Exova Employee Reviews

decent employer
machine shop tech (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City1 May 2018
irregular hours for job turn around,very unpredictable .Can be very rewarding working as a team effort to complete workload if all participate,weld school was labourious to assist as constant variables.
Treated like slaves most of the time!
Technician (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire14 April 2018
The job itself is interesting, starting from the bottom, as a trainee, but the management is very very poor. You are TOLD that you are doing a job, last minute, that could require you to work away, overnights for the whole week. Nothing is organised in advance and everything gets left until the last minute. The only positives are that you can stay in decent hotels when working away and you get meal allowances, but usually after a 12/13 hour day, you don’t quite get to enjoy the benefits. There are no plans in place to start from the bottom, and work your way up, you are left to almost beg for any progression, even then it doesn’t happen. Also, they tend to promote staff based on how long they have worked for the company, no matter how terrible their work rate may be, rather than reward hard work from newer members of staff.

Overall, if you value your family or life outside of work, this isn’t a job for you.
Pros
Free lunches and evening meals when staying away
Cons
Ridiculous hours, unsafe working conditions at times and terrible management and planning
NDT Technician (Current Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands22 January 2018
Great working environment and plenty of opportunities to further your own personal career. Great working atmosphere and a positive work ethic all round.
Ok
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham4 January 2018
Not satisfying work hours.
Hard work, requires you to be on the ball at all times.
Met some great friends here.
My supervisor was amazing, management above her was not. Supervisor left shortly after myself, due to being unhappy and awful pay for long hours.
Pros
good friends
Cons
Long hours, bad pay
Good place to learn new skills for the future
Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands19 July 2017
Good place to learn new skills and advance via external courses and training. Provides a decent level of testing and pricing is good compares to competitors
A difficult culture
Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  UK7 April 2017
Too much internal competition and wasteful duplication of sales effort which provides the client with a confusing and dislocated product offering. A case of less (Exova sales visits) would definitely represent more - in terms of efficient use of sales time and less confusion for the client..
Ordinary
Senior Metallurgist (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 February 2017
My main task was to use metallurgical method to investigate failed metallic components (welding) as required by the client. The materials were mainly different metals (ferrous and non-ferrous) as well as coatings. The main failure modes were corrosion, fatigue, brittle and ductile failure. I am very pleased with what I achieved in Exova: To apply my understanding to failure appearance and microstructural changes, as well as to report the results concisely based on evidence and logical conclusions.

The management in the company was poor.
Awful senior management
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 January 2017
Good lab and site manager to work for/with, training was poor, great staff, most enjoyable was being left alone to do your job. The company as an whole is terrible and would not think twice at the strike of a pen to close you down, to save themselves and the job cronyism is rife, good people who are more qualified than the management have been forsaken. It was a great job/place until new management was bought in, but went downhill from there, this is like this all over Exova, they destroyed the lab where I worked.
Pros
salary paid, free coffee
Cons
bad management, ruthless attittude
Avoid at all cost
Technician (Current Employee) –  Hillington13 June 2016
Terrible working environment, forced overtime at short notice no work life balance. A job here is like waving good bye to freedom and personal choice
Pros
Wage
Cons
stressful toxic environment to work
Engineer Technician (Current Employee) –  daventry3 June 2016
. Personally it had been the worse work experience in my life. stressful and toxic environment.

. don't feel everyone has been treated equally inside the lab. manager speak in tough language with staff at the bottom hiaracy.

. the isn't any organized training

. Lab general manager can change the rules inside the lab without discussing changes with staff.

. simply old way of management feel like I am working in 1950s
Pros
it is good as fresh graduate first position to fill your cv and move one as quickly as possible
Cons
no respect to employee rights, old management style, stressful and toxic
Excellent Work Colleagues Forced Together By Trying Times
Anon (Current Employee) –  Salford27 April 2016
Exova is not a bad place to work if you only aspire to take a paycheck home at the end of every month. The short term planning, accounting focus and poor leadership of the upper management will leave everyone else feeling frustrated and stymied.

