Explore Learning

Explore Learning Employee Reviews

United Kingdom136 reviews
Best thing about the job: the families

Hardest thing about the job: worklife balance as will have to work past 8pm on most days and one weekend day per month
Tutors and Center Managers were overworked and under qualified. It is essentially a glorified day-care center/nursery. Tutors are paid minimum wage with very little to no progression, minor pay increase went to friends of the managers rather than well performing tutors. Additionally the title of 'Tutor' was misleading. Actually, tutors were responsible for recording a handful of questions that the pupils answered on a basic computer program. There was no time to teach considering each student got an average of 10 minutes of tutor time per hour (since tutorials were in rolling groups of 6) and in those 10 minutes several questions and a summary of the student's progress had to be written down.

Bad place to work, bad service to use (unless you just want day-care).
Pros
Nice to work with kids
Cons
Bad pay, bad hours, bad service
Had a generally good time whilst working here. The kids are the ones who make this job worthwhile. Very heavily sales driven, and you have some very stressful days.
Pros
Varied days
Cons
Long hours, stressful days
My branch managers were enthusiastic and kind. While I didn't agree with the systems in place for rewarding respectful behaviour, as I believe it should be an expectation, the environment for tutoring was fun. The hours were hard long-term as I had an hour travel time either side.
Miła atmosfera, przyjaźni uczniowie. Zapewnione materiały do nauki
No two days are the same at Explore Learning. The colleagues and the managers are all really nice. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be tutoring and getting to know everyone.
The most fantastic thing about Explore Learning is the variety of roles which you cover in your day to day activities. You cover marketing, recruitment, education, sales, business management, and many more topics! Therefore, it can really help you find out what you want to do as a long term career. However, the role is incredibly tiring as you have to run the centre successfully, grow the business, train the staff and complete all the admin. As it is so all consuming, it's not a sustainable position long term.
Pros
Training Opportunities
Cons
Work-Life Balance
Fun
Everyday is new

Management is approachable and flexible

Hardest part is multi-tasking with so many children

Most enjoyable part is working with the other tutors and managers
I love working with kids and if you do as well you will love working at explore for the first month or two, Then you'll remember that this is a business and they don't care too much about you or even the children.
It is a warm and welcoming environment with the most loveliest and kind teaching staff. Children look forward to coming to Explore Learning as they make learning fun and enjoyable which leads to happy appreciative parents, but most importantly the children are gaining all the education tools needed to be successful at school
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Explore Learning?
Fun to work with children and I got to improve my own maths and English skills in the process when I taught the older GCSE kids. Overall enjoyed working here
Management has recently changed and they do not understand how to professionally run a business. They favour some staff members over others and are discriminatory and unfair. But working with the children is great.
Being a part time tutor at Explore Learning is a fun and enjoyable job. I would especially recommend this job as a first time job. There is never a dull day at Explore.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Sometimes busy
Horrible place to work despite all the positive emphasis on team work. Instead of tutoring I was sent to the shop to buy manager's lunch on multiple occasions. Very rude management and multiple people left in the short time I was there, understandably so.
The company, while claiming to be creating creating ‘confident, fearless learners’ is nothing more than a for-profit company exploiting parents concerns about their child’s learning and progress at school.

Pros:

1. A great team and some really friendly tutors.

2. Interacting with the members (children) was fun (certainly a different job to most student jobs).

Cons:

1. 6 to 1 ratio of members to tutor is an incredibly flawed and target driven scheme. You will never have enough time to actually support the members learning.

2. Pay is shockingly bad, even after a year there you’ll have to have another income to supplement your explore salary.

3. Fundamentally it’s not about educating (they do that at school). It’s about saying they’re achieving their potential by coming to an explore centre by writing ‘session notes’ (if you work there, you’ll know all about session notes!). Obviously parents will be concerned about 11+ exams and so on, and certainly if their child is struggling at school. Explore advertises itself as the key to unlock your child’s potential. Nothing could be further from the truth. This is a for profit company, not like a public sector organisation.

4. Managers are bone idle. If the centre were full, they’ll be sitting in their office writing emails/checking on tutors etc. Nothing particularly productive.

5. This is speculation but I doubt going to explore improves a child’s grades. Some members there were clearly already extremely bright before coming and would thus get decent grades anyway. Some members frankly had no hope (I’m not being
 - more...
It’s quite a good environment, however with the work they expect you to do and put up with it isn’t worth it. Most of the managers are nice however there was one who felt they knew everything. Furthermore the devil itself session notes. Were so gruelling that all the staff tried their hardest to not actually do their job. This was a toxic attribute all staff had.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a tutor at Explore Learning. It is a perfect place for anyone who enjoys working with children with a passion for eduction. It is also a great place to work along side studying as it is a part time role but you will still gain valuable experience, such as working with children, teaching strategies, planning and also marketing as well as management skills.
Overall Explore is a nice and friendly company to work for, the management have a sound vision for what they want to drive forward with to grow and provide a good service.
From a employee point of view the vast majority of staff are approachable and cooperative, there is generally a feeling of everyone working towards a collaborative goal.

In addition to the above the staff do take part in outside social activities and fund raising events.
For a part-time Tutor role, Explore is fantastic. It’s (generally) flexible and rewarding, even in the very busy periods.
I wish I could say the same for the managerial roles. I was an exceptional Tutor, and was therefore encouraged to apply internally for the Assistant Director post.

I would advise Explore to advertise this role as sales-lead within the Education Sector, rather than an education-lead role with ‘a bit of sales’. If you care about and value physically teaching children, this is not the role for you. It is heavily sales and target lead, with constant accountability checks and pressures. So much of the job relies on saying X, Y, and Z that you think your superiors want to hear and you have very little actual involvement with the children you are supposedly providing for. The entire company is based on a façade; the passion for education is merely skin-deep and those who are successful in the company are money and target driven. You find yourself blagging (lying) your way through most interactions because the main incentive is a trial booking/sign up/box to tick. I actually had my line manager tell me they ‘didn’t care about the children’ and that their motivation was ‘the monetary bonuses for target hitting’.

This is an education provider for children.

There is no such thing as a work/life balance. The hours are long and very unsociable, and your only socialising is available within the Explore bubble. You end up working your days off, traipsing around neighbourhoods dropping leaflets through people’s doors or standing for hours at a time in some shopping
 - more...
flexible, short shift and lovely to work on helping kids learn. sometimes management can expect too much of you, and they have a quick staff turnover.
Centres alter in professionalism, I believe some are more professional than others.
I enjoy getting to know the kids and parents the most.

I learnt a lot about time management, behaviour management and organisation.

Not ideal for someone not studying alongside working at explore, not enough hours are available.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Explore Learning. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9