FDM Group Employee Reviews

Only join if you like playing roulette
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh11 March 2019
Joined FDM after a friend had a good experience with it. Trained to become a BA and am now working on client site.

FDM is the definition of playing roulette with your career with no control of where you go. I was lucky but half my friends got sent to places they didn't want (but we all knew the risks when we joined). Spin the wheel if you're feeling lucky, just remember you'll be eating cheese sandwiches for lunch because 60% of your salary will be on paying for your rent.

Pay is terrible (exactly what others have said, you get about 30% of the day rate FDM charges) - you know the pay before you join but don't realise the cut FDM is making (wonder why their share price has continued to shoot up year on year). There are no benefits to write home about (child care vouchers for a graduate scheme, nice one FDM). Got another year left on this "community service" and hopefully will be made permanent with the client.

However, that said, I wouldn't have had the opportunity if I went out by myself. I feel like I owe FDM for my career, but why not just pay grads an extra £5-10k? I'd actually feel loyal to FDM. Right now, I can't wait for my 2 year bond to be finished and leave.

This isn't a consultancy company, but a glorified recruitment firm that skims more than it should at the expense of having good contacts in the industry. Spin the wheel, what will you land on (if anything)?
Modern Day Slavery
Consultant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 February 2019
Been a consultant here for a while now.

Honest review, it's a place that exploits powerless, insecure and inexperienced (honest) graduates, who are trying to find their feet.

The placements can be quite extraordinary, given you have the ability to work with some of the worlds biggest institutions.
Ability to travel abroad (my first placement was for an investment bank abroad).

But here's the the best part, while abroad, or anywhere with FDM for that matter, you'll be kept on the most shoestring salary for what you do that you will struggle greatly to make ends meet.

For example, i'm currently being paid around £25000 for a placement with a big Global Bank in London City Center. I happened to come across some concrete information that FDM charge me out to this client at £350 a day - that's close to £85000 a year.

While FDM are upfront about the pay, they're not up front as to how badly they underpay you for what you do, and for what they make out of you, which i'm still reeling from.

Their training fee is valued at up to £20000 if you renege on your contract somehow, I can honestly tell you, 95% of the courses you do, consist of PowerPoint presentations that are just chocked full of text. I have personally purchased E-Learning courses in my own personal time which are no more than £50 and successfully cover far more than anything FDM Training does and of much greater value to learning.

To sum up the experience, you are a battery chicken, they will put you through your paces to get what they want out of you, you'll be their circus monkey while you're within
  more... your 2 year contract, be prepared for it.

BUT, there is a caveat, if you truly show value wherever you go, there is a high chance of setting up your future for good. Albeit this can be said for anywhere, not just FDM.

However, after your first 2 years, if you choose to go down this road and sell your soul for this amount of time, will quite possibly be some of the most difficult experiences of your life thus far. But if you make it through, network along the way and add value wherever you go, there's a high chance a client will take you on internal (I have seen this personally happen to some consultants I worked with at the end of their 2 years), or that you can secure work that is vastly better paid. (I personally know ex-FDM consultants who have walked into £500 / day contracting roles within 2 years of them leaving FDM).

While this sounds great, be sure to ask yourself if you want to sell your soul to gain this, because you truly will have to if you choose this path.

Account managers will force you to take roles that you don't like or have no interest in to meet their quotas / earn their commission. Because warned, if you are not proactive in pushing for roles you'd like with the right people, you will be dumped into a brain-numbing company / role somewhere and forgotten the moment you are on client site, apart from to chase you for timesheets. Be prepared to brave nee experiences solo, it often happens, especially when you're placed abroad (you have a choice in this)
Pros
Clients / Placements
Cons
Extremely low pay for what you do, middle management at FDM is horrendous, training valued far greater than what it actually is, you are just a resource, / number / statistic you're sold away by account managers into positions you dont want.
Great opportunities if you sell your soul
Consultant (Former Employee) –  London24 May 2018
FDM provide great opportunities but require you to relocate on a sub standard sector salary after going 3 months without pay, the staff apart from tutors are really not up to standard and account managers will blackball you if you don't like the position they offered you.
Pros
Great Opportunites
Cons
Everything else
Great place to start my career
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester2 May 2018
Fantastic place to start your career and work with other skilled individuals trying to get their foot in the professional world.
Job security and salary are less than ideal for anybody with any dependants.
Pros
Oppertunity
Cons
Salary
experience building and collaborative.
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  London8 February 2018
A great stepping stone to gain insight and experience into IT consulting. The company has a large range of clients, with an array of roles and opportunities available.
Work and Happiness
PMO Analyst (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire7 February 2018
I feel proud to be part of this great Company. The organisational Governance structure is well planned with delegated roles. Who does what and when it should be done
very productive
Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 January 2018
Good experience and productive, got to learn and improve in my skills. Great people to work with and great environment to grow in career wise.was a bit wooried when I first started was a bit over whelmed due to being in a new environment,but the reception was very good,the was always room for learning and improvement.
Pros
various benefits
Big learning curve
Application Support Consultant (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London19 November 2017
FDM was a great place for learning, however they were very unfair and uncompromising to their employees in order to easily claim breach of contracts. Unfortunately had problems with their HR department.
FDM Recruiter
Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) –  Leeds18 September 2017
I have enjoyed myself at FDM but the ability to progress and advance is very limited. It would be fair to say that I was mismanaged and had the misfortune of receiving a minor number of appraisals during my time there.
Great if you're desperate
Consultant (Current Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London24 June 2017
Training was awful and did nothing to prepare myself or my colleagues for actual placements.
Sales will treat you like a product and if you have one bad interview then consider yourself blacklisted. No attempt will be made to correct the problem, you probably won't even get feedback. Sales will just stop contacting you entirely.
HR are unfriendly and either unwilling or unable to help with any issues.Essentially if you have a problem, good luck.
FDM culture can be described in one word as toxic. I can't think of a better way to describe the vibe I get every time I walk into the office.
Salary is awful for the first two years. Working in an investment bank and earning 21k is completely unreasonable, especially when the client is paying FDM at least three times more than that.

