Farmfoods Ltd Employee Reviews

Brilliant place to work
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands30 April 2019
Farmfoods has helped me every step of the way to becoming a branch manager. I did have a good manager teach me at the time, but I believe they do hire the right people. It is a brilliant stepping stone to get into management. I started as a supervisor then became branch manager within 18 months, and I had no experience at the start. They are an understanding company with good morals and care about their staff. I've had a lot of support from higher management, which is rare to find nowadays. 45 hours is the contract however sometimes you may need to work more. If you put the effort in you get the support back. You don't really get a full lunch break due to small amounts of staff being in at the time and you need to answer the bells at the tills or the phone even if you're on your 'break.' This was never an issue for me as I prefer to just eat when I need to and can smoke if I need to. Every day is different and you will go home feeling tired but it is rewarding. Customers are usually very nice too. If you're rude they're going to be rude back, however sometimes they can be rude with no reason but that's retail for you. This job brought me a lot of confidence so I thank farmfoods for that.
Pros
15% staff discount, good stepping stone to management, understanding higher management, full training and support
Cons
Long shifts sometimes and can be tiring
Job was ok to a degree
reach truck driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol29 April 2019
Was trained in a flt on my first week and on the day of passing a supervisor told me to hurry up even though I was broad new to the truck, after two weeks I was only guy left on trucks because the rest quit or got fired so this meant I wasn't allowed weekends off. Supervisor was really rude but management was ok.
Free canteen that serves hot food or junk like burgers and pasties unless your on night shift then it's all rubbish.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Attitude, days off, work load
Never again
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester8 April 2019
Very poor company to work for. I was bullied for 6 months due to my learning disability. Made to come in at 6am for 2 hours on regular basis. Rota constantly changed without notice so unable to make plans.
Hard work
Transport Operative (Former Employee) –  Avonmouth, Bristol30 March 2019
Great place to work with friendly staff and managers, wage was good but hours on 4 on 4 off 6 till 6 shift were long and not ideal if you have a big family.
Pros
15% discount, Friendly staff & Manager
Cons
Hard work
Hard working
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Banbury, Oxfordshire29 March 2019
I go in put tills on order bread check email put defrost back on put bread out open shop date checks for frozen and dry tidy the shop if ordering day start to do the frozen order then the dry and chilled and produce if delivery day when it comes put out starting with the chilled then frozen then dry
Then put the new price tickets out
Pros
15%discount
Cons
Heavy work
Great place to work.
Transport Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Avonmouth, Bristol25 March 2019
Great place to work with friendly staff and managers, wage was good but hours on 4 on 4 off 6 till 6 shift were long and not ideal if you have a family.
Normal day
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chester11 March 2019
General customer service with checkouts included
Receiving of deliveries
Stock replenishment and rotation
General cleaning of the store
Merchandising of stock and displays
Pros
Busy day
Cons
Depending on day some things can slip through work cracks so you have to play catch up the next day
Fun work place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  glasgow10 March 2019
Fun fast paced work place although a bit in the stone ages with the way they do things ie stock take orders , plenty of hours just don't let higher management pressure you into certain things
Pros
bonus discount
Cons
long shifts short on staff
Stay clear
HGV Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire9 March 2019
Start between 1am and 5am. The Rota changes all the time. It's clear that some drivers are favoured more than others. Same drivers being sent out again after doing a run. Supervisors change runs to suit drivers who won't get back in time to go out again. New drivers employed on a 45 guaranteed contract while other drivers who have been there longer are being kept on a 40 hour contract. Like any job in transport you have good days and bad days. Management are stuck 20 years behind modern day companies and unwilling to look at changes. £13.07 per hour with no overtime rate. 1 weekend off in every 3 but will have to work split days in order to get this. Canteen is free which is a bonus. Rota not great for family time so if you have kids stay clear.
Pros
Free canteen
Cons
Rota, favouritism.
Avoid, last place to apply
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  England25 February 2019
Very bad company to work for. They demand more than any other retailer, for pay that isn't competitive.

Long hours, and some high-level decisions that are just stupid.

Stock takes on a Saturday, meaning you could start at 7 am on a Saturday and not finish until 11 pm

Constantly finishing at 9:30 pm and in again at 6 am, breaching EU time directives.

No way of planning for your life out of work.

No one really cares about the individual, its all about Farmfoods!

