First UK Bus Employee Reviews

Liars and mistreated
Driver (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester1 September 2019
Im not one to give a company a bad review!!!! But this is exceptional.

Back in 2015 december i lost my daughter then in march the following year 2016 i lost my son, following week into the new year, i went to see "management" as i wasnt coping, funnily enough most of the management team were on training. So i informed the traffic desk on the situation and left with immediate effect on personal circumstances.

So no support from them what so ever, letters sent to my home address demanding me to come into work. Telephone calls etc..
Very disrespectful.

Due to this ive been rejected from various companies old and present for various Bus driving jobs.

WELL DONE (FIRST GROUP).
Pros
Just free travel
Cons
Long hours and no respect, last in first out!
First Class Winkers
driver (Former Employee) –  manchester5 August 2019
When they took over our company, their only interest was to shaft the staffs wages and conditions, shaft the passengers pockets, and shaft the maintenance of the buses, all to save money. Management dont give a monkeys and drivers are always guilty whatever...they closed our canteens, took our walking time to bus stations off us, took our spreadover pay off us leaving unpaid breaks of 3 or 4 hours, completely useless to anyone, duties got longer and longer, sometimes you would finish a late about midnight and be scheduled back in at 0930. Complain???? Standard answer "Your a professional driver, you should be able to manage" The stress they caused staff was unbelievable. I was so tired it was dangerous. Our buses were filthy inside and out. ETC ETC ETC. They scrapped all our union agreements without any negotiation.......they destroyed moral and turned the workforce around to absolutely HATE them. The whole rotten company is DANGEROUS, After 35 years, I finally started having severe whiplash cramps in my back from those awful cabseats, 1000s of speedramps and Firsts neglected suspension-less buses. They simply accused me of lying and sacked me. I am left with what can only be described as life changing injuries. The wheel has now gone round full circle, therers virtually nothing left of the company they paid so much for all those years ago...
Liars
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Glasgow5 August 2019
Promise of salary that cant be achieved, constant shotgun to head over targets, and once there they move u to spare where you have no say over bad shift pattern which changes less then 12 hours before shift. Only there to suit older corpy drivers.
Rotten company avoid like the plague
Driver (Former Employee) –  Bannockburn, Stirlingshire5 August 2019
This company is nothing but a hiding place for.cowards bullies liars and.cheats. if you go to Bannockburn depot you will also have to deal with sectarian nonsense and orange order scumbags who have their noses up management's rear ends. Customers in area are foul mouthed abusive animals who will lie about you simply to get free travel. Students at Stirling university are despicable jumped up little cowards as are the staff. Your better off on the brew.
Pros
None at all
driver
bus driver (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield1 August 2019
Hours are all over the plave no time for family or to live your life. Treated like rubbish if your not a YES person or your face dosnt fit. Managment are horrible in huddersfield depot to the point 1 was having a affair with the supervisor who in turn was engaged to 1 of the bus drivers there.
Send you out with broken buses and always blame you for them breaking down amd losing milage
If you non religion you dont get half as much support and sorry to say if you a young white person dont try getting help to take care of a growing family theres no chance

paid £2 less a hour tham people on A rate doing the same job as you and can not progress to there grade because they all sold it not to be able to have in huddrsfield. all back stabbing little muppets

injured on there dodgy buses that get booked off for safty reasons to be past to the next driver not been fixed or even looked at.
place is a joke
Pros
non
Cons
to many to list
Like sacking disabled people
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hampshire27 July 2019
Don't ask to go part time because of your disability - they will sack you... worse than that, they will train you up after asking the question and expect you to pay £2,500 for the PCV License and THEN sack you! They knew I was disabled when i took the job... it didn't help that I was not allowed to go to the toilet for 6 hours whilst training... nevermind having a period!
I'm getting a debt relief order... so the joke is on you Firstbus!
They say it's the best money in the area... I was self employed before and earnt more in an hour than I did in a day at Firstbus
They said they didn't do part time contracts... but if you know someone you work with... you can have part time hours
Pros
Cons
Back stabbing staff, rubbish pay, not allowed to go to the toilet for 6 hours, not disabled freindly
Don't do it
PCV Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth24 July 2019
Work here and you'll be entered into the never ending raffle of couruption, family and friends of the managers need not worry. The public 8 found was OK It's the unsociable hours, the fixed holiday, the pay for what you do driving a potential killing machine around and the pressure from management who has nothing better to do
First bus driver (3 years)
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Leeds22 July 2019
I worked at first for just under 3 years.
For the first 2 years you are on lowest rate and they take the training cost of your wage weekly.(if you leave you gotta pay full cost back)
Every day is long 12-14 hours and long breaks some times 3.5 hours.
Shifts are crazy and they sometimes give you only 9 hours between finishing and starting again.(so you could finish at midnight at depo and be starting in city centre next day at 9)
You never start and finish in same place so you gotta drive your car to depo then catch a bus into city centre which all adds hours onto you day unpaid.
Holidays are given to you so if you got kids you are screwed.
Everyone on sick notes as to avoid lates/ stressful routes.
Management are an absolute joke just yes men to higher up management.
If you do decide to join first make sure you join union as management will try to bully you.
First dont give free wifi, hot drinks, food, overtime,
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Would not recommend this place at all
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire18 July 2019
Driving school was good, enjoyed it.. then the went into service.

Management are no help at all, buses are horrendous, this place is an absolute joke to work at, always on same routes, if you dont know a route you've gotta put a pilot request in, management are useless, try changing rotas and they say it goes off Seniority even though theres plenty of people on a different rota that hasnt been there that long, this place loves favouritising people,
I could go on.