Positives are that you get a foot in the door with clients that you might not have applying on your own, so from that perspective it's great for a new graduate. But honestly, only use it as a last resort.
Worst start of salary in the industry
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire18 June 2017
PROS
Training is free and industry relevant.
Summer parties are free for food and beer.
Camoradrie with fellow Consultants.
CONS
Account managers and recruiters are sales driven for bonuses.
You never actually work for fdm they just hire you out and train you when their clients no longer need you.
Reduced rate when your back training.
You could go 6 months without pay.
Basic training is average at best.
Pay equates to minimum wage or less if you factor in the training.
You only receive around 20 to 30 percent of what fdm hire you out for.
£20000 debt if you leave before your 2 years is up reduced with amount of time spent with the company.
£20000 can be imposed if your fired and it's not your fault i.e. Fdm reducing numbers because of the job climate.
Train you in an IT role but that may not be the role you are sent to interviews for.
No time to prepare for interviews.
Very little support on site.
Very little feedback.
Pros
As above
Cons
As above
Good graduate programme
IT Consultant, Aviva (Current Employee) –  Bristol7 June 2017
FDM provides a good place for graduates to get high quality experience with well-known companies. They provide extensive at their academies that give you the confidence to fit in wherever you may be placed.
Pros
Training, travel expenses, great clients, great experience and competitive salary.
Great provided you have no preference regarding where you work.
Software Development Trainee (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire12 April 2017
- Great if you have no preference regarding where you work.
- Not so great if you have any preferences whatsoever.
- The training you receive is usually of very high standard.
- Only travel costs paid during entire time at FDM until you start your first placement, so wages are nil.
- Hours required to be in the office during training at 8:45 to 5:30.
- Finding a placement is not very well organised, which on multiple occasions led to me finding out I had an interview in a different city late at night outside work hours for the following day.
- The company only placed 25% of our intake before the 90 days were up.
Demanding workplace
Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire13 March 2017
This is a demanding workplace which can easily take up more time than is paid for. Giving extra is not always recognised or taken into account and free time is a premium.
Pros
Rewarding working with people
Cons
very long hours
Great company
Academy Administrator (Current Employee) –  Leeds10 February 2017
Maintains a family-like community, absolutely love working for FDM. It is just unfortunate that I am ready to progress and they currently have nothing to offer me. Would have loved to invest my career into FDM.
Pros
The team is great
Cons
Not very many extra benefits.
Good learning curve
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London19 January 2017
Perfect place for a graduate to gain industry experience with the top employers within the City and beyond. Training also provided and minimum 2 years must be complete with the company.
Lots of Learning
Risk, Regulation and Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 January 2017
The work life at FDM is great as everyone is a graduate around you. During my time there I managed to establish many connections with people and learn a lot of new skills. I learnt SQL, excel with VBA and finally risk, regulation and compliance analysis.
Read the fine print
Trainee PSO / BA (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow11 January 2017
Be very careful as after being recruited and trained, you may have to wait up to 90 days to get placed (if you get placed) throughout which you will not be paid. Make sure that you understand all risks beforehand.
Fantastic Training
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Glasgow9 January 2017
Fantastic training and coaching helping me to gain qualifications to progress my career. The office has some great characters and has a good feel and morale. My only real fault is the follow on and actually getting a placement of work. I was part of a course that has had a large percentage not being able to be placed and those who were placed were done through other offices.
Pros
Excellent teaching
Cons
Placements
Best and worst place I have worked all wrapped in to one
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London7 December 2016
Great culture of work hard play hard. This business is somewhat like a cult and I dont say that as a negative. I've never had so much fun as when I worked at FDM. Sadly the management rule by fear and each day when entering work is one of wondering whether you will have a job at the end of it. There is clear favouritsm towards a certain team of employees.
Pros
culture, fun, work hard play hard, great commission
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FDM Group. Our community is ready to answer.

FDM Group Reviews by Location