FirstGroup Employee Reviews

Performer
Operations Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol10 January 2019
Accountable for performance. I pride myself on always doing my best. Even when additional work is added I always give it my full attention and will stay on and make sure all that I can do is done, I do feel I could be more productive if I had access to a laptop so I could clear more work in a quieter environment.
Supportive of each other. All my work is directly supportive of others. I pride myself on doing my best in the work I do as it is part of a link to support my line managers and our front line staff in their roles within the business.
Committed to customers. I feel I have high standards in all our values but I also feel that with better time utilisation of many of the tasks in operations I feel we could deliver a better level of service to our/my direct customer who is the drivers.
I am very pleased with how I have adapted and risen to all aspects of my role and the support I have been able to give to the staff managers and operations manager by taking on additional tasks and be a part of driving our KPI’s in the right direction and helping us achieve our bronze operational excellence accreditation. I am very interested in self progression and enjoy my job, I will continue to strive forward and deliver my very best all the time. My immediate line managers have been supportive and encouraging but I do feel at times my extra efforts are not recognized by persons outside of my immediate team, this does not raise my concerns but when I get tasks from outside my line managers my work load increases without consideration of what else I must do. My personal working nature
  more... means that I will always get tasks allocated to me completed and to the best of my ability, but I find myself putting myself under pressure as I am fully aware that if I am out of the business for anytime I always come back to all work as there is no one else to do. Again, I am very happy with the work I do and what I have achieved but would really like to see some of my recommendations/objectives actioned or at least discussed so as productivity and time management can be improved. The addition of my own laptop is welcomed but I feel there is more that can be done as mentioned in objectives but I am aware of the forth coming management change so actioning these has slowed but I don’t want them to be forgotten.  less
Driver Hengrove depot Bristol
PSV Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol12 December 2018
I am an experienced driver over 25 years of coach and bus work when I joined first and was treated like I had just passed my test.
The company only seem to want brand new trainee drivers but this is wrong as us old ones help the newbies and you get a better mix that way
Management was I would say unapproachable and very inexperinced
Biggest joke was I applied for the Bristol airport bus when I was told I had not got enough experience, to which I pointed to a picture on the wall of the day that service started 20
Years prior showing the manager myself as one of the original drivers of that route
The whole place is a joke
I decided to leave the company shortly afterwards
This company was a great place to work 20 years ago but unfortunately has been destroyed by bad management and I would avoid as it will put you off being a psv driver.
Pros
Free travel, variety of first benefits
Engineering
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire7 November 2018
Once a great place to work. Our work schedule is ridiculous : twice the number of bus no more bays. Understaffed with agency staff on better rates. Avoid.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Work load, condition pay.
Difficult being a Bus Driver
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol3 November 2018
Worked here twice in the past most of the other drivers are nice as you are in a similar situation and the training is good but they need to try and help the drivers by educating the general public on what drivers go through as they are on the receiving end of the publics abuse. Though the job is fun at the start, you eventually get past the honeymoon period and then realise you are just a wage number to the company. When you start you get given a new wage number when you start which means after training you will be put on a rota likely to be the busiest and difficult routes and altough you are not grafting, you have to keep your concentration level at a high the whole time when behind the wheel as you can be one wrong decision/mistake away from losing your job as well as having to put up with a lot of inconsiderate road users, a difficult running time to keep to and abuse from angry passengers. The shift patterns are not very family friendly and say good bye to weekends and any chance of sociable life.
Management has been none existent this year since big changes/cuts.
Pros
Training is good, you get free Bus Travel, paid weekly and good pension scheme
Cons
You are seen a number, unsociable hours, 1 in 4-5 weekends off.
worst job ever
PCV Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Orpington20 October 2018
Luckily the bus depot I worked at is long gone driving buses was ok until you deal with the general public I would never go back to this type of work again
Very enjoyable.
Revenue Clerk (Former Employee) –  Glasgow31 August 2018
Working within FirstBus gave me the opportunity to learn about data entry. This was something that I had never done in any of my previous jobs.

