Farmfoods Ltd Employee Reviews for Shop Assistant

Productive fast hoing enviroment
Shop Floor Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dalkeith, Midlothian28 October 2019
Very fast paced good staff oolite and funny and so helpful when you cant find item,they dont just point they actually take you to the item you need so helpful
Pros
Good laughs
Good work
Shop Floor Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Stockport16 October 2019
Was good working at farm foods, but manager was always moaning. She moaned whenever I didn't do work but I never got much help as I always had customers and barely any time to put stock on shelves.
Very busy place, non stop work great people
Shop Assistant - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Coventry13 October 2018
Date checking products
Working as a team/individual
Communication skills
Handling complaints
Pros
Learniing skills ( communication, team work, helping costomers)
enjoyable work enviroment
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester8 June 2018
Restocking shelves/ freezers. Helping customers with enquiries/ shopping. serving customers. stock taking. cleaning. Management were very helpful. Happy place to work.Hardest part of job was stocking shelves. most enjoyable was meeting customers and helping them
Pros
percentage of your shopping
Good start to a career
Shop Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull19 February 2018
Managers really care about the shop floor and the business which is good to see.
However as a young worker the pay was terrible but that is the only place I can fault. I'm happy to have been once employed by these as it was a starting point to my career. They hired me at 16 with no work experience to help me have a start.
Fun
Shop assistant and cashier (Former Employee) –  Brownhills, West Midlands18 June 2017
This job was ok was a routine job but I loved the cashier part as I work better interacting with people
I was never without something to do friendly a polite environment
Productive, Easy
Cashier/Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend2 May 2017
At Farmfoods I learned how to deal with customers and gained heavy communication skills. It was not a very enjoyable job but I have gained a lot of experience from working there.
Pros
Easy, can be enjoyable.
Cons
No breaks
Depressing, Negative.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool27 June 2016
Would get underpaid most weeks by at least 8+ hours. 16 hours contract and got made to do 50+ hours and got paid for around 20 complained to area manager but because head office doesn't deal with wages the shop manager does there was no way to prove the hours I had done because the rota had been tampered with and the CCTV in the store didn't work. Took a morning off due to a family member passing away from cancer and assistant manager accused me of lying for a day off.
Pros
Cons
Underpaid, overworked, rude management, horrible work vibes, bad communication.
It's a bareable place
Retail Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swansea10 March 2016
I worked in Farmfoods for 1 year as a retail assistant. Starting out was not so bad as I really needed the job and money so I was willing to work whatever hours I could. I wasn't use to doing such an early shift. The earliest that you will need to start is 5am and on some days depending on the other staff, I had to work 12 hours. Christmas time is absolutely manic and you are seriously pushed to your limits.

My boss at the time was terrible and only cared about themselves so there was no team effort from our "leader". I think that out of the whole time that I worked at Farmfoods, I only had about 4 or 5 sundays off.

The sunday shift requires 5am until 4:30pm. Due to it being just under 12 hours, you only get 30 minutes break which is terrible for the amount of work you need to do during that horrible shift. You have to make sure all the frozen food is put into the freezers before the shop opens if you do a 5am shift. This can put a lot of pressure on you so be prepared.

If you're the type of person who can cheer your collegues up and encourage them then you'll do okay in this type of job as that is what will get everyone through the day.
Pros
Can have a chance to meet some nice peolpe.
Cons
Terrible shift patterns, no consistant days of work. Weeks changing all the time.
productive
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, ENG30 December 2015
a typical day at work was pretty much dealing with things customers was searching for that they couldn't find and restocking shelves and freezers.
Pros
customer experience
Cons
not good pay
Productive and reliable workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  WLS11 April 2015
On a typical day I would work on tills and use my numeracy skills. Everyday I would use communications skills when talking to staff and colleagues. Managers were reliable and supportive. Always available to help when needed. All co-workers were friendly and hard working at all times. Most targets were met at all times, if not other colleges were willing to help. I don't believe there was anything hard about the job, only early 5am starts. The job was physically and mentally tolerable. I thoroughly enjoyed stock take, facing up the products and stacking the shelves.
Pros
flexible hours, plenty of overtime if need
Cons
pay was poor
Terrible place to work.
shop assistant (Former Employee) –  carmarthen12 March 2015
During my time working at Farmfoods i was miserable. The hours fluctuated wildly and you were likely to be stuck working the same shift for weeks or months. The work atmosphere was poisonous with one member of management even encouraging me to steal (i never did). The staff constantly gossiped behind each other's backs and caused arguments. The manager refused to give the minimum contracted hours and changed rotas without notifying the people it affected.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Poisonous work atmosphere
Productive workplace
shop assistance (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, ENG2 February 2015
A typical day at work was a busy and exciting because you learnt new stuff everyday. While my time at Farmfoods I learned a lot of things such as rotating dates, stock take, putting large amount of stock out, how to work a till and also making sure the place was clean and tidy up to standards.
un-organised and rushed
Shop floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  tipton2 October 2014
used to count money, and lock up the store, that was something new which i learnt to do
Pros
discount when buying from the shop
Cons
non organised
Productive, Enjoyable
Shop Assistant Work Placements (Former Employee) –  Saltcoats, SCT27 August 2014
was good t5o work with the employers and communicate with staff.
Pros
communication with staff and public
farmfoods
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, ENG15 July 2014
meeting and greet new customers. The management was great you could talk to them if you had a problem. While working at farmfoods my co-workers were helpful and great to get along with them all there wasn,t any hardest part of the job you just went and did your daily duties. Working with friends and talking to customers .
Pros
Making sure the customers got what they ask for and helping them out with things they counldn, t find
Cons
I only worked part time and sometimes didn, t get a break
rubbish place
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brierley Hill, ENG4 June 2014
this is a rubbish place to work for, it treats staff unfairly and treat you like dirt.
where do i start?
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swindon, ENG22 May 2014
its a great place to work as in things such as customers and other staff members, but I get a sence of people getting treated VERY different. ive learned a lot.
Pros
Discount, Good food, Good quality.
Cons
Long hours, Feel Different, Salary
poor management and poorly run company
full time shop assistant (Current Employee) –  Ilkeston, ENG17 April 2014
always short staffed always threatening you with disciplinary
Pros
15% discount
Cons
poor management and poor wages
Productive workplace
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool, ENG18 February 2014
On a typical day at work I would be on the till constantly.
I have learned rules and skills around the workplace.
The management team are helpful and reliable.
My co-workers are hard working and good to be around.
The hardest part of the job is stock take.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farmfoods Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8