first direct

first direct Management reviews

training was great fun, even though it was working from home due to covid, so we done this through zoom. i felt that we didnt have enough training due to this but they did cut back a lot of stage 1 stuff. after training and going into my team, the first couple days were fine, then my manager would constantly find faults with everything i did.. i took an asthma attack and got a warning for it because i didn't tell her before dragging myself upstairs for an inhaler, after this, all i got from her was constant abuse (i wish i recorded the calls) everything i done was wrong. it was fine if you knew her before management. she took an instant disliking to me, so was screwed from the beginning, a few managers have been seconded and from being an advisor to now a manager, they have all got power trips (not the only one to have problems with managers)
Cons
Busy, abused
Absolutely awful place to work would avoid this if your interested in having a social life. No chance of changes to shifts, strict breaks & lunches, monitored throughout the day to make sure you follow these if not you will be disciplined. Management are slack and try to send you elsewhere.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Everything else
Managers are put under pressure to make sure their teams perform, and this then results in managers putting ridiculous amounts of pressure on the employees, resulting in being forced to work through lunch breaks (threat of losing your job if you do not agree). This results in no breaks at all during a 10 hour shift, also, you were not allowed a break to go and use the bathroom. When I did try to take toilet breaks my manager would physically sit me down in my seat and stand behind and not let my chair slide back from my desk trapping me in.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Unsafe work environment
A typical day at first direct involves taking call after call after call. You will be monitored and micro-managed on every little thing. Need a wee? God forbid. If you have more than a couple of toilet breaks out of scheduled break times they will bring you up on it and tell you off. The training wasn't terrible though it was done by contractors rather than actual FD employees. One of the trainers was rubbish, gave false information, didn't know what he was talking about half the time, was a massive bully, and a total pervert towards the women in my training group. Despite several FORMAL complaints from various people about him, he is still training people. At the interview we were told our salary would go from 18k to 21k by the time we finished our training etc. Finished my training for a salary bump of a whole ÂŁ500 a year. Was also told about "great bonuses" every year. My bonus was ÂŁ200. Not to be dramatic, but I can make that in 5 minutes selling pics of my feet. Lunch breaks are 30 minutes which is hardly enough time to walk across the massive building to the canteen and warm up your food. Breaks are 10 minutes and again hardly enough time to even empty your bladder. TL/DR don't work here.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
everything else
My Department constantly had changes and no training courses available when we first started, the management is constantly training and contradict eachother in every situation.
Would not recommend working for First Direct unless you want micro managed and enjoy being told there is no targets or comparison to others. The managers think the staff should be grateful for a job and being mistreated is a common occurrence in the job.
It used to be a fab place to work employees used to matter they don’t now it’s all about numbers not about people. It’s very fast paced and can be extremely stressful
Pros
Salary
Cons
Hours, atmosphere, not looking after employees
Management are awful all they do is disrespect staff members Verbal abuse from senior staff members Not a great place to work If you want abuse from senior members then this is the job for you
The salary is good for the role but it has to be as you are treated like a battery hen! They even time how long you go to the toilet and confront you if you are 30 secs over, I wish I was joking! Management are cruel and lazy but the customer service people are the best you will ever meet. If you want to keep your sanity do not work here
Culture is very people focused. Flatish management structure and leadership is visible. Really nice place to work with people who care a lot about the brand and pride themselves on their amazing customer service reputation.
Colleagues are good natured and always happy to help. The IT infrastructure is very outdated and not fit for purpose, making jobs much harder. Very poorly organised at management level, new systems/procedures are rarely fit for purpose and introduced without proper testing. Onsite parking and creche are great. Onsite canteen very poor and overpriced.
Awful people, awful culture. If you want to be timed when you need the toilet, this is the job for you. If not then don’t bother. Awful experience. Never again!
I had huge expectations from what was portrayed during the interview and training phase.The job is all about sales ,targets and the management doesn’t really care /understand employee aspirations.Getting holidays of your choice is a mare!If you want a job that pays the bills ,you may tolerate working here ,however if you are looking for a career and growth ,look elsewhere !
Now I do love the people and the perks and benefits of this place. The only down side is there are so so many targets and you get monitored on every little thing you do including going to the toilet and will get pulled up on going to the toilet out of break time it’s a joke. Also it’s impossible to book holidays that you want resources are terrible and it feels unfair and unincentivising
I worked here for 7 years, unfortunately I was taken Ill and needed time off work. Upon returning I was subjected to nothing but bullying by the management. Wouldn’t wish working here on my worst enemy.
