Farmfoods Ltd Employee Reviews in Birmingham

Unbelievable
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands2 May 2019
I have worked at farmfoods for approximately a year now, it is absolutely disgusting, the stock room smells, the managers complain whenever you ask them to pay you for the overtime you complete. The pay is decent for the age range of 16-18 however this does not change once you surpass this (Until you have either worked there for 3 years, or be 20). You are also not allowed to sit down when working on the tills, and have to attempt to deal with aggressive shoplifters alone. You are also tasked with way too many job roles, and when providing customer service you get told to hurry up, but then get moaned at when customers make complaints about customer service. I honestly do not recommend unless its a last resort.
Pros
15% Discount
Cons
The store
employees
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 May 2019
its an utter disgrace the employees shout at me for making mistakes their is also rats in the store that they dont tell anyone about. They need to get shut down.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Brilliant place to work
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands30 April 2019
Farmfoods has helped me every step of the way to becoming a branch manager. I did have a good manager teach me at the time, but I believe they do hire the right people. It is a brilliant stepping stone to get into management. I started as a supervisor then became branch manager within 18 months, and I had no experience at the start. They are an understanding company with good morals and care about their staff. I've had a lot of support from higher management, which is rare to find nowadays. 45 hours is the contract however sometimes you may need to work more. If you put the effort in you get the support back. You don't really get a full lunch break due to small amounts of staff being in at the time and you need to answer the bells at the tills or the phone even if you're on your 'break.' This was never an issue for me as I prefer to just eat when I need to and can smoke if I need to. Every day is different and you will go home feeling tired but it is rewarding. Customers are usually very nice too. If you're rude they're going to be rude back, however sometimes they can be rude with no reason but that's retail for you. This job brought me a lot of confidence so I thank farmfoods for that.
Pros
15% staff discount, good stepping stone to management, understanding higher management, full training and support
Cons
Long shifts sometimes and can be tiring
Don’t do it
Manageress (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 September 2018
Possibly the worst place I have ever worked. Long hours set with minimal staff, very often 1-1. Your expected to complete all set tasks as well as work a big delivery and serve customers. Sickness is terrible in the company and the turnover of staff even worse. No support from area or divisional managers often will set you up to fail. This is supposed to be a company that lives by its values, how ever the company is driven to the complete opposite it in my eyes was treated as bullying from above. Don’t waste your time you will feel worthless and will be working 24-7 for no thanks and poor pay.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, bullying management
great place to work.
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham12 September 2018
very helpful when needed advice.
loved the people i worked with.
always friendly staff, and management were great, they were very considerate to their staff.
would work for them again.
Pros
great team to work for
Not a good place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham6 January 2018
The way i was treated by the area manager was discrimination the supervisor wasn't fair at all this is a terrible place to work,long hours an barley any breaks...
Pros
Cons
Long hours!
Terribe place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham28 December 2017
Management is terrible, they look down on you like you're some type of robot. You're expected to complete a full 6ft pallet in 45 minutes. You will probably never leave on time if you're on a closing shift , and don't expect to get paid for any overtime you do.

Avoid like the plague.
Pros
15% staff discount. Flexible.
Cons
Long unsociable hours, terrible management, stupid rules
Decent
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 July 2017
Just a job really, not much required not much gained, In my first few days of working there I had been bombarded with shifts and tasks, although on a part time contract at multiple points was working about 40hours pw. One one point my store manager had a fight outside the store funny to watch LOL
poor company
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands29 June 2017
Poor company where life balance does not happen. Call outs that happened on a regular basis are not paid for and are meant to be done on a lone basis. no recognition is given for hard work and poor procedures are in place in a LAZY retail company.
Fast paced environment
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham31 January 2017
Farmfoods is a busy / friendly store were we aim to please the customers while also putting out stock and rotation of it. I started as a cleaner and worked my way up to retail manager, The store is a mix of people from all backgrounds and ages Making sure that the delivery gets done on time.
Pros
staff are friendly
Cons
no security
good
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands10 January 2017
good but to many weekends. new tucks where good but long hours. would still be there if weekends where of. aall inside training so good on that
Pros
free dinner
Cons
lots of weekends
Poor work place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham18 August 2016
Area managers go round slagging people off. None of the managers can be trusted. You don't gets any thanks at all. Over worked silly sock takes every week.
Pros
Cons
Really bad work place
Rewarding and a fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham17 August 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed getting up for work as every day was different. A typical day at work included ensuring the store was clean and tidy, serving on the tills and ensuring a high standard of customer service. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to customers on a daily basis and giving assistance where possible. I learned how to communicate effectively with customer, use a cash register and how to ensure that all food was sold in the best possible condition.
I worked well as part of a team and became a reliable and much loved member of the team, which was made obvious when I left, as I received presents not only from co workers but also from regular customers.
The hardest part of the job was taking deliveries and stock taking but even this enabled me to have job satisfaction.
Pros
Seeing regular customers
Cons
no flexibility with hours
fun and hardwork
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham26 June 2016
Farmfoods is a well balanced company, offering excellent benefits, team are trained in all aspects of replenishment, cleaning, I have learned a lot of basics that have helped understanding business better. The hardest part of the role is home/work life balance
Pros
benefits, people
Cons
hours
managers in all of the company dont know what theyre doing
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham18 June 2016
worked there for 1year 8 months, worst time of my life. Manager was horrible, didnt do anything all day but expected you to work super hard. Left early when we needed her and wanted everyone else to work later.

