Explore Learning Employee Reviews

Treated like an animal!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Luton/Dunstable14 April 2019
The managers are nasty and condescending! They are rude to your face. Pay is beyond a joke and you’re expected to do everything. Work hours are draining. You get paid nothing for the amount you do. Managers literally shout in your face when anything goes wrong but get away with everything themselves. There is clear favouritism in the workplace and pay rise is once a year and goes up by 20p. I worked here for a few months and jumped at the chance to leave. DO NOT WORK HERE!
Pros
Any sort of pay
Cons
Manipulative managers, low pay, no consideration for the fact that you have a life outside of work, clear favouritism and worked to death!
Fun Workplace
Tutor (Current Employee) –  London13 April 2019
I love working at explore, everyday is there's something new and exciting to do with the kids. You meet lot's of new people all the time and get to know the children better as you work. On a typical day I would have a zone with 6 children all with different abilities, some children more quiet than others who I would ask more questions to. I would spend some time in surf club playing games with the children and if it's quiet tidying up the folders and general marking. The job maybe challenging sometimes with children who don't want to listen however you will always get lots of help from your colleagues or managers to deal with this. The only downfall of the job is the pay rate, compared to most tuition centers or private tuition.
Pros
socials every month
Cons
pay rate
Fun workplace
Part Time Tutor (Former Employee) –  New Barnet8 April 2019
It was a lovely place to work, the children were so funny and greeted me with a smile even on a bad day. Every shift was different! It was satisfying to watch children grow in confidence thanks to my help!
Terrible pay for what you are expected to do
Tutor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 March 2019
Certain managers were always very patronising towards you and didn't help out much when things were tough. Also, despite having taught additional content, managing the front desk and being sales trained by pay of 5.60/hour was no increased. Hours were long and tiring and definitely not worth it.
Pros
Kids were fun
Cons
Poor pay, tiring job
Great company
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Essex21 March 2019
I have been working at Explore learning as a tutor for a year and a half now. To start with, I struggled to juggle everything, but after support from other tutors and managers, I am very confident at my role now.

Training opportunities are fantastic and working hours are so flexible. The 6:1 ratio can be challenging, but practice makes perfect! I have so much respect for the company and hope to progress into a manger role because I don't want to leave the company!

Pay at first is not great, but it does get reviewed and goes up every year which is great.
Pros
Flexible hours, children are great
Cons
Sometimes expected to do too much
Good to learn new skills, flexible hours
Tutor (Current Employee) –  New Barnet4 February 2019
I enjoyed working with Explore Learning, but i saw no room for myself to grow professionally there.
It was good hours to work and management were very flexible with working hours.
Training sessions were very helpful and group training was enjoyable.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
No room for growth
Management was vile
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 February 2019
This may have been personal to my centre, but the management were absolutely horrible. They were patronising and condescending. I went home crying multiple times because of the way I had been treated. I was working for £4.75 when I first started (I was 17) and for that money, I was not only tutoring but I was literally cleaning the managers' office, I was running extra sessions of creative maths on a Monday night AND I was made to clean a child's poo out of the sink with my BARE HANDS. Looking back now, I should have stood up for myself but I was only 17. Honestly, do not do it to yourself. The company is horrible
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Vile managers
Fun workplace
TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Abbey Wood29 January 2019
A typical day at work is a minimum of about four hours per shift and as a tutor I spent it running one hour sessions of tutoring per child. I was in charge of six children at a time from the ages of 5 - 14. It was fairly straightforward and simple and during the session I just had to assist them with their work and the write a summary of their session for the parent. The management are very understanding and the team is usually very friendly and welcoming.
Pros
Set hours, friendly staff
Cons
Hard to find shift cover
Fab First Job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset28 December 2018
A typical day was working hard for the duration of the shift, which was the main reason standard shifts are 3-6 hours rather than any longer. You have to have high focus, great communication, teamwork, and the skill set require to teach children of all ages. But it was worth it definitely. The management were high strung but lovely people who were very helpful, and I have made lots of friends with colleagues with ease.

The hardest part was balancing your responsibilities but that was something i was always working on and never stopped. Definitely the best part is building bonds with colleagues, kids, parents, and knowing that you directly helped a child learn.

