has its pros and cons,

you can swap and change your shifts to suit around your homelife and the pay is also good with plenty of overtime

cons has to be lack of communication throughout company
Pros
Own boss in a cab, Good money and work mates
Cons
Management could be better
Brilliant place to work relaxed atmosphere and great management! I found the shifts really good 1 weekend I 4 have a great home work balance. Free tea and coffee as well
Unstable small office environment with too many chiefs! Advancement seems dependent on your relationship with management not on work rate and accuracy. Too many people trying to out do each other.
The place is run by idiots. The only way you progress is by being in the managements pocket. Hours are all over the place. You get treated like a piece of cr*p on your shoe by the management and the passengers. No support. Go drive coaches instead.
Pros
Day off
Cons
All of them
A very poor company non existent training. Favouritism is rife amongst managers. No support given at all. Managers don't have a clue about the business or about how to deal with complaints.
The problem with first is that they don't have any staff skills, they don't look after their staff very well and have a large steff turnover. The majority of drivers working with you are a bunch of good friendly people.
Pros
Good friendly staff colleages.
Cons
Bad management.
I took a temporary part-time position to support a strategic project. Very friendly workplace, helpful colleagues and Management was brilliant. My rating for salary/benefits and job advancement is based on my temporary position. On reflection permanent employees seemed very satisfied and loyal having worked there for quite a number of years.
I worked for first bus Weston street for three years.. I must stress this job isn’t for everyone! If you like not being at home, working stupidly long shifts and weekends then this job is for you.

If your a family person this isn’t a good job for you. The day to day running Is shocking, management’ haven’t got a clue what they are even doing so you do get thrown into the fire

I did enjoy working for them but I now work for another bus firm who actually treat you better
Companie serioasa, loc de munca in care ai toate sansele sa devii un profesionist. Nu intotdeuna insa, din cauza programului reusesti sa combini munca si familia.
Pros
mediu pro
This is the worst job I have had in my life so far.

Basically the business is ran on a seniority sheet and they don’t tell new starts that they have no set working rota for possibly years, you are told what shift you are at 1pm the afternoon before. So life plans cannot be made around work easily. Drivers that have been there longer than you get paid £30 a day more and don’t need to work nights or weekends
company itself isn't the best to work for. the guys you work along side are top notch. too many chiefs and not enough Indians. cant pass wind without anyone knowing. very strict want their uniform back when you finish working for them
You can be the nicest bus driver in the world and you will still get treated poorly. Shift patterns irregular and good luck trying to get any favors unless youve been there for 10 years plus. Always TIERD, never home enough to actually enjoy time off because time off is used to catch up on sleep. I was ATTACKED by 6 teenagers on my bus once, Management told me to 'get on with it'. They just dont care about the individual
- as in title - otherwise is your fault even when it's not.
- good amount of holidays but it's hard to move them around.

- stay vigilant.

- management - boo

- union - waste of money,
Driving a bus in the uk is a horrifying experience as the people are very ignorant and entitled and from there all problems begin. Shifts will drain you from any social life or family commitments and the company really does not care. You will be seen as a 6-digit number and thats about it. The pay doesn’t reflect the responsibilities put on you and the sacrifices you will make.