FDM Group Employee Reviews for Consultant

Productive and fun workplace
Consultant (Former Employee) –  London26 August 2019
Through the QConsult Programme, run by the Queen Mary University, I and four fellow students formed a team and were employed by the FDM group. The FDM Group recruits university graduates, returners to work and ex-forces to become consultants for their clients. Our task was to figure out the most efficient ways of marketing the company’s services in London, with a focus on the Tower Hamlets borough. This involved researching different marketing strategies, through methods such as radio, newspapers, online promotion, posters and spreading leaflets. All our research and recommendations were put together in a PowerPoint presentation that we displayed to the board of directors of the FDM Group.

This was a great opportunity to work in a close-knit and diversely specialised team, to form new friendships, and to see the commercial reality of a business by contributing to the way in which it attracts its clients and promotes its services.
Modern Day Slavery
Consultant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 February 2019
Been a consultant here for a while now.

Honest review, it's a place that exploits powerless, insecure and inexperienced (honest) graduates, who are trying to find their feet.

The placements can be quite extraordinary, given you have the ability to work with some of the worlds biggest institutions.
Ability to travel abroad (my first placement was for an investment bank abroad).

But here's the the best part, while abroad, or anywhere with FDM for that matter, you'll be kept on the most shoestring salary for what you do that you will struggle greatly to make ends meet.

For example, i'm currently being paid around £25000 for a placement with a big Global Bank in London City Center. I happened to come across some concrete information that FDM charge me out to this client at £350 a day - that's close to £85000 a year.

While FDM are upfront about the pay, they're not up front as to how badly they underpay you for what you do, and for what they make out of you, which i'm still reeling from.

Their training fee is valued at up to £20000 if you renege on your contract somehow, I can honestly tell you, 95% of the courses you do, consist of PowerPoint presentations that are just chocked full of text. I have personally purchased E-Learning courses in my own personal time which are no more than £50 and successfully cover far more than anything FDM Training does and of much greater value to learning.

To sum up the experience, you are a battery chicken, they will put you through your paces to get what they want out of you, you'll be their circus monkey while you're within
  more... your 2 year contract, be prepared for it.

BUT, there is a caveat, if you truly show value wherever you go, there is a high chance of setting up your future for good. Albeit this can be said for anywhere, not just FDM.

However, after your first 2 years, if you choose to go down this road and sell your soul for this amount of time, will quite possibly be some of the most difficult experiences of your life thus far. But if you make it through, network along the way and add value wherever you go, there's a high chance a client will take you on internal (I have seen this personally happen to some consultants I worked with at the end of their 2 years), or that you can secure work that is vastly better paid. (I personally know ex-FDM consultants who have walked into £500 / day contracting roles within 2 years of them leaving FDM).

While this sounds great, be sure to ask yourself if you want to sell your soul to gain this, because you truly will have to if you choose this path.

Account managers will force you to take roles that you don't like or have no interest in to meet their quotas / earn their commission. Because warned, if you are not proactive in pushing for roles you'd like with the right people, you will be dumped into a brain-numbing company / role somewhere and forgotten the moment you are on client site, apart from to chase you for timesheets. Be prepared to brave nee experiences solo, it often happens, especially when you're placed abroad (you have a choice in this)
Pros
Clients / Placements
Cons
Extremely low pay for what you do, middle management at FDM is horrendous, training valued far greater than what it actually is, you are just a resource, / number / statistic you're sold away by account managers into positions you dont want.
Great opportunities if you sell your soul
Consultant (Former Employee) –  London24 May 2018
FDM provide great opportunities but require you to relocate on a sub standard sector salary after going 3 months without pay, the staff apart from tutors are really not up to standard and account managers will blackball you if you don't like the position they offered you.
Pros
Great Opportunites
Cons
Everything else
Great if you're desperate
Consultant (Current Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London24 June 2017
Training was awful and did nothing to prepare myself or my colleagues for actual placements.
Sales will treat you like a product and if you have one bad interview then consider yourself blacklisted. No attempt will be made to correct the problem, you probably won't even get feedback. Sales will just stop contacting you entirely.
HR are unfriendly and either unwilling or unable to help with any issues.Essentially if you have a problem, good luck.
FDM culture can be described in one word as toxic. I can't think of a better way to describe the vibe I get every time I walk into the office.
Salary is awful for the first two years. Working in an investment bank and earning 21k is completely unreasonable, especially when the client is paying FDM at least three times more than that.

Positives are that you get a foot in the door with clients that you might not have applying on your own, so from that perspective it's great for a new graduate. But honestly, only use it as a last resort.
Great Oppertunities
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, London, Glasgow, Leeds6 March 2015
Busy and a vibe of productivity and learning.
You get out what you put in.
Hard work and determination are required.

Great Summer parties
Pros
Free Tea, Coffee and water
Cons
Long Hours and if not working in sales there are no perks.