Pays just above min wage and get worked 4 times harder than aldi who pay you double.

all management higher are still just as bad, take advantage of everyone. promised more but never get it. really wouldnt recommend it, same in all stored ive wporked in
Pros
15% discount
Cons
managers are rubbish, over worked, food isnt even that good.
Hgv
HGV 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham6 June 2016
Transport manager. Could organise a pi** up in a brewery if you want family life you not work there if you like putting every palletsNikki phone you phone your days off and asking you to work your days off the day before you don't get no weekends off
k
retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham19 January 2016
it was ok ish idk it wasn't good it wasn't great wouldn't recommend.

Overworked and underpaid

Always tired and customers were awful
Pros
ran round the isles at stock take for team building excersise
Cons
immature management
Dictatorship
Slave (Former Employee) –  Birmingham3 January 2016
Farmfoods is an awful company to work for. They destroy your soul, your life and any kind of life you once had. The manager at the Acocks Green branch where I worked is a complete control freak who constantly threatens disciplinary action if you do not do as you're told, no questions asked. If you have a mouth, you're a trouble maker and are forced out. If you feel you are being treated unfairly then keep it to yourself, otherwise you are a trouble maker and will be forced out. If you enjoy a workplace where you can communicate with colleagues and enjoy a bit of friendly banter with customers, look elsewhere!

Expect a work pattern? Look elsewhere. Expect to keep within legal working time regulations? Look elsewhere. Expect to be treated like a human? Look elsewhere. It has been over 4 months since I left this disgrace of a company and I am still trying to understand how and why they get away with the things they do.

Oh and don't expect union representation if you work for Farmfoods. The unions won't go near a Farmfoods employee.

At my store we were expected to work the frozen delivery, regardless of the size, within 2 hours. Often this was to be done by 1 member of staff, whilst also providing cover for the tills. As a little "assistance" the manager would put some stock onto a flatbed trolley, wheel it onto the shopfloor as if to remind you that it needs to be worked, then disappear into the office to watch the cameras so she can tell you exactly how long you are taking to work it.

Don't expect higher management to take your complaints seriously. They hand you
  more... a "retail handbook" which they call your "bible". This is full of rules and regulations for your employment. However don't dare try to follow them, as you will be threatened with disciplinary action and forced out of the door. I attempted to use this handbook as defence of an issue and was told by the area manager that I "think I have more rights than I actually do". A complete shambles of a company that drains the most positive soul until you are a former employee or an institutionalised robot with a touch of Stockholm Syndrome.

On one occasion an assistant manager was told by the store manager to discipline a member of staff for opening a change bag, thus making the cashing-up process take approximately 8 seconds longer.

On another occasion a member of staff was working on the till, in mid - summer. After 5 hours on the till she asked if she could go and get a drink of water, only to be told point blank that she was not entitled to one.

The company will happily train any staff member to a supervisory level, have them doing the management's jobs (in order for management to spend more time watching the staff on the CCTV) and then never officially promote them. Minimum wage for maximum effort is the order of the day here.

The only positive I have is the healthy 15% staff discount, which is unrestricted.

You get a break if and when the manager says you can, but don't expect one. The handbook has clear guidelines on what breaks staff are entitled to depending on the length of their shift. However, management take it upon themselves to pick and choose which rules they want to follow. Break is a dirty word in Farmfoods. 14 hour shift? Half an hour lunch, if you're lucky. Even if you are granted your break you will be timed and watched to ensure they are draining as much out of you as possible.

I could write so much more about this awful company but I fear I would go on forever. Do yourself a favour and do not apply for a job here. You will hate it and yourself within a matter of weeks.

Tl;dr: Don't apply for Farmfoods if you believe in rights, job satisfaction or a personal life!
Pros
15% staff discount
Cons
Too many to list
Not a good place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG18 September 2015
Worse company you could ever work for. Treat you like your nothing make your work 7 hours without a break. want you to be robots. the manager sits in the office all day watching you on camera they can see that you are struggling but the don't care and then the time you on how long you take to work your delivery. worse company ever keep away from them
Pros
cheap food
Cons
manager does nothing all day
Worst company ever
Retail assistant/cashier (Former Employee) –  Birmingham4 September 2015
A new nasty manager who made it clear no one in the store was good enough and made no bones on persecuting those staff to get there old staff in from there old branch, rota that was copy and pasted just to have four weeks rota on the notice board due to audit reasons, manager had set days off and if you wanted a day off it was made out that you was a selfish person and you was letting everyone down, calling in sick (which is a confidential process) you would return to work and everyone would know why you was off sick! Working till 10:30pm and being rota'd in for the open at 6:00am that breaks working rest periods was abused daily and if you spoke up you was told you may as well find another job then, delivery was put out by one assistant manager or supervisor as no staff rota'd in for delivery and tills, a poster that says do you like losing your Saturday nights? In other words staff was the reason for shrinkage not the abundant shoplifters that was let to just walk out daily! The only shoplifters caught and held was the oaps who wouldn't put up a fight, an area manager that was ruled by the manager of the store as they had no clue about running an efficient store, the main concern was facing first aisle and cleaning the car park when time sensitive stock was defrosting but a clean trolley bay was more important! Be warned its a nasty company to work for, apply at your peril you will be treated like a robot and don't expect to have a family life or friends as your not allowed to have friends at farmfoods within or out of work! Remember these words DISCIPLINARY and FOCUS ON there  more... the scare words, once a member of staff opened a bag of coins and as it made the manager do a lil more work they was told if they do it again they would be put up for a disciplinary as of there actions!  less
Pros
Cons
long shifts, poor pay, stock takes, manager, area manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farmfoods Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8