I left First Direct (FD) many years ago to go to University, therefore it would be unfair of me to speculate on the current culture. Hopefully, it has changed. I will, however, describe my own experience of working for FD: I was employed in the call centre - "sales and service" role. At the interview stage, FD was portrayed as a "fun" organisation, with achievable targets. As a whole, the interview process was as expected. This included role play and a more formal Q and A style interview. The training itself lasted for a number of weeks. In general, it appeared comprehensive, however, I was trained by a member of staff who was - quite frankly - of an intimidating/unprofessional nature. This trainer appeared to have favorites in the group, questioned my integrity, and on one occasion, encouraged me to stay behind at the end of the day to practice my call scripting!. I was very young, perhaps vulnerable, at the time and I certainly would not condone this behavior now. Nevertheless, I raised this with management. Following the "classroom" training, call coaching followed (where you were in a "nursery bank" of other trainees, supported be a "call coach"). When you were were "signed off" from training, you went into your team. Your calls were significantly scrutinized by management listening to your calls remotely / listening to recordings of calls. Call scripts had to be followed, and slight deviations could lead to low call scores and "action plans". Procedural flowcharts/"scripts" changed regularly, with little notice, adding to the pressure. Alongside this, as a - more...
Pros
Hours could be worked over 4 days, free car parking, on site facilities
Cons
Overall culture, management approach, target driven, scrutiny of calls
I left First Direct (FD) many years ago to go to University, therefore it would be unfair of me to speculate on the current culture. Hopefully, it has changed. I will, however, describe my own experience of working for FD: I was employed in the call centre - "sales and service" role. At the interview stage, FD was portrayed as a "fun" organisation, with achievable targets. As a whole, the interview process was as expected. This included role play and a more formal Q and A style interview. The training itself lasted for a number of weeks. In general, it appeared comprehensive, however, were were trained by a member of staff who was - quite frankly - of an intimidating/unprofessional nature. This trainer appeared to have favorites in the group, questioned my integrity, and on one occasion, encouraged me to stay behind at the end of the day to practice my call scripting!. I was very young, perhaps vulnerable, at the time and I certainly would not condone this behavior now. Nevertheless, I raised this with management. Following the "classroom" training, call coaching followed (where you were in a "nursery bank" of other trainees, supported be a "call coach"). When you were were "signed off" from training, you went into your team. Your calls were significantly scrutinized by management listening to your calls remotely / listening to recordings of calls. Call scripts had to be followed, and slight deviations could lead to low call scores and "action plans". Procedural flowcharts/"scripts" changed regularly, with little notice, adding to the pressure. Alongside - more...
Pros
Hours could be worked over 4 days, free car parking, on site facilities
Cons
Overall culture, management approach, target driven, scrutiny of calls
I have worked for the company for nearly 20 years and its only in the last year I haven't received a bonus. I have never had a problem before with the company but in the last few years or so the way in which staff are treated has become appalling. Noting how may toilet breaks you have, how long they are. Little toleration of absence no matter if for illness or a condition they don't care, or off if your child is sick - still don't care - not the family orientated company that they like to portray. You can't get holidays for love or money even though you are given a good entitlement I have noticed and not only relating to me that there is now a degree of bullying especially against longer serving members of staff - it is constructive dismissal in its most subtle terms - leaving people feeling stressed and agitated and hating to go to work so much so that they look for another job. Stating that you are not meeting targets that your peers apparently seem to be meeting therefore put on PIPS - disciplinary for trivial matters but others who have friends in the right place seem to get away with certain things. They are trying to bring in younger staff on less pay, plus they do not want to pay redundancy. I would take it in a heartbeat it is such a bad company to work for these days. Managers and team leaders - some are useless - and just follow the corporate line - I would love to mention one manager in particular but can't. Lots of experienced staff already left due to this bullying culture and unfortunatley I will probably be one of them I have done a good job before - more...
Pros
good holiday entitlement
Cons
bullying of longer serving staff if your face doesnt fit then you wont do well
A great company to work for generally but staff were paid low. Management were awful, some bullying and managing people out the door was seen. Not much chance to progress.
dealing with customers and third parties within the mortgage servicing department. working as part of a team to ensure all customers are dealt with in a quick and professional manner
Pros
great onsite facilites
Cons
poor higher management
I was a member of a successful team who, because of changes made by more senior management, were placed under unsustainable pressure resulting in the outsourcing of a major part of our role overseas. This eventually lead to a large number of us taking redundancy. This, I believe, was a mistake as all that experience and knowledge has been lost to be built up slowly again from scratch by new colleagues overseas.
Pros
Great department colleagues, free parking, good salaries and working conditions.
Cons
Creation of climate of uncertainty.