Despite (and perhaps a product of) this, there is a work force bonded together though shared trials. You could not ask for a better group of people to work with. With up to 40 people in our particular branch I would feel comfortable chatting to anyone of these individuals for social or work related reasons.

If you need work place experience and can survive on pittance this is the place for you, just don't stay for too long.
Pros
Good experience in a large industrial sector and close knit work force
Cons
Poor leadership and long term planning skills displayed by management
friendly work colleaques
lab op/technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham9 April 2016
I learned a lot at my current place of work . I have got more knowledge about food process ,extraction for different elements . I work very close to heavy metal analyst and I can learn about heavy metals contained inside food. Work colleaques are very helpful and happy to share their knowledge .
Good Experience
Sales (Current Employee) –  Scotland17 March 2016
Sales Role, Challenging targets. Very Driven environment. Good Exposure to a Testing Market. On the whole a solid company to work for that generally look after their staff well
Microbiology Lab Technician
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Hillington7 March 2016
An ok place to work, I had a great manager and worked with a really good team of people but the work is not easy and we often had to do forced overtime.

Ended up leaving because there was no work/life balance as on some occasions we would work 15 hours and leave at midnight.
Pros
Learned a lot in a short period of time due to overtime
Cons
forced overtime
fun working environment
Sample Reception Operator - Exova (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG24 January 2016
Really enjoyable job, if given the chance i would work here again any day of the week, sadly been let go and have a week left.
professional workplace
WORKSHOP ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, newbridge8 October 2015
exova is a world wide company based in the oil and gas industry testing metal for strength resulting in certification for metal being used for public use such as bridges or beams for tall building and pipes under the sea for oil flow.
Productive workplace
Asbestos Administrator (Current Employee) –  Glasgow - Hillington5 September 2015
I enjoy this role as it allows me to work on my own initiative and be assertive with my own workload. The only negative aspect of this role is my salary.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
long hours and low salary.
It's a job
Laboratory Technician - Water Microbiology (Former Employee) –  Glasgow5 May 2015
Microbiology department in Glasgow is a pretty poor place to work.
There is no support or structure and no where to turn with regards to line manager or HR due to them being based in London and Edinburgh.

There is no choice with regards to over time and employees only know they will be working over time an hour before the shift is due to finish which leads to a 12 hour shift at short notice.
Cons
Expected/forced over time
Life in a small laboratory
Lab/SamplePrep/Shipping&Receiving/Login Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort St John13 April 2015
A typical day at work starts with looking at the task list and seeing what rush samples are due that day, and immediately starting on prepping or analyzing them, depending on how far we got the previous day. The radio can be heard playing some upbeat song to maintain a fun atmosphere. Before an hour feels like it's gone by it's between 11 am and 2pm, and my stomach starts growling. So I finish my task, and tell a coworkers the status of the days work and go on lunch break. After lunch we begin to prepare for the next day. Equipment gets cleaned, someone starts the analysis that needs to spin for 16 hrs, or sit overnight. Pretty soon it's been 8 hrs and everything's under control and I go home, or I realize it's 7pm, I've been working 12hrs and it's closing time. One week in four, I'm also on call, so if the phone rings, a client has a sample that I need to return to work to get it spinning or in the oven to dry for the next day.
Management is supportive, understanding about sick days, and appreciative of the hard work and long hours put in.
Co-workers are nice people, as hard working as myself, and we even try to spend time outside of work together.
The hardest part of the job is being on call, because I am so paranoid about falling asleep and answering the phone in my sleep and not actually waking up. So as a result, by the end of the week, I'm exhausted because I'm not sleeping on top of working hard at work.
Pros
Love the work flexibility, Good boss, good co-workers
Cons
Worked a lot of overtime
Ok
Process production Administrator (Current Employee) –  england24 March 2015
Overall good place to work with a good team of people. However there is very little opportunity to advance within the company.
Pros
9-5
Cons
little advancement, poor pay structure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exova. Our community is ready to answer.