Dont work here!!! You will not like it!
Pros
Home time
Cons
Long hours, 3 piecer, town rota, buses, management, drivegreen, town finishes, town starts, same routes.
Not bad as a stepping stone to other things.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Wales14 July 2019
Routes and passengers vary depending on your area but the job is very samey after a few months. I got given part time hours per my request after two years and found my work life balance was much better although full time wasnt much of a stretch.
Pros
Progression routes. Free training. Great experience.
Cons
Repetitive. Alot of red tape for the smallest things but it is a large company.
Bullish manager
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire9 July 2019
Used to be a fun excellent place to work.
Even the ex managers was great they actually helped you with things.
The current engineering manager all he does is shout and ball all day, and make your working day extremely hard to get the slightest small job done properly and safely.
DO NOT COME TO FIRST BUS SHEFFIELD.
Pros
Home time
Cons
Very poor management
Don’t do it if you value your sanity
Driver (Former Employee) –  Port Talbot6 July 2019
Simply put, this job left me borderline depressed.
Long hours, constantly changing the rotas, making unannounced changes to services and fares leaving passengers ranting at you. Told when to take your holidays, 1 year I was allocated the first 2 weeks of January with 1 week back at work then an other week off, told to suck it up..!
Abused and spat at by passengers and you’re expected to smile and say thank you, are disciplined for the slightest thing, if a passenger complains you’re dragged over the coals without your side of the story or if there even is a story to tell.
Truly the worse experience of my working life, but I miss my friends there..
Pros
Free bus travel, cheap rail travel, canteen banter
Cons
Long hours, horrific management
Just relax
PCV Driver (Current Employee) –  Hadleigh, Essex3 July 2019
The job can be really stressful if you let it get to you so just take a chilled attitude and the day's can be more relaxed than expected. I personally enjoy the job but some days you do wonder is it worth it especially when everything seems to be against you, yeah it's shift work so be aware
Pros
Paid to sit in traffic
Cons
Shifts
Your just a number.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Bristol28 June 2019
Under valued, poor communication from management. Everything black and white no in between. Managers are box tickets, not allowed to manage. New drivers taken advantage of.
Pros
Free travel, cheap train travel.
Cons
Work weekends. Management. Job uncertainty due to buy out.
The driver is a part of the bus...
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Bristol20 June 2019
The driver cost far too much for this company, and as they like to save ewery penny, you will feel that!
No life and no way to ask them for anything, but they will ask you for ewerithing.
Tc and other co-workers are realy good. The problem is the hole sistem. Money pump...
Pros
Better than the warehouse
Cons
Lot things
Terrible Place to Work
Engineering (Former Employee) –  Sheffield13 June 2019
Management are bullies, they used to be ok, but replaced by an egotistical MD and an absolute bully of a engineering manager, the company have employed bullied specifically to get rid of good staff. Total joke what they have done to olive grove.

Used to be a good place, now its a joke.

Health and Safety is a joke with numerous near death accidents.

Should be shut down asap

They cant get staff, all the good ones have left, who wants to put up with this management!
Pros
Cons
No tool fit for job, no parts to repair buses, dangerous place
Worst bus company EVER!!!!!!!
Railair coach driver (Former Employee) –  Reading Station, Berkshire2 June 2019
This company will use you and if you don’t become a slave to this company they will sack you. ! This company operates a modern day slavery system they will work you to the bone without paying any overtime rate whatsoever and the managers will not have any mercy on you if make a mistake which you will sooner or later it’s the nature of the job that you will.... no training whatsoever this company has lost all its contacts in London and trust me they will never back you if there’s any complaint also they make up complaints to make you feel small so they can use intimidation tactics to enforce their modern day slavery ways on drivers and finally they will always underpay you deliberately to try save company money another hidden policy they use to try to save themselves a few extra pounds...... you will have no social life whatsoever working for these mugs because there Rotas are designed to suck the life out of you ..... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
Pros
None whatsoever
Cons
Become modern day slave
Not run properly
Driver (Former Employee) –  Larbert/Livingston29 May 2019
It almost seems that the company wants to be run into the ground on purpose, silly service changes, long shifts and some poorly maintained buses. Seem so focused on trying to compete with a rival than focusing on doing the job better
Pros
Met some good guys
Cons
Everything else
Be Warned
Driver (Current Employee) –  Hampshire29 May 2019
Been with First for nearly 20 years and it's going from bad to worse. At our depot we've had 11 leave this month including long term drivers but management aren't concerned. Very hard to get time off or shift swaps. Passenger attitude is awful, no respect by anyone, old people shout if they can't get on early with thier free pass. Shifts are very erratic which constitutes zero home life. Whether you've been there 2 years or 20 years as soon as you leave you're forgotten about. 5 hour driving constantly plays havoc with back and leg muscles as hard to keep bus on time . Job ok if you don't have a social life. Money not great and not worth all the day to day hassle
Pros
Free bus pass, uniform
Cons
Rude public, uncaring management and long unsociable hours
You are hired now you are fired!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Blantyre, South Lanarkshire22 May 2019
Stay away from this mob! Warnings for everything. Give you shifts that finish even when the devil is asleep! You get abuse from managment and public. No overtime rate. No security. Management dont care about you unless you are a brown nose, all the propaganda when you start but then you get thrown in the deepend without armbands. Once u get ur license all of a sudden u are a pro. You should know such and such. Show u a route once. Dont kno it? Tough luck. I could go on and on.just avoid this place like a plague
Pros
Is a free bus pass a pro???
Cons
Working for them!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First UK Bus. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5