FDM Group

FDM Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom47 reviews
Management unrealistic and out of touch with modern teaching methods. Old style teaching. I witnessed some terrible teaching practice from so called long serving professionals. Good chance to improve knowledge. Most trainees are of a good standard and are willing to learn.
FDM group is a global consultancy which provides training to graduates in several different pathways and then places those trainees on site with clients. Although you are not guaranteed to be placed once training is completed most people are and the placements do help get your foot in the door of some major companies. Furthermore FDM does provide a decent amount of earning resources for those that want to upskill in a particular area.
The graduate scheme was a good way to get started in the industry. Note you do not get paid until you start your first placement. The training provided was good.
13 week training scheme, coming in early and leaving late. A new topic would be introduce on Monday and you are expected to master by Friday.
Once placed i was forgotten. But that wasn't what i joined FDM for.

You may be applying for FDM, but you are really applying to all they partners and connects.

Though the FDM Training course may not have been the best, it learnt the majority of what i needed from the web.

Coming from a non IT background, it was a great way to get you foot in the door.
If you are a graduate please stay clear of this place. I have never worked for such a terrible company in my entire life. They are not clear about anything they do and the whole process will make you question your life. It’s unpaid training (7 weeks) and you sign this ridiculous contract which states you have to work for them for 2 years or you have to pay a fee of £15000. The training is not even worth £10.00 so I have no idea where £15000 came from.after the silly contact you have to wait 90 days to get placed UNPAID but the account managers don’t even look for roles for you. I spent 7 months in this place doing absolutely nothing and when I chased them up they always had ‘roles’ which fell through. It was the the worst mistake of my life and I regret it everyday. I would give them -5 out 5 if I could.
• The head of the Risk, Regulation, & Compliance stream (ex-army guy) is incoherent and unable to articulate common advice to trainees. He just waves his hands about and blurts out noises to try and reach his destination in an explanation. I have never seen someone his age and seniority be so incompetent at communicating. Every graduate I have ever met has easily surpassed his skills in that area.
• An Australian lady who was great at teaching professional skills was very unprofessional when reviewing at my CV. My first draft was given specific feedback. However, the second and third drafts were relayed with just a generic conversational email and an excuse that the lady was training other candidates. And then she delegated the responsibility of giving feedback to the head of RRC guy who I was able to achieve nothing with because again he was just waving his hands around and saying nothing, something he is notorious for amongst our RRC stream.

• Finally, I would like to put the salespeople in the spotlight. Our RRC seniors and the account managers advise us to constantly visit the sales floor every day to make our presence known and enquire about opportunities with clients. However, when we do visit, no one has time to have a conversation and they exhibit closed body language with a miserable face to go along with it. Additionally, they say they have opportunities but, in the end, we find out they are still bidding for the tender from the client and don’t have anything.

I prefer transparency and value-add but it seems here talking the talk is all that matters. Some people
 - more...
FDM foster a competitive environment where you're encouraged to better yourself daily. Toxic behaviours aren't tolerated and characters are selected on a team fit, so everyone is in a good place at work and never looking down or stressed as we all help each other regardless of the task. This is an excellent employer, whether directly employed by them or as a consultant, I've been on both sides of the fence and enjoyed them equally.
Fast-paced environment waiting to get placed with one of their clients. Once you are placed you have a 2-year minimum contract. If the client has to let you go they will and you go back to the start waiting for a new client.
Don't really know where to begin with this company. The recruitment process is slick and very professional but once you are in, you realise they don't really have a clue.

The training they provide, well, they don't really provide it. Its all online learning without any instruction which they seem to think is worth £1500 a week.

Once you've passed the training then you are in the hands of the almighty sales managers, who don't know who you are and have absolutely no interest in finding out about the product they are selling (that's you by the way).

When you actually get an interview (if you are lucky because as much as the recruitment drive says they are opportunities, there really isn't!). Good luck with having information about the role you are interviewing for.

Now, if you get through the interview and get placed, don't count your chickens. Chances are that there isn't even a contract in place for you to start and your 60 days to start a role at the end of your training will gradually tick by and no one will be any the wiser about when the job may actually start.

Then it will come to that moment were your time is up and and you have pretty much nothing to show for the last 3 months apart from PRINCE2, ITIL v4 and SCRUM master 1, which you could have done in your own time whilst earning for about £600.
The worst company I have ever had the misfortune of "working" for. It is unpaid and you get treated like absolute dirt. Management are useless and the culture is so awful. If you are ever contacted by a recruiter to work here, decline!!!!!
A typical day
- either:

training Java OOD, or Java programming or Web Applications Design.