THE NEEDS OF THE COMPANY
Pros
Other staff
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, bad management, poor direction, no care for staff
Good people
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cumbernauld24 February 2019
Good people just not greatest pay structure the jump between operators to supervisor is minimal yet supervisor to controller is massive and I think am better employee that wage structure shows
Pros
Good people . Job security
Cons
Pay structure. holidays
If you care about your own wellbeing this isn’t for you.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wales22 February 2019
They act all nice at the interview stage and for the first 3 months of being there, but once that stage has gone then there is no hope going forward. You are treated like you’re the last scrap at the bottom of the barrel. The job itself is very boring and repetitive, no day is different. If you have kids then don’t expect sympathy off them, especially if they aren’t well and you need to take the day off to look after them. If you need to take time off due to appointments and etc, they will say they cannot give you the time off due to company needs. They do not care about mental health, and they wonder why most of the staff spend more time on the sick than they do actually in work.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Treatment from higher management.
Great team
Supervisor and Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Balderton, Nottinghamshire21 February 2019
For the most part Farmfoods was a good place to work and we were a great team . Retail work is a very enjoyable job . We had a lot of friendly regular customers.
Pros
Staff discount and flexible rota
Cons
Nor enough staff at certain times
Good company
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bradford19 February 2019
Good company to work for just to many stock takes
Cleaning
Filling shelf’s and freezers
Stock takes counting stock
Serving customers
Helping customers with there needs
Boring, with limited hours, but expected to do everything.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Eaton16 February 2019
The management and area management in the store had no problems degrading me for having piercings and tattoos, the store itself is massively understaffed with no real sense of direction coming from management.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Boring
Learned a lot about progressing through a company
Retail assistant/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool24 January 2019
In my 5 years at farmfoods I learned a lot about how to conduct myself in very busy conditions both as a sales assistant and the management roles i worked my way up to.
Pros
Always have something to do and meet nice people in work and customers.
Cons
Unfortunately the company took away funds to pay for security.
Don’t do it!! Treated like muck off somebody’s shoe here!
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City12 January 2019
Working at farmfoods has to be the worst place I have ever worked in my life! No joke.
Where do I begin?!

Management-
Management here treats you like rubbish. Speaks to you like rubbish and being told that I was ‘not doing anything right’ ‘can’t do anything right’ and ‘teaching me how to do a defrost was like teaching someone how to suck eggs’ all of which was on my first time learning how to do a defrost in the mornings.
Being threatened by management and spoken to like common muck.

Work environment-
There is a none existent work environment here at farmfoods with no music being played in shops so it’s like being at a funeral. No conversation or general chit chat between employees which makes it difficult, awkward. Just being told to come in, do our jobs and go home.
Usually 1:1 stores so expect to be worked like a dog being expected to do everything on your own which includes on a close: ALL cleaning duties etc. Brushing, cleaning the floor will the machine, cleaning freezer lids, cleaning tills, sorting bins. All on your own whilst balancing it between serving lots of customers on your own whilst your supervisor loads and pushes out stock trollies stacked high for me to do as well as everything else. Then gets shouted at because things aren’t done. You are expected to work at a million mph on your own whilst management sits on Their bums in the back eating McDonald’s, chippy, etc.

Security-
There is NO security here at farmfoods which makes it a shoplifters paradise. As it is a one on one store we are expected to have eyes on the back of our heads to
  more... watch all customers to make sure they are not stealing whist balancing a million other things.
We then get told off for the high shrinkage rate when there is no security to back us up in store!!

Conclusion-
Don’t do it!
Pros
15% discount with card
Cons
Everything about this company is wrong
Worst Job I ever Had
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City12 January 2019
Never work for this company they do not value their workers at all.
Hours were very irregular and often inconvenient.
Staff numbers always too low to provide worthwhile customer service.
Low staff numbers also put immense pressure on those working there.
Very high staff turnover.
Unsympathetic and often cruel management.
Great first job
This was a great first job for me the hours wasn't long the job itself was not hard in the slightest I enjoyed being at work as the people I was with just made it seem easy
Pros
Great team to work for
Cons
Stock takes
bad
February (2017), Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire3 January 2019
very bad place to work as i was disliked by certain parts of the management, new managers also took liberties to change break times which is illegal, they make you do too many tasks at one time, worst job i have worked

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farmfoods Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8