The staff I worked with made sure that I was able to carry out the data entry without any problems and if I needed assistance, they would be on hand to help out.
Good company. But very blame cultured. Making the job very slow with far to much paper work.
Fitter (Former Employee) –  Swansea14 July 2018
Good company to work for. But very strict on H&s to a point it was difficult to do your job. And the paperwork was a bit over the top to achieve your goals.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Shifts.
Flexitime Busy Accounts Job
Banking Service Team member (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City11 July 2018
Nice place to work, flextime
busy at month end, friendly work colleagues and management
training provided
support provided
car park for free parking in town
good location
Enjoyable environment
Poster Team (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 June 2018
Night shift work, was always enjoyable. No supervision on call to various bus depots around Glasgow, had to be required to know and complete the job on your own or within a team. No complaints with management, would say their handling of staff was great. There were no real hard parts to the job. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the peace and quiet working in bus depots at night with nobody else around.
Workplace Culture
Human Resources Officer (Former Employee) –  Bath6 June 2018
First Bus like to think that there is positive engagement but in reality morale is low. There is restructure on a regular basis which does not help with regards morale
management horrid
Management Accountant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 May 2018
management team corrupt nd lazy
all the work gets done by the aff underpaid staff who work hard all day to be moaned at all day long
idare you try and talk to anyone about it
Pros
free travel
Cons
everything
productive and fun
UK Rail Business Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City15 April 2018
great people with great vision
I learned so much more about cross functional and cross companies needs by working at group level. Hardest thing was to leave
enjoyable and friendly
bus driver for Thamesway/First Group (Former Employee) –  Essex26 March 2018
As a bus driver patience and good customer service was an essential part of the job and also not forgetting your routes.
Hardest part of the job is dealing with unpleasant passengers and other road users.
The most enjoyable part is being told thank you.
dread full place to work
driver (Former Employee) –  Wales4 March 2018
you will have no family life you are nothing more than a number the hours are appalling the management are diabolical they suggest they care but they don't I was moaned at for taking time off for a funeral
Pros
Cons
hours
unsociable work hours
PCV Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Gosport7 February 2018
this job has changed so much over the last ten years you are now not only a driver but a salesman and customer service advisor. very long hours and not very good for family life work life balance
Productive and fun workplace
Commercial Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire1 February 2018
Good company to work for. Great development opportunities. Free travel on local public transport. Great colleagues, let down by senior members of the companies desire to cut and burn.
Pros
Free travel
Too long ago to give an accurate representation of the company
HR Admin Assistant (Interim position) (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow22 January 2018
Too long ago to give an accurate representation of the company

Temporary role for only a few months , office building was poor but have since relocated
Liked the Company
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Basildon10 January 2018
This company got me through bus driver training to obtain my PCV and I wouldn't have got where I am now if it wasn't for them.

I liked the Management team and enjoyed bus driving. Lots of opportunity for overtime and different duties within the company. money pretty poor though.
Fun work place
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire9 January 2018
Lovely place to work at, enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and colleagues, made a lot of friends and gained a lot of experience. Build a good reputation and relationship with customers,.
Self Motivation
Special Projects Manager (Former Employee) –  Essex8 January 2018
Having spent 35 years at a bus company that merged to become FirstGroup, I was initially a Crew Driver, then One Man Operation, Supervisor, Depot Manager and ended in a Special Managerial Role. If you’re flexible it was a wonderful opportunity to learn and experience an interest and varied employment. As no doubt with any working experience there were complete idiots, average reasonable working colleagues and some exceptional work mates who were highly valuable with whom to work.

Overall I would give the people and the jobs a 90% success rate. They biggest significance is how you approach the job and your attitude to those with whom you work.

Where possible treat them as you would like to be treated. Nobody will please everybody, but if you try not to exploit your situation but do as good a job as you can and the bus industry is a good life.
Pros
Reasonable Pay, Pension Scheme, Travel Benefits, Flexible Hours, Large Selection Of Staff, Propects For Promotion Through Experience.
Cons
10 % Of Management And Staff I Found It Difficult To Work With Satisfactorily.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FirstGroup. Our community is ready to answer.