- or:

developing course material

What I learned:

- to work again in a fast-paced environment

- refresh of Java knowledge based

- very defensive and controlling

- not in touch with market requirements

- no emphasis on good teaching pratice

Workplace culture

- good colleagues

The hardest part of the day

- traversing the minefield of restrictive management policies

- working around the defensive management culture

The most enjoyable part of the day

- doing my job

- delivering training - positive interaction with trainees

- improving my knowledge through course material development
The training you receive from the company is great, you learn a lot of useful things. However, most of the time the trainers leave you to it and often don't have a clue themselves. After training, you are left in 'The Pond' to upskill or apply for other classes. The training agreement is ridiculous and expect you to remain in FDM for 6 months max without receiving any pay if you don't get placed with a client. Would not recommend.
In short, they only want you if you can 'make money' for them otherwise they will thrown you out. I managed to spend some time there. below are some incidents i experienced.

They had a manager (text driver in the past , now claims to be a consultants). He would line you up in the morning and start threatening you.he would realize you that you are rubbish , no worth on the earth at all. And FDM has given a big favor to accept you as a trainee. but you can not leave this company now because you will have to pay extra fine.

just stay there and remain being insulted.

saw them threatening and mistreating fellow trainees often.

every other week, I'll hear the story that someone was called in the room,insulted and fired.

i was brutally insulted and threatened by the door super wiser once because i forget my pass inside the office.

when i left them after 2 years i had little money in my pocket because i spend everything on travel and accommodation.

Also experienced them putting fake money into employees account so that they can extend their visa against government rules only if these employees are making money for them.

I can write few pages but that is enough for now.
Pros
nothing
Cons
see above
FDM are a good company to launch your career in finance and tech as they have contacts with most of the Blue chip firms.
The training they provide is useful but over priced compared to its actual worth.

They expect you to stay with them for 2 full years from the day you are placed with a client and take all the necessary legal and non legal precautions to prevent consultants from leaving before this time period.

Pay for the consultants is ok but incredibly low compared to the commission the FDM sales reps keep in their pockets.

After the 2 years the consultant's salary rise significantly but don't expect account managers to find you new roles as they will always prefer to place consultants in their first 2 years of contract.
Trainees are not paid for the duration of the training period and are then still not guaranteed a job at the end of it so are sacrificing 14 weeks max + an additional 90 days pay depending on what stream you are on. The business model is terrible and after all the endless interviews you do to get the position, you still have to interview with clients to get a placement which is ridiculous. This company needs to pay its trainees and offer job security otherwise I do not see it being a continiuing, viable business. The management is also shambolic - no clear communication and the sales department clearly working towards such unrealistic targets and not communicating with the recruiters who keep bringing trainees in and having no clients or roles to put them forward for.
Through the QConsult Programme, run by the Queen Mary University, I and four fellow students formed a team and were employed by the FDM group. The FDM Group recruits university graduates, returners to work and ex-forces to become consultants for their clients. Our task was to figure out the most efficient ways of marketing the company’s services in London, with a focus on the Tower Hamlets borough. This involved researching different marketing strategies, through methods such as radio, newspapers, online promotion, posters and spreading leaflets. All our research and recommendations were put together in a PowerPoint presentation that we displayed to the board of directors of the FDM Group.

This was a great opportunity to work in a close-knit and diversely specialised team, to form new friendships, and to see the commercial reality of a business by contributing to the way in which it attracts its clients and promotes its services.
The team, office, location and day to day life is good. easy job but can be very boring and repetitive.
Poor management who fail to motivate or inspire the team which causes a lack of achievement.

Not much career progression unless you want to move into sales which is all they really care about. Staff turnover across the country is very high.

Lots of objections as the programme/role you are offering is not the most desirable.
They need to protect employees, stop using people like pawns, it's inhuman and unethical. Bunch of Hypocrites. Useless excuse of a company that promotes abuse.
Pros
No pros as far as I can tell it's a waste of time.
Cons
-They don't care about their employees, you report abuse and they cover up for the client and falsely accuse you, and dismiss you with no evidence. - They took 5 months to plot the dismissal, due to lack of evidence of allegations they were trying to pin on me, as a way to cover up for the client. - They try to buy you out, for your silence. - They don't pay good salaries.
wouldn’t recommend the graduate scheme be pretty much forced to stay for the 2 years or get hit with the training fees left to pay off in the 20k area
Pros
Cons
company and pay itself
The Ex-Forces Advanced Course is a great idea in principle and certainly eases the transition from military to civilian life, highlighting and enhancing transferable skills in to commercial language. They also offer a good range of client an dopportunities for roles to transition in to, assuming you are successful at the interviews they arrange.

However the culture is that of client-first, with consultant/employee needs a distance second, shown through next to non-existent support for their own employees. It is made clear that consultants are products to be sold and beyond the initial training course there is very little in the way of career development.
Pros
Varied client list
Cons
Corporate culture.
For me, FDM has had a positive impact upon my career. The training provided is valuable and I would say that everyone who leaves, does so further along than they were before.

My placement was mostly positive though and gave good experience. Others who were placed though had even more positive experiences, and once you've been placed once, you are a valuable asset.
Pros
A good gateway into a career in IT
Cons
When they say geographically flexible - they MEAN it