Only bad point really is that youre expected to be happy to receive £5-£10 per hour when people on the tills at sainsburys get the same for scanning cereal. If pay was 75% higher i think employee satisfaction and productivity would be rapidly increased.
Friendly and engaging
Tutor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Sydenham20 November 2018
Really lively environment to work in, the staff are very friendly and create a welcoming environment. the children are eager to learn and are excited to talk about their work.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Late training sessions
27 November 2018

Thanks for reviewing your experience of tutoring. The atmosphere at the Sydenham centre sounds fantastic! Thanks for your contribution as a Tutor, and all the best for the future.

Lovely workplace
Tutor - Part time (Former Employee) –  Kent31 October 2018
Working at Explore learning is highly rewarding and excellent character building experience. It can be difficult to get many hours in as a tutor as opening times are limited.
28 November 2018

Thanks for reviewing your experience as a tutor at Explore. I am pleased you found it so rewarding! All the best for the future.

Explore Learning
Centre Director (Current Employee) –  Essex19 October 2018
Explore Learning is a great company to work for if you're wanting to try your hand at a lot of roles. I've gained so much experience in management, training, recruitment and customer service to name a few!

Every day at Explore is different and you're able to cultivate your own teams in centre. The training provided for the management roles is excellent and is available regardless of your length of service/performance throughout your career. Explore Learning are keen to develop all of their staff and progression is supported and encouraged.

However, the working hours are very unsociable, especially if you are an Assistant Director. A typical work day runs from 11-8 and you will sometimes need to give up a weekend day to work a sales and marketing event (although you can take it back in lieu).
Pros
Variety
28 November 2018

Thanks for your review! It is great that you have gained such a huge amount of experience and benefitted from the training and development. Thank you also for your honest feedback about the hours. We know they can be a challenge but we want to ensure we operate at the best time for families to benefit from Explore. All the best for your continued career at Explore, and do reach out to our HR team if you want to provide any further feedback.

Tutor (Current Employee) –  London28 September 2018
A great platform for those who wish to develop their skills in tutoring others as well as working together as a team t o produce very innovative and great lessons
28 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience as a tutor at Explore. All the best!

productive and fun place
TUTOR (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 September 2018
The tutor role consists of tutoring a zone of 6 children at a time, or marking or running workshops during school term holidays. I have learnt some how to efficiently manage my time as well as how to prepare and run classes. The hardest part of the job is maintaining enthusiasm after hours of consistent tutoring. The most enjoyable part of the job is building rapport with children and getting to know them. There's a friendly working atmosphere and colleagues are supportive .
Productive and fun workplace.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  London17 September 2018
Explore learning is a very professional institution which holds the satisfaction of customers and workers in high regards. It has a very warm working atmosphere as family is a key virtue.
Busy and disorganised workplace
Part-time Tutor (Former Employee) –  London6 September 2018
The job was fairly easy but very tiring as a student looking for part-time work. The system by which a tutor must take care of 6 different pupils at a time, all with ranging abilities made time management difficult as they all required attention in different areas. Pay was extremely low given the level of work tutors were expected to do. However, there is flexibility in shift times, which is ideal for a student looking for part-time work.
Pros
Flexible Shifts
Cons
Low pay
Great
Tutor/Compere (Former Employee) –  Peterborough3 September 2018
Teaching kids is so rewarding, I think it made me look at life differently.
Enjoyed all the hard work and the rewards, shame I couldn't get long hours to sustain myself
Informative and fun workplace
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Rugby9 August 2018
You are coached at a rate suitable for you. You get the opportunity to connect with many talented individuals and watch them develop their own skills whilst forming a unique rapport with you. Work is relatively easy and learning how to tutor the children is done so in an interactive way from the managers. The environment is fun and relatively stress free.
Pros
Developing unique rapports with different students
Cons
Pay is rather minimal
Questionable aims
Part-time Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex6 August 2018
Typical day at work: tutoring 6:1 ratio. Management was quite poor. Refusal to provide certain bonuses promised. Interaction with children best part.
Cons
Cares a lot more about the money-making side than providing a decent standard of education
Happy working environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Altrincham5 August 2018
Rewarding to help children
More focused on quantity than quality
Multi tasking and keeping up with all pupils may be difficult
Workplace is very friendly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Explore Learning. Our community is ready to answer.