First Data Employee Reviews

Found 149 reviews matching the search See all 3,049 reviews
Caused mental breakdown
Balance Transfer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex10 July 2019
This company... I worked there for about 6 months in total, during that time I went from a happy, kind, strong-willed, fit and healthy person and it changed me completely. I genuinely think there is some kind of brain-washing doing on here in the training. They spend weeks training you to be submissive and a 'yes-man', they stop you being able to speak and think for yourself with their ever-changing scripts, there is always a constant threat looming overhead of losing your job if you fail a single thing, the computers and systems use constantly crash and YOU are the one to get blamed for it.

Not only me, but multiple people I know and worked with at First Data had mental breakdowns. I quit over a year ago and I am still going to therapy because of it. It ruined my relationship, my family life and worst of all I lost myself because of it. A year later and I am still trying to figure out who I am because of it.

A typical day at work; show up 30 minutes early so you can try and log on the system because if you are late logging into the system it gets noted down in a file and goes against your record (even if it wasn't due to your own fault), spend hours getting abused on the phone and not being able to do anything about it such as warn the customers or terminate the call (That goes against you also), you get an hour for lunch, that's always nice.. Then the afternoon of more abuse and system failures (To which none of the managers there know what they are doing) only to leave 30 minutes late because towards the end of your shift they put you on high priority for the calls
  more... that take the longest time. (So they can get as much use from you as possible). The whole while after a call you get time to 'wrap' as they call it which is where in the system you include everything you did in the account, for a call that takes 30+ minutes with multiple transfers this can take a few minutes, however if you're ever more than 20 seconds in wrap you have a manager come over to set you straight! Which wouldn't all be such a problem if you actually got any kind of rest. Due to the treatment of staff and the huge turnover, and the managers not knowing how to prioritize work streams, you would have 20 people in the office doing nothing and sitting around while the other 10 people in the office have a backlog of calls queuing up to the hundreds, which made the abuse you received on the phone even worse.

And all of this is made even worse by the fact that they not only string you along dangling a permanent contract in your face (That people there 3+ years hadn't actually got yet) but the pay is so little. I worked there full time, 5 days per week 8 hours per day, and at the end of the month, I still couldn't afford to pay all my bills. The only way to ever make enough money in this job is overtime, which is just more torture.

I can not say this in any simpler terms: DO NOT WORK HERE.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Losing your sanity
Steer clear
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex4 July 2019
Unless you enjoy being taken for granted and treated as a number rather than an individual then dont bother.
I worked in a few diff departments in my 2 yrs here. Managers in all dept are useless only concerned with pleasing higher ups rather than the practicalities. Most of the jobs are boring and very repetitive but some positions do pay better than others. Strict with breaks and lunches and have to go at allocated times and even the amount of time spent in the toilet is frowned upon. No mobiles are allowed at all even in the back office departments and even if your expecting a very important call you have to give your phone to a manager all the while they sit on their mobile chatting to family and friends. Very little flexibility around hours or days that you work and will also change your shift hours or days to suit them at any point and will say its in the contract do it or leave.
Most of the staff are very young and seem to get promoted to jobs they have no idea about.
High staff turn over and constantly reminded your are replaceable.
So happy I left I would never work for this company again. The only pro is some lovely co workers if you can find ones that are not part of a clique.
Pros
Some lovely co workers.
Cons
Change shifts and hours with not much notice, Useless management, If your face fits type of enviroment.
Very interesting Environment
Product Manager (EMEA) Global Security Product (Current Employee) –  Basildon17 June 2019
Quite a challenging environment at times, mismatch in company and global goals resulting in poor delivery and engagement with internal clients.

Management is very under talented, putting pressure on lower levels.

Director level cal also be the same however this is also very hit and miss.

I have worked with some amazing talented people here however they are held back, overlooked and under appreciated.
Pros
Great people
It was ok
Credit Risk Analyst/Debt Collector (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex16 June 2019
Boring work but not that bad in the grand scheme of things. I have had worse jobs and it was my first real job so hard to compare it to anything at the time
decent environment
Junior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex30 May 2019
I didn't get the opportunity I thought I deserved, I enjoyed working there and really liked the people I worked with. the management did not give the young people responsibilities and didn't have an opportunity to grow.
Intense nature
Collections Agent since October 15th (Former Employee) –  Basildon28 May 2019
Very high standards to be met can be stressful as what is required of a person on the phone is always changing. The salary is good but it can be difficult to remain motivated.
Noooooo
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Essex15 May 2019
Save yourself the time and patience with this company. It is corrupt and poorly run with managers on power trips. You get spoken to like dirt and feel like a number.
You will get picked on for the slightest things, even being 1 minute late.
Even when you call in sick, you are made to feel like you are lying and get bombarded with questions about what the doctor has said/prescribed and what medication you have taken.
Basically, if you are not a robot... don't apply.
Pros
Great work friends
Cons
Everything else
Not a bad job if you deal well with stress
Support team member (Current Employee) –  Basildon6 April 2019
Worked there for bout 10 years, the people are great the management is great, downside is it can be very stressful.

It depends on what department you work on, i did a mix of back office and phone based work, the back office like the phone work is monitored which can cause is a great deal of the stress as its all very micro managed you are expected to hit quality makers as well as the getting the work done quickly this is done through reviewing your calls and giving you grades on the calls and you are timed on the seconds it takes you to handle the call this goes towards your yearly review and effects bonus etc

I would recommend this job for people who handle stress well and enjoy being competitive.
Pros
people and management are nice
Cons
can be very stressful
Great for school leavers
Balance transfer agent (Former Employee) –  Basildon6 March 2019
Balance transfers is great as a pitstop job and a good way to get into financial services.
Extremely poor management non existence as far as growth and promotion. Very much treated like a child and spoken to without respect. No care for staff well being or progress within company. Bullying culture and sexual harassment is ignored. Management Prey on lack of legal knowledge and exploit this with young people. Many members of staff are signed of through stress and anxiety. A lot of micro management and shouting get out of wrap. They will promise you the world to keep you on board even promise you promotion/change in role. But never honour the promise. If you are happy to brown nose be underhanded and have 0 opinion and don't challenge then you will do great. Training is a joke the whole running of balance transfers is a joke. Worse place I have ever worked. Best thing is the others agents. My advise is get in learn for a month or two then get out.
Pros
Other agents
Cons
Management and culture
Great Place
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex22 February 2019
In my time at this company I really enjoyed my first contact centre experience. I learnt a lot about collections and customer services. Unfortunately at times I did feel that we were just working ants at times but a great place none the less
Pros
Salary and staff
Cons
Working hours
depressing and lonley
COLLECTOR (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex16 February 2019
I would not recommend working here as the managers are cruel and unfair, they favourite certain members of staff and pay no attention to others. There is no work and home life balance especially if you work the late shift as you enter work around 12;30 and sometimes wont leave until 9:30/10:00. If you work Sundays you will only handle around 3 calls in 7 hours, this gets rather boring so mangers often send employees home and force them to make up the hours. Overall it is a boring and unsatisfactory place to work.would not recommend if you want to keep your sanity.
Pros
good pay
Cons
is horrible
soul destroying
Collections Agent (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex7 February 2019
working for first data has its perks but they do NOT outweigh the negatives such as long hours and poor management. they make it practically impossible to book any holiday and they do not take into consideration personal matters such as children being ill or unable to travel due to wether. they will make you make up 2 minutes from a toilet break but you dont get to go 5minutes early at a later date if you get caught on a call at the end of your shift.
Pros
overtime
Cons
management and holiday
hard work ever changing must be flexible
Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Essex29 January 2019
i do not have a typical day as my job involves dealing with several different alliances so my duties my change through out the day.

i am continually learning new approaches to my job and new procedures.
Comfortable Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex27 January 2019
From start till end the calls are continuous and every call is different which is sometimes challenging but I enjoyed being challenged and learning from each call.
The training is intense but it works, confidence comes with time and the more you're on the phone the more you learn.
The main problem was when a situation arise that you wasn't sure how to deal with or needed confirmation before going ahead and having the supervisors r managers belittle you instead of helping you.
They didn't give far opportunities of progression to the right people just to the people they liked best not who was best for the role.
Pros
They had Costa coffee
Cons
Clicky management and higher staff
Not enough work
Collections Agent (Current Employee) –  Basildon26 January 2019
Whilst pay is good the work is not stimulating enough for me.
The hours are also a bit unsociable.
Floor Management is poor and just see staff as another number.
Work with great people
Clover Senior Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Basildon, Essex6 January 2019
Work wise, you work with people of similar interests and makes the job worth turning up for but due to poor management and lack of care for staff in the long run, the staff turnover rate is high for a reason
Pros
Stable wage and benefits
Cons
Poor Management and Shift Rotation
I worked here a long time ago
Collections Agent (Former Employee) –  Essex28 December 2018
I worked here over almost 20 years ago and can not imagine that a review about this company and my role there would be valuable to any one in the current day.
Fast Paced environment
Fraud Investigator (Current Employee) –  Essex27 December 2018
Great people with a wide range of roles throughout the company.
Salaries could be more competitive with other local payment processing companies outside of London
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Basildon29 November 2018
Great place to work. Very professional and look after their workers. good structure of training and on-going recruitment. it is Overall a very good employer.
Pros
good incentives
Cons
location for non drivers
Enjoyable workplace and collegues
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex22 November 2018
Typically very busy work environment, on most days due to new rules being introduced and changes made to the policies. I learned to multitask efficiently, while being encouraged by management and other colleagues, who were always positive and had a can-do attitude.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with complex issues with customers, such as complaints or new issues with cards. The systems occasionally broke which interrupted the work flow, however were usually quickly resolved or alternatives put in place in the meantime.
I thoroughly enjoyed working there, and would have continued my time, but unfortunately my hours could accommodate to my personal life, and had to leave.
Pros
Staff friendliness
Cons
Busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Data. Our community is ready to answer.

First Data